Chapter 20; Disturbing peace

Red Lines

  SPRING; May

Monday -- Morning

 

With summer quickly approaching, there was one thing left to do in school before the vacation started:

 

Monthly testing.

 

As an added bonus, since it’s the end of the quarter, this meant that there was a special quarterly testing. Such a ‘blissful’ addition indeed- For Alphas.

Jiyoo wants her body to melt right into her chair right about now. There was something scary about monthly testings that she couldn’t put her finger on it. To think that there were quarterly testings was an even worse thought.

 

“Move! You stupid Omega.”

Now she remembers.

Luckily Jiyoo wasn’t the one being called out. She watched with a heavy heart as the Omega was forced to change tables as a group of Betas took the Omega’s spot. It was a bit strange, since Betas were usually more calm than Alphas, but then again, to each was their own.

“Poor kid.” Jimin frowns, watching as the Omega boy shuffled away to another table.

“I’ll make sure nothing like that happens to you again.” Hoseok sighs, pulling Jiyoo into his chest as he pats her back comfortingly.

Jiyoo shrugs out of his grasp and manages to look at the Omega before he’d disappeared in the crowd. Thinking back on it, Jiyoo was blessed to have such good friends.

“No, you absolutely can’t sit here.” Jimin says politely through his teeth.

His harsh words were directed at Joohyun and her group of friends. Apparently they thought that Joohyun’s act of terror on Jiyoo was somehow excused after time passed. They were shocked that such menacing aura could come from Jimin out of all people, but after seeing the unfriendly gazes on the table, the girls knew they weren’t wanted there. They walk off without another word.

 

“Geez.” Hoseok sighs, “You’d think they’d understand that we’d never want them to sit with us after the mishap with Jiyoo.”

“Too persistent.” Jungkook cringes.

Jiyoo nods her head and watches as Joohyun’s group leaves. Sure enough they managed to harass another group of kids in order to take their table. It allowed the girls to stay near the vicinity of Jiyoo’s table, which bothered her to no end.

“Why can’t she just get a boyfriend and leave us alone?” Jiyoo grumbles under her breath, sneaking glances at Joohyun who wasn’t exactly ugly in society’s standards. She had what most boys wanted: A pretty face, good body and good social standing.

“She’s a that’s why.” Suga grunts in response.

Namjoon gives him a warning look to tell Suga to hold his tongue in front of Jiyoo, but even Namjoon couldn’t help but agree with Suga’s statement. Joohyun was bad company, and that was obvious.

 

“Do we all have to participate in that quarterly testing?” Suga says out of the blue, putting the conversation back on track before Joohyun’s outburst had interrupted them. He looks at Jiyoo for an answer.

“Yes, sadly.” She says unwillingly. “It’s weighted more than our actual finals.”

“Tests here don’t really matter.” Jungkook shrugs, peeking over at Taehyung who was getting too excited after hearing that. “But only if you do homework like Jiyoo and I.”

Taehyung’s happy expression fell and he sulked in his seat, pulling out his phone to ignore the rest of the conversation since he didn’t really care about the quarterly testing anyways.

“I heard we’re going to be playing some kind of group game?” Namjoon inquires, looking at Jiyoo and Jungkook for some sort of clarification.

“Capture the flag.” Jiyoo groans, her physique looking particularly small after she’d spoken.

Jungkook chuckles at how worried she was. He knew that testing times always made her nervous, but it wasn’t as though Jiyoo was incompetent either. She always did just below average on her scores, which was pretty good considering their school liked to pick on Omegas the most. “Apparently it changes every quarter, but the school always had one without fail.”

She takes a small breath before sighing again. “Thus giving us two days to prepare before the hell on Wednesday.” Jiyoo groans.

She kicks her feet forward and unknowingly kicks Suga in the knee. When she sees him draw back in pain, she immediately leans over the table and checks to make sure he’s okay. The glare in his eye showed he wasn’t dying, but it sure scared Jiyoo less. She mumbles one more apology before sitting back in her seat.

Suga uses his chopsticks to take a piece of Jiyoo’s chicken in exchange, watching her expression turn from sad to shock as he popped it into his mouth. He enjoyed teasing her, chewing on the piece of chicken satisfiedly. “Thanks Jiyoo-yah.”

“Yah!” Seokjin yells, “She’s already skinny enough! Don’t take her food.”

His mother-like words make Suga roll his eyes, not he nonetheless manages to pull a packaged bread out from his backpack before tossing it over to Jiyoo. “Eat this twiggy.”

Jiyoo takes the bread and rips it out of the package, chewing on the bread with a small smile on her lips. The bread was big and covered , hiding the tiny bit of happiness that Suga gave her just from the simple gesture of food.

 

Since it was almost time for class to start, everyone on Jiyoo’s table began to clean up their belongings and lunches for the break. They all knew how packed it got once the bell rang and they all hated the hustle and bustle that could’ve easily been avoided just by leaving a few minutes earlier than everyone else.

 

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay Jiyoo?” Taehyung asks, looking at Jiyoo worriedly.

Since Taehyung was walking backwards in front of her, Jiyoo averted her eyes from his. This didn’t stop him from trying to get her to look at him though. He presses his hands to her cheeks and brings her face up to his own, spreading his own legs to lower himself down to Jiyoo’s height.

“Y-Yeah, no worries.” Jiyoo tried to sound optimistic, but the dread in her voice was obvious to the point where the others began to worry for her as well.

They continued to walk down the hall until seeing a large group of students crowding around the giant bulletin board near the entrance to the school building.

“What are they doing?” Hoseok asks, his head poking over the crowd to try and see what was going on.

Jiyoo and Jungkook gasp, looking at one another before becoming more in sync. “The teams!” They said together, running off to check the groups for the quarterly testing themselves.

 

It was easy for Jungkook to push his way past the crowd since his Alpha pheromones made a majority of the group split a path for him. Jiyoo had it easy as well, taking advantage of the space Jungkook made to follow closely behind. Bangtan followed shortly after, not wanting to rush since they’d just eaten lunch.

Jiyoo and Jungkook’s fallen faces gave it away that they weren’t in the same group. Jungkook’s hands were balled into fists. The students around them unconsciously took a step away from Jungkook, sensing some sort of danger, but not knowing that their instinct was due to Jungkook’s silent seething.

Jiyoo on the other hand just stared up at the board, crestfallen expression making her look a lot smaller.

 

She and Jungkook weren’t put into the same group. To make matters worse, Jiyoo saw Joohyun’s name in the bracket across from her own- Meaning Jiyoo and Joohyun were going to be up against one another for their game of capture the flag.

“To think that the school thought Jungkook was an Omega was a BIG mistake.” Joohyun’s voice could be heard from the very back of the group of students crowding the bulletin board. When Jiyoo spun around to look at Joohyun, the latter was already walking away. Jiyoo managed to catch the sly smile on Joohyun’s lips before she’d vanished around the corner of the hallway.

 

“Why am I not on a team?” Namjoon says, puzzled why his name was listed off to the side with many of the other students.

“Can you read?” Seokjin scoffs, “We have to do basic testing before we can play in a game.”

“You guys never did basic testing so the school doesn’t know how to determine your weaknesses and strengths.” Jungkook huffs, his anger beginning to dissipate as time went by.

Taehyung was too busy scanning through the list of names on Jiyoo’s testing group to look for his own name. It wasn’t as though Taehyung was a new student anymore, but at the same time, looking at the kids in Jiyoo’s group, he knew little to none of their names. The opposing team had a bunch of names he knew, like Joohyun and Yugyeom- to his dismay. Taehyung was a social butterfly and the fact that he didn’t know anybody on Jiyoo’s team meant one thing:

They were probably all Omegas.

 

Not far behind, another group was on the move- or at least, one of the people in the group was moving.

“Yugyeom! Wait for us!” Bambam calls out, shoving a roll of bread into his mouth before rushing to throw away his empty lunch plate. His lanky legs were long, but he didn’t move as quickly as Yugyeom did.

In Yugyeom’s mind, he was okay with leaving his friends behind. They’d catch up later anyways. What he really wanted in the moment was to see what group he was put in for quarterly testing. He rushed to the bulletin board and found his name in the group against Jiyoo’s group.

It made the blood drain from his face when he saw his teammates, which were almost all composed of Alphas. He knew the school was unfair, but these teams were absolutely ridiculous. Yugyeom didn’t want Joohyun on his team either, especially since he knew that Joohyun had some sort of problem with Jiyoo. Figuring it was some sort of Alpha / Omega problem, he dismisses the thought and sighs.

As his head dips down, he manages to catch a familiar scent in the air. His eyes open and he finds a sulking Jiyoo standing almost directly under him. Since he was so tall, it only appeared that way. Jiyoo was still standing directly in front of the board.

 

“J-Jiyoo?” Yugyeom stutters out, “Sorry!”

He backs away from Jiyoo, watching her worriedly as she just trudged her way out of the crowd and to her next class. Anyone could’ve seen she was down in the dumps. Yugyeom wanted to ask her if she was alright, but someone held him back.

 

“What?” Yugyeom’s voice was thin, as if he were trying to hold back from lashing out.

To his surprise, Jackson was the one that prevented him from chasing after Jiyoo. He waited until Bangtan had left to go to class before he’d punched Yugyeom in the arm.

“Ah!” Yugyeom yelps, rubbing his sore arm before glaring at Jackson. “What the hell hyung?”

“You have got to stop chasing after that girl.” Jackson says with a drawn out sigh, his eyes rolling as Yugyeom’s Alpha pheromones begin to seep out.

“I want to make her my mate and by being my mate, you can’t trash talk her like that.” Yugyeom growls, squaring out his shoulders.

“I’m not!” Jackson gasps in shock. He looks around quickly before moving closer to Yugyeom, “I’m just saying that you need to make her want you, not be the other way around.”

Yugyeom stops for a moment, allowing Jackson to continue. “It’s like this man: If she sees you not giving her attention any more, she’ll come back to see what’s up.”

“I feel like Jiyoo just wouldn’t notice.” Yugyeom says unsurely.

Jackson shakes his head, “Trust me. Girls are predictable. Plus, men shouldn’t do the chasing.”

Seeing the questioning looks their friend’s faces, Yugyeom wasn’t sure if he should go along with Jackson’s plan or not. It was true that Jiyoo barely went looking for him. If anything, Jungkook was the one that met his eyes more than Jiyoo did- And that was only because Jungkook was always on the lookout to make sure that he could get Jiyoo to avoid Yugyeom as much as possible.

 

Yugyeom takes one last look in Jiyoo’s direction before letting out a sigh and heading to class. If he was going to take Jackson’s word for it, at least he’d have someone to blame if something bad happened.

 

 

A/N: Almost forgot to update today because my boyfriend was giving me stress, but hey. You choose your poison with relationships //shrugs

See ya Saturday nubs