The Pretense

Emergency Room

Kim Jong Kook looked at her without saying anything. "Hey, am I that beautiful?" she asked the said man. Jong Kook smiled at her and asked, "Are you that kind of woman?" She seemed to be interested in the man, and so she asked, "What kind of woman?" Jong Kook looked at her from head to toe, and when she realized what the man has done, she returned the question, "Then are you that kind of man?" Jong Kook looked at her, and she looked at him, too. "You know what, I think you are interesting." commented Jong Kook.

“I think you are interesting, too.” she replied. The man in front of her was about to ask another question, but her phone suddenly started to ring. "Excuse me." she told the man. Jong Kook nodded at her, so she answered the call right away. When she heard the person on the other line, she didn't know how to react. In fact, she didn't realize that she has started walking away from the man whose name is Kim Jong Kook. She was still holding the phone, and she doesn't know that Jong Kook is now looking at her.

Once she's inside her room, she started thinking of what she has heard over the phone. "Lee Dong Wook is in the hospital right now. He attempted suicide because you left him in despair. Aren't you even sorry for him? What kind of person are you?" said the person on the other line. When she was about to answer the questions, the person who she was speaking with ended the call right away. She closed her eyes and think of Dong Wook. She sighed and looked at the pictures on her wall as she asked, "Why did you even have to do that, Dong Wook-ah?"

The next day, Kwang Soo and Jong Kook have agreed to meet at Kwang Soo's place. Jong Kook was about to meet go there, but he saw a familiar woman. The woman didn't see him because she seems to be in a hurry to leave for work. He was about to run after her, but he heard Kwang Soo's voice calling for him. "What took you so long, Hyung?" asked Kwang Soo. "I saw Song Ji Hyo again." answeed Jong Kook. "Again?" asked Kwang Soo. "I saw her last night, there at the lobby." Kwang Soo and Jong Kook exchanged stares upon hearing it.

"Why don't we eat at restaurant where she works?" asked Jong Kook. "Hyung, are you interested in her?" Kwang Soo asked the older man. "Are you out of your mind?" he asked in a serious tone. Kwang Soo smiled at him and said, "Hyung, you sound so sensitive or so defensive whenever I mention about her. Do you know her by any chance?" This time, Jong Kook smiled at Kwang Soo and answered, "Do you think I'll go on this revenge thing if I have known her all along?" Kwang Soo then thought of what he said and ended up shrugging his shoulders.

They have finally decided to go to where the woman works, and they can tell that the restaurant she works in is so fancy. "Hyung, let's have a change of plan." Kwang Soo suddenly said. "What do you mean?" asked Jong Kook. "I think we should just meet her together not separately." mentioned Kwang Soo. "Alright." Jong Kook agreed. However, right before they sit together, Ji Hyo approached them already. "Table for two, Sir?" asked Ji Hyo. "No, just for one." Kwang Soo then said. Jong Kook was confused, and so he ended up sitting next to Kwang Soo's table.

"Here's the menu." Ji Hyo told Kwang Soo before giving another menu to Jong Kook. "Nice to meet you again." Jong Kook the told her. She smiled at the man's greeting, but she didn't greet him back. "What's your bestseller here?" asked Jong Kook. "You can try Pomodoro or Fettucini, they are really tasty." Ji Hyo suggested. "I'll take the Pomodoro." Jong Kook answered. Ji Hyo gave him a bow, so she could get Kwang Soo's order already. "What's your order, Sir?" she asked. Kwang Soo looked at her and said, "I'm not really in the mood to eat."

Ji Hyo was surprised when she heard one of their new customer's answer. "We sell hot and cold drinks, too." she then said. "Isn't that a given?" asked Kwang Soo. She remained calm, and asked, "Have you decided on what to order then?" Kwang Soo looked at Ji Hyo as he said, "Your name is Song Ji Hyo, isn't it?" Ji Hyo nodded and asked, "How did you know?" Kwang Soo looked at her again as he mentioned, "Are you that stupid? You're wearing a name tag." Ji Hyo then realized that she has her name pin on her uniform. "I'm sorry." she uttered.

“Are you alright, Miss?” Kim Jong Kook asked her. She smiled at the man and answered, “Yes, I am. Thank you for the concern. I’ll just foward your order, Sir. As well as your order.” Jong Kook and Kwang Soo looked at each other without saying anything. Ji Hyo noticed the two men looking at each other when she was about to get the menu back, so she asked, “Do you guys know each other?” Jong Kook looked at her and replied, “No. I think we’re just looking at each other like this because we are both Koreans.” Ji Hyo smiled at Jong Kook again as she said, “Nice point there.”

Their orders are haven’t been served yet, so Kwang Soo just decided to go to where Jong Kook’s table is. “Hey, why are you so confusing? Why can’t you just stand firm with your decisions?” asked Jong Kook. “Hyung, are you getting angry at me right now? Kwang Soo asked in disbelief. “Yeah, I am.” answered Jong Kook. “But why?” asked Kwang Soo. jong Kook then replied which made both of them surprise, “Because it annoys me now. Why do we have to go through this if you keep on behaving like that? Just act naturally. You’re not just going to confuse her. You’re also going to confuse me. Let's just let it be. Isn’t it already enough for us to pretend that I am you, and that you are me?"