Chapter 1

Learning How to Feel
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

       My mother just doesn't want to understand that I am not interested in blind dates.  She says she is trying to help me "heal", but there is nothing to heal since I believe that I am not sick. Not feeling any emotions is not a sickness, at least not for me. This is how I was born and there is nothing that can be healed. 

       I was on my way to the nearest cafe to my house. This is probably the 100th blind date my mother arranged for me. I am not going to talk to that girl that my mom described as "nice" and "easygoing".  I hate talking with people, I prefer to stay in my room or take a walk by myself. Anything else, but interacting with people. I have given up on my humanity. I am not able to keep a conversation alive, and that is because I am not able to sympathize with others.  It is not like I don't want to, even if I do, I can't. This is how I am. Or how doctors say, "handicapped emotionally". This means I feel nothing. Nothing like sympathy, empathy, sadness, happiness, hate, love or any other emotion.

       This is also the reason why I gave up on people. Since they always leave me when they realize that I can't feel what they do. This is why I have no friends.  They all left me, because of my "handicap".

       But my mother is still trying to find "that someone" that will awake my emotions, my feelings. This is why she keeps sending me on blind dates. I was hopeful at first, I also wanted to believe that there really is someone that can help me. But I have lost all my hope, because I know that is impossible. 

       As I was immersed in my thoughts I realized that I was already at the cafe.  I opened the door and looked around. The girl that my mom showed me a picture of was not there yet, so I sat at a table at the very corner of the cafe. 

       "Hello, what would you like to order?" the waiter said as he placed a glass of water in front of me. 

       "I am waiting for someone, I will order when that person comes..." it is a cafe I am often going to and where most of my blind dates take place. It is only natural that I know the waiters. But as I lifted my head to see which one of them it is I saw an unfamiliar smile plastered on a face that I never saw before.

       "Isn't this supposed to be Dawon's shift?" 

       "Oh, are you a regular? Dawon has resigned, I took all his shifts. I guess I will see you a lot at our cafe.  I am Jaeyoon, the new waiter here." he said pointing to his nametag and giving me a bright smile.

       "I see..  Nice to meet you Jaeyoon."  I said apatically. I did not like him as much as Dawon. He seemed way too bright for me. Dawon already knew about my handicap, he is one of the few people that knew about it, but still talked with me. He would often stay at the table with me when I came and there were not that many clients. We didn't have long discussions. We only exchanged a few words which was more than enough for us. At least I was not alone. I diverted my eyes to the door waiting for the girl to make her appearance.

       "Aren't you going to tell me your name?" I thought that the boy had left, but he was still there. I looked around and saw that the cafe was quite empty, like it always is. I wanted to tell him to go to work, but he had no other customers and the ones that were there had already ordered.

       "It's Inseong." I replied and looked again at the door. The girl I was waiting for must have heard my prayers as she came just in time to save me. Not like I was going to drag this conversation with the waiter any longer.

       The waiter also looked at the door as he heard it opening. "Looks like your partner is here,  Inseong-shi." He said it in a low tone, almost as he didn't want me to hear him. His smile also disappe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter