Chapter one

Different Worlds

Taking a deep breath, I slipped my foot out of the cab. Large grass fields encircled me which were planted with trees that stood tall and confident. Pale yellow leafs scattered around the floor thanks to the strong wind gushing past me. Young children giggled while chasing one another and adults were murmuring gossips with their companion. My lips quirked up at sight in front of me and I closed my eyelids to embrace the moment.

Everything around me looked so peaceful.

As compared to life in my native country, it was so different.

People who lived on the island was always rushing for time. There would be scowls and frowns on their faces when taking public transport. Most of the times, citizens squeezed their way through without even uttering a single excuse me. Due to the small and tiny land, the island is filled with many tall skyscrapers, narrowed streets and polluted oxygen. On top of it, intelligence is what we valued the most as it is the only resources we had.

Without it, we were nothing.

Because of this, we are in constant competition with one another to ensure we stay at the top by always chasing the impossibles. There were times I felt that we were trained to operate like a robot rather than living life. However, to ensure we have a luxury life and able to support our parents in the future, such measures are a necessity.

In a way, life in Singapore shaped me into who I am now. Someone who would work hard to achieve something I wanted and someone who only believe in meritocracy.

Therefore, it is the main reason why I am here in United Kingdom, London.

I came here for a six-months exchange programme assigned by my school which is a compulsory module to complete before I can proceed to next semester.

As I was enjoying the new environment, my face collided with a solid hard chest that caused me to wince in pain. Before I could mumble the word 'sorry', the man spat, " off, you walking yellow porker!"

"Excuse me?" I replied, pretending to be as polite as possible.

"What did you said?" He cupped his hands to the back of his ears and continued, "Sorry, I can't hear you since I do not speak pig language."

I scoffed at his response.

Rude much?

"It's funny how I can understand you clearly" I smiled sarcastically.

"Are you calling me a pig?" He roared. 

"Well, you are behaving like one. You know, snorting and all."

Almost immediately, the stranger's hands balled into fists and veins were popping out of his forehead. As he raised his right arm up and aimed at me, I grabbed it in time and twisted it like a knot. The latter yelp in pain while I forced his limb to his lower back, causing him shout even louder.

"How is this possible! How can you be so quick and healthy? Let me go you, fatso!" He commanded.

"I might look chubby and all, but that does not mean I will let you step all over me. And for the record, I am the one who is on the upper hand right now. It should be me who is demanding for something." I applied more pressure and ensured that I heard the bones cracked before I let him go.

I guessed this was one of the perks for enrolling in a particular elite school back in Singapore.

They taught us how to fight.

Although injuring someone else was not something I did on a daily self-defence lesson, but I learnt enough to caused damage. After all, I do not like the feeling of being weak. Ever again.

"The next time you feel that people like me are an easy prey, think again."

Not bothering to look back, I strode away to the apartment that would be my home for the next six months. Once the elevator's door was open, a tall and lean figure ambushed me into a hug.

"Ara! You're finally here! Gosh, I thought something happened to you. I am so so so sorry for letting you take the plane alone..." A high pitched voice shouted. "I need to get here first to settle some issues. By the way, how's the flight? Did you miss me? Did you meet any handsome dude? Are you hungry?"

"Rose, can you plea-"

"Oh wait! Before answering all my questions, let's snap a photo. I bought a camera yesterday, and the special effects are marvellous. I swear it would be Instagram worthy! Afterwards, I need to take dozens of ootd at this decorative wall downstairs! You should take a look at the graffiti. It looked so real. Oh and and and - we need to make a video later. I am going to start vlogging!!!" She cut me off.

"Are you finished?" I inquired, and she nods her head innocently.

Meet Rosalie Pierce, the only female close friend I have. She is an exact opposite of me. Gentle, bubbly and innocent.

We have many differences. One great distinction is the fact that she is an American while I am a Chinese-Asian. Although our cultures are very different, we still managed to bypass all the problems and be by each other's side no matter what. Another major contrast is the fact that she has the looks and body of a Greek god. She seemed like the type of person who just walked out of the Vogue magazine.

And me? I am fat and ugly.

A Plain Jane.  

"Will you please get yourself off me?" I sighed and gestured towards the position we are in. I was beneath her as she sprawled across my stomach. It is something normal for us as this is her way of showing her affections. However, what isn't normal is the fact that we are now in the corridor, creating a nuisance.

No, I do not wish to leave a wrong impression for our new neighbours.

All of a sudden, a loud rumble protested in her stomach, and she smiled a little, feeling embarrassed, "I'm hungry?"

"Let's go eat first" I patted the dust off my shorts and entered the apartment.

******************************************

The door bell rang. Rose charged towards the door and squealed in delight, "CHINESE FOOD!!!!!"

I was right behind her as she took her purse out and asked the delivery guy with a polite smile, "How much is it?"

"uhm...o-n...the...house" The delivery man stuttered.

"It's alright! I can pay for myself. Besides that, won't you get scolded by your boss for this?" Rose questioned.

"YouseemednewhereTakeitasatreatfromme" He vomited out the words in a split second.

"OH!!! Thank you then!" She beamed and took the food from the delivery guy. I scowled at the dude for having the balls to hit on her. The way his eyes roamed over her body served as a sign that he awe by her physical beauty, not her personality. I swear for a moment, I can feel his saliva threatening to drool out. 

"No problem! Can I ask for your num-"

"$45.65. Here is a $50 note. Keep the change" I threw the money forward and slammed the door right in his face.

Shrugging her shoulders, Rose hummed a song happily and hopped towards the table top. I shook my head in disbelief.

Always that naive and pure.  

After satisfying her stomach, she let out a loud burp.

"So....." Rose began and scooted closer towards me.

"Mhmm?" I replied while munching on my drum let.

"We managed to get this opportunity because of our abilities, not my father's connection."

"Uh huh?"

"I kind of like it that I am just another ordinary teenager who is prepared to get wild and live a normal life."

"Okay?" I raised my eyebrows, not liking where this is going.

"We are going to disguise ourselves and be the nerdiest queens in the school!" She announced while I spat out my food.

"What????"

"Yes. We will live a double life. Just you and me together for this six months. I had enough of the special princess treatment everyone gave me back in Singapore!" She whined. "This time, I will do it my way, and both of us are in this together."

"But... you're the daughter of the Pierce family! The dangerous and powerful man who has connections everywhere. How do you exactly think that you can pull off this?"

"I made fake identities for us, got us new backgrounds and also new physical appearance! Like coloured contact lenses, spectacles, etc! We would dye our hair later to pure black! Apart from that, I also lied to my parents that I would be attending the exchange programme in France instead. So you see, it's not a problem at all!" She responded with optimism. 

My nose grimaced at this new found information. Before I could retaliate, she continued, "Come on, I got it all covered. We even have different social media accounts, phone numbers and so forth." 

"Ara...." She flashed me her puppy eyes while I sighed in complete exasperation. 

It took me more than a moment to finally agree whatever she is planning. Even though it is a bad idea but this is what friends are for, right?

Rose explained everything in detail to me; how we should behave and respond whenever someone asked about us. Like promised, she passed me the fake identity and helped me dye my hair.

As I was washing my hair, I called out "Rose, please pack our bags!"

"Psst. It is not like you need the books since everything is already in your head!"

"Just do it!"

"Fine, grumpy pants!"

I padded my foot out of the bathroom to find Rose, and she gave me a final debrief speech about tomorrow. In the midst of it, I unconsciously fell asleep and went into my dreamland.

The next morning, as always, I woke up at 5:30 AM. No, I did not want to doll myself up so that I can capture the  boys' attention. Nor did I want to impress the teachers by reaching school early. I simply had trouble sleeping at ease. I always had nightmares which would come haunting me every single night. The same cycle of dream would repeat itself every single time. Nothing or no one could help me.

Not even the sleeping pills. Not even the therapist. Not even myself.

I wiped the sweats formed on my forehead before washing myself up and pull out the attire for today. I picked a plain white cotton shirt with ripped black jeans and black combat boots. With that, I began my morning routine: breakfast, reply Fab's message, watch Netflix and wait for Rose to wake up.

"Good morning, Ara! Remember the things we discussed alright? The school we are going is a place for all the royals and elites. We went in by merit, so we are categorised under the lower class. Remember the mantra: we need to keep a low profile. Do not, I repeat, do not expose our identities under any circumstances. That includes you, not creating any unwanted troubles. Is that clear?" She explained again while I sighed in annoyance.

"Yes, we put on our fake contact lens, thick black spectacles and wrap ourselves up like a mami. I'm sure nobody would recognise us." I assured her and motioned towards our fake identities" Look, we even have new names!"

"I am Miss Neo today. Who knows what surname I will live by tomorrow? I'm loving it" I responded with a sweet smile. The one that you give when you are trying to be super sarcastic. 

"Yes. That's the spirit, my love." She waved me off and indulged herself in this new beginning that she so awfully hopes for.  

Is she for real? So what she lied to her parents? Does she honestly think her parents would not realise it? Both her parents are so formidable that as long we are related to them, people would bow down to us. The undercover would definitely blow soon; it is just the matter of time.

"Alright. Off we go to Eastwood High School!" She shrilled, and I covered my ears to block out her loud voice. The journey to school is approximately 15 minutes. During the entire car trip, Rose whined about how she was afraid that she would get recognise at the first day of school.

"By any chance, can we skip school for today? We shall go for sight seeing instead!" She asked nervously.

"What if they recognise us? Oh my god, why did I even initiated on doing this again? Can we opt out now? Is it too late?

"How? How? How?"

"Rose, you're my best friend, and I do adore you for that. But right now, can you please shut your mouth? You're the one who is all excited about this 'double life' experience alright? Stop panicking and get your nerves in check. We got a school to deal with." I snapped, and she shrunk back into her seat in silence.

The moment we reached the school gate, Rose hyperventilate. Her anxiety attack and paranoia decided to relapse at this timing. Without risking the possibility of witnessing Rose get hospitalised, I am this close to slamming her head into one of the walls. If that gets her to shut , by all means, I am more than happy to let her experience a concussion. As she took in deep breaths to calm herself down, I waste no effort to drag her to our new class.

To my surprise, our pathway to hell was blocked by a limousine with a bunch of crazy girls shouting and screaming at the top of their lungs. A greyish white hair male with black circular shades stood out of the car.

What the hell, coming to school with sunglasses? For real?

"Oh my god! He is so hot! Look at that y !" Rose fanned herself and spoke in a British accent.

"I thought you were complaining about school a while ago?"

"He, darling, is a whole new reason for me to attend school" She sighed dreamily. I shake my head and smile in amusement before dragging her to class. Meanwhile, I vividly heard a faint growl sounded like 'mine'.

When we land our arse on the last row corner seat, we heard the sound of the high heels hitting the floor. As if on cue, a female teacher with knee length tight dress entered the class. "Welcome back to school. I am your form teacher for the rest of the year. Please call me Miss Williams. So, we have two new students who will be joining us for one semester. Now, new students, stand up and introduce yourselves."

"Yes, mam" Rose stood up, adjusted her thick nerdy glasses, bowed 90 degrees and used her pleasant/gentle voice. "I am Roslyn Smith. Nice to meet all of you and please take good care of me!"

I scoffed under my breath. 

"Oh sweet pie, I would take good care of you, especially in bed!" Someone whistled, and Rose blushed in response.

I opened my mouth, wanted to throw a comeback, but an animalistic growl resonated the class.

"Say that again, and I will cut off your tongue." He stormed his way to the guy who teased Rose and snarled right next to his ears "Literally."

It was the white hair guy which we encountered just now.

He shifted his gaze towards Rose and moved closer to her. Almost immediately, I put on my alert stance in front of her and pushed her backwards.

"Leave her alone" I glared at him.

He pulled down his shades and narrowed his eyes, "Move."

"No," I responded with equal hostility.

"I mean no harm." He replied with a poker face that looked like a .

"Oh really? You looked at her as if she is your dessert."

"I said, MOVE!" He slammed his fist on the table and snarled in an authoritative voice. For a split second, I swear I could see a shimmer of yellow sparks glowing at the corner of his eyes. Some of our new classmates bowed their head down and whimpered while some held their breath. Even Miss Williams was taken aback as she scooted to the corner of the class. Rose paled while I stood up defiantly.

I would not give in. Nothing will faze me. Not anymore.

"And I said no," I stated in a cold tone that was enough to tell him that this is the end of the conversation.

Mr white hair looked like he is about to explode but unexpectedly, his voice change to a much gentler tone and mentioned, "I only wanted to introduce myself."

There was something different about his voice. It sounded like he was asking for permission and showing me respect.

In turn, I frowned.

Why the sudden change of attitude?

"Hi beautiful, my name is Zachary." He reached out for Rose's arms, and she raised her right hand up instinctively. Then, he leaned his head forward with a small peck on her back palm. Shades of pink tinted around Rose's cheeks as she avoided eye contact.

"Mary, you may carry on with the class." Mr white hair instructed.

Miss Williams cleared and continued awkwardly, "The girl next to Roslyn, introduce yourself."

"Ara" I replied curtly which earned an infamous stern look from Rose.

"Arianna. Arianna Neo." I let out a small hiss and spoke.

Right. I am Miss Neo today. 

With that, I sat back down, and Williams started her lesson without any hesitation.

"You are supposed to bow and repeat what I said, except for the name part. I thought we rehearsed that already?" Rose whispered harshly.

"We do not even need to stand up and introduce ourselves back in Singapore. I stood up, isn't that more than enough?" I shrugged.

"New flash, Ara. We are in London, not Singapore!" She hissed.

"What was done has been done. Let's listen to class, okay?" I sighed.

"Ha, please. In case you pretend to forget, you have a photographic memory! I am positive you know everything they taught in school. You were even recommended to participate the senior class. You and I both why you opted for the junior class!"

I cursed inwardly.

When Rose started to reprimand me again, I slumped myself down on the table and took a little nap.

"Arianna" Someone called, but I ignored the person. That was not even my real name. I concluded that whoever called me Arianna was not even someone I am close with, so why bother?

"Ara, wake up" Rose nudged me violently, and I groaned in frustration.

"What?" I looked and saw Miss Williams arching an eyebrow at me.

Jeesh, I hate this woman already.

"It's only the first period, and you decided to make yourself feel at home?" She glowered "Care to share what I taught just now?"

Yes, the first day of school and your form teacher decided to pick on you. What a marvelous way to start the semester right.

Rose coughed abruptly which caused Mr white hair to spun his head around immediately. I knew her cough was fake. In Rose language, it was her way to distract the class so that I could sneak a peek at her notebook.

"English Literature regarding Romeo and Juliet." I replied lamely.

"What about it?" Miss William challenged.

How the heck do I know? Most probably it is a lesson in English that talks about how the grey sky symbolised sorrows and misery. To me, the sky turned grey so it can ing rain later. It is that simple!

I can never understand why literature teachers like to misinterpret and convert every into something meaningful.

"The balcony scene?" I made a random guess.

"She did not teach that part!"

"Oh, Fat Amy is not listening in class!"

"Can you recite to us the balcony scene then? In British English and two other languages except for Chinese" She threw me a devilish smirk.

"But she is an Asian! What language can they possibly learn besides Chinese."

"Yea, her skin is yellow. Typically, they speak broken English."

"Oh god, we need to listen to her insulting my favourite author? My poor ears!"

"Behold! The ugly duckling is going to embarrass herself!"

"Okay?" I shrugged. It's pretty easy to me as I was taught to speak many different languages since young. Right now, half of the class took out their phones and started to snap photos or record it as a video. Miss William stood aside and smirked, completely neglected the remarks thrown at me or even their attempts on shaming me.

"But soft, what light through yonder window breaks? It is the east, and Juliet is the sun......" I started with a fake but realistic British accent, carried on with France and ended in Spanish. Time to time, I even added a little feeling to make it more emotional.

In turn, Miss Williams kept shut while everyone in the class gasped in disbelief.

Take that, es. No big deal, I can speak 15 different languages fluently. I almost wanted to say that right in their face, but I bite my tongue back, refraining myself from creating 'unwanted troubles'. After finishing my little performance, I sat back down and contemplated what types of part time job should I search for later.

"I don't know what is your definition of low profile but this?" She motioned towards the air "It is shouting for attention!"

"It is not my fault? She triggered me! She thinks she is so high up there and they were all mocking me!" Rose tried to stay serious by giving me a blank look but she failed miserably as she giggled in response.

"That was so hot. If I am a guy, I would totally fall for you" Rose smirked.

I smirked back and vividly; I could hear another low growl. One again, it whispered 'mine'.

Am I having some hearing problems? Why do I keep hearing these growls?

I disregarded the growling issue and rested my head on my arms.

Finally, I managed to get some sleep.