Split

Perturb

“You said you shouldn’t have trusted them in the first place?” Sana willed to ask.

“Well–”

Flight UA 892 to San Francisco at gate 13 is now open for boarding. Repeating, flight UA 892 is ready for boarding.

“I guess it’s a tale for another day.” Nayeon chuckled.

“Hey Ma, the line is really long.” Nara whined, looking on.

“Sweetheart, it won’t be that time-consuming.” Nayeon giggled, kissing Nara’s head.

Passengers with children, please arrive at the gate first.

“See, it’ll be even shorter.” Nayeon chuckled, slipping her hand through Nara’s.

Sana and Tzuyu smiled, finding Nara cuter and so much like her mother as each moment passed. Yet Sana was curious about what drove them to leave the country. Sure, they’re divorced, but why were they leaving as if they were trying to escape their past? Like there was something chasing them? She was never one to pry into other’s business but she felt the need to want to know. There was a fear rising in her and that was for Nayeon and her daughter.

“Hey, you know, how about you two come with us? Just pretend you’re part of family. You’ll get in quicker.” Nayeon suggested.

“It’s not like the plane will leave without us.” Sana chuckled.

“That’s true.” Nayeon smiled, nodding.

“Ma, where are their seats?” Nara asked, pulling on the edge of her dress.

“Hmm? Oh our seats are 12A and 12B.” Sana replied, bending down to smile at Nara.

“That’s right next to us!” Nara said, jumping up and down. “Can I sit next to Tzuyu, please Ma?”

Nayeon’s eyes widened, surprised by her daughter’s request. Tzuyu seemed to have the same reaction, chuckling moments later. Nayeon looked up to Tzuyu, silently asking the question and Tzuyu nodded. Seeing the approval, Nara giggled, colliding with Tzuyu’s legs. Tzuyu stumbled back a little bit but gained her bearings, picking up Nara with ease.

“You want to sit next to me, huh?” Tzuyu teased, tickling Nara’s stomach.

“You’re cool.” Nara commented, earning a chuckle from Sana as well.

“Alright, I think it’s decided that you’re coming in with us.” Nayeon shook her head, indicating for them to follow her as she walked ahead of them.

Sana watched in astonishment as Nara held tightly onto Tzuyu’s hand, engaging in a conversation that seemed to keep a constant smile on Tzuyu’s face. Nayeon noticed this, smiling at the unknown admiration in Sana’s eyes. That girl was in love with her best friend but hasn’t even realised it. It slightly reminded her of her best friend’s first crush, before things had changed between them. She was oblivious and she kept it that way the entire time. She explained that she would rather not lose the friendship they had built by confessing.

So watching on, she wished the two could just talk it out. It was understandable from Tzuyu’s end since she’d been suppressing her feelings for a while. But there was also Sana, who had just gone through a break up and would most likely assume that the feelings that were rising were a result of the fear of losing a friend. She knew exactly what that feeling was. There was a constant nagging that she wouldn’t pay attention to her anymore since she’d found someone else. Sana was most likely pushing away the feeling in her chest from now because she felt like Tzuyu would never like her in the same way.

Nayeon walked on, being unaware of her surroundings. She bumped into someone, apologising several times and bowing as she helped them pick their things up. She looked up, feeling a chill run down her spine at the sight of the eyes that seemed so familiar. Shrugging it off, Nayeon smiled, apologising once again before the person walked away.

“Are you okay?” Tzuyu asked in concern. Nayeon stifled her laugh at the glare Sana was sending towards her. Jealousy is a lovely thing, isn’t it?

“Of course Tzuyu. Just someone rushing away.” Nayeon smiled, patting Tzuyu’s shoulder. She could feel the glare on her this time and Nayeon dropped her hand quickly, patting Nara’s head before she continued to walk.

Sana frowned, walking faster alongside Tzuyu. She was in her own world with Nara, unaware of the various glares she’s been sending towards her. Tzuyu could be so damn dense sometimes, it surprised her. Nayeon had easily picked up on the glare; Sana had noticed it. Sighing heavily, she sulked as she walked. They were the next in line so it would all be okay soon. Oh wait, it wouldn’t be. Nara had specifically wanted to sit next to Tzuyu so Sana was most likely going to be seated next to Nayeon, on the other end of where Tzuyu was sitting.

Boy, was she ever so excited about the long flight to come. A 10 hour flight sitting next to a woman she didn’t want to sit next to. She hoped that somewhere in between, Nayeon would somehow swap spots with Tzuyu but what were the chances?

Tzuyu had let Nara down, out of her embrace as she followed Nayeon. The girl was surely something else. She didn’t know what Nara saw in her but she was very appreciative of the fact that she was trusted by the young girl so quickly. She noticed Sana sulking beside her and that piqued her interest; she was fine a while back so was there a problem now? She chuckled, jokingly colliding her shoulder with Sana’s. Sana broke out of her thoughts, bumping back into Tzuyu with a larger push than she was meant to. Tzuyu stumbled back, raising an eyebrow at Sana, who was blushing and looking away.

“You two going to keep flirting or are you going to move forward?” The attendant said, scoffing at the two of them. Nayeon was struggling to keep in her laughter as she noticed the two blushing and avoiding each other. So innocent and pure, it made her gush after them.

She waited on the side for the two of them to finish, Nara waiting patiently by her side. The little one was growing tired with the long wait to board. Sana and Tzuyu finally passed through and Nara automatically reached for Tzuyu, holding her hand tightly. Nayeon smiled at the two yet again, shaking her head as they continued to chat about god knows what. It was going to be an interesting flight.

Seating themselves in their row, Tzuyu sat first, with Nara and Nayeon following and Sana on the end. Nayeon’s nervousness was coming back and she hoped it would be okay. Nara held on to her hand, giving her a toothy grin and Nayeon calmed down. She really did help her nervousness. Nayeon kissed her head, running a hand through her hair. Nara was still holding on to Tzuyu’s hand tightly, not wanting to let go.

Please wear your seatbelts as we prepare for take-off.

Nayeon took a deep breath, looking outside for the final time. She didn’t know when she’d be back anymore. She was leaving everything behind now; there was no going back. Nara held on to Nayeon’s hand tighter as the plane started to move.

“Ma?”

“Hmm?”

“It’ll be okay.”

“I know.”

“You’re nervous Ma.”

“I’ll be okay after a while.”

“Okay Ma.”

She shut her eyes tightly, refusing to look anywhere else. The plane was speeding up now, ready to fly up and Nayeon whimpered.

“See, it’s okay Ma.” Nara called out, making Nayeon open her eyes. Indeed, they were in the air and it was all fine. Sana and Tzuyu were staring at Nayeon with amused grins and she hid her face in her hands.

Nara yawned widely and Nayeon chuckled, pushing her hair behind her hair. “I think this princess needs to sleep.” Nara nodded, smiling sheepishly as she leaned back. She was knocked out in the following minutes and they all giggled at the sight. Her head lolled over, falling against Tzuyu’s shoulder and she didn’t have the heart to move her any longer.

“It’s okay, I’m glad she’s asleep.” Tzuyu mumbled, preventing Nayeon from moving Nara. Nayeon nodded, dropping her hand and relaxing in her seat. She hadn’t realised how tired she actually was and she found herself drifting off to sleep as well.

Sana could do nothing about the situation, muttering under her breath to herself as she sat beside Nayeon. Tzuyu was watching something intently and Nara was sleeping beside her cutely. Maybe she was a little bit glad that Nara was sitting in between Nayeon and Tzuyu. Who was she kidding, she was beyond relieved. Crossing her arms, Sana thought about her situation, realising she could either sleep or watch something. Not bothered to do the second, Sana also decided to nod off, closing her eyes.

When Nayeon woke up, she’d panicked, forgetting that she was on the plane. Tzuyu was still awake, watching something on her screen while Sana was slightly dazed out, eyes closed. Nara was still asleep next to her and Nayeon relaxed a little bit. There was five hours still remaining of the flight. She nudged Tzuyu, getting her attention away from her screen.

“Swap.” She mouthed, hoping Tzuyu would understand. Honestly, Nayeon was worried about Sana’s neck condition. Tzuyu nodded, getting up from her seat and switching with Nayeon. She chuckled as she buckled herself next to Sana, placing her head on Tzuyu’s shoulder. Tzuyu had leaned her head against Sana’s, allowing herself to fall asleep after her movie marathon.

The three of them only woke up when the smell of food wafted through their noses, indicating they had a little time left till their landing. Sana blushed as she realised that Tzuyu was sitting next to her, still fast asleep. Carefully, she changed their positions so that her head was now against Sana’s shoulder. She chose her food on her behalf, placing it on the tray in front. She could eat it when she wakes up anyway. Sana knew that Tzuyu wouldn’t be sleeping for long.

Unconsciously, Sana brushed her hand across Tzuyu’s cheek, pushing away stray hairs. She looked around, hoping no one noticed but Nara was looking back at her with an amused expression. She gave a small smile before digging into her food. Surely, Nara wouldn’t understand what just happened, right? Tzuyu stirred next to her and snuggled deeper into the crook of Sana’s neck. If Sana was blushing earlier, she was red now. Nayeon had chuckled next to them, noticing the exchange.

Tzuyu shot up moments later, apologising and looking away. She was embarrassed but it seemed like Sana was blushing. Or was she just seeing things? Tzuyu had no idea so she ignored it, digging into her food instead. Sana had finally calmed herself down and placed her attention on the screen in front of her.

“You know, I think you’re doing a good job.” Nayeon whispered, leaning towards Tzuyu’s ear. Sana spotted this, feeling the anger rise inside her chest. Everything was going well but she realised the seating structure made things difficult.

“W-what?” Tzuyu stuttered.

“Hey Yu, done with food?” Sana broke in, glaring at the two of them. Tzuyu nodded, passing on her tray to Sana. So that’s what Nayeon was talking about.

Ladies and gentlemen, the seatbelt sign has been switched on. Please return to your seats as we prepare for descent.


A/N: This update was rushed, so I'm really sorry if you spot typos!

Yes, I am alive~
I apologise for the lack of updates this week!
I promise I'll be back on track within the following days~