Sentiments

Perturb

Nayeon could remember every word and every memory she had shared with them as if she had them on replay in her head. And she feared that when she starts, she won’t be able to stop. But she will explain as much as she can while she had the time.


The two of them had first met in high school; Nayeon was already a student and the other was an international student that had come for a short period of time. As much as Nayeon wanted to present it as some typical love story, it was anything but.

Hello, I’m an international student. Please take care of me.

The two of them despised each other to the largest extent possible. Why? Because they were both eyeing the same love interest. They’d immediately declared war on each other as soon as Nayeon realised that there was someone who was threatening her possible relationship.

Even if you like them, why would that stop me from liking them? Who do you think you are to tell me to stop chasing after them?

They’d cornered Nayeon one day, glaring at her as they pushed her against their school lockers. All they’d left her with was a simple stay away. Nayeon wasn’t the smartest of the lot but she sure as hell wasn’t going to back off simply because someone told her to.

I’m telling you, and I’m trying to be nice. Stay away. You wouldn’t want to be hurt, would you? That would be a pity for a pretty face like yours.

Things escalated and it had started to become the two of them fighting against each other – exchanging pranks and harmful words. Long gone was their mutual interest for the football team captain. They simply lived on hating each other every day for their entire school year.

You think you’ll win this Nayeon? You’re going to fail at this like you did with the last mathematics exam you sat. You won’t succeed.

Nayeon’s self-esteem had hit a low where she hadn’t expected it to. She no longer responded to the inciting and vile words that poured out of her challenger’s mouth. Many were concerned of her change but there was one who wasn’t buying it.

You could act better than that, you know. Everything is fake about you.

She finally had too much, realising that things wouldn’t have gone to this extent if she’d been mature about it earlier. She regretted turning it into a challenge and she hated that it had affected her so much. Nayeon ended up dropping out of school for a lengthy period of time.

She might have been damaged emotionally but the thing was that somehow in the middle of it all, she’d forgiven them so easily. She didn’t know why, maybe it was because she felt partly guilty for it but she was not upset at them at all.

They were only present in the school for the one year so Nayeon could go back to her normal attendance at the school to graduate. But the thing was, she had no idea that they were still in the school. Sometime in her absence, they had become permanent students.

Their eyes were on Nayeon when she walked into the class that day and she feared that things were going to go back to the way they were. Nayeon wanted to go back to her old habits; she wanted to forget about attending school again but she couldn’t.

I’m sorry for everything that happened between the two of us. I never expected it to blow up in my face when I realised that your absence was because of me. It was painful; it was tearing me apart knowing that you’d changed because of my immaturity. I want to mend things between us, please. Could we perhaps start fresh?

And so Nayeon had given them a chance. Trust was hard to develop between the two; there was a constant fear of betrayal and it potentially being a joke. It was after a year of being friends, that Nayeon realised there was something more between them. She wanted to hide away from them.

I know you’re avoiding me Nayeon, but why? I promise, I never did anything. What did I do to you to have you ignore me?

At that time, she brushed it off as simply being busy. It was harder for Nayeon to be around them with a fear clogging up . How had she started to like the one person who had damaged her so much. She found herself spiralling out of control, with her temper uncontainable, she stayed further away than before.

Nayeon! What is wrong? Why are you acting like this? I told you I wanted to start fresh. Why are things changing so much now?

Not only had Nayeon pushed them away, but she pushed everyone away. She didn’t know what was wrong with her; she felt like she was driving herself insane. Though, she’d been pulled into a classroom one day by them and it was the first time Nayeon had blasted their anger on them.

This is because of me, isn’t it? I’ve ruined you to such a large extent that there’s no going back. It’s all my fault.

It was the first time Nayeon had ever seen tears in their eyes and she was honestly shocked. She never expected them to showcase their emotions. Though, what she didn’t expect most was the fact that Nayeon embraced them, whispering her own form of apologies between the two of them.

You have nothing to apologise for. This is all my fault. But I will be there for you Nayeon. I will help you be the person you once were.

With much convincing from her friends, Nayeon had started to attend therapy sessions for her mental health. And in time, she could already feel the difference in her lifestyle. She continued talking to them and it made Nayeon happy that she became closer to them without forsaking her mind.

You look good. It’s great Nayeon. I’m glad things are turning out the way they are.

Nayeon’s courage grew with every day they spent together. She’d grown apart from her other friends, not meeting up with them. She hadn’t realised it at that time, but she was falling deep into a trap she didn’t know existed. It was after another year that Nayeon had finally confessed, heart racing for a response.

Nayeon, do you really mean it? You’re not playing a joke, right? After everything that happened between us at first? Of course I like you too.

This was the start of a new part of her life for Nayeon. Everyone was happy for her and how she’d turned things around in her life. Somehow in between it all, she decided to get back in touch with a few of her friends. Though, some of them surprised her by refusing to talk to her and she’d vented out at her partner about it.

I’m sure they have their reasons. Don’t worry about them Nayeon. They don’t deserve your friendship if they’ve abandoned you.

Nayeon had agreed, appreciating that they were there for her at a time of need. The two of them graduated from high school, pleased with what they had overcome. Though, the topic of college had remained untouched. Nayeon knew they had to broach the topic sooner or later but she didn’t know when.

You know, we should talk about it already. I know you’ve been wanting to discuss it. I don’t mind what college I go to; as long as I’m with you I’ll be fine.

Nayeon was elated with the words, amazed that she’d found such a supporting partner. So together, the two of them had moved into an apartment close to the college they were both attending. Their past was way behind them now and nothing else mattered but the future.

You know I love you, right Nayeon? You’re the reason I live to see the next day; will you marry me?

She was shocked and Nayeon didn’t want to confess but she was crying when she was proposed to. It was in their second year of college life and she’d immediately said yes, admiring the ring on her finger that made her theirs. She was so glad that they had finally asked.

You don’t know how nervous I was. Nayeon, do you think we should have a wedding in a church? Something small?

With everything that they’d done for Nayeon, she’d agreed. It wasn’t the biggest deal for her that she’d have a tiny wedding compared to the one she’d always dreamed of. It was a small sacrifice in her life for the one she loved and truly cared about.

I do.

It felt surreal that she was now someone’s wife. Especially the fact that she was their wife. A few of her friends were against it, saying it was rushed but Nayeon was strong headed and believed that it was the right decision. She trusted them and she knew they were the right person for her.

Thank you for staying by my side.

It was all good between the two of them. They were happy as they worked, coming home and spending time together when they came home. It was just the two of them and it was great! She loved every moment she shared with them and treasured them.

Let’s adopt. Don’t you think that’s a good idea? We should add a little one to our family.

Nayeon had hanging open when they suggested adopting. It was something she’d wanted for at least a year before they’d suggested it. Sure, they could do it naturally but they’d suggested adoption and Nayeon had no reason to deny their wishes or suggestions.

I’m sorry.

When Nayeon had been waiting for them to come home for dinner, only to see them walking in drunk, she was mad. They had plans to go out but they didn’t come home in time and Nayeon was left waiting for them instead. But what disappointed her was that they were drunk. All was forgiven the next day when they apologised.

Huh?

The drunken behaviour continued and Nayeon could barely keep shut. They were heading down a path of destruction and she could only watch on. She asked about it but they’d denied being addicted, saying it was just some fun.

Sorry.

Nayeon was shattered when she’d felt the palm across her cheek. It was the one thing she had never expected from them. Drunk or not, they’d never laid a harmful hand on her. All Nayeon was trying to was help yet she was treated poorly instead.

Fine. If it’s what you want.

She’d hesitantly asked for a divorce but was surprised when they’d complied instantly. They never denied it or fought for it. For the first time, Nayeon questioned what they really felt for her. Was she really loved in the first place or was it all a lie? They hadn’t even tried to make her stay.

She knew they regretted their actions but they put in no effort to get them to stay – to continue living the life they had built up for so long. It was then when Nayeon had thought about everything that happened from the moment they met. She started seeing that her friends were probably right.

Should Nayeon have trusted them in the first place?
 


A/N: I rushed the update so I'm sorry if there are typos~
I had some problems with the chapter for some reason, so I reuploaded it!
I'm sorry about that~

P.S: If you're confused, it's a good thing :P
Them refers to Nayeon and one other person.
I don't want to reveal it yet so stay tuned ;)

Hope you enjoy the update~