Chapter Seven

Different Worlds

Ara's POV

I sipped on my cappuccino as I strolled along the mart to get my groceries. As I was shoving a box of cereal into my trolley, I can't help but begin to ponder about that dude.

Girlfriend? What the hell is he thinking?

This felt like a cliché romance novel: new girl comes into town, boy meet girl and demand her to be his fake girlfriend. They fall in love, make babies and live happily ever after.

Ha.

This will not happen to me. Not ever.

I was supposed to feel flattered and butterflies in my stomach. But no, I felt nothing but a pool of fire piling at the bile of my throat. Unlike the novel, this is reality. The real world. He pulled that stunt just so he could embarrass me. I mean, he, the "most popular" dude in the school wants to date me? That would be the most hilarious news in the universe. Once the news gets leaked out, I would become the number one target, be it the girls, the gays or bi-ual. Anyone who feels a slight attraction towards him would question my existence and worthiness.

I bet he see that coming which is exactly why he decided to do it. I bruised his ego and he wanted revenge.

He wished to see me suffer.

My train of thoughts was disrupted by a passer-by who knocked her shoulders right pass mine.

"Excuse me, yellow Chinese. Do us a favour and get your big out of the lane so we can bypass it!" She threw me a glare as she inspected her rather expensive looking handbag.

"Oh my god! You dirtied my limited-edition handbag. Do you even know how much does it cost? It's from Gucci and there is only five of them in the world! I demand compensation now."

For real? Of all days, the woman chose to piss me off now? Besides, the handbag is perfectly fine? She's just trying to make things difficult for me. Ugh.

I threw a glare at her as she raised an eyebrow at me, waiting for my heartfelt apology. Instead of getting myself out of the way, I took a few steps forward, opened the coffee cap and poured the entire liquid onto her Gucci. The latter gasp in surprise and shouted at the top of her lungs, "What do you think you are doing?"

"Well," I signalled to the stained bag and said, "You should thank me instead since I offered a customisation service to your Gucci, something that not everyone has either." To make things worse, I flipped her trolley cart over and emptied her groceries.

"Now, this, is the definition of things getting in the way." She gaped at me in silence while I continued, "A piece of advice: Treat foreigners with equal respect. After all, we are humans too. The difference is just the label of nationality which is not a ing big deal."

With that, I stormed my way to the counter, not even bothering to wait for her reply.

"$52.65" The worker at the cashier scanned my items and said. I gave him the exact change while he passed me a receipt plus a lucky draw registration.

"Your purchase was above $50. Sign up for the lucky draw to win a chance at staying in a mansion, castle or even an adventurous trip to Paris." He explained in a monotone as he passed me a pen. The word Paris caught my attention as I would like to visit Fabio someday, without any fees charged of course.

I filled up the necessary details and stormed my way out of Walmart.

To my displease, I was stopped by an unexpected man.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded.

"Grocery shopping. Just like you. I was having a normal day, selecting all the items Jervis requested until I see the act you put on a while ago" He replied.

"Ok bye."

"Wait! I just ... wanted to tell you that you did great at standing up for yourself. I thought I had to offer my assistance but you nailed it man." White hair awkwardly punched my shoulder with his fist.

Be nice, Ara.

The lad is trying to make peace with you.

"Mhmm" I responded

"So we cool? Friends?" he put his arm out while I nodded.

"Acquaintance" I corrected.

"Geez, I don't see the difference but alright. Come, let me help you with the bags." He grabbed my grocery and I denied the offer by snatching it off his hands.

"Alright Alright," He put his hands up in surrender, "At least let me send you home."

"No thanks. I will walk." I tried to sound as polite as possible.

"Alright then, I shall walk with you."

"It's okay."

"No, I insist."

"Can you stop being so persistent? We're cool. You can tell Rose about it alright. We are friends and I am okay with it. You can drop that act now" I snapped.

"Hey. I am just trying to help okay? I am NOT doing this for Rosalie. You seemed like a girl that I want to be friends with and I did exactly just that. As simple as that. Why are you always so guarded and wary? For the record, I did nothing to you!" He snapped back.

Realising I might have come out the wrong way, I toned down my voice and said, "Okay then. Let's walk home together, friend."

"What?"

"You wanted to walk me home. So let's do that and get it over with."

"Oh my god. I said a ton of s and that's the only thing you gonna reply?"

"Yeah?"

"Yeah? Yeah." White hair mimicked the male lead's voice in "the fault in the stars" while I laughed at his attempt.

"Wow, you can smile. I am surprised." He said with sarcasm.

"Nah, you're seeing things."

"Whateverz" He rolled his eyes and we continued to walk our way back to the apartment.

 

That afternoon, I make a new friend.

 

During the evening, I went to work at the pub and my manager greeted me with a beam. I returned with a polite smile as I went to the staff room to retrieve my black uniform.

"Arianna? You have a special guest looking for you." One of the waitresses approached me, panting real hard while I walked over to the bar without hesitation.

"What will you like to have?" I asked without taking another look.

"What are the choices available?" The guest asked.

I grimaced at the voice. This baritone voice.... It's so familiar. I took a quick glimpse and immediately regret my decision for it.

"How?" I glared. He does not own this pub nor do he patronise here before. I checked and made sure of it.

"Well, my family decided to, you know, expand our line of business into night clubs. So yeah, technically, I am one of the major shareholders here." Jervis explained.

I gritted my teeth in displease. "Fine. What the hell do you want to drink then?"

"Is that how you are supposed to talk to your VIP? Do you need a special training from the management in customer service?"

"Sir, what will you like to have?" I cleared my throat and rephrased my words.

"You." He replied with so much affection that I actually cringed.

"Seriously, what are you doing here?" I demanded, losing my already short-lived patience towards him.

"I came here to finish my homework and study for the mathematics test tomorrow." He pointed at the pile of worksheets and I scoffed at his statement. Since when did the crown prince ever submit his work on time. Even if he writes his name only and submit a blank canvas, those teachers would still give him an A.

"Come, girlfriend. Sit next to me." He patted to the empty seat next to him. "The mathematics teacher set the paper with extreme difficulty. You should start revising now. I would notify the manager and you can study together with me."

"It's cool. I don't do the study thing. I will have a recap later."

"What? You're a homo sapien, you can't just score full marks without revising. Sit down and study." He barked.

"I need to get back to work." I went to attend to the customer beside him but he threw a death glare at the person which caused him to run away.

"If you do not want to study, fine. Let's talk about me exposing you as my girlfriend tomorrow then. Now, come and sit by my side, please." Jervis repeated with a strained voice.

I slowly walked my way towards him and sat down. As he seems satisfied with me, he goes on blabbering with whatever is on his mind.

"Basically, my plan is simple. From tomorrow onwards, we would arrive in school together. I would drop by, fetch you and even open the door for you since its seems like some fancy gesture you humans like it so much. I mean girls love the gentleman act, no? Afterwards, we would walk side by side like catwalk show at the entrance of the school and announce our arrival plus status. Then, I would act like your legit boyfriend to you know, make everything look real."

"What exactly do you mean by a legit boyfriend?" I managed to catch the keyword and questioned him.

"Oh you know, send you to class and work, take care of your well-being, making sure no guys hit on you and all" I frowned at his response, the way he said make it sound like it is going to be permanent. Dismissing the thought away, I listened to his mini-debrief session and sip on one of the drinks available.

"Arianna Neo! I hired you to work for me, not talk to the crown prince!" A voice hollered which caused Jervis attention to shift towards the old man.

"Come over here now." He demanded and I can see Jervis' eyes turned into a golden blaze.

"Do not ever command her like that." He growled so loud that I jumped in my seat.

"With all due respect, crown prince. We made a pact and alliance with the King. You have to honour it by not putting your nose into my business. You're only here as a VIP guest and nothing more. Maybe part of the shareholder, yes, but the final power and control is still me." The old man, I assumed is my boss, crossed his arms and retorted.

Man, I do applaud him for standing up to the arrogant dude since everyone in school either fear him or avoid him like a plague.

"You're really testing me." He held onto the table tightly with his fist clenched and eyes shutting tightly.

"Arianna, get over here. Faster!" My boss looked worried as he waved me over to his side.

Without thinking any further, I obliged and strolled towards his side. Before I could make a step forward, Jervis grabbed hold of my arm.

"She is mine and mine only." He let out an animalistic sound and my entire body went rigid.

I might be fearless but I am not stupid.

This is not the time to trigger him.

"Arianna. Get here now before he hurts you." My boss repeated again.

"Eh... its cool. I will stay here for now." I raised my hands up in surrender, trying my best to pacify Jervis. Taking a look at me, his eyes softened and turned into the normal colour that I grow accustomed to.

After taking several deep breaths, he lets go of my arms and marched off to god knows where.

My eyes blinked several times as I tried to contemplate what just happened.

"Beware of him. He can be temperamental at times." The boss said with so much venom in his voice that I feel he has some personal agenda against him.

"Why did he get so worked up?" I questioned out of curiosity.

"Today is the full moon."

"I'm sorry, a what?" I asked again.

The boss smirked a little and replied, "You're a smart girl. You will figure it out in no time."

Why is everyone asking me to figure it out when they can just tell me straight? Gosh.

"Whatever. I will get back to work." I said and he nodded in acknowledgement.

Once work has ended, I went back to the apartment to shower and checked my phone to see that I have several messages.

From: Unknown

I'm sorry for today. Forgive me. I would come and pick you up at 7AM tomorrow.

 

-Jervis

 

The next day, I woke up at the usual timing and take a look at Rose's mathematics notes. After a good 15 minutes, my phone rang as Jervis notified me that he is reaching soon. I sent him a quick text to ask him to wait for me at one of the alleys, few streets down the apartment.

"Good morning, Ara!" Rose emerged out of the toilet and hugged me. I greeted her back half-heartedly as I was feeling rather distracted. How am I supposed to tell her that the most popular dude in the school is going to send me to school, let alone breaking the news of me being his girlfriend?

Relax, Ara. Be calm. Think of an excuse. Find a reason.

"Anyways, Zachary is picking me up now. I will see you later in school." She gave me a peck on the cheek while I sighed in relief.

For once, I am happy with white hair's existence in Rose life. After making sure the coast is clear, I sent another message to Jervis, informing him to drive over now.

Yes, my lazy refused to walk over. I mean, it's quite a long distance for me. I would rather wait. Besides, he is the one who get me into this mess.

Less than few minutes, his car appeared at the road. I used my right hand to open the car door to sit at the back seat while my another hand was holding onto my muffin.

Jervis pull down his sunglasses and pointed to the front seat with his sharp chin. I moved forward as it's early in the morning, I did not want to argue or pick a fight.

"What is that?" He eyed at the thing I am holding.

"Muffin?" I continued to munch on it, ignoring the crust dropping onto his car seat.

"No food in my car!" He yelled and I shrugged my shoulders. No big deal, its just some crust, I can clean it up later. Before I could voice out my thoughts, he unbuckled his seat belt and snatch the muffin from me. Of course, I did not let him and we started the infamous tug of war. In the end, none of us wins as the food fell off to his car deck.

Jervis' eyes widened in sockets and I raised my eyebrow," In my defence, it is not my fault."

He groaned in frustration and sat back onto his seat without uttering anything. With that, the whole trip to the school was nothing but silence.

I bite my lips in guilt. I was never one who would apologise, even if I am in the wrong. My pride always gets in the way. But this time, I do not know what occurred me. The fact that I actually did not want to upset him. After all, I am the one who brought the god damn muffin.

When he parked the car at one of the spots and prepared to turn off the ignition, I muttered softly, "I'm sorry."

That caused him to perk his ears up as he turned his head towards my direction.

"What? I cannot hear you."

"Don't push it." I rolled my eyes.

"It's okay, girlfriend. Not much of a big deal." He grinned at me and I offered back with a small smile.

"Are you ready for the 'performance'?" Jervis smirked while I looked away.

No. I am obviously not prepared for the consequences that would come right after it.

He got out of the car first as he went around it and opened the door for me. I tried to step out as elegantly as possible while his arm s around my waist and my first instinct was to get away from the unfamiliar touch.

"Don't. We're couple, remember?" Jervis pulled me in closer. I tried my best to not move an inch as he continued to instruct me on what to do.

"Great. Now, I am gonna lean towards you. Pretend that I am saying something funny, hit my shoulder and giggle like a girl." He said and I let out a forced laughter.

If anyone did not know better, they would think I am suffering from some misery which indeed I am.

"You're doing good." He encouraged and I can't help but rolled my eyes.

"Now, put your hands around me and remember to smile."

With our arms around each other, many murmurs and judgement could be heard. I filter those remarks out and hid my face behind his chest. Jervis looked pleased while I felt discomfort throughout the entire thing.

Suddenly, a strong muscular arm grabbed Jervis by the collar and send him flying off to the lamp pole. I was too stunned to react.

"Who the are you?" A voice that I know too well to not miss it. Standing right in front of me, he kept a protective arm and shield me away from what he deemed as danger.

The same back-comb blonde hair, RayBan sunglasses and beard face.

Fabio Grangeon.

"Who the are you?" Jervis spat back and advanced towards Fabio.

"Back off." Fabio shoved him back roughly while Jervis growled even louder.

Both toss their sunglasses aside and went on with their glaring competition.

Realising how the situation has turned into the worse scenario, I slide myself into the middle. I couldn't stand aside and let this two childish brainless s to do whatever they want.

"Hey. Hey. It's alright. Chill. Both of you." I tried to ease the situation but to my dismay, Fabio pushed me back to my original spot and threw the first punch at Jervis.

That's when all hell breaks loose.

Jervis did not back down as he lunged himself at him and threw few more punches, aiming directly at Fabio's face.

"Stop this ! Hey. It's okay. Stop it. Fabio! Jervis!" I shouted but none of them listens to me. I don't think they can either, judging by how pissed off their face looked.

Not soon after, a crowd was formed into a circle and surround us. All of them were chanting for Jervis.

In a flash, I saw Fabio and Jervis barring their teeth out at each other. Wait, I think I saw fangs instead. Both of their eyes changed colour as if there is something wanting to take control. Their facial hair was also getting furrier and I swear I could see their ears are pointed.

My eyebrows knotted together at the scene.

The territorial act.

The loss of control.

The sudden change of eye colours and unspeakable strength.

Let's not even get started on the fangs and furry hair.

There were also words such as Luna, full moon and mates being used.

I tried to piece all the information I have gathered together in my brain.

They can't be what I think they are, right?

Is that even possible?

Before I can rationalise and sort everything out, I heard someone shouted, "Someone gets that brat off Jervis. Arianna? Do something, Arianna Neo!"

My attention was drifted back to the fight as I saw Fabio launching continuous punches at Jervis and his eyes have turned into solid black.

"Fabio! No!" Sensing he has no intention of stopping, I throw myself over and blocked Jervis face without any hesitation.

And that's probably the worse decision of my life.

Because I fainted right there and then.