T H R E E

Make You Feel My Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It’s outrageous.

Donghae’s unable to think of any other words to describe this whole messed up situation. Recommending swapping children? The idea itself is completely absurd and heartless! The words are hanging right at the tip of his tongue, Donghae’s ready to lash out right there and then but a hand grips onto his knees. One look at his husband shaking his head at him with pleading eyes and the words of discontent dies from the tip of his tongue.

While the director explains the procedure of swapping the children, the door to the meeting room opens and in comes a gentleman dressed smartly in an expensive-looking grey suit. He swiftly bows and apologizes for being late and introduces himself as Kyuhyun, Ryeowook’s husband. He takes a seat next to Ryeowook and the director summarizes everything that’s been told to him.

“Offering a compensation like this,” Kyuhyun begins, confidence laced in the tone of his voice, “does not justify for the hospital’s mistake.”

The director stills, “We are aware-”

“Just to inform you, Mr. Hwan, that I’ve hired a lawyer for this case.” Kyuhyun eyes the director sharply, “And I hope you are aware that I am Cho Kyuhyun, the heir of Cho Label, one of your hospital’s partnership.”

The director pales and immediately gets onto his feet and bows deeply, apologizing repeatedly for the mistake. But Kyuhyun does not budge as he stares at the man boringly. Instead, he straightens his suit jacket and exhales an irritated sigh.

“Leave.” Kyuhyun instructs the director, colder. “We will settle this on your own.”

“Mr. Cho, once again, I am really sorry about the mix-up. Please, we would like to help with anyth-”

The director’s words are cut right off with Kyuhyun’s intense glare as Kyuhyun aggravatedly tells him, “Your hospital has done enough damage, Mr. Hwan. I suggest you to leave right this instance.”

The director, Mr. Hwan, apologizes again and bows to Kyuhyun. He wipes the sweat dripping off his bald head with the back of his hands and then leaves the room. Donghae exchanges glances with Hyukjae, surprised by the sudden turn of events ever since Cho Kyuhyun had stepped into the room. Who is this guy?

“I apologize for that,” Kyuhyun speaks, glancing at both Hyukjae and Donghae.

“That’s… Uh… Alright.” Hyukjae clears his throat and introduces himself and Donghae.

Kyuhyun nods his head but does not bother to shake their hands, “Pleasure. Now, as I’ve said, I’ve hired a lawyer for this case and will be suing the hospital."

There’s complete silence in the air before Donghae clears his throat, “But don’t you think that… That’s a little purposeless. I mean… You heard, Mr. Hwang. It was just an accident.”

Kyuhyun looks at Donghae as if he had lost his mind. Donghae however does not cower in fear like Mr. Hwang. He’s met these types of businessman while working, he knows how arrogant and intimidating they can be but at the end of the day, they’re all just the same, they're all humans too and that fact gives Donghae a reason not to fear Kyuhyun.

“An accident that has caused damage in our respective lives,” Kyuhyun corrects Donghae, gritting his teeth.

“Kyu, enough.” His husband whispers softly and calmly from next to him, hands tugging on his elbows.

 Donghae’s anger momentarily subsides as a charge of emotions hits him right in his heart. Calm, quiet and soft… Ryeowook is everything Jeno is. Donghae sees the resemblance in Ryeowook’s calm and poised demure, hears the resemblance in Ryeowook’s soothing voice and his heart aches as he realizes once again that Jeno isn’t his son and the fact that Jeno will grow up into someone else- Someone who isn’t Donghae or Hyukjae, someone who isn’t his parents who had worked hard to raise him.

“We should talk about our children,” Ryeowook insists and then exchanges a look with both Donghae and Hyukjae, “About what we are going to do.”

Kyuhyun inhales deeply and nods, “You’re right.”

Hyukjae and Donghae nods in agreement as well. Hyukjae then pulls out his wallet and hands a picture to Ryeowook and Donghae feels a bitter feeling creeping into his chest as his husband informs them, “We-We thought that… You might like to… Well… Ah… Here’s a picture of Jeno. He’s… He’s doing well now.”

“Jeno?” Ryeowook repeats, voice full of emotions as he takes the picture with shaky hands from Hyukjae. He looks at the picture and shares it with Kyuhyun.

Donghae sees it, the rush of emotions in both their eyes. Kyuhyun’s cold hard eyes are replaced and for once ever since he’s stepped into the meeting room, Donghae can finally spot the fatherly warmth in the latter. His lips lift into a small smile while Ryeowook’s eyes tears as he runs his fingers over the picture of Jeno who is smiling sweetly with flour and whip cream smeared on his face. 

“We were trying to bake a cake and he looked so cute with flour on his face that we had to snap a picture.” Hyukjae tells them lovingly.

“He looks happy,” Ryeowook murmured with a smile, and then unexpectedly bows to both Donghae and Hyukjae, “Thank you f-for taking care of him”

Donghae feels the sincerity in Ryeowook’s tone and for once ever since the start of this whole mess, Donghae finds his heart at ease and he finds that he’s able to find comfort in Ryeowook’s genuine smile. Even if Jeno is not his son, Donghae is glad that he’s able to give Jeno the happiness he deserves and to have his real parent to acknowledge that brings a heart-warming feeling to Donghae.

***

Ryeowook wasn’t planning on this, to feel completely swayed in his opinions. Ryeowook

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter