Chapter 3

Learning How to Feel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

           

           I woke up the next morning. It was already past lunch time. I slept in, since I fell asleep late that night because of my never ending thoughts. I slowly made my way to the bathroom and took a long shower. I had to get ready to go to the café since it was Jaeyoon’s shifts. I knew I had to initiate some kind of conversation with him, but I had no idea how to even start. After my shower I went down to the kitchen and found the breakfast my mother must have prepared for me. I quickly ate and then I got out of the house making my way to the café.

            I tried to think of a subject that could be interesting for Jaeyoon, but I had no idea what he could like. I don’t know anything about him. I got to the café with no idea how to start a conversation with Jaeyoon. Maybe, because he seems talkative, he will be the one to start the conversation. That would make it much easier for me. All I had to do is keep the discussion alive, but I am not good at that either.

            I got in the café and took my usual spot at the table at the very corner. I saw Jaeyoon serving some other customers. He didn’t seem to notice me.  When he finally got to the bar he looked around the café and saw me. A bright smile appeared on his face as soon as he realized that it is me. He started doing something and after a few minutes came at me with a cup of coffee in his hand.

            “I was told you like classic coffee, without sugar. Here it is.” He placed the cup on the table and turned around to leave.

            “Wait, can you sit down for a little bit. That’s what Dawon used to do.” He turned back and looked with wide eyes at me. He was not expecting to hear that from me. He still sat down though, but he looked quite uncomfortable with the situation. At that moment my mind went blank. I did not know what to say and he didn’t look like he had any idea what to say either. I think we stood like that for a few minutes before he broke the silence.

            “Is there something that you wanted to say to me?”

            “Not really, but me and Dawon used to talk for a little after he brought me the coffee.”

            “You must have really like Dawon.” He said it in a low voice, almost looking sad or jealous.

            “He was the only one that knew how to act around me. I am a little difficult to talk to.” I hesitated for a moment before going on “I have a problem that I don’t want to talk about right now. Maybe I will tell you about it later.”

            He looked confused and didn’t say anything, he just nodded, but the expression on his face showed that he didn’t really understand the situation and why I asked him to join me.

            “I am sorry if I am making you uncomfortable. I don’t know how to start a conversation.” I told him honestly hoping that he will say something this time.

            “Oh, I see. It’s okay. I usually am very talkative, but this situation caught me unprepared.”

            “I am sorry; you can go and do your job. It looks like some customers came in. You shouldn’t be wasting your time with me.” I tried to give him a reassuring smile, but I am pretty sure it didn’t look like that at all.

            “I am going to take care of those customers and then come back. I will try to gather my thoughts and maybe I won’t be that out of it after I process what is happening.” He returned my smile, but I am sure it looked more genuine than mine.

            I went on with trying to get some work done on my story and before I could realize Jaeyoon was back to my table smiling like he did on the first day I saw him.

            “You have been doing that for almost two hours already.”

            “Oh, really? I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter