Start of something new

Point of No Return

Sapphire High, was a school that was located at the top of a hill. Isolated from the town, only selected people could apply and get accepted into Sapphire high. The school had two fractions, the morning and the night fractions. The morning or day classes, were filled with humans. Some of which were known and trained as hunters, vampire hunters. Most however, are normal human beings that do not know about the existence of vampires.

The night classes on the other hand, were filled with creatures of the night, vampires. Many people think that vampires would turn into dust under the sun, are afraid of garlics and avoid churches. Some people also think that vampires do not exist, all of these were just misconceptions that people often have of them. They are probably as real as humans are. Not many people know that the people they encounter could be vampires, they lived perfectly normal lives just as anybody else. They could eat normal human food as well.

There are three classes of vampires in the world. The first class being the A-rank vampires which are pure bloods. Which even the hunters’ association, the council revered. The second class, B-rank vampires which are half pure bloods and lastly there is the level E vampires. This class consisted of vampires that have lost control of their normal instincts and started going berserk. When a human gets bitten by a level E, they would transform and become a level E as well. This is why vampire hunters existed, they do not actually attack just any vampires they see. They only hunted for level Es, which had been a constant threat for decades.

 

 

Lee Sungmin, came from a family of hunters, his parents were the head of the council. His partner and best friend, Lee Hyukjae. The both of them became friends through their parents. Hyukjae’s parents were also members of the council and they had been best friends since they were young. The two boys studied and stayed in SM high, training to be established and recognised hunters just like their parents. Having good skills and talents, they were always the top of their classes.

One day, the two boys were sent to town due to reports of level E sightings. They each had their weapons in their hands as they walked down and surveyed the town.

“There seem to be more level E sightings recently. I heard that the council wanted us to do routine checks from today onwards.” The taller of the two boys said casually, with his right hand in his pocket, holding his gun.

“I heard appa mentioning that the alleys were the most dangerous. Shall we walk in and check?” The shorter of the two gestured with his right hand, his left hand holding a sheathed katana. Their weapons were made such that it would not injure humans but were proven to be lethal when it came to dealing with vampires.

“Stick close to me, Hyuk.” Sungmin said as they walked into a dark alley, where sunlight was completely blocked off due to the towering buildings.

“This would definitely be the perfect hiding place, if you asked me.” Hyukjae commented jokingly, holding his gun out as they walked.

 

Just then, they could see a figure shift from a distance before them. They immediately went into defence mode, when it jumped in front of them. Hyukjae shot at the creature once, and Sungmin ran his sword through it.

Just as they were sure they had taken down the monster. Another one jumped from above them and pounced on Hyukjae, pinning him on the floor. Sungmin turned around when he heard the scream from his partner, who was now lying on the floor unconscious.

He dug into his back pocket pulling out his gun and shot at the monster. As it released Hyukjae, it turned around and flung Sungmin against the wall. Just before the monster could reach him, a figure stood in front of him and tore it with his bare hands.

The man that stood before him, picked the wounded Hyukjae and slung him over his shoulders. Sungmin staggered as he pushed himself up using the wall as the man walked over to him.

Sungmin’s cheeks flushed up when he saw who his saviour was.  “Thank you, Kyuhyun-shi. I can bring him back to the dorms.” He reached out to take his partner, where he stumbled and fell in the process.

“Don’t be silly, you are badly injured yourself. Let me bring the both of you back, my car is just outside this alley.” The said man lifted him up, his eyes which were bright red moments ago turned back to its normal shade of brown.

Cho Kyuhyun, the president of the night class and the direct descendent of the Cho family of purebloods. They were the strongest vampire bloodline and the council and other families knew to steer away from fights with them. These purebloods could easily wipe out all of the families in the council, effortlessly.

 

 

“Oh, Kyuhyun, you are back. Oh my! What happened to the both of you?” The headmaster of the school, Leeteuk rushed up to the boys who had just showed up in his office.

“There were level E sightings in town, the council sent us to investigate and eliminate.” Sungmin replied as he slumped onto a nearby chair.

“The council sent the both of you into town? Why did I not hear of it?” The headmaster scratched his head in confusion, he would always be the first to hear news from the council.

“The head of the council contacted us, last night.” Sungmin turned his head and looked at the door, when a soft knock sounded from the door. A skinny boy wearing the night class uniform walked in and bowed to Kyuhyun and the head master.

“I called Ryeowook to come, he would be healing your wounds.” Kyuhyun, who had been leaning on the wall behind Sungmin, spoke.

Ryeowook kneeled beside Hyukjae and placed his hands above his body, a green light emitting from his hands. “He knocked his head too hard, but he is alright. He should wake up in a few hours from now. I have taken away the pain in his head and healed his wounds.” The green light disappeared from his hands and stood up walking over to Sungmin.

Sungmin closed his eyes when the boy stood before him. He could feel a gentle, warmth emitting from the latter. He opened his eyes when he felt the warmth and the pain he felt before disappear. “I have healed up your wounds, the both of you should probably stay in bed for the rest of the day.” Sungmin watched as Ryeowook bowed once again to the headmaster and to Kyuhyun before excusing himself.       

“I’ll bring the both of you back to your rooms.” Kyuhyun pushed himself off the wall and walked over to pick the still unconscious Hyukjae up. Sungmin nodded and bowed to the headmaster, following Kyuhyun out of the headmaster’s office.

 

“Ring ring” Leeteuk turned around at the sound of his phone ringing. He sighed and walked over to his desk and answered the phone.

“Oh Heechul, yes I heard. You should have told me that you sent them out. No, they are fine, just slightly wounded. One of my students healed them. You mean every day? I can’t have my best students missing class. Alright then, I will make this an exception only if you agree to my request.” Leeteuk sighed as he hung up the call.

He hated it when the council made decisions on their own and his students would end up getting injured in the process. However, he had no choice but to follow the orders of the council. He had to protect the students in his school, both the day and night class. After all, Leeteuk was a high-ranking vampire hunter himself.

 

  

 

“Say, Min. Why do we need those two guys to follow us for our checks?” Hyukjae whispered to his partner, pointing his thumb towards the two men trailing behind them.

The day after their last mission, Hyukjae and Sungmin were about to leave for their checks when two boys walked up to them.

“Sungmin-shii, Hyukjae-shii. I am Donghae and this is Ryeowook, the president told us to be your escorts in your checks starting from today.” The boy flashed a pretty smile and stretched out his hand. Sungmin and Hyukjae looked at one another, confused. They reached out and shook their hands.

“Well, if Kyuhyun-shii sent them, it should be under the request of the headmaster… Come on Hyukkie, after all Kyuhyun saved our lives yesterday. Don’t be so sulky.” Sungmin slung his arm over his best friend’s shoulders and rubbed his fist on the latter’s face.

“But Min…” Hyukjae was interrupted when his best friend suddenly pulled him backwards, stopping him in his steps. Hyukjae looked up and saw the sight in front of them. There were countless of bodies lying on the floor, their life force being out of them.

 

“Can a level E really do that?” Sungmin could hear Donghae mutter under his breath, from behind him. “The two of you stay here, we will go check on those people.” Donghae said as they walked over to observe the dead bodies.

“In my 16 years as a hunter, I probably have never seen such a sight before…” Hyukjae was shocked. Sure, they encountered many dead bodies before, but not so many at once.

“Let’s try to find that level E, Hyuk. We have to stop it before more people die and find out.” Sungmin pulled his best friend and walked into the town. Just then, a scream could be heard from ahead. They took out their weapons and ran towards the sound.  

In front of them stood a guy, his eyes were bright red and blood was flowing out from his mouth. “Food… More food…” His eyes glowed red as he ran towards them.

Hyukjae took out his gun and shot at him. The vampire didn’t seem to be affected by the bullets, and continued towards them as more bullets were shot. Sungmin jumped up and gave it a flying kick. The vampire staggered and Sungmin landed another kick on him. He jumped and ran his sword vertically through the head of the vampire, giving it a deep cut on its head. They were shocked when they noticed that the vampire’s wounds regenerated as though nothing had happened.

“What’s going on? Why is it regenerating!?” Hyukjae took out another gun from inside his pocket and aimed his shots at the vampire. “He probably is stronger than most level E, due to the number of people he killed.” Sungmin mumbled in response, keeping his sword in the sheath and taking out his daggers.

“Help me with this, Hyuk.” Hyukjae knew that once Sungmin changed to use his daggers, it meant that he was serious. Hyukjae aimed both his guns at the vital points and Sungmin flung his daggers hitting all of them as Hyukjae shot. As Sungmin threw more daggers, it pinned the vampire on the floor and Sungmin ran over with his katana through the creature’s body. He winced in pain when the creature gripped his leg just before he turned into ashes.  

“Min! You are bleeding!” Hyukjae kept his guns and ran over to his best friend’s side. Just then, they reached our for their weapons and turned around at the sound of footsteps approaching them.

“Kyuhyun-shi…”

 

  

 

“Where were you guys, when I specifically told you to take care of them.” Kyuhyun’s eyes flashed with anger at the two boys kneeling in front of him. “You could have called for backups to help you inspect on the bodies, while you guys followed them. I expect better results from now on.” Kyuhyun turned and walked away.

Kyuhyun knew that he owed the headmaster some explanation, especially since it was a request that the headmaster had asked of him. When he turned the corner, he saw the boy he liked standing before him, outside the headmaster’s office. The said boy turned and smiled at him when he heard footsteps approaching him. His smile seemed to brighten up the dark halls of the school.

“Kyuhyun-shi, thanks for your help and for sending Donghae and Ryeowook to help us.” Kyuhyun couldn’t help but smile when he sees the beautiful face before him.

“I apologise for their mistake today, I have already reprimanded them. They won’t leave your sides when you go for inspections from now on.” Kyuhyun watched as the boy’s eyes trembled and another smile flashed on his face. “Kyuhyun-shii, they did nothing wrong. I am fine now, Hyukjae is too. So please don’t scold them.”

“Sungmin, you may come in.” Kyuhyun could hear the headmaster’s voice from behind the door. Sungmin flashed another smile at Kyuhyun before he turned and entered the headmaster’s office.

 

  

 

That night, Sungmin couldn’t sleep. He couldn’t stop thinking of the level E they had encountered. He stood up and looked at his sleeping partner, before leaving the room quietly. His phone buzzed as soon as he stepped out of his room.

“Omma? Is something wrong?” Sungmin asked as he answered the call, he walked quietly down the corridors.

“Min, are you alright? I heard about the level E you encountered today. It was your first encounter, right?” Sungmin sat down on the stairs. Propping his arm on his knees, holding the phone on his ears.

“Omma, how is it possible that it could get so strong? That regeneration speed too.” Sungmin remembered how no matter how many bullets it had taken, it could still have so much strength.

“They get stronger whenever they kill people. The more blood they drink, the faster their regeneration becomes. Min, there was something that I mentioned to you before very long ago. Level E can be pureblood too.” Sungmin was shocked, he couldn’t remember if Heechul had mentioned it to him before. It came as a shock to him, how can purebloods become level Es?

“But… how?” Sungmin leaned his head against the cool railings of the staircase. “Purebloods that goes berserk, they can turn into level Es. They are much stronger, and uncontrollable.” Sungmin turned around at the familiar voice behind him. Standing there, under the glint of the moonlight was Kyuhyun.

“Ah, was that Kyuhyun? Hi Kyuhyun.” Sungmin heard Heechul said through the line. “Hi Heechul. It’s been awhile.” Kyuhyun said as he walked down the stairs. “Say hi to Hankyung for me. I’ll walk you back, Sungmin.” Sungmin said he goodbyes to Heechul and hung up, looking up at Kyuhyun.

“Kyuhyun-shii, how do purebloods turn into level E?” Sungmin stood up and followed Kyuhyun.

“They let their blood lust take over them, that was how level E first came into existance. A and B rank vampires going berserk and start turning humans into level E.” Sungmin was confused at the new information that was just presented before him.

“Was that vampire just now? A pureblood too?” Sungmin asked quietly clenching his fist tightly at the thought. He looked up when he felt himself get pulled into an embrace. “No, that was a B-rank. Purebloods are hard to kill. Normal hunters cannot kill them. Leeteuk and Heechul probably killed a couple of them before. The scar you see on Hankyung’s face, was caused by a pureblood.”  

Sungmin gaped, he never knew that his parents had killed purebloods before. These informations were too much for him to take. Kyuhyun took a look at the confused Sungmin and smiled. He leaned down and pressed his lips on Sungmin’s.

“Don’t think too much about it, it’s late. Go and rest.” He took another look at the confused and blushing Sungmin before walking back down the dark hallway.

 

-TBC-

 

A.N: I initially wanted to make this into a one-shot… but I have so much in mind, I’m thinking of making it into a mini-series… Hope you guys like it 😃 Do subscribe and comment 😃 comments makes me happy. 😊