Act 3: The Girl Who Could Talk to Animals

Adventure Time

It was yet another quiet night, and the entire neighbourhood was already fast asleep. Except for two people who were currently sitting beside each other on a park bench, an awkward atmosphere hung in the air.

----
Due to a nightmare, Officer Yoon decided to go on patrol since she couldn't get back to sleep. As she completed her rounds, she mumbled to herself, "Looks like there are no troublemakers today..."
That was until she spotted a girl seated on one of the park benches, unmoving. Frowning, she approached the girl and tapped her on the shoulder.
"Miss, it's late. You shouldn't be out here, it's dangerous."
At the sudden touch, the girl jumped slightly and turned her head towards the culprit slowly.
When she saw her face, Bomi's eyes popped out of its sockets.
The girl had pale white skin, sunken eyes surrounded by dark circles and raven black hair framing the sides of her face.
"G-G-GHOST!!!"
And Bomi fainted.
----
"...iss?"
"...Are you alright, miss?"
"NO!! DON'T DIE!!"
Bomi's eyes slowly fluttered open, and she was met by the sight of a pair of puckered lips approaching her by the second.
"WOAH!!!" 
By reflex, she pushed the intruder away roughly and took in sharp breaths to calm herself down.
"Owwiee..."
She looked up at the owner of the cute voice. The girl was on the ground, rubbing her with an expression of pain all over her face.
Her face. Now that Bomi had the chance to look at the girl's face more carefully, she looked nothing like a ghost. The girl had chubby cheeks, a cute little nose and small pouty lips. She looked adorable, alright. However, she also looked as if she hadn't slept in days.
"Why'd you push me..." The girl mumbled softly, pouting.
That caused Bomi to come back to her senses, rushing forward to help the girl back onto the bench before taking a seat right next to her which led to the current situation.
----
Finding the silence unbearable, Bomi decided to break the ice.
"I'm sorry for pushing you, I was just...surprised." 
"It's alright."
"..."
"..."
"..."
"Do you mind me asking why you're out here this late?"
The girl shook her head. "Not at all. It's just that I can't sleep these days."
"I see. Do you have any problems you'd like to share?"
"...no. You wouldn't believe me. You'd think I'm crazy just like the others."
Seeing the sad expression on the girl's face, Bomi could feel her heart clench.
"Try me."


The girl kept silent for a while before taking a deep breath and muttered, "I can talk to animals. I haven't been getting any sleep because I keep hearing them."
Bomi's jaw dropped. She closed and opened it again to say something, but ended up closing it again.
"See?! You think I'm crazy too! Forget it, I'm going home. Thanks for listening..."
As the girl turned her back to leave, Bomi's eyes widened. For some reason unknown to her, she wanted the girl to stay. She lunged forward and grabbed her wrist.
"Wait!! No, I believe you!"
The girl raised an eyebrow, doubt obvious in her tone, "Really?"
Bomi didn't know why but when she looked into the girl's eyes, she believed everything she said.
"Yes," she said confidently.
And the two of them got lost in each other's eyes, with Bomi holding onto the girl's wrists.


"How touching! I think I just shed a tear," a voice from above sniffled.
Shocked, the two broke apart and looked for the source of the voice. Sitting on a tree branch was a cloaked figure, munching on some popcorn.
"You!" Bomi pointed an accusing finger at the figure. "Train to Busan!!"
"NOOO!!! Please not that name! It was against my will, I swear!" The figure wailed, a few pieces of popcorn hitting Bomi's face.
"I don't care! How are you able to eat with that mask anyway?!" Bomi pelted the assassin with rocks from the floor.
"Nuuuuuu!!" The assassin fell onto the ground dramatically, with popcorn flying everywhere.
"I've been receiving many complaints from people saying that some pesky kids went off kicking the dustbins. But I know it was you, you little !" Bomi grabbed the assassin's neck and shook her furiously.
"Hey, cut me some slack okay. I fell into those bins!" The assassin defended uselessly.
"What the hell? I can't believe I haven't caught you yet!"
"Haha! Just admit you !"
"Why, you–!"
"Umm...I'm still here, y'know." A timid voice said.
As Bomi turned her attention towards the girl whose name she still didn't know, the assassin escaped from her now loosened grip.
"Seeya around, er!!" The assassin pulled her mask down and stuck her tongue out, disappearing into the shadows. But not before pointing a certain finger at Bomi.
"That little nuisance...I swear I'll personally sentence her to death one day. ONE DAY!" Bomi clenched her teeth waved her fist in the air.
The girl shivered.


As Bomi walked the girl home, she asked her a question that she had wanted to since they met.
"My name's Yoon Bomi. What's yours?"
The girl smiled shyly.

"Chorong. Park Chorong."