Chapter 22; Friend or foe?

Red Lines

  SUMMER; June

Thursday -- Morning

 

The class was bubbling with excitement, or at least it was to Jiyoo and Jungkook. The two were trying their best to keep calm with all of the weebs in their class talking about the new Highschool of the Dead movie that was going to be released this Saturday at midnight.

Were they psyched? Hell yeah. But were they going to watch it?

 

As if their lives depended on it.

 

“I heard that Alice might die.” Jungkook whispers, scanning through his phone for possible spoilers online.

“If she dies, I’ll kill you.” Jiyoo hisses. “I love Alice.”

“She’s so useless though.” Jungkook argues, “She was only introduced for a filler episode anyways.”

Jiyoo puts her phone down on the table and glares at Jungkook. “She’s cute and I’d protect her with my life.”

“Not like you’d be able to do anything in a zombie apocalypse.” Jungkook teases.

While the two began to argue with one another about how useful Alice was, they were unaware of the onlooker that was watching them from afar. He was sneaky about watching them, but was almost caught by Jungkook when he’d let his eyes scan over the room in that one moment.

They met eyes, but in that moment Jungkook was too absorbed by his conversation with Jiyoo to realize that the boy was staring at them. Jungkook did do a double take, but by the time he’d looked back at the boy, his gaze was fixated on his phone instead of them. Jungkook was unsure if they were really being watched so Jungkook said nothing to Jiyoo,

 

“I really want to watch the movie though.” Jiyoo sighs, “I wish we were 18 already.”

The movie they wanted to see was unfortunately rated R. As young freshmen, they were just barely too young to watch the movie alone. They could ask Jungkook’s father to buy the tickets for them, but to watch Highschool of the Dead with Jungkook’s father would be really awkward.

Parental figures and matrix s aren't exactly an appropriate combination.

 

Jiyoo and Jungkook spent the whole day thinking about how they were going to get tickets. Their close bond together in school meant that they weren’t exactly friends with a lot of other kids, meaning they couldn’t ask anyone else to buy the tickets for them.

Their next best bet was to ask one of the guys that were at least 18, but picking the right person that wouldn’t say no and possibly get them in trouble with Jungkook’s father.

 

Jiyoo, Jungkook, and the rest of the guys all left school together, stopping at the bubble drink shop to get drinks before heading home. Jungkook remembered to get his father a drink, saying that he got salty whenever they got drinks without him, but really it was so that he’d say yes to let them see a movie at midnight.

Jungkook’s father would let them watch a regular movie, especially if he didn’t know it was rated R.

“Dad! We’re home!” Jungkook calls out. When he doesn’t earn a reply, he figured that his father was still at work. Jungkook kind of knew his dad would still have work, that’s why he didn’t add boba in his drink. This way, there was no boba to get hard in the fridge to keep the rest of the drink cold.

“My body still hurts from the testing.” Namjoon sighs, stretching out his back before plopping onto the couch.

“This goes to show you need more exercise.” Seokjin scoffs, sitting down next to him.

Since it was a Thursday, many of the boys were already tired from the week itself. Namjoon and Seokjin were joined by Suga, the three already beginning to doze off. Jimin was busy playing clash on his phone while Taehyung wasn’t doing anything in particular. He was still attached to Jiyoo though, his hand s around her now healed up ankle as he gently rubbed the area.

Hoseok was the only one that didn’t seem tired, which was perfect for Jiyoo and Jungkook’s plan. After planning what they were going to do, Jiyoo and Jungkook decided that asking Hoseok to buy the tickets for them was their best bet. They both knew he was kind of into adult things, and he was the least likely to tell them no that was of age.

 

As Hoseok went into the kitchen to grab something to drink, Jiyoo and Jungkook knew that was their chance. Jungkook pulled out his phone and opened up clash, waving his phone in Taehyung’s line of vision.

“Hey Jiyoo, did you see the new update for this game?” Jungkook baited, watching as Taehyung moved in the corner of his eye. “Baby dragons are half elixir price.”

“No way!” Jiyoo gasped, looking at Taehyung as she covered .

Taehyung was really interested now. He pulls out his phone and plops down next to them. “I don’t have that. Why don’t I have that?” He begins to complain.

“You didn’t upgrade your buildings that’s why.” Jungkook says oh so obviously.

With Taehyung and Jimin, who’d snuck over to where they sat after hearing them talk about the game, there was nobody stopping Jiyoo from going over to Hoseok to ask him for the movie tickets.

“I’m gonna get a drink.” She says softly, excusing herself to the kitchen.

So far so good. None of the older boys stood up to stop her, the three on the couch dozing off from their lack of energy. Jiyoo tiptoed into the kitchen and saw Hoseok standing in front of the fridge as he searched for something to drink. When he’d closed the door, he was surprised to see Jiyoo.

“Ah!” Hoseok jumped, shocked by Jiyoo’s sudden presence. He ended up spilling the water that was in his cup, some of it splashing on the counter while the other wet the floor. “You scared me.”

He pinched Jiyoo’s nose before going to grab a napkin to wipe up the water. While he was wiping up the mess on the counter, Jiyoo knew that this was her chance. As soon as he’d bent down to wipe up the water on the floor, Jiyoo bent down with him.

She poked out her lower lip and opened her eyes wide, staring at Hoseok with the cutest expression she could manage without laughing. “Can I ask for a favor?”

Hoseok was taken aback by Jiyoo’s sudden request. She almost never asked him for anything, let alone initiated speaking to him in the first place. He swallows nervously and tries not to get lost in her puppy dog eyes.

“W-What is it?” Hoseok lets out, his voice almost getting stuck in his throat.

“Me and Jungkook want to watch Highschool of the Dead, but we can’t watch it because we’re under age…” Jiyoo says with a frown, looking down as if she was going to cry. “Unless you can get the tickets for us?”

Unable to answer her question, Hoseok continues to stare at Jiyoo as his mouth hung open. His words were jumbled up. Knowing that they probably weren’t allowed to watch the movie, Hoseok was trying to say no, he really was. There was just something about the way that Jiyoo looked at him that made his heart melt.

His hesitation made Jiyoo nervous. In a hasty attempt to try and sway Hoseok before anyone realized they were gone for too long, Jiyoo grabs Hoseok’s hands and brings it up to her face.

“You can’t… Hoseok oppa?”

 

Fireworks. Birds spinning around his head. Hoseok could barely think and in the moment, just nodded his head as Jiyoo began to cheer silently in her head. She stood up and began to walk out into the living room before stopping and turning around to face Hoseok, who was still disoriented as he watched her leave.

“Thank you oppa.” Jiyoo whispered, giving him a small smile before returning to Jungkook’s side.

 

Jungkook side eyes the way that Hoseok was blatantly staring at Jiyoo. “Did he say yes?”

“Yup.” Jiyoo says in a hushed voice.

Nothing seemed too out of the ordinary after that. The maknae line played games like it was nobody’s business while the hyung line were busy napping, besides Hoseok. He sat in the rocking chair and was scrolling through his phone, giggling every once in awhile at whatever he was looking at.

After a while, Seokjin had woken up from the heat that was beginning to come from having so many bodies on the couch. He steps into the kitchen and winces, feeling his foot dip into something cold on the floor.

 

“What the-” Seokjin lifts his foot and finds that he’d stepped in water. Being much more awake, he marched into the living room. “Who the hell spilled water in the kitchen?”

“Sorry hyung!” Hoseok yells. His steps were light as he skipped into the kitchen, gladly getting a paper towel and wiping up the mess he’d made. Giving Seokjin a smile, he wipes his brow. Hoseok’s face seems to be shining a bit more than usual. “Really sorry about that.”

Seokjin knows that Hoseok was usually a bit more on the energetic side, but seeing him act like this was weird on a whole nother level. Since it was just them two in the kitchen, Seokjin figured it would best to ask him then and there.

“What’s up with you?” Seokjin asks with an eyebrow raised.

Hoseok hums, smile never leaving his face as he begins to wash his hands. “Oh, you know. Just older brother duties to take care of.”

Now Seokjin was even more confused. Hoseok didn’t have any younger siblings. He was the younger sibling.

 

That’s when it hit him that Hoseok’s smug face could only be the work of a certain maknae.

 

“Jiyoo!” Seokjin calls, quickly stepping into the living room. His loud voice made Jiyoo jump in her spot while those that were sleeping had woken up.

“Y-Yeah?” Jiyoo said, trying to calm her quickly beating heart. She glances over to Jungkook and they both had the same question in their mind: Did Seokjin know?

Seokjin didn’t miss the shared fear the two had and had more of a clue that Jungkook was possibly involved with whatever was going on.

 

“What did you do?” Namjoon spoke loud and clear.

Since he’d been rudely woken up, his instinct was to extinguish the problem and get back to his dreams. When nobody speaks up, he looks at Taehyung first. “What did you do?”

“It’s not even me!” Taehyung whined. “Seokjin hyung just started calling for Jiyoo.”

Now Jiyoo was really being thrown under the bus. Refraining from throwing a glare at Taehyung, she looks at Seokjin and waits for him to ask whatever he was going to ask.

“What honorable act did Hoseok do?” Seokjin asks, “Because he’d only refer to one person here as his younger sibling. Willingly at least.”

Jiyoo looks at Hoseok and then goes back to Seokjin, shrugging her shoulders. “I dunno. I thought Hoseok was the younger child in his family?”

Namjoon could tell Jiyoo was straying away from the question. Not only was his instinct telling him, but Jungkook looked oddly calm for being present for someone interrogating Jiyoo.

“Answer him Jiyoo.” Namjoon eyes Jungkook before sighing, “Before I ask Jungkook to spill.”

 

Jiyoo and Jungkook couldn’t escape now. And so the truth was revealed.

“I don’t know what’s so bad about it though?” Suga shrugs. A yawn escaped his mouth after being woken up from his nap. “They’re almost 18 anyways.”

“But they’re not 18, that’s the thing.” Seokjin sighs.

Jiyoo and Jungkook looked down at their laps, their eyes guilty from trying to have pulled a fast one.

“And you.” Seokjin points at Hoseok, who pointed back at himself confusedly. “You were really going to buy them the tickets?”

“Well no- I mean, uh…” Hoseok looks at Jiyoo and Jungkook who were obviously being chewed out. He felt bad for not sticking up for them, but this was Seokjin they were talking about here.

And nobody wanted to deal with that.

 

--

 

“You shouldn’t have called Hoseok hyung oppa.” Jungkook grumbles, burying his face into his arms.

It was the day before the premiere for the movie and Jiyoo and Jungkook were back to where they were yesterday. Ultimately Hoseok was banned from getting the tickets for them, as was Suga, who claimed he would’ve been too lazy to do it anyways. Seokjin and Namjoon were firm with their scoldings for Jiyoo and Jungkook, reprimanding them even on the way to school that morning.

“What else was I supposed to do?” Jiyoo sighs. She knew that it was a cheap trick, but that’s how badly she wanted to get the tickets for the movie.

They both look at one another before sighing. There was five minutes left before class was going to get out for that day and they were more down in the dumps than ever. Jungkook continued to sulk with his face against the desk while Jiyoo was torturing herself by rereading the manga for Highschool of the Dead.

While Jiyoo was immersed in her own little world, Jungkook felt a presence nearby. His instinct sensed an Alpha, causing him to snap up and check their surroundings. A large body covered his field of vision, causing him to draw back quickly, ultimately falling out of his chair.

“Jungkook what are you doing?” Jiyoo drones, eyes not leaving her phone until a finger gingerly poked her shoulder. Looking up, she had to crane her neck to look the mysterious person in the eye. He had a serious look on his face, and his lingering pheromones made it known that he was an Alpha.

Jiyoo was on guard now. She opened to scream, “JUNG-”

“D-Do you want to watch Highschool of the Dead?”

Jungkook is on his feet now, but refrains from sending his pheromones out towards the stranger. Jiyoo is frozen as well, only looking at the person in front of her in shock. His voice was really deep, especially for someone in high school.

“W-What do you mean?” Jungkook speaks first, still wary of the stranger.

The boy nervously looks around. Seeing that the seat in front of Jiyoo’s desk was unoccupied (since nobody liked to sit next to them lmao), he takes the chair and sits in it. Even as he sat, the boy was still taller than Jiyoo. His knees were pressed together stiffly as he kept his hands on his lap.

“I mean.. I can get you tickets.” The boy says again, eyes downcast as he refrains from looking them in the eye.

Jiyoo’s eyes light up and she’s not as afraid of the stranger anymore. “Really? You can?”

“What’s the catch?” Jungkook asks suspiciously.

 

The boy looks up and grabs both Jiyoo and Jungkook’s hands. There was nothing hostile about it, but it did make them uncomfortable. Taking a deep breath, the boy looks at them in the eye.

“I need you to pretend to be my friends, just for the night.”

 

Jiyoo and Jungkook take a moment to process what the boy had said. It seemed almost too good to be true, and a bit awkward too. The guy was pretty awkward after all.

“We can but…” Jungkook looks at the boy, “We don’t even know your name dude.”

The boy’s eyes light up and he immediately lets go of Jiyoo’s hand to shake Jungkook’s, their hands rising and falling quickly from his excitement. “Hyunbin! Kwon Hyunbin.”

“Nice to meet you Hyunbin.” Jungkook nods his head.

There was something about Hyunbin that made Jungkook relax. Maybe it was because he’d just gotten used to having Bangtan around so much, but something about Hyunbin seemed genuine.

“Ah!” Hyunbin lets go of Jungkook’s hand and backs up, causing the chair he sat on to make a loud screeching noise. He bows his head and barely misses the edge of Jiyoo’s desk. “Sorry for touching you without Jungkook’s permission.”

“H-Huh?” Jiyoo was confused why Hyunbin would say such a thing.

When Hyunbin sees the lack of understanding on her face, he waves his hands frantically to avoid a misunderstanding. “I-I just thought that you didn’t really like being touched.”

“How would you know something like that?” Jungkook asks curiously.

 

The bell rang, signaling that the school day had come to an end. It seemed as though Hyunbin had something to do after school and immediately stands up. He doesn’t forget to answer Jungkook’s question though.

“I eat lunch in the cafeteria too, so I see you guys from time to time.” He admits bashfully, “You’re like her protector aren’t you?”

Hyunbin flashes a smile that’s too smooth to match his frantic personality before running to the door. Before he leaves, he manages to get Jiyoo and Jungkook’s attention. “Meet me at the movies near the station at 11:30 PM!”

 

He was long gone once Jiyoo and Jungkook managed to get their things together. As they walked down the hall, Jungkook couldn’t help but be skeptical of their new ‘acquaintance’.

“He seems nice.” Jiyoo says without thinking too much into it.

There were many factors that put Jungkook off guard. Hyunbin was an Alpha, and yet he’s coming to them to be his pretend friends for the day. Not only that, but Hyunbin’s face looked really familiar to Jungkook for some reason. He just couldn’t put his finger on it.

“Jungkook? Jungkook!”

He snaps out of his thoughts and looks at Jiyoo, who’s slightly pissed she was being aired out for so long. “Y-Yeah, what’s up Jiyoo?”

“I was saying,” Jiyoo said with a huff, “We need to figure out how to get around the others so that they don’t know we’re going to see the movie.”

A small smile appears on Jungkook’s face. He slings an arm around Jiyoo’s shoulders before letting out a loud sigh.

 

“That’s the easy part, trust me.” Jungkook says with a grin. “After all, dad doesn’t need to know what movie we’re watching. And the others don’t need to know at all.”

 

A/N: Guess what idiot forgot to change the months for the seasons helper? This idiot with bangs! I cut my hair and kinda iffy about it still, but snow makes my face look cute, so hey- I guess it works. Check it out here! We're officially in Summer so that means a new cover poster aaaaand summer time fun? Maybe. I may or may not have made it a little short because I'm a aaahaha. Any produce 101 fans ? I loved Hyunbin even though he was terrible in the beginning. I was also a Sohye stan if you can't tell (I cheer for the underdogs lol)

Hope you liked the chapter!