Awaken

Evermore

Jung Taekwoon paced the hospital room, unable to relax, to sit still for even a moment. The man in the bed remained unconscious, hooked to tubes for hydration, nourishment, and even for air. Terror kept him active, one his toes, as though he could fix everything simply from walking long enough.

 

“He still out?” Jaehwan slipped into the room, holding out a paper cup of coffee. “I’m not staying long. You were right. I really ed up for him. He doesn’t need me by his side when he wakes up. Besides, I need to beg Daewon for forgiveness.”

 

“He’s not going to want to see me when he comes to either.” Taking the coffee, Taekwoon took a small sip as he moved back and forth across the floor.

 

“No. Probably not.” Agreeing, Jaehwan patted Taekwoon’s shoulder gently. “But I know Hakyeon, and you’ve always been the one he needed. Just. Take care of him, okay?”

“If he’ll let me, I will give my everything for that man.” Taekwoon nodded, returning to Hakyeon’s side. “I would do anything Cha Hakyeon.”

 

“I see that now.” Sighing, Jaehwan gave Hakyeon a longing look before leaving the room, nearly sprinting in his over emotional state.

 

“What have I done to you?” Whispering, Taekwoon ran his fingers through the sleeping man’s hair. “You deserved none of this.” Slowly, he lowered himself to the chair beside the bed, suddenly overwhelmed with the urge to watch the other man slumber.

 

Glancing over at the large object he had stolen from Wonshik’s home, he thought a moment before going to retrieve it. Once there had been a time when the mere presence of this giant, plush object had caused him anger and jealousy, now... Well now it was the least he could do to return it to Hakyeon. That large stuffed bear, a gift from Wonshik before Taekwoon had even accepted Hakyeon into his life, smiled up at him, oblivious to the darkness that had befell the people whose love it symbolized.

 

“You’ll bring him happiness, wont you?” Questioning the bear, he sat back down, holding it to his chest. “Dry his tears and give him comfort until I am allowed to do it myself...” Carefully, he placed the bear beside Hakyeon, hoping the mere presence of it would be enough to bring the other man back from the brink.

 

 

Cha Hakyeon took a shaky breath, a familiar scent filling his nostrils. Something warm and rich that always reminded him of the color gold, the smell of Wonshik. Opening his mouth to speak, he found himself incapable of such actions. A foreign intrusion forbade his vocal chords from producing more than a small whimper. Fear filled him and his eyes shot open as he reached for whatever was crammed down his throat.

 

“Hakyeon. Hakyeon, don’t.” Taekwoon was by his side, stopping his hands, holding them gently in his. Confusion overwhelmed him, the last thing he remembered being Wonshik’s headstone. Trying to fight out of Taekwoon’s grasps, he was desperate for answers.

 

“I found you at the cemetery. You... You wouldn’t wake up...” His voice gentle, almost soothing, Hakyeon began to calm ever so slightly. “I brought you to the hospital. Hakyeon... You almost died, you know? They said you... You’d nearly starved to death, you were severely dehydrated...” Watching quietly, Hakyeon saw the tears fill Taekwoon’s eyes, realized the hurt he had allowed himself to cause through his own pain. Sure, he loved Wonshik, and if he had the choice to have him back, he would choose his husband forever, but he had never meant to cause so much grief for the other man who had his heart.

 

“I’m going to get the doctor, okay? Just... Just don’t move.” With a quick kiss on Hakyeon’s cheek, Taekwoon was gone before Hakyeon could make any attempt at a protest. Alone, he felt his own tears begin. Wonshik’s scent was still near and yet he knew, the other man would never be his to embrace ever again. Shifting in the hospital bed, his hand brushed against something soft and slowly he turned to see a familiar treasure by his side. That bear, won on their first date, that earned them their first kiss, that led to the first initial spark to be restored between the two men... It was the cornerstone of their entire relationship and here it sat, a bittersweet reminder of what would never be.

 

“I’m back.” Taekwoon returned to him, holding his hand gently. “The doctor will take the tube from your throat, just hold still.” Closing his eyes, he gripped Taekwoon’s hand tightly as the doctor freed him of the intrusive object. Whimpering from the pain of having it removed, he closed his eyes tighter, feeling a hand gently running through his hair. Finally, the pain subsided and he opened his eyes as the doctor left the room.

 

“You’ve got to stay for a few days so you can get healthy again.” Locking eyes with Hakyeon, Taekwoon still held his hand. “Do you want me to go get you anything?” with a deep breath, voice weak and scratchy, Hakyeon spoke for the first time since waking.

 

“Please, don’t leave me...”