Novacaine

Toothless

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

The quarreling coming from suite 227A is nothing short of concerning, and the hotel staff debate whether or not they should send security when another bloodcurdling scream echoes down the hallway.

"Stop being so dramatic!" Taehyung sits across from Jungkook, who is currently being a colossal baby (according to Taehyung) and is only behaving this way because the cut is "supposed to heal on its own".

"Ouch!!" Jungkook flinches away from Taehyung's hand again when the peroxide hisses against the cut on his face. "I'm not being dramatic, it ing hurts. You're not even being as gentle as I am!" Jungkook caps the antibiotic ointment in his hands, biting his lip when another cotton ball comes back blotted with dry blood.

"I'm not gonna be gentle," Taehyung frowns, flinching when Jungkook begins applying ointment to a cut on the side of his mouth. He's significantly more gentle than Taehyung is being, but of course he won't admit that. "It serves you right. You should've never gotten involved, Kookie."

"Are you ser--ouch--serious? What would have happened if I didn't interfere?"

"I would've handled it myself because it was my problem. That was my fight, Jungkook. I've had enough of you getting into it because of me..." Jungkook softens at his sentiment. Two bruised up idiots was certainly better than one bruised up idiot he's madly in love with, in his perspective. So he just smiles at Taehyung's independence, as his touches on his face get lighter. "I'm not a princess, and it's not your job to save me all the time. Clearly every time you do you end up like this." Jungkook chuckles and his slightly swollen left eye crinkles as he laughs. Taehyung feels horrible that this is all because of him, but the boy can still manage to sit here and laugh with him.

"That's love," Jungkook calmly gazes at Taehyung as he lays a bandage over his cuts, relishing the slight pink that settles in his cheeks. "Stupid, dumb love. Throwing myself into situations to protect you, even though I know you're perfectly able." Taehyung sits on his hands, biting down on his lip to keep from smiling. "But I hear you. I'll back off."

"It's for your own good, I promise." Taehyung crawls closer to Jungkook on the wood floor, sitting up on his knees and wrapping his arms around Jungkook's neck. He presses a soft kiss to Jungkook's swollen eye, resting his chin on Jungkook's shoulder. "That doesn't mean I'm not thankful. I owe you everything, Jungkook. It feels amazing...to be loved like this. Thank you for everything you've ever done for me."

Jungkook feels his heart swelling and he swallows dry air, trying to resist enveloping Taehyung in his strong arms. Taehyung goes back to facing him, awfully close and smelling like fruits. "I'll make everything up to you one day, I promise."

Then marry me one day.

Be with me, until the stars go out for us both.

Share your most painful and most blissful moments with me.

Show me your most vulnerable side, peel every layer down until all I see is you.

, for me to embrace and treasure forever.

That would make up everything. That is...everything.

When he doesn't reply, Taehyung realizes Jungkook is in a daze. He bops him on the nose lightly, smiling down at him. "What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing," Jungkook lies, rolling his eyes. "how many ways I can dismember the next loony ert you date."

Jungkook's next three smart- comments earn him three hard flicks to the forehead, drowned out by Taehyung's laughter.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

After dinner, Taehyung moans over his empty plate clearly satisfied by another amazing meal prepared by Jungkook. "No one deserves to eat food like this Jungkook. It's like ambrosia. And here you are, preparing it for free."

"You said you'd owe me back, remember?" Taehyung glares at him and he laughs obnoxiously over his shoulder as he carries plates to the sink. "I expect multiple kisses and any other creative things you come up with. Nothing in life is free." Jungkook enjoys being a just to get a rise out of Taehyung and it shows, because he immediately gets up from the table and snatches the dishes from Jungkook.

"Let me do it. Jeez." 

"Such a helper." Jungkook laughs his way to the couch while Taehyung makes quick work of the dishes. By the time he's done, he turns to see a shirtless Jungkook lounging on the couch, spreading his blanket and removing his glasses. Taehyung's breath hitches in his throat--clearly he wasn't ready to meet the image he couldn't tear his eyes away from. He speedwalks to the bedroom in several robotic strides and closes the door, much to Jungkook's confusion. "Good night to you too?"

Taehyung panics as his back rests against the door.

"Why are you acting like this? You've seen him before..."

It's nothing. He's my friend. That was..nothing.

He's still sleeping on the couch, which means he still thinks I'm uncomfortable around him.

Maybe it's better this way?  Yes, because I'm acting weird around him. 

So there's no reason for me too--

"Tae? Are you alright? You're pretty quiet...if it was something I said, I'm sorr--"

The door swings open and Taehyung just stares. His face is the color of rose petals, and Jungkook can only stare back in confusion. Taehyung looks like he's struggling to get something out, but the conflicting voices in his head won't allow him to. So he opts to put his foot in his mouth instead.

"Why are you sleeping out here?"

"Well because we...had a situation. I didn't want you to feel uncomfort--"

"But it's your bed, too." Taehyung is stern in his replies, his blush unwavering. His gentle outbursts take Jungkook by surprise, but greet him with a light smile.

"I know that. I just wanted us both to--"

"This is your bed too, so you should sleep in it. With me." Taehyung didn't mean to say that last bit, but he can't chew up the words once they come flying out. He curses himself for being such an idiot, but Jungkook just nods with that ethereal smile of his. All lip and no teeth, just lax like Taehyung is used to. Jungkook makes quick work to put his shirt back on, taking every precaution to make sure Taehyung doesn't feel like he's going to get jumped in his sleep. He carefully slides past Taehyung and indulges in the large double bed, emitting a low sigh.

"Thanks Tae. Don't stay up too late." With that, Jungkook rolls over and is asleep in a matter of minutes.

He must have been really tired...

Taehyung sighs, cursing himself for the word vomit that occurred not too long ago. He doesn't know why he can't seem to interact with his own best friend sometimes. It's frustrating and he wants to get it together, but sometimes it's hard and he has no idea why. He sits on the bed and lays his head on his pillow, coming face-to-face with a sleeping Jungkook. He looks precious and tranquil, like he's protected from all the evils of Pandora's Box and more. He moves the stray hairs covering Jungkook's forehead, caught in a trance. Sleep is calling Taehyung but his eyes can only drink up the image of this young man, in all his kindness and glory. Even with a swollen eyes he still looks flawless, gracing Taehyung's lips with a smile.

"You're the best thing that ever happened to me, Kookie."

Taehyung quickly falls asleep after, and one eye pops open to blink back at Taehyung's sleeping face. "And that," Jungkook whispers, running a thumb over Taehyung's plush lips. "is how I fell for you. Again..."

And again, and again.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Taehyung awakens to the sound of heartbeat. The steady rhythm is loud, yet comforting. It sends warmth that warps through Taehyung's body in a matter of seconds, from his head to his toes. He opens his eyes to blurry vision ripened with sleep, and once he rubs at his eyelids everything is much clearer. It's way too warm and cozy to get out of bed. Yes, Taehyung thinks he'll stay like this for the rest of the day.

He holds the thought when the heartbeat he heard drumming in his ears becomes more insistent, quickening in pace and getting louder. When Taehyung finally assessing his situation and eliminates the fifty-percent of him that is still asleep, he knows this heartbeat isn't his.

"U-Um..Taehyung, do you want me to turn on the heat?"

"What...?" Taehyung looks up from his trance with a lazy smile on his lips, realizing Jungkook is close.

Much too close.

Between his legs, his hand and head resting on Jungkook's shoulder close.

In fact, Taehyung learns that he's the close one. During the night he must've somehow wrapped his legs around Jungkook with a vice-like grip, secured his hips against Jungkook's side and rested a delicate hand right on top of Jungkook's chest to ease his fluttering heartbeat. He registers their position and falls out of the bed immediately, his face on fire.

"Why didn't you--you could've--"

"I didn't wanna wake you, you were so tired. You had a long night yesterday. " Jungkook rises in the bed and makes a horrible attempt to sort his bedhead. He blinks back at Taehyung innocently, not the least bit bothered by being cuddled to death in his sleep. "I couldn't sleep with you stuck to me like that, so I finished making our list."

"List? Our list? A list of what?"

"Of all the things I want to do with you today," Jungkook reaches on the end table for his notebook, smiling in excitement. "but it's a surprise. I really hope you love it. If not, I'll be dead by 10:17 tonight."

Taehyung launches a balled-up sock at him, throwing an "idiot" his way when Jungkook simply laughs at his own dark humor.

"So that's what you were writing the other night? Not dinner ideas?"

"Nope. You're really gullible." Jungkook's charming smile makes it hard for Taehyung to protest. Instead he fights back a smile, sinking in the addictive aura of the boy hanging upside-down from the bed and winking at him. "What are we doing first then? What should I wear?"

"What a dumb question," Jungkook rolls his eyes and Taehyung is prepared to yell back (as per usual) until Jungkook continues with "you look amazing in whatever you wear." Taehyung feels joy bubbling his stomach, hiding his face when he gets up to find some clean clothes. "There's a festival in the town across from the Spring. Apparently it's a Yang tradition that's been going on for years. There's food, games and all sorts of fun stuff to do."

Taehyung groans as he pulls a cream-colored sweater over his head. "Kookie, you know how I get about--"

"I know. You don't like crowds," Jungkook rises from his upside-down position, staring holes in the back of Tae's head. "but it'll be fun! There's a surprise at the end of the night. It's a small town, so there won't be a huge amount of people."

Taehyung bites his lip, wrestling with the bangs that have curled around themselves in the mirror. He catches a glimpse of the hopeful look in Jungkook's eyes, nodding. "I can't say no to that face. Take me wherever you want." Taehyung turns around with shining eyes, and a sweet smile dives into Jungkook's cheeks. "Just one condition."

Taehyung plops on the bed, pushing hair from Jungkook's face to join the nest on his head. "What's that?"

"Just close your eyes."

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

The air around him is cold and that's all Taehyung knows while he's being led with Jungkook's hands pressed over his eyes. He wobbles with his feet crunching in the snow, freezing briefly. "Kook, if you don't let me open my eyes I'll bust my ."

He feels Jungkook's hands slide down to his waist, locking securely around his perimeter. His lips tickle Taehyung's ear as he leads him to god-knows-where, because he promised he'd keep his eyes closed and they're shut tightly. Jungkook's hands tense suddenly and he blows out a breath of relief. "You can open now."

It's a bit blurry when the air first hits his eyes, but Taehyung can make out a small table covered with a white tablecloth. There are two cute chairs, all sitting atop a small ledge that overlooks the snowy caps of the Yang mountainside. The sunlight filling the scene wraps around Taehyung, and warms him comfortably.

Or it could be the joy of receiving a gift such as Jungkook. Taehyung isn't sure which.

"W-Wow..Jung...how did you...?"

"I went exploring one night and I found this amazing view. It wasn't beautiful, though. It was way more than that...I wanted to share it with someone I love."

Taehyung's breath hitches. He feels like dirt because he can't say it back--despite his heart responding almost immediately to the words--he wants to be sure. After everything they've been through, Jungkook deserve someone who's sure. One-hundred and fifty thousand percent sure that they want to give themselves over to him and only him. Taehyung decides he won't be the one to use his best friend in his post-ty-breakup state. Rather, he will give him all of him today, just for today because he asked for it.

Taehyung wraps him into a hug, his eyes wide and shining. "You didn't have to do this. I don't deserve any of this Jungkook. After everything I--"

"Stop," Jungkook rubs his thumb across Taehyung's lips, his eye contact intense and promising. "I forgave you, for everything. All the bitterness we had between us doesn't matter anymore. Just let me have you for this one day; let me deserve you. I don't wanna think about anything else but you." Jungkook nods in assurance and Taehyung closes his eyes, pressing his forehead against Jungkook's. 

If Wonho never happened, we would've been together already...

Because I wouldn't have been able to control myself.

I would have snatched you away from Jeni a long time ago, if I wasn't such a coward.

I would've loved the hell out of you. If I wasn't so vulnerable right now, I'd...

Tae's stomach rumbles loudly and stifles his laughter in Jungkook's coat. "Can we finally eat? Gosh, you talk so much..." Taehyung shoves the teasing boy and takes his seat at the table. Jungkook is pink with laughter, shedding his coat when the cold gets bearable. 

"It's such a gorgeous brunch on a gorgeous day and you're being a already." Tae rolls his eyes, sipping on apple juice that has found its way to the table when the hotel staff present him with an assortment of drinks.  "A gorgeous ." Jungkook winks, grinning slightly when Taehyung doesn't respond. "Ouch. You don't think I'm gorgeous?"

"Of course I do. I was in love with you...obviously that means I think you're hot." Taehyung avoids the ball of sunshine sitting next to him, his smile getting bigger and bigger. "Aigoo. You never compliment me with a smile on your face."

"Because your ego will get huge!"

"Just like my heart." Jungkook playfully places a hand on his chest while he continues smiling at Taehyung as he suddenly grows silent.

"You're right," Taehyung says after a while, resting his chin in his palm. "If you had any idea how incredible I think you are, your heart might explode. We can't have that, can we?"

Jungkook is taken aback when he's blessed with Taehyung's smiling eyes. Now he's the speechless one, and he wouldn't have stopped staring at Taehyung had it not been for the waiter arriving with a giant brunch. Taehyung claps in excitement, marvelling the selection of different fruits, desserts, and savory little pieces of heaven. He piles his plate up with however much he can handle, stopping when Jungkook is just there, smiling to himself instead of eating. "Are you okay...?"

He snaps out of it, picking up his fork. "I'm fine. I'm...great."

I'm more than fine. I'm elated.

Just to be near you like this, I'm the happiest guy alive.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Jungkook is leading a blind Taehyung to the next destination while he reads down his list of things to do.

Have brunch with Taehyung

Spend thirty minutes telling Taehyung he's beautiful

Smell Taehyung (?)

Hold Hands with Taehyung

Take Taehyung to the Blue Forest

Dance with Taehyung

Buy Lamb Skewers for Taehyung

Have a Snowball Fight with Taehyung

Make Snow Angels with Taehyung

Watch the Stars with Taehyung

Kiss Taehyung (????)

Give flowers to Taehyung

Jungkook frowns at some of the things he wrote down, reminding himself to scribble some sloppy Hangul letters over the weird stuff later on. Taehyung almost trips next to him, his eyes faithfully shut. Jungkook steadies his body with his hands again, smiling to himself. "I've got you, don't worry."

"I'm gonna die before we get there, my god.."

"You're so dramatic...open your eyes." Jungkook shoves his hands in his pockets, waiting for Taehyung's reaction. Once he hears him gasp he grins triumphantly, watching the love of his life run to the small stream in front of them. "It's just like the fairies, Kook. It's just like the secret place!" Jungkook rarely sees Taehyung this excited, except for when there's a buffet in front of him, or when someone is blasting Jazz music at unreasonable times of the day.

The stream flows down to a large body of water, all full of blue "fairies" as Taehyung loves to call them. The area is shaded by endless trees and the stream lights up Taehyung's features as he lays his hands on the pebbles at the bottom. The crickets and birds chirping are music to his ears. If it were up to him he would stay here all day with Jungkook, inhaling the clean air and humming to himself. He's obsessed; Jungkook didn't expect this reaction at all, but he can't say his isn't overjoyed. He takes a seat next to Taehyung, leaning back on his hands. 

"You know what I thought about the moment I opened my eyes?" Taehyung looks forward at the water, hugging his knees to his chest. "I thought about when you confessed to me. I was such a loser, wasn't I?"

Jungkook chuckles to himself before sighing. "We were kids. I didn't even know what a bofriend was...but I wanted you to be mine. I thought we'd just figure it out as we go. Once you gave me your dinosaur fruit snacks it was instant marriage." Taehyung laughs with him, surprised he can make light of something so traumatic. "I'm a little glad I tripped. It's kinda funny, now that I think about it."

"That wasn't funny! You ruined my favorite shirt when you bled all over it." Jungkook pouts, poking Taehyung in the head.

"I didn't ask you to carry me home!"

"I was a kid, naturally that was the most logical thing..."

"Fine, I'll buy you another one. In the exact same size so it only fits on your arm." Jungkook nudges him with his elbow and Taehyung lays his head on his shoulder. Jungkook swallows hard, staring hard at the cringe-worthy things on his list. One in particular that he's itching to do right now.

Hold Hands with Taehyung

He grows more and more nervous. They've kissed before; hell, Taehyung was on the verge of getting in his pants the other night. This shouldn't be this hard.

Do it, Jungkook. Do the thing...

Jungkook slowly moves his hand over the cool green grass, making his way to tangle with Taehyung's long fingers. The moment Jungkook's fingers touch Taehyung's, he locks them together and they fit so well, so perfectly. Jungkook sighs in adoration as Taehyung admires their surroundings for a bit longer, his eyelashes fluttering with every breath Jungkook takes.

Hold Hands with Taehyung

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Jungkook checks his watch and it reads 11:55 AM. He feels relief when he realizes he has plenty of time, and Taehyung's eyes are closed as they should be as they walk to the next destination. He has a hopeful smile on his lips, as if he has no idea how he's going to be amazed next. Jungkook stops him briefly, taking the opportunity to lean close to him and inhale his scent. Jungkook loves the smell of Taehyung's Vanilla-Ginger shampoo, and sleeping in the bed with him last night left traces of it all over the pillows. Of course, he doesn't need Taehyung thinking he's weird as all for smelling him, so he'd rather keep Taehyung's eyes closed. 

They walk for about ten more minutes before Taehyung starts to get lazy. He hears music in the distance, particularly belonging to a series of Bamboo flutes and Erhus. The music becomes louder as they get closer, mingled with children's laughter and singing voices. They descend down the hill to the happy town of Cheon-Yang, which is a hop and a skip from the Yang resort. Jungkook instructs Tae to open his eyes again, and Taehyung's eyes fill with life.

The locals are more than welcoming to outsiders, and a few tourists are browsing different market vendors. Jungkook realizes he was completely wrong about the small crowd thing but Taehyung doesn't seem to care. He's so excited to see all the smiling faces, market food and carnival games. He clutches Jungkook's hand firmly as he sorts through the crowd, his eyes exploring everything. He stops at a particular game when a giant stuffed Totoro catches his eye. It's a strength test, with all the prizes resembling some sort of cute cartoon character. Jungkook recognizes this look and sighs; they're going to play this game all damn day until Taehyung wins that Totoro. 

"You have to score at 1200 for that Totoro, Tae...you don't even go to the gym." Taehyung scoffs at him, rolling up the sleeves of his sweater.

"Watch and learn, then." Taehyung politely bows to the game instructor, handing him five-thousand won for a go. Taehyung rubs his hands together, winds his hand back and strikes the punching bag with all his might, scoring a clean 1215. He pumps his fist triumphantly, grabbing at his Totoro and snuggling against it. It's almost too adorable for Jungkook to choke down. Taehyung looks him up and down, sticking out his tongue. "See."

"I can win that Pikachu." Jungkook brags, crossing his arms.

"As if," Taehyung his eyebrow in disbelief. "It's 2500. You'll take your arm off."

"Get ready to catch it then." Taehyung resists the impending eye-roll as he watches Jungkook step up to the plate. He pays his money and punches the punching bag. Taehyung laughs, proving his point. "See, I knew you couldn't--"

"2505! Congratulations, you beat the high score!"

Taehyung clears his throat awkwardly; this isn't the saltiest he's ever been but he sure feels dumb. Jungkook marches back with a giant Pikachu, smiling modestly. He extends it towards Taehyung, who looks at him dumbfounded.

"It's for you." 

"Kook...I have one already. Quit being such an angel."

Taehyung shyly moves his brown curls behind his ear when Jungkook won't stop looking at him, smiling at him with so much love in his eyes. He takes the Pikachu just to appease Jungkook, but he fully plans on returning it later. 

He's way too sweet..

They venture further into the festival and Taehyung moans when he smells delicious food. It's way past noon and he's hungry again, Jungkook can feel it. They stop at a skewer booth and Jungkook orders two skewers with Taehyung at his hip. He fishes out his wallet and realizes he only has his debit card and a few thousand won, not nearly enough for both skewers. Kook awkwardly clears his throat, avoiding Taehyung's questioning eyes.

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" Taehyung squeezes his hand with concern. "Everything is fine, I was just thinking about something. I think I dropped my keychain at the strength game, could you go and check for me?"

Taehyung nods without question with a worried look on his face. "Of course! I'll be right back." Taehyung releases his hand and all of a sudden it's freezing cold, and he wants that touch back. The old woman grilling the meat smiles kindly at him as she turns over a few skewers. "You didn't lose anything, did you?"

Jungkook laughs with guilt written all over his face. "Ah ahjumma...you're too wise for me. How did you know?"

"You look like you're in love. You also look like you're trying to impress the one you love, but a man with no money sticks out like a sore thumb."

She laughs to herself with a glint of sincerity in her eyes. "They're on the house. Go enjoy the festival, and your date." Jungkook's heart swells and he throws ninety-degree bows in every direction. "T-Thank you ahjumma, I really appreciate it." He doesn't know what else to say but to smile and bow as he take the skewers to Taehyung. He's on his knees checking under the booth, dirtying his hands and his pants. Jungkook really feels like an , coaxing him off of the floor.

"Did you find it? I looked everywhere.." Tae looks sad, and Jungkook wants to kiss him more than anything. He lies again, promising himself this is the last little white one. "I found it in my pocket, my bad."

Taehyung smiles dumbly, slapping his arm softly. "You're such a klutz." He takes the skewer and walks through the festival with Jungkook, admiring art from the locals. Taehyung buys him a small sapphire gem and ties it around his neck, well aware blue is his favorite color. "Do you like it? I can buy another one if you want.."

"It's perfect," Jungkook runs his thumb across the back of Taehyung's soft hand. "I love it. I'll take good care of it, I promise."

While they're exploring all the wonders of the little town, Jungkook glances at Taehyung as he absent-mindedly chews on his skewer.

"Taehyung, can I ask you a question?"

"Sure. Ask me anything Kookie." He illuminates with curiosity, blinking back at him.

"Did you know that you're beautiful?"

"I-I..." Taehyung is confused; he wasn't expecting the question at all and he doesn't know how to answer something like this. His heart starts to stretch and the feeling is so familiar. It tickles almost, like someone is holding it with the most gentle touch. "I don't really...I mean I guess?"

"You guess? How do you guess? Do you not see it?"

"It's not that I don't see it, I just never really thought about it. It's just me, you know?" 

"Just you? I'm losing brain cells just listening to you talk, my god."

Taehyung is so lost. Jungkook stops walking and takes him by the shoulders, beating it into him.

"You don't see how special you are, and you gave your beauty to someone who didn't deserve it," Jungkook is speaking in that soft voice he always uses when he's being assertive. "Everything about you is breath-taking. Your personality--the real you--the way you care for your mom and your friends. Even Yoona...she tells me all about you when I go to work everyday. I'd be lying if I said I didn't fall deeper in love with you every time she tells me stories about you. You're sensitive and loving, caring and sweet, honest and humble. I just wish you could see what I see, you know?"

Jungkook waits for a response but he doesn't get one. Just the faded sounds of fanfare surrounding them. He inspects Taehyung's face, panicking when he sees a single tear making its way down Taehyung's face. "Wait--I'm sorry--"

"They're tears of joy," Taehyung turns to Jungkook and frames his face as more tears come down. Jungkook isn't used to being happy when Taehyung is crying. He's always hated it, ever since they were kids. He would make any funny face or make as many fart noises as he needed to make the crying stop. Sure enough Taehyung would end up giggling sooner or later, right back to his bubbly mood. 

This time, Jungkook didn't want the crying to stop.

"When you say things like that how am I supposed to keep it together? It makes me feel so special. It makes me feel...like no one's ever made me feel before."

Jungkook is lost in his red eyes full of tears, and the lippy smile he's come to treasure. "Wonho should have never happened. It should've been you, Kook. The whole time it should've been you."

"It can still be me," Jungkook  his hands, kissing his forehead. He didn't expect their date to take such an intimate turn, but with the sun about to set his feelings seem to grow stronger and stronger as the time passes by. "I mean if you want it to--I mean if that's--I'll always be here for you..that's what I mean. Even if we're not in a relationship, I'll always love you. So whenever you're ready...if you're ever ready, I'll take good care of you Tae, I'll do every--"

Taehyung has given up and his resolve has crumbled. He gives Jungkook the victory, immediately dropping his stuffed animal to the floor and lacing his arms around Jungkook's neck. He presses a soft kiss to his lips, knowing it's so wrong but it feels like the most wonderful thing. It's the most wonderful thing with Jungkook's hands on his waist. It's the most wonderful thing with his fingers running through Jungkook's dirty blonde. It's the most wonderful thing when their lips part and Jungkook tells him he'll be there when he finally makes up his mind. 

Jungkook crosses the kiss off of his list, in utter disbelief that it happened without him initiating it. His face is still beet red just thinking about Taehyung's lips and how good they felt just now. He's in Lala Land, and he can't pick up his feet as Taehyung smiles up at him while they walk towards the loud music. Taehyung's trusting hands lead him towards the elegant instruments. Jungkook instantly recognizes the Pipa from his Chinese History class, and he indulges in the sound. They're beyond relaxing--the instruments all mingling as one could soothe someone to death.

"May I have this dance?" Taehyung bows to Jungkook with a hand outstretched, a smile playing on his lips. Jungkook grins like a dork, taking his hand. "The pleasure is all mine." He moves his hands to Taehyung's waist as the music becomes more mellow and sweet. Taehyung can't take his eyes away from the beauty above him, moving his hands up Jungkook's chest to rest on his shoulders. They sway to the music and Tae has never felt this secure in anyone's arms before. He isn't surprised at all; Jungkook is more than perfect to him.

"They're laughing at us." Jungkook motions towards the local children cooing at them. The group consists of three little girls in a giggling mess, staring directly at Taehyung. "Is that your boyfriend?"

"I wish. He's too good for me! Look at him, isn't he so handsome?" Jungkook's eyes widen and he gets embarrassed immediately when the girls agree. "But he has cooties, so watch out!" Jungkook is clearly amused when the girls scatter, screaming and laughing.

"Psh. If anyone has cooties, it's you."

"Surely you didn't think that when you were kissing me." Taehyung smirks at his witty remark, smirking even more when Jungkook stutters to find a reply. Just when he's finished bumbling like an idiot, there's a loud explosion in the sky. Taehyung almost jumps out of his skin, softening when he realizes it's fireworks.

Jungkook looks eager all of a sudden, quickly taking Taehyung's hand to lead him to where the crowd is gathering. There's a lot of people and it would be rude to push through; Jungkook can see just fine but Taehyung is hopping around everywhere to get a better view. Jungkook takes the stuffed animals from Taehyung suddenly and he looks confused when Jungkook bends down suddenly. He pushes his head between Taehyung's legs without warning, scaring him out of his wits when he lifts him off the floor to sit on his shoulders.

"Can you see now?"

Taehyung steadies himself, not knowing how Jungkook can get any better than this. "I can see perfectly, thanks to you. They're incredible, Kookie.."

Jungkook looks extremely pleased; Taehyung plays with his hair while they watch the fireworks crash and explode into a plethora of rainbow hues. Jungkook is captivated by the scene in front of him, almost completely forgetting about the time. He checks his watch for the time, reading 6:34 PM. It's getting dark and he only has a few more hours left; once the fireworks are finished, the crowd begins to disperse and Jungkook sets Tae down on his feet. Taehyung has this sparkling look in his eyes, as if he can't believe the person in front of him is actually there.

"It's getting dark Jungkook...do you think we should head back?" 

"We still have time, there's just one more thing I have to show you." Jungkook glances at his list again, trying to familiarize himself with his agenda.

Have brunch with Taehyung

Spend thirty minutes telling Taehyung he's beautiful

Smell Taehyung (?)

Hold Hands with Taehyung

Take Taehyung to the Blue Forest

Dance with Taehyung

Buy Lamb Skewers for Taehyung

Have a Snowball Fight with Taehyung

Make Snow Angels with Taehyung

Watch the Stars with Taehyung

Kiss Taehyung (????)

Give flowers to Taehyung

He nods, looking up towards the mountain peak. "Let's take the lift up the mountain, it's way faster." Taehyung nods, picking up the Totoro and Pikachu couple and keeping up with Jungkook's steps. Jungkook stops him, frowning.

"What?"

"Eyes. Closed."

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Jungkook and Taehyung walk hand in hand on the path to the peak, talking amongst each other. Taehyung has a loud laugh that he doesn't think is the most flattering but Jungkook loves. In retrospect, Jungkook's laugh is high-pitched and goofy. He pauses to pretend he's getting something out of his pocket as Tae slowly walks ahead. Taehyung seems to be in outer space until he's pelted in the back with a ball of ice. He turns to a smirking Jungkook, juggling three perfectly-formed snowballs in his hand.

"You just started a war, kid." Taehyung hides behind a rock to prepare his ammo, diving and ducking to dodge Jungkook's snowballs. Taehyung yelps when one hits him and he gets Jungkook with a combo, tackling him into the snow. He lays to his side with his arms and legs outstretched, making a snow angel in the snow. Taehyung mirrors him, making his own snow-something--not exactly an angel because his sweater is in the way. Jungkook smashes his last ball of fluff all over Taehyung's head, and his curls are a mess on his head.

"I surrender!" Tae puts his hands up, trying to catch his breath on top of Jungkook's chest. "Psh, I knew I would win anyway. What's my prize then?"

"What do you want to be your prize?" Taehyung blushes slightly when Jungkook smiles up at him. "Sounds like a trick question."

Taehyung reaches down to give him the second kiss of the evening, gently nipping at Jungkook's lips before parting from him. "How's that?"

"I mean I guess it'll do..." Jungkook's heart races as Tae nudges him playfully, pulling him out of the snow to go the very last stop. His eyes are closed as usual and Jungkook approaches the fork in the path, though something doesn't seem right.

Okay. The park ranger said the peak would be blocked off.

We can still watch the stars if we take the other way.

Jungkook begins to walk towards the open pathway, but he could've sworn the blockade was on the right, not the left.

"Jungkook? What's wrong?"

"Nothing, don't open yet. We're almost there, no worries."

It has to be this way. Maybe I'm just tired or something?

Jungkook spots a figure in a hoodie coming down from the blocked off pathway. The person steps through the caution tape, intent on completely ignoring both of them. "Excuse me, could you tell me if this goes to.." Jungkook realizes they aren't listening at all, and the person almost shoves him completely out of the way in an effort to mind their own business.

"What an ..." Jungkook whispers to himself, leading Taehyung up the path. It's much colder up here and Taehyung's sweater won't do, so Jungkook is beyond relieved he wore his thermal. Jungkook grabs a lantern from the rack and lights it with a match, following the signs telling him where to go. He's relieved when he realizes he went the right way, and his mind was only playing tricks on him.

After what seems like endless walking they finally reach an opening they gives way to an enormous view of the sky. Every last star is twinkling with its own unique glow, and the sight warms Taehyung's heart to mush. He can't even begin to asses how lucky his is right now; to witness something so unforgettable with the most perfect guy in the world, in his eyes, is worth it all. He could die right now, and happily too.

Jungkook takes a seat and pats the space next to him. Instead, Taehyung sits in his lap and wraps Jungkook's hands around his waist, much to his surprise. He's glad Taehyung's back is to him, so he can't see how much he's blushing. Taehyung can still feel Jungkook's heart bursting out of his chest behind him, and he smiles at the realization. "This has been the most memorable night of my life. I wish we could do it over and over again."

"It's possible. I'd be tired as hell, but I'd do it." Tae laughs and counts the stars with Jungkook, pointing out his favorite star, Polaris. They reminisce about their childhood while Jungkook runs the pads of his fingers against Taehyung's scalp. His other hand rests on Taehyung's thigh and it feels natural. So natural that they lose track of time, and Jungkook forgets they still need to make it back to give Taehyung his flowers.

"Let's get back. It's getting late, and it may be dangerous out here." Taehyung agrees, getting off of his lap and to his feet. Jungkook follows and they stroll through the clearing to get back to the path.

But the path isn't there.

"Do you remember which way we came from?"

"Yeah, it probably got covered up by the snow. Don't worry, I remember there being a boulder near the entrance."

"Jungkook..." Taehyung looks worried suddenly. "There's boulders near all five paths out of the forest.."

.

Jungkook doesn't panic right away. Instead he quickly tries to think how he can maneuver his way out of the forest. "It's fine! We can just call the Park Ranger. Here, I'll--"

Jungkook peers into the "No Service" icon on his cell phone, about one more mishap away from ting his pants.

"Jungkook, it's freezing up here. Let's just pick a way and try to wing it."

"What if we get even more lost Tae? We might wander deeper into sville and we'll never get out of here."

"What are we supposed to do?? Sit here and scream for help?" Taehyung looks like he's going to have a panic attack; Jungkook reasons with him to calm him down.

"Take the lantern and stay here. Don't move, don't walk anywhere, just stay put. Take my coat so you can stay warm and I'll be back. I'm gonna go and find help."

Jungkook begins to shed his coat and Taehyung stops him. "Absolutely not. You'll freeze to death!"

"You're anemic. I'm not the priority right now."

"Kook you're always my priority. I don't give a damn what you say, I'm going with you."

"Look, I'm telling you--"

"You can't tell me what to do. I can make my own decisions and I'm said I'm coming."

Jungkook resists the urge to curse on his breath, firmly holding Taehyung's wrists. "Baby, now is really not the time."

Jungkook realizes that's not his name and he's ed up once again, but Taehyung doesn't protest at all. Instead he bites his lip, like he's struggling with his pride. "Fine. But if you don't come back here in the next thirty minutes, so help me god..."

"If I don't, keep waiting. Don't move, do you understand?"

Taehyung muffles out a yes as Jungkook drapes his coat around him and places a soft kiss on his forehead. Jungkook makes quick work of the time he's got, checking his watch for the time.

"7:55, I can still do this. I won't let you down Taehyung. Not again."

 

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Jungkook trudges through the labyrinth of twists and turns, and with no mark of the pathway he has no idea where he's going. He's thankful he's at least leaving footprints to follow back to Taehyung in case he deems himself out of luck. But he doesn't see himself giving up anytime soon, and he's sure of that.

It's getting colder and colder as he progresses and the winds begin to pick up, almost knocking him over at one point. The cold bites at his face and grits his teeth, feeling relief when he sees the light of a lantern approaching. "Hey! Hey, can you hear me?!"

He waves his hand as the light gets brighter and brighter. The owner is that same person from before that almost toppled them over, and he instantly regrets it. He's desperate, even an would do if they could tell him where to go. Jungkook jogs up to the figure, trying to catch his breath.

"Hey, I was wondering if you know how to get back to the cabins from here. I took a wrong turn with my friend and we're kind of lost."

The person doesn't answer for what seems like a lifetime. Jungkook can barely make out a face due to the darkness, and the hood covers all features that would help identify them as a man or a woman. The person simply extends a hand and points forward, and Jungkook can see the clearing of trees leading to another opening, presumably the exit.

Maybe this person isn't such an after all!

"Uh...thanks! I really appreciate it. Please stay safe, and warm." Jungkook bows slightly when the person doesn't respond. He turns around, following his footsteps with his eyes and talking to himself in a low voice. "Great! I'll just go grab Taehyung and we can get--"

Jungkook hears a loud thump, and he doesn't register the ear-splitting pain in the back of his head until he collapses in the snow. The snow is slowly being decorated with red, and a wooden bat sinks into the snow into his line of vision. It's smeared with blood--his blood.

"W-What..."

"I'm not surprised you got lost," Jungkook recognizes this voice. He knows it but his vision is blurring and he can barely see. The blood pouring from his head is only making things worse. "I switched the signs, though I didn't think you'd fall for it that easily. You ruined the fun." The person navigates his way around Jungkook's body, coming to face him on the floor. 

It's...a size 13 boot..

"You still don't recognize me? I'm hurt. I thought we'd bond over the fact that we've wanted to the same guy for a while now."

"Won..Wonho..?" Jungkook shivers, unable to lift his head. 

"Bingo! You get a prize. Good job, you ing ." Wonho bends down to his level, pulling by the hair. "Ugh, you're a mess. I'll give you a lowdown of what's gonna go down, so listen closely."

Jungkook can barely breathe, let alone see. He gasps from the pain alone, his eyes darting everywhere at once. "I'm a nice guy, so I'm not gonna kill you. But don't be too sad. You see, the wind speeds up here are deadly. The cold with freeze your blood right in your veins, and hypothermia will get you before blood loss does. You'll become confused as , won't know what's happening until you freeze to death. Either or, doesn't matter to me. I'm just glad we got to see each other again, right?"

He winces in pain, groaning as he tries to get to his feet to no avail. "..you."

"Aw, that's not nice. Look, I tried to be civil with you. But you tried to take what was mine..it's only fair. I'm sure you understand." Wonho pats him on the head, and polishes his bat before throwing the cloth on Jungkook's body. "You have a great night. Stay cool, sweetheart."

Wonho disappears down the mountain without another word, leaving Jungkook to his fate. He can no longer check his watch, let alone lift his head for that matter. He opts to crawl back to Taehyung, desperate to ease his worries and make sure he's okay. The blood is still flowing from his blow the head, and he's dizzy.

Jungkook is able to crawl about a foot and a half when one hour has elapsed. He's since stopped crawling because he can no longer feel his arms. All of a sudden he's confused; he doesn't remember where he is or why he's there-- he just knows it's cold. It's so cold, and he needs to rest.

He glances at his hands, which look almost blue to him. They're swelling slowly and he can feel his breathing becoming more and more shallow. 

It's...hot?

It's hot. It's so hot...

Jungkook doesn't know what this feeling is, but he wants to tear his clothes off. He wants to get them off as soon as possible, but his limbs have since failed him. He begins humming to himself, and the humming becomes more and more disoriented until it stops completely. Jungkook stops moving, his chest's rise-and-fall ceasing completely. He exhales calmly as his pale lips form a smile, and decides he'll take a rest.

Yes...let's rest.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Taehyung is sick out of his mind with worry and grabs the lantern. It's been an hour and this is more than abnormal; twiddling his thumbs is making his restless and he needs to do something quickly.

this, he has to be in danger if he's not back yet. I have to find him!

Taehyung runs toward the path Jungkook took previously, following his footsteps diligently. He walks the trail for about ten minutes, screaming Jungkook's name and hoping he gets and answer back. Taehyung can see sirens in the distance, and he runs in that direction hoping help will be there. He comes to a clearing a sees an ambulance in the distance, and his face drains in horror when he sees Jungkook's sapphire necklace in the snow, covered in blood. The blood trail extends for about a foot, and a small distance away a body is being taken away on a stretcher.

He runs towards the officers in a blind episode, unable to take normal breaths. "Tell me. Tell me what happened, please tell me what happened,"

The officer urges him to calm down, trying to restrain him. "get the off of me! That's my boyfriend!"

"A young man was murdered while coming down from the trail. This is a crime scene."

"M-M..." Taehyung can't form the words. His heart just explodes in his chest as the tears won't stop. "That means dead. He's not dead,"

"We have to get him to the nearest hospital, sir. He's not breathing and his heart has stopped completely."

"What the are you waiting for? Help him! ing help him!" Taehyung is screaming to the top of his lungs and five officers have to restrain him to keep him from hurting someone or himself. 

Even with his head in the freezing snow, he can only cry out for Jungkook. So he cries out until his voice cracks, until his eyes are too swollen to cry anymore, until his chest has given out on him and he's too tired to thrash around in the back of the cop car. Until his body can no longer scream for Jungkook.

The only man he's ever loved.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

There's typos bc I wanted to get this out ASAP but you guys won't drag me. Anyways, hello hello hello! Yes I know it's been a long hiatus but I had to push this out!! Exams are coming and I'm supposed to be studying but you guys deserve this. I was gonna make it even longer but I didn't want to bore you all to death. Nevertheless, thank you so much for reading! I've missed you all, but I will be back soon <3 See you in the next one!