Chapter 8; Salty

Red Lines

  SPRING; March

Saturday -- Afternoon

 

WARNING: Mentions of the y time ographies

Skip to *** if you don’t want to read it (Press control + F on your keyboard and search for “ *** ”)

 

Whenever Jiyoo and Jungkook were together, they tended to ignore whatever was going on around them. The problem with this was that they were always together, making it hard to get close to either one of them due to the other being close by.

“So uh, Jungkook... What's your taglist?” Hoseok asks, his eyes going between Jungkook and Jiyoo. He didn't want Jiyoo to hear him, but since she was playing on her phone on the floor, it was Hoseok’s perfect chance.

Or so he thought.

 

“What's a taglist?” Jungkook asks, visibly confused.

Hoseok puts a finger over his lips and looks at Jiyoo who was still distracted. “You know, like what tags do you like watching? Ntr? Outdoors? Anything?”

Jungkook gets the idea after Hoseok starts making suggestive motions with his hands. He was glad Jiyoo wasn't paying any attention to them and gives Hoseok a shrug.

“I don't like watching that kind of stuff.”

Sliding off the couch and onto the floor, Jungkook sits next to Jiyoo and pulls out his own phone to link up to the game she was playing. Hoseok was left speechless as Jungkook ignored him to go and play Rocket League with Jiyoo, the two having a blast and unaware of the situation behind them.

“How can he not watch anything? He's in high school for crying out loud.” Hoseok cries bafflingly.

“Maybe he's not as erted as you are.” Jimin mutters. Hoseok puts a hand over his chest and feigns innocence, though he proceeds to laugh it off since he knew he wasn't the purest of boys in the group.

“It's not like I haven't watched it before.” Jungkook says aloud, shocking Hoseok and the others. “I just don't prefer to watch it. It looks kind of gross.”

“And painful.” Jiyoo adds, her eyes not leaving her phone as she pumped her fist victoriously. “I win! it Jungkook!”

Jungkook screams in defeat, pulling Jiyoo into a headlock as she just laughs aloud. Meanwhile, all six guys were staring at Jiyoo. Some were shocked while others had eyes that were dark and unreadable.

 

“You've watched it before Jiyoo?” Jimin says in shock.

Jiyoo pushes Jungkook’s hands away as he starts to mess up her hair. Jungkook settles with wrapping his arms around her waist as Jiyoo sits in his lap.

“Yeah? And that kind of stuff is in a lot of the manhwas that we read.” Jiyoo confirms, looking back at Jungkook who just nods.

 

The others are baffled. To think that Jungkook and Jiyoo both were already tainted by the adult world.

“We're not babies you guys.” Jiyoo says with a pout.

 

***

 

Jungkook nods his head and goes back to his home screen to check the time. The house was getting a little hot and Jungkook could see Jiyoo’s baby hairs start to stick to her forehead.

“Is it hot right now?” Jungkook asks, looking at Jiyoo who nods. He gives her a grin before locking his phone. “Wanna go swimming then?”

Jiyoo liked the sound of that. She was quick to agree, but there was one problem. Jiyoo’s swimsuit was back at her house.

“I gotta go back and grab it.” She grumbled, flopping down onto her back. “And it's so hot outside.”

“I think we still have some of your swimsuits upstairs somewhere…” Jungkook thinks. He's not really sure where his dad kept all of Jiyoo’s extra clothes since she always borrowed his clothes. “And it'll be fine because you haven’t grown in a while.”

 

Jiyoo shoots a glare at Jungkook. “Well sorry I don't outgrow my clothes every three months like you.”

Jungkook chuckles and hugs Jiyoo. “You know I was joking. I'll go upstairs and try and find it.”

He stands up and heads towards the stairs, only to look back at Jiyoo. “And let me know if anything happens, okay?”

“Kay.” Jiyoo hums, unaware of his warning glance towards Taehyung.

 

As soon as Jungkook was out of sight, Taehyung moves from his spot on the floor so that he was sitting next to her. He still kept his distance, not wanting to startle her and risk getting caught by Jungkook.

Seeing someone sit so warily next to her caught her attention still though. Jiyoo looks up and sees Taehyung. He gave her a nervous wave and Jiyoo waved back just as timidly.

“I like you.” Taehyung blurts, startling the guys and Jiyoo.

She makes a small motion to move away from Taehyung, but seeing his small frown, she stops. Jiyoo remembers treating Taehyung a bit coldly when they’d first met. She had her reasons, but they weren’t good enough to just pretend like he didn’t exist just because she wasn’t comfortable with him.

Taehyung sees her hesitation and in one swift moment, he has Jiyoo’s hand in his own. “I don’t want to scare you anymore. And I’m not that mean, right?”

Seeing the desperation in his eyes, Jiyoo shakes her head. She tries to pull her hand away too, but Taehyung refuses to let go.

“Let go of her hand Taehyung.” Jimin says softly, his eyes going back and forth between him and Jiyoo. “You know she doesn’t like it.”

“But-” Taehyung’s head whips from Jimin to Jiyoo. “But we can’t be friends?”

“Friends don’t hold hands like that.” Seokjin rolls his eyes.

 

Immediately Taehyung’s hands release Jiyoo’s. He looks at the stairs to check if Jungkook was coming back before looking at Jiyoo, determined to get closer to her.

“But you and Jungkook hold hands all the time. And we can’t be just friends?”

Jiyoo’s thinks about it, but it doesn’t take too long for her understand why it’s different.

 

Taehyung was Taehyung and Jungkook was Jungkook. It was simple.

 

“Jungkook is special though...” Jiyoo’s voice gets soft towards the end, but Taehyung doesn’t miss the small pout in her voice. It was as if she were being scolded for being so close to Jungkook and that wasn’t Taehyung’s intention.

“Then… We can be family.”

Taehyung opens his arms and gives Jiyoo a smile. When she doesn’t come to hug him, his arms falter, but he sticks a single hand out. “Family can give high fives, right?”

 

The look on Jiyoo’s face was a mystery. It was as if she were suppressing a smile, but at the same time trying not to let her eyes tear up. The conflicted actions made her eyes wide as she just stared at Taehyung.

Before he could be completely defeated, Taehyung’s hand felt a small tap on his palm. Jiyoo’s hand was much smaller than his in comparison, but he still felt it.

 

She high fived him back. And not only that, but she had a smile on her face that she used around Jungkook.

Taehyung did it.

 

“J-Jiyoo!” Taehyung wails, tumbling forward to pull her into a hug when he was kicked away.

“Not so fast.” Jungkook stops him from making anymore contact with Jiyoo. He sits down in between Taehyung and Jiyoo, tossing her a bunched up swimsuit that was crumpled in his palm. “Family doesn’t hug like that.”

“You hug her all the time!” Taehyung accuses, “I know because I’ve seen it!”

Jungkook’s nose scrunches up, but he says nothing. Instead, he leans back so that his head falls into Jiyoo’s lap. Shooting Taehyung a smile, he watches as the latter’s face burns a jealous scarlet hue. “It’s different for me because I’m special.”

 

Jiyoo rolls her eyes and shoves Jungkook’s head off her lap. Taehyung sees their close interaction as a challenge and leaps on Jungkook. He pulls Jungkook into a tight hug and screams the more Jungkook begins to scream at him to let him go.

Meanwhile, Jiyoo was examining the swimsuit that Jungkook gave her. Her face was disappointed as she held up the bikini swimsuit up to the light.

It had red and white polka dots, matching her slightly more childish fashion sense from her first year in middle school. Being in her first year of high school now, she realized that she really hasn't changed physically since she'd gotten that swimsuit.

 

The only benefit from this was that she didn't have to walk back home.

 

Heading upstairs to change, she did a quick look down the stairs and found the rest of the guys relaxing in the living room still. Some of them were watching her go, but none followed behind to her pleasure.

 

“What?” Suga says, causing all attention to be on him. “Do you want me to come with you this time?”

Images of Suga’s face popped into Jiyoo’s mind before she could stop herself from remembering what happened in the bathroom yesterday. His pink lips, fair white skin- and that stare that sent shivers down her spine. She shakes her head and rushes into the bathroom before he can say anything more. The sound of the lock on the door was heard and Suga just laughs, though a bit crudely.

 

It didn't take Jiyoo too long to change. She made sure to stash her clothes in Jungkook’s room under his blanket before the others found it. It was Jungkook’s old clothes, but she still wanted something comfy to change into after that wasn't touched by the others.

She walked down the hallway and stopped at the top of the stairs to see what the others were up to. Jungkook had already changed into his swim shorts. His shirt was thrown over his shoulder, revealing a smooth stomach. He didn't exercise, so it was natural for Jungkook not to have abs.

“You look so cute Jiyoo-yah!”

 

Jiyoo finds Seokjin cooing at her. Jiyoo’s cheeks turned a slight rosy color as she felt embarrassed the more Seokjin treated her like a child.

Suga let out a whistle, but appeared to have no dirty intent. “And to think you could age backwards. Amazing!” He said sarcastically, looking surprised as he dissed Jiyoo about her figure.

“Jiyoo can be the little sister!” Taehyung squees. He made the effort to make his normal low voice appear high and squeaky, further embarrassing Jiyoo’s situation.

 

“Ready?” Jungkook says, holding out his hand for Jiyoo.

Jiyoo nods her head and as she's heading down the stairs, she jumps from the second step to ground floor. Grabbing Jungkook’s hand, the two walk out to the pool area.

 

“I don't have any extra swimsuits for you guys.” Jungkook says, looking at the rest of the guys who'd followed them out. “Guess you can't swim with us.”

“It's alright.” Namjoon says. He takes off his shirt and twirls it around, biceps clearly showing as he tossed it to the side on the floor. “You have extra clothes and we’re around the same size.”

“Wa-hoo!”

 

Hoseok was first to jump into the pool. His shirt was long gone and when he'd resurfaced, he shook out his hair. The water splashed everywhere, dousing some of the guys that were nearby. Jiyoo’s feet had gotten a bit wet, but it wasn't bad since she didn't have slippers on or anything.

“Come on in guys!” Hoseok laughs, his signature 100 watt grin plastered on his faces “The water feels amazing!”

“It would've been better if we'd felt it ourselves and didn't get splashed.” Seokjin grumbles. His shirt had already gotten soaked due to Hoseok’s cannonball jump into the pool.

Too bad for him that Taehyung had the same idea as Hoseok and soaked Seokjin for a second time. Jimin was there to give Seokjin a consoling pat on the back, though his face was a little red from laughing earlier. He made the effort to walk into the pool normally, taking the stairs before gliding into the water.

Suga didn't look like he was going for a swim. Instead he sat in the shade, laying down in the grass with his face covered with his shirt.

 

Jungkook looked at Jiyoo and the two of them grinned. One thing led to another and it was a race to see who could push the other into the pool first. It was easy to say Jungkook would win since he was much larger, but the time it took for them to go into the pool was pretty drawn out. Jiyoo raced around one side while Jungkook made sure to keep a distance from her on the other side.

Eventually Jungkook had caught Jiyoo. He wrapped his arms around her frame and they both laughed as Jungkook pulled her into the pool with him.

Jiyoo went up to the surface first, wiping the hair out of her face as she was splashed by Jungkook who'd breached the water as well. “It feels nice.”

She doggy paddles to the edge of the pool and Jungkook smiles seeing her so happy. He could tell she was overheating in the house, being glad she wouldn't have to experience any sort of discomfort after what happened yesterday.

 

Jiyoo pulls herself up out of the pool and sits on the edge. She'd forgotten to tie her hair up before she was pulled in by Jungkook. It was a bit difficult since her hair was already wet, but after a few tries, she'd managed to put it into a sort of messy bun.

Since Suga was the only one that didn't want to swim, he was in charge of playing music (courtesy of Hoseok). He'd brought out a mini speaker and hooked up the Bluetooth. It was easy for him to choose a song because he'd just pressed for a playlist to shuffle.

A familiar beat began to play and both Jiyoo and Jungkook turned to look at Suga.

 

“This is BTS!” Jiyoo squeals, her eyes widening more as Suga turned the volume for ‘Run’ louder.

“I thought you guys didn't know them?” Jungkook says, raising an eyebrow at Suga who had ignored him. Instead, he went back to laying in the grass, his eyes closed as if Jungkook hadn't asked him the question.

“Suga hyung was up all night listening to them.” Taehyung grumbles, “I heard it from his room.”

“No wonder he looks like death all the time.” Jungkook shrugs, earning a slap from Jiyoo.

Her eyes were anxious to see if Suga would retaliate, but was relieved when he continued to lay down in the grass. She gives Jungkook a disapproving look and kicks her foot forward, sending a small wave of water to Jungkook’s face.

 

“Hey Jiyoo! Watch this!” Hoseok calls out. He'd jumped out of the pool and was dripping wet still, moving to the grass before breaking out into dance.

His steps, his movements- everything was in sync to the song. Jiyoo let out an amazed shout the more Hoseok danced. She was so distracted that she didn't realize that Jungkook had swam over to rest  in between her legs that were dangling in the pool.

“How did you learn that so quickly?” Jiyoo asked, baffled by how good Hoseok looked. “You have some serious skills Hoseok!”

“It was a bit difficult,” Hoseok admits bashfully. His face blushed as he got a little shy at Jiyoo’s compliments. “But I only had to learn the chorus, so it wasn’t too bad.”

Jiyoo claps her hands softly and stares at Hoseok with stars in her eyes. She definitely looked as though she were looking at J-Hope of BTS instead of Hoseok the goofball.

“Do you- Songs? Dance, I mean. Any more?” She asks a bit too excitedly. Her words got jumbled up, and she ended up sticking out her tongue frustratedly. With her eyebrows pinched together, Jiyoo’s pouty expression made Hoseok’s smile grow larger.

“I know a couple more dances, if that’s what you’re asking.”

 

Hoseok moves effortlessly as he dances through more songs by BTS: Blood, Sweat and Tears, No More Dream, even Save Me. Everything was executed perfectly. Although Hoseok only learned the chorus for each, Jiyoo was just as amazed for all of his dances. Being so starstruck, she didn’t realize Jungkook was playing with her toes in hopes she’d pay attention to him. Seeing that she wasn’t going to do that, he sank down into the water and blew bubbles to pass the time.

Another twenty minutes had passed by before Hoseok was starting to work up a sweat. He ended up cannon balling back into the pool, causing everyone within a five foot vicinity around the pool to be splashed. Jiyoo squealed as her stomach was splashed by the cold water. Unluckily for Jungkook, since he was still in the pool, his entire face had been doused by a wave of water.

Poor Jungkook looked like a wet cat. His bangs covered his eyes and he huffed, the thick strands slightly being blown up before slapping him back in the eyes again. Jiyoo was able to see the distress he was in and used the tips of her fingers to wipe Jungkook’s hair away.

 

Jungkook looked up at her expecting his anger to still reside within him, but as soon as he saw Jiyoo’s smile, the words got stuck in his throat.

“What’s wrong Jungkook?” She giggled. Jiyoo used her fingers to twirl little curls into Jungkook’s wet hair.

The first thing he did wasn’t vent his anger. Jungkook turned around and let his temple rest against Jiyoo’s knee. Jiyoo didn’t know why Jungkook wasn’t responding, and tugged on his ears playfully.

“Hoseok’s dancing was cool, right?” She pipes up, causing Jungkook to jump a bit.

“U-Uh, yeah.”

Jungkook can still feel Jiyoo’s eyes looking at him fondly, further making him feel guilty that he’d gotten mad for no reason.

She kicks one leg over Jungkook’s head and slides into the water with him. Wrapping her arms around his neck, Jiyoo clings to Jungkook and snuggles into his back.

“We should learn dances too.” Jiyoo chuckles, pressing her cheek into Jungkook’s neck. “I think you’d look really cool dancing.”

 

There was no way in hell Jungkook could get mad at her now.

 

Meanwhile in the shade, Hoseok was drying off next to Suga, who was sitting up instead of trying to sleep anymore. The both of them watched as Jungkook swam with a smug smile on his face and with Jiyoo on his back. They looked incredibly happy and the happy aura surrounding them made Hoseok smile- And made Suga want to puke.

“Why are you trying so hard to please her?” Suga grumbles, looking at Hoseok who just had a fond smile playing on his lips.

Hoseok turns to look at Suga and gives him a weird look, as if to say ‘you don’t know?’. When Suga still continues to stare at him, Hoseok shakes his head.

“It’s the same reason why you were listening to a damn kpop group all last night.”

Suga squints at the later, who shrugged his shoulders. “I was not.”

“Don’t lie hyung.” Hoseok teases, “I could hear Tomorrow blasting through the walls, even with the soundproof padding.”

 

Suga snorts, kicking his feet out before laying back down and placing his hat over his face. Hoseok still sat up though, watching as Taehyung tried his best to separate Jiyoo and Jungkook out of jealousy.

“Don’t you get that feeling that she’s babied too much?” Hoseok asks, eyes turning a bit sad.

“No .”

Taking a moment of quiet after Suga’s honest opinion, Hoseok nods his head and lets the conversation die down. There was something about Jiyoo that made Hoseok see a reflection of himself, though he had no idea what it was.

Was it her shyness?

 

No, Hoseok was much too friendly for that.

 

Her past?

 

Again, no. Hoseok’s family treated him well and he’d never felt ill feelings towards them, even when his sister used to bully him.

 

Jiyoo’s personality was bright and childish, much like his own. And even though she hid that from people she wasn’t comfortable with (which was pretty much everyone besides Jungkook and Jungkook’s father), Hoseok wanted to bring that side of her out more.

 

“I don’t want her to be afraid of us hyung.” Hoseok sighs. He brings his knees up to his chest and wrapps his arms around his legs, letting his chin sit atop his knees as he watched the others play in silence.

“If she gets better at controlling her pheromones, I’ll think about not scaring her.”

Hoseok turns and still sees Suga smirking despite how his hat covered most of his face. Any of the guys could tell that Suga enjoyed making Jiyoo and Jungkook suffer. It was apart of his sadistic personality and the fact that he didn’t like the way that Jungkook practically tried to challenge him every time Jiyoo’s name appeared into the conversation.

“You’re just upset that Jungkook is the only one she’s comfortable with.” Hoseok chuckles bitterly. He too wanted to get closer to Jiyoo, but had less time with her than Taehyung, who Jungkook was very keen on keeping away from Jiyoo.

“He can go himself for all I care.”

Suga turns on his side so that his back was facing Hoseok, signaling that he didn’t want to talk anymore.

 

“I can let you ride me better that Jungkook can!” Taehyung roars, his scream disrupting the peace as everyone’s attention was on him now.

Namjoon was already wading his way through the water to smack Taehyung while the latter swam away quickly. He chased Jiyoo and Jungkook, who were making noises at him as they worked together to swim away.

“Taehyung’s a ert!” Jungkook calls out, earning a squeal from Jiyoo who played along with his jester.

“Eww! A ert!” Jiyoo copies, her and Jungkook breaking out into a fit of laughter.

 

Taehyung fakes a heartbreak, clutching his bare chest in anguish as he lets out a small whine. Before he could open his eyes, Jimin had come up behind him and pushed Taehyung down into the water. A faint flush could be seen on Jimin’s face, but his muscles rippled as he shoved Taehyung under, the two actions being very contradictory.

Hoseok takes one last look at Suga who continued to lay down unbothered by the rest of the world. Glancing back towards those in the pool, he saw Taehyung who had resurfaced from under the water. He was still trying to get close to Jiyoo and Hoseok knew it was his turn to intervene.

Standing up, he jumps up and down a bit before dashing to the pool. He tucks his legs up to his chest as he jumped, aiming right in the middle of the pool with a happy grin on his face.

“Cannonball!” He cheers, earning a plethora of screams back from the others.

 

 

A/N: Quick update a day early again! I have to cover two new IMPORTANT things!!!

1) I'm changing my regular days to update this story from Sunday to Saturday because I work now (yiKES)

2) Once this story hits the hundreds (i.e. 200 subs, 300 subs, etc.) on subscriber count, I will be doing a kpop merch giveaway! I'll put more information about it later because I'm the dd for a party my family and I are headed to zzzz

Hope you liked the chapter and talk to you all soon!