Chapter Nine

Different Worlds

Ara's POV: 

"Lily, can you stop being such a ?" Fabio yanked her arm away from the bag.

Here we go again.

"I only wanted to help and my name is Rose." She said back in a soft voice. Even though she is annoyed, she knows how to keep her cool. After all, her father did sign her up for classes on how to be a feminine lady. 

"Oh really? It will help so much better if your existence is not even here. At all!" He shot back and continued, "Do not tell me what to call you. I don't even care if you are named after a bloody tree." 

My head hurts.

"That is ridiculous. Ara, why is your friend so hostile? Did you say anything bad about me?" Rosalie tried to make it sound like a joke, but I could catch the glare that she is throwing towards me. 

Times like this, I hope I have no friends so I will not deal with such .

"Why do you blame someone else for the mistreatment you get? As much as you self-proclaim as A's number one best friend, that position will never be yours." He snapped. 

I raised one of my eyebrows at Fabio as he looked the other way and pouted. Is he for real? He is being jealous of who shall be my bff? Oh my god. I thought this only happens between girls. I did not think that guys could be that sensitive too. 

"Are you seriously trying to compete with her on that?" I nudged Fabio and asked. 

"Obviously? She thinks that she knows everything about you. What the hell, I am the ONLY one who knows you the most." 

"Is it that time of the month again? Will you like to have some pads while we are on our way?" I retorted, sounding harsher than I wanted.

Well, what can I say? I am having a headache and I do not have the brain capacity left to put up with this.  

  "Ara! You have to make a choice. Me or him." Rose looked at me with pleading eyes.   

"You. Definitely you, Rose. You're my number one best friend." I said without any hesitation. 

That caught Fabio's 100% attention as he snapped his head back and gaped at my response. "What? After everything we have been through? I can't even be compared towards a flower?" 

"Ha, in your face!" Rose cheered as she ran off to get me a drink. 

"Fabio" I started

"What?" He replied, sounding very upset and disappointed with the whole situation still. 

"You'll never be my best friend." 

"I know. You made it damn clear just now." He rolled his eyes.

"You're family, Fabio. My only family." I murmured softly.  

His expression softened at my words and forcefully pulled me into his embrace. He leaned his forehead towards mine as he closed his eyes and breathe in. He did not have to utter any words. One single action alone was enough for me to know what he wanted to say. 

"I'm here, forever and always" I muttered and he nodded his head meekly, hugging me even tighter. 

"Let's go to my place. I will take care of you for these few days." Before I could say anything, he pushed me into his car.

Clearly, there is no room left for discussion. 

The remaining week, I did nothing but rest on the bed like I was some disabled person. Don't get me wrong, I will love to stay in and not go school. However, I do have obligations to attend to. Besides earning cash for my daily needs, the first priority now is to find out the real reason behind those unexplanatory behaviours shown by the royal brat and Fabio. If blonde hair is together with the royal brat, that means Rose is in danger too. For that, I got to ensure she is well protected. 

As long Fabio is the one in charge, all these obligations became nothing but just words. He made sure I was well fed and rest all the time. To be a permanent super glue,  not only did he transfer to my school, he also took the same classes as me. Other than that, he sticks by my side for every single second that I can't even breathe. He even went all the way out by inviting Rose to stay at his mansion too, just so I do not have to experience a bad living condition, or whatever the hell he calls it as. 

All these consecutive actions reminded me of the royal brat, Jervis. Speaking of him, there was a little part of me wondered if he is alright. I cannot believe I am going to say this but I actually do care about him. He is technically my first friend in London. Yes sure, he can be a borderline psychopath and spoiled, but I kind of enjoy his presence by my side. 

"Ain't you too old for school?" Rose inquired. We're currently sitting in a limousine and the bicker between them never vanish. 

"Well, shouldn't you be signing up for a gardening school instead? You know, considering you have great potential in being a decoration at the botanical garden your father built?" 

"Guys, stop -"

"What did I do wrong to receive such treatment from you? You're a friend of Ara and I am just trying to hold a conversation!" Rose bawled, feeling very maligned.

"If you can't take such sarcasm, then don't go around yapping at people." 

"For goodness sake, stop it. You two!" I yelled. 

For the first time in my life, I rather have the royal brat by my side than having to listen to this two argue. 

"Sir and Madams, we have arrived." The driver spoke while Fabio gets off the limousine first and held the door open for us. It's a gentleman act, one that I appreciate. 

"My Sweet Rose!" Blonde hair called out and Rose practically leapt into his embrace. 

Fabio started to puke at the sight. "Which generation do you think you're in??? My sweet rose, really?" 

"I do not see how is that any of your business." Blonde hair rolled his eyes as he Rose's hair gently. 

I take a peek behind blonde hair's back, hoping someone else would appear. 

"Looking for someone?" He smirked, "Jervis is preoccupied at the moment, though he will definitely drop by later." 

"That sound like an absolute good news. No one to irritate me." I retorted, trying to hide my embarrassment. 

Once we settled down in class, Miss Williams assigned Fabio a seat before the class officially begins. Being Fabio, he rejected pretty politely as he semi-threaten the poor lad sitting behind me. 

"Is it that impossible to be a little less dramatic?" 

"What can I do? Drama calls for me, I can't help it." 

"Listen up, class. There have been some amendments towards the arrangement of partners. From now on, this would be the finalised partners you guys get for the remaining of the semester. To avoid confusion, it will also be the partner for your school trips or what not. First up, Samuel and Sheryl, Vanessa and Joseph, Rickie and Mason, ........ Prince Jervis and Rose, Mr Fabio and Brittany, Zachary and Arianna." 

"Williams, I am allergic to fake plastics."  Fabio spat.

"Yes, I cannot partner the future Lu-, I mean Arianna. Jervis will have my life and feed my s to the pigs!" 

"No changes can be made so I suggest you make peace with your partner." She dismissed them off which triggered his shortlived temper. 

Before he could advance towards her, someone barge right in. 

The person has a mid-long hair that reaches right above his collarbone. He wore a tight fit black shirt and skinny jeans that clearly show his toned muscles. The way he carried himself portrayed confidence and authority. 

"Why is there a sudden change of partner arrangement?" He questioned. 

"With all due respect, it was your father, the King, who made the decision," Williams spoke. 

Royal brat's brows twitched as he clenched his fists. I was expecting the spoiled brat to stomp his feet and yell like how he always portrays himself to be. Instead, he kept his cool as he throws a wicked smile to the teacher in charge. 

"Sure. Let's keep it that way." 

"For now." He ended with a menacing glare. 

"Okay. Let's change the seating arrangement before we resume the lesson?" Williams stuttered, sounding more like a question rather than a statement. 

"No. I compromised with the partner . You'll be damn sure that I am not gonna let my seat get taken too." Royal brat slammed the table with so much force that it broke into two. 

The same hot temper that I know so well. I was no longer shocked by the sudden reaction. I did not even flinch when he raised his voice. 

"But the King said -" 

"And I said no." He raised one of his brows, daring Miss Williams to finish the sentence. 

"Okay, Prince Jervis. The seating arrangement may remain first." She gulped as she quickly continued the class to avoid any further tension. 

Royal brat took the seat next to me as he whispered in a playful tone, "Good morning, tigress."

I snorted at his sudden change of mood and played along. "Good morning, royal brat." 

"What do you plan to do after school?" 

"She plans to do me. " Fabio cuts in.

"Why are you even here? You're too old to be in this class." Royal brat demanded.  

"I like to enhance my foundational knowledge. You got a problem with that?" 

"Oh is it? More like you're here to keep an eye on my tigress." He motioned towards me while he spoke. "Besides, you're the Alpha of France. You should be doing something else rather than this." 

"What did you just said?" 

"Nothing! You heard it wrong." Fabio shook his head at royal brat, hoping he will catch the signal. 

"Oh, I mean King of France. His Father passed the throne to him. Haven't you heard?" Royal brat his lips nervously as he tried to cover it up with another lie. 

I wanted to shout in their face that they are lying and I demand an answer. But the calm me decided not to do anything rash. I should not alert them. They are already being very careful around me. 

"Oh, right" I replied as I contemplate what should I do next. 

Classes went by as usual, except the weird behaviours from Jervis and Fabio. Royal brat and his guards became tenser around me. They have gotten less quiet as if they are afraid of saying something wrong in front of me. On the other hand, Fabio skipped the last period of class and stated that he has some "family matters" to deal with. 

"Let's go shopping later!" Rose disrupt my thoughts as she clung to my arms and blabbered on the number of things we should do. 

"Arianna!" Royal brat called out, causing me to stop on my heels.

"What's up?" 

"Uhm...I mean you recovered right...So...I was planning to...ask...if..." He shuffled his feet as he tried to form the right words out.

"Uh huh...?"

"Like...you know...I planned...something today...and I was wondering....if you will... like to come...?" 

"Seriously? What, do you have a sudden diagnose of speaking disability?"  Blonde hair appeared out of nowhere and smacked the back of his head. 

Meanwhile, Royal brat face palmed himself and cursed under his breath. He ruffled his hair continuously with his feet tapping on the ground.  

I would say that is a cute sight to behold. 

"Fine. To celebrate your recovery, I have planned a barbeque party for you. Will you like to come?"  

"That will not be -" 

"Sure, we will be there!" Rose intercept my words and replied. 

"Great. It starts at 7 pm. I will pick you up at 6 pm?" He asked.

"Yes, that will be nice!" Rose replied again.

"Cool, I better get ready now. See you!" 

"Wait, I have not agreed to it!" I yelled but no one answers me. 

"Let's get you a dress!" Rose squealed as she dragged my non-complying soul towards the direction of the mall. 

We went through stores after stores for the right dress. Although Rose's intention was to get one for me, she ended up shopping for herself instead. Not that I mind, I was beyond thankful for the change in attention span. 

"Does this look good on me?" She asked while pursing her lips.

"Rosalie, you look good in anything."

She pouted at my response as she stomped off to the changing room with a bunch of outfits. 

I sat myself down on one of the couch as I know we will stay here for a long time. Feeling bored, I snapped my fingers and called out, "Fabio's minion, you can show yourself now." 

"For a stalker job, you at it," I commented as the lad bowed his head down in shame. I took Fabio's credit card and dismiss him. Though he left reluctantly, it's not like he has any choice either.  

After a good 2 hours, we finally reached the last dress. 

"How about this dress? I love it!" Rose spun around and waited for my answer. I took a good look at it. The dress reached mid-thigh and the top part is covered with real diamonds. Combined with the gold colour, this outfit shouted pure majestic and royalty. 

"Isn't it a little bit too much for a party?" I commented. I mean, it's really beautiful but for a small party, I do feel it's not appropriate. 

"Nope, I think this is just fine." She smiled and I shrugged my shoulders. 

"Okay cool, go change. I will pay." Rose muttered a "thankyou" while she is heading back to the changing room. 

Technically speaking, Fabio's the one paying. 

Once we are good to go, we rushed back home for Rose to prepare herself. I ended up ordering myself Dominos Pizza while Rose got herself a salad. 

"Ara, where is my make up box?" She yelled. 

I gobbled down my Pepperoni pizza as I quickly scuttered off to get her what she needs. 

Panic Rose is a scary Rose. 

On the other hand, I wore a v-neck white shirt and skinny rip jeans. I did not want to stand out, just blend in. Besides, Rose would receive much more attention if I stand beside her with a simple outfit. 

One stone kills two birds. 

As I waited in the lounge, I unconsciously look over the gate, hoping that royal brat might come earlier than anticipated. I do not know what came over me. No matter how much I act like I do not care about him, I realised that I actually do, so much so that I am willing to use myself as a shield to protect him.  I have no idea what this foreign feeling is called. One thing for sure is that I care for him, whether I like it or not. 

The doorbell rang while I quickly stood up and went to the door. Before I could open it, Fabio's Butler, Martin, stopped me. When Fabio comes to London to visit me, he insisted on tagging along. From the way this two interact, I could tell Martin is someone who Fabio trust dearly.  

"Can't make the lad seems like you are waiting for him, isn't it?" He mouthed in silence. 

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. He can whisper in my ears, isn't that much simpler? 

Martin held the door gracefully while Jervis came into sight. 

"Evening, tigress." He winked. 

I returned with a tight smile. 

"Looking great" He nodded in acknowledgement while I cowered back to Martin's side. I was obviously self-conscious with myself. I mean, I'm not trying to impress him but I do not want him to feel that I look bad too. 

Does that even make sense? 

Besides, Jervis is merely being polite by saying I look great. I'm wearing a basic shirt and coloured jeans for christ sake! How good can I actually look? 

Feeling even more insecure, I wanted to retreat but Martin pushed me forward and I ended up landing into royal brat's embrace. 

"Woah, there-there. I gotcha." He held my waist as I stood still. 

With no words left to utter, I rushed into the van. Royal brat attempted to initiate a conversation while I kept quiet and contemplate the reasons for my unusual behaviour. 

As Rose came on board, she squealed at the top of her lungs, "Why the hell are you in such horrendous outfit?" 

"Why not? It's comfortable." 

"I thought we agreed on that dress which I picked for you? Gosh, can we please make a trip back to Fabio's place? She needs to change." 

I looked down and bite my lips in frustration. Was it that terrible? 

"Shut up, Lily. Arianna can wear a garbage bag and still look way better than you." Royal brat narrowed his eyes at Rose. 

"I was just trying to look out for her." 

"Yeah? No one asked, nosy brat" 

Deciding to not argue further, Rose scooted to the corner seat and crossed her arms, clearly indicated that she is unhappy. 

"Uhm... I could change later if you like?" I offered. Rose threw a grateful smile towards me but shook her head and ended the discussion. 

Throughout the remaining ride, it was dead silence. As I was thinking of ways to cheer Rose up, I took a side glance towards royal brat. He seemed like he wants to say something but hesitated. A frowned formed on his face while he fought an internal battle with himself, probably thinking if he should speak.

My lips twitched up at this sight of him as he looked awfully adorable. 

The moment we reached the place, I was in awe. It was not a house or mansion, more like a castle. Everything here screams wealth, superiority and magnificent. 

When I walk in deeper, a bunch of helpers lined themselves up and bowed towards us, or rather me. They only dared to look up after Jervis cleared his throat. I was shocked by the physical appearance of each individual as they look completely flawless. Whereas, I look like a potato. I can't even fade into the surroundings as they kept staring at me. I was even more self-conscious that I increased my speed just so I could end the walk earlier. 

Once I reached the lobby, I stride towards the food section to calm myself down. When I went to grab a bunch of food to fill my tummy, some unknown strangers stare at me again. I wanted to throw them the middle finger but such behaviour would only irk them more. It would aggravate attention and I didn't want that. At all.

Ignoring their stares, I continued to select the type of grill food I wish to consume. There are so many options that I could feel myself salivating at the thought of tasting the juicy meat. After stuffing myself with quality food, I proceed on to my journey of finding Rose.

 The main objective for me to be here in this party was to keep an eye on her. Zachary might be nice towards her, but we will never know his ulterior motive. Nobody in the right frame of mind would treat exchange students, basically nerds, that well without purpose.

I don't care who the hell he is, but if he ever hurt Rose in any way, I swear to God that I will end his life. Not that I haven't end someone life before, it would be a walk in the park. 

"Arianna, right? I heard a lot about you." A voice remarked. 

I spun around and saw a lean figure standing right behind me. Feeling wary, I kept my answer to a minimum. 

"Well, I don't"

He chuckled lightly to himself "Always so defensive"

"What do you want, Mr I don't give a ?" I glared. 

"Awww, you're so cute when you're mad." He moved his hands up near my face while I raised my eyebrows. 

"Continue that and you will lose a hand" I threatened which cause the latter to scoff in disbelief. 

"It takes a lot to break my hand, but it's nice to see someone try" He smirked. 

"Well, it does not take much to rile me up but it's all good since you dont even need to try"

I shifted my body towards another direction, all ready to leave. However, he blocked my way and wiggle his oh-so-ugly eyebrows at me. 

"Do you even know the state that you're in right now? Are you even prepared for the upcoming events that will impact you in ways you'll never imagine?" He questioned. 

"What do you even mean by that?" 

"Oh, the genius did not figure it out? Damn, let me give you a hint: Besides being the Royals, what is their real identity?" 

I frowned at the question he thrown towards me. I mean, I do have a theory that they might not be humans. But what else can they be beside not being humans? 

Vampires? 

Witches?

Hybrids?

Werewolves?

I started to link the keywords and experiences I have encountered together. This got me to question if they are even real.

Do they really exist?

I mean, they are all fairytales used to pacify children. This is the era of technology, no one will still believe such thing, right?

But the symptoms and powers they possess are real too. It can't be something fake either.

If this is true, all the actions and behaviour make so much more sense.

The strong attachment, the possessiveness and the temperamental attitude.

If royal brat and Fabio are really werewolves, does that make Zachary one too?

My eyes widened in realisation. 

Ohmygod.

Rosalie.

"And that's my cue to leave" His eyes changed into a bronze gold which proved my point. 

All I need now is concrete evidence and getting Rose, preferably far away from Zachary. 

****