F I V E

Make You Feel My Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Appa, look at the giraffes!”

The first time Ryeowook hears Jeno’s voice, he finds himself captivated by how feathery Jeno’s voice is. Jeno’s tone is calm, harmonious and gentle yet it holds so much warmth and childlike innocence. There’s always a gentle smile on his face but when he’s excited, he smiles with all pearly white teeth and his eyes disappears into cute crescents. It’s a beautiful sight every time Jeno gets excited and Ryeowook finds that he doesn’t want to miss any of it.

The three kids watch in awe at the animals, leaning their bodies against the railings as they point and chatter excitedly amongst themselves, having built a close friendship over gushing about how cute the animals are. Henry easily gets along with Jeno and Amber and a pang of guilt hits Ryeowook every time he notices Henry and Amber laughing together as he thinks that Henry will never get another sibling for the rest of his life. It hurts even more when Ryeowook realizes that Henry seems to especially like Amber, going the extra mile to make sure that she doesn’t wonder off too far and helping her whenever she needs help. Brotherly instinct, Ryeowook labels it as he thinks of how Henry’s suddenly so different when he’s around Amber. Ryeowook touches his stomach softly, eyes peering at Amber helplessly as he wonders if there’ll ever be a miracle that Henry will finally get a sibling.

If Ryeowook wasn’t fully convinced that Henry has been switched at birth at first, he’s fully convinced now as he watches Henry and Amber excitedly ramble on and on about the giraffes, bouncing on their feet as they do so. The similarities between Henry and Amber are uncanny as well. Jeno stays silent next to them, shining eyes fixed on the animals as he watches them with full of amusement on his face. He joins the conversation with the others once in awhile but he prefers to quietly watch and admire the beauty of the giraffes.

“He likes the giraffes the most,” Donghae informs Ryeowook, chuckling affectionately. “I’m not really sure why though.”

Ryeowook smiles but he doesn’t tell Donghae that he likes giraffes just as much as well. There’s just something about how they’re such big and tall animals and yet, they’re so elegant and harmless. Ryeowook wonders if Jeno likes them for the same reasons as Ryeowook.

“Appa,” Henry turns around, tugging on Kyuhyun’s shirt, “Can we go and look at the lions now?”

Kyuhyun nods and Henry’s already pulling onto both Amber’s and Jeno’s hands, already getting bored of the giraffes. Ryeowook chuckles, knowing that Henry prefers the more intimidating animals compared to the calm, peaceful and cute-looking ones. Unlike Jeno, Henry loves the lions, the tigers and even crocodiles. Amber’s bouncing on her feet but Jeno doesn’t budge.

“Appa, I want to stay here.” Jeno quietly tells Hyukjae, looking up at him pleadingly, “Please, I’m scared of the lions.”

“They won’t hurt you!” Henry jumps as he wraps his tiny hands around Jeno’s arms, “They’re really friendly!”

Ryeowook chuckles, of course Henry would label Lions as friendly animals. Noticing Jeno’s reluctance, Ryeowook steps in.

“Why don’t you go ahead first?” Ryeowook suggests, “Kyuhyun and I will stay here with him until he’s ready to leave.”

Donghae exchanges a look with Ryeowook, “Are-are you sure?”

Ryeowook gives him a swift nod, smiling as he whispers, “It’ll give us both a chance to get to know them better.”

When Donghae nods, Henry jumps on his feet while Ryeowook reminds him sternly, “Remember to listen to Uncle Hae and Uncle Hyuk and take care of Amber, Henry-ya.”

“Okay!! Let’s go, Amber!” And Henry’s already pulling Amber towards the Lion’s enclosure.

Donghae goes after them while Hyukjae looks at his son, unsure if he should join the others or stay with Jeno.

“Hey baby, do you mind if I join Appa and the rest?” Hyukjae asks, “Will you be okay with Uncle Kyu and Uncle Wook?”

Jeno bites his lips, looking slightly conflicted. He looks at both Ryeowook and Kyuhyun who are both giving him warm smile before he reluctantly nods.

“Okay,” Hyukjae nods and then looks at both Ryeowook and Kyuhyun apologetically, “He doesn’t usually do well with strangers so if he starts crying or throwing a tantrum, you can just give a call and I’ll make a run back here.”

The couple nods in agreement while Hyukjae ruffles Jeno’s hair and then turns around and reluctantly leaves. Jeno turns around and continues admiring the giraffes, looking unaffected that he’s left with Kyuhyun and Ryeowook. Ryeowook wonders if it’s the effect of his favourite animals or if Jeno truly feels comfortable that he’s not crying or throwing tantrums now that he’s left alone with his real family. But then again, Ryeowook’s unable to picture Jeno throwing a tantrum. Compared to Henry who is short-tempered – Destroying anything he’s able to do so with his little hands – Ryeowook wonders how Jeno is like when he’s angry or upset. Does he quietly keeps it all in and then explodes when he’s had enough just like Ryeowook himself or does he excuse himself to calm himself down before deciding to talk it out just like Kyuhyun.

Ryeowook glances at Kyuhyun at the thought of his husband who is leaning against the railing, watching the animals quietly as well. He hasn’t seen Kyuhyun trying to interact much with Jeno. But Ryeowook knows that it’s not because Kyuhyun doesn’t feel anything towards his biological son. In fact, Ryeowook knows that it’s the opposite. Kyuhyun tries hard to conceal his feelings but Ryeowook’s been with Kyuhyun long enough to know his husband’s true feelings. Kyuhyun likes Jeno, it’s obvious in his eyes and whenever he looks at Jeno, there’s a small smile that plays on his lips. Ryeowook doesn’t think that Kyuhyun realizes this but it’s as if every time Kyuhyun looks at Jeno, there’s this proud look glimmering in his eyes.  Kyuhyun likes Jeno a lot but he doesn’t do well with strangers and showing his feelings to just anyone. Now that it’s just the three of them, Ryeowook wonders if Kyuhyun will feel more comfortable and finally try to talk to Jeno.

“Oh, it’s their feeding time.” Kyuhyun suddenly exclaims, pointing at a crowd of people gathering and handing some zookeepers money. 

Ryeowook tilts his head at Jeno, “Do you know want to try feeding the giraffes, Jeno?”

Jeno shifts from one foot to another, looking conflicted. He bites his lips as he thinks it through while Ryeowook lowers himself and looks him in the eye. Jeno takes a couple of minutes pondering it over before he admits softly, “I want to…. But… I’m scared.”

“I’ll do it with you, if you want.” Ryeowook softly encourages him, “But you don’t have to do it if you don’t want to.”

Jeno looks down at his feet, looking unsure. Ryeowook then slowly reaches out and softly takes his little hands in his, his heart doing a mini flip as he feels Jeno slipping his little fingers between Ryeowook’s long ones. Jeno’s fingers fit against his perfectly and Ryeowook feels a burst of emotions in his heart. He wants to pull this little boy into a tight hug. He wants to apologize to him, Appa is sorry that this happened to you, Appa is sorry that you grew up without me.

Jeno looks up and gives a small nod, hands in Ryeowook’s. Ryeowook glances at Kyuhyun who is looking at the both with wide eyes. Ryeowook clears his throat and Kyuhyun slightly jumps.

“Uh… Well… Right. L

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter