3rd Incisor

Toothless

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Jimin's leg is bouncing uncontrollably and shaking the table (and his Americano) in the process. He doesn't want to jump to conclusions or assume why Yoongi's late, rather he wants to sit there quietly and not sweat off all the gel in his hair. He checks his phone for the ninth time in one sitting and sighs.

"He'll be here soon Jimin. Be patient, he wouldn't stand you up." The more Jimin's leg bounces the more he fears his pep talk isn't true. He gives him five more minutes in his head because he has faith in his crush and it's 3:24 PM. The cafe closes at six and it's a Friday, so time is all Jimin has.

Five minutes turn to ten, then twenty. Jimin bites his lip when he realizes it's four o' clock. The sting in his chest says he's embarrassed, wondering why he even thought Yoongi was remotely interested in him. Why would Yoongi even look at someone like him? Why was he so excited? His eyes are reddening and heating up and he calmly smiles to the counter-girl before picking up his coffee and turning to leave. He's startled when he looks up and locks eyes with the last person he expected to see.

"I'm so sorry I'm late," Yoongi is out of breath, heaving violently with his hands on his knees. "Y-Yoongi..did you run here?"

"Yeah, it's five minutes from my house. I had to pick up my baby sister from her ballet class, she got sick today and mom didn't have anyone else to do it so I--"

"Breathe," Jimin's eyes are shining and it still looks like he wants to cry, but the relief that washes through his body cures him of all ailments. "It's okay Yoongi, I understand. You must be a wonderful big brother.." Jimin smiles and nods to him, beginning to walk away. Yoongi lightly grabs his wrist with questioning eyes. 

"Where are you going?"

"W-Well I figured this was..over. There's always next time I guess, I-I mean if you're not busy...or anything." Jimin glances at his watch nervously, prompting Yoongi to check his too. "We've got time. You look really nice, please don't waste it..." Jimin's mouth is slightly agape as Yoongi softly smiles at him, which is rare. The redness creeping into his ears is very visible and he can't help but smile like a dork when Yoongi is nudging him back to the table. He tries to cover it with his small plump hands, a habit when he's embarrassed, but Yoongi swats his hands away. "Don't move."

Jimin nods and Yoongi quickly orders something, coming back to the table within minutes with a Macchiato for himself and a flat white for Jimin. "I got you mochi, though they were out of the green tea ones...sorry."

"How did you know? I love mochi!" Jimin's face lights up and he cuts the chewy treat in half, indulging in the light airy taste. He's smiling and he's so animated, so alive and so refreshing. Seeing him so happy sends Yoongi's heart into overdrive. He's effectively evaded Jimin's question-- he doesn't need to know that Yoongi used to watch him from the corner of his eye when they ate lunch in the music room. There was almost always a green tea mochi in his lunch box that he would attack first, every single day. He doesn't know why he's staring blankly at Jimin as if he were time, space and everything in between. He doesn't know why his hand is creeping across the table, eager to link with Jimin's. He does know, when Jimin stops talking while he's in a daze and asks him what's wrong, he should be asking what's right instead.

Because Yoongi is only this elated in the presence of Park Jimin.

"What's wrong? Do you want to leave?"

"No I'm fine, we've got time."

Yoongi uses every last bit of his time to get lost in those big brown eyes, his button nose and his plump lips. He has Jimin laughing the entire evening, until the cafe closes and they don't hear everyone else leaving.

Until Yoongi's so tightly wrapped around Jimin's small fingers, he can't seem to snap out of it when they're being shooed out by the employees into the pouring rain.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

On a Saturday, Jungkook would normally be lifting at the gym, studying vigorously for winter exams or training on the soccer field for an upcoming game. Instead he's wiped out from the event yesterday and everything in between, including his ex-girlfriend essentially owning him now through a monetary agreement. He hadn't had time to ponder how suddenly this year he's become a slave to the student council without even being on the e-board. However, the reason obviously (not so obviously to Jungkook) begins with the letter T despite his denial.  He's fast asleep in his room and thankfully his father has gone to stay at hotel for the time being, courtesy of his mother wanting to avoid future arguments. He can finally drool all over his pillows in peace, that is until Yugyeom blasts into his room singing at the top of his lungs.

"Get up nerd. Let's go to a movie together!" Yugyeom places his foot on Jungkook's head, who is much too tired to care how bad it smells. "Gyeom, it's Saturday.."

"Exactly. We do fun stuff on Saturdays." Yugyeom throws himself on top of his baby brother and blows into his ear obnoxiously, earning an annoyed groan.

"We sleep on Saturdays. Go away." Jungkook hits him with a pillow and rotates his back to him.

"Fine. I'll just go to Tae's--"

Yugyeom doesn't even get his full sentence out before Jungkook is wide awake, sitting up and interrogating him. He's beyond startled, because Jungkook was knocked out five seconds ago. "Why are you going over there?"

"Am I not allowed to? I used to babysit you punks, I'd like to see how he's doing. Just because you two fought doesn't mean I can't enjoy him. Whoa, so nosey all of a sudden."

"Enjoy him? How are you going to enjoy him? What are you going to enjoy with him??"

"I'm just going to say hi! What's with you?" Yugyeom stares quizzically at Jungkook, who is beaming back at him with wild eyes. "Taehyung has a cold. If you go there you might catch it. I think you should stay here."

Yugyeom shrugs. "My immune system is unstoppable. I'll be fine." He's on his way out and Jungkook is digging for another excuse, though he has no idea why. "Taehyung isn't even home! He has a doctor's appointment!"

"Maybe he took a rain check!" Yugyeom yells over his shoulder as his voice fades down the hallway. Kook hears the front door open and close and he sighs. Jungkook doesn't have much to think about before his phone is ringing under his pillow and he feels around for it and answers abruptly. "Hello?"

"Jungkook? I was hoping we could talk. We didn't get a chance yesterday what with everything going on," Jungkook pauses when a female roice sounds from the phone. "there's a lot on my mind."

He sighs, dreading how patient and understanding he can be at times. "Whatever you want to talk about, I'm here for you Jeni. I'm your friend." Jungkook smiles regardless of whether she can see it or not, so she can hear the sincerity in his voice. Sure, she embarrassed him in front of twenty-five percent of the student body and dumped him simultaneously, but that was due to the work of...outside factors. Outside factors that just happened to live outside his bedroom window and across the street..

Jungkook decided he wouldn't hold it against her. Instead, he'd use his blessing and his curse--unconditional kindness-- and be there for her. Though he fears what she could possibly want with him after paying so much money, he puts it out of his head. After all, this was the same girl he would hand-deliver lunch to every single day with a kiss on the side. After being so sweet, Jungkook doesn't expect her to turn sour anytime soon.

"Great, I'll see you on Monday then. By the way...thanks." Jungkook smiles and ends the call, ruffling his hair in frustration. "No harm in being nice Jungkook, no harm."

He chants it like a mantra as he gets up to brush his teeth, and his phone is ringing again as the toothpaste lathers in his mouth. He pauses and swipes his screen, brushing in between replies. "Hello?"

"Good morning sunshine, it's HOSEOK." Hoseok is yelling happily on the line, and Jungkook wishes he'd look at the caller ID before answering the phone. "Why are you so loud this early in the morning? Aigoo." 

"Student council needs you again, there's a car wash in March and we need hot guys. We're about 100,000 won short of our goal, if you include budget cuts for clubs, expenses..." Hoseok is blunt and to the point, and Jungkook hates disappointing others. For Hoseok, it's a win-win.

"I'm not even in student council! I don't appreciate you all capitalizing off of me. I was just sold to a group of rabid teenage girls."

"So you'll do it?"

"Sure." Jungkook whines, his brain telling him no and him heart telling him the same but his lips only allowing him to say yes.

"Yes! I love you baby!" Hoseok is singing through the phone and the rustling noises probably mean he's dancing around his bedroom too. "Hey, just treat me well."

Jungkook hangs up the phone again, slowly getting annoyed. Sure he's patient, but he too has a boiling point.

However, the only thing that's boiling the water in the pot at the moment is the fact that his brother is at Tae's house.

Yes, it's none of Jungkook's business but essentially it is. That is Jungkook's brother, who shared the same womb as him. So technically, they could be considered the same person. They're interchangeable, and this is Jungkook's logic that was never up for debate. He peeks out his bedroom window and sees Taehyung's curtains closed. He only closes them when he takes a shower, and it only takes Jungkook a few seconds to start Jeon Jungkook'ing again.

He's in there with Yugyeom. I know it.

No he's not, Jungkook. Stop jumping to conclusions.

Listen Jungkook, I know what I'm talking about. They're probably in his bed right now, whispering sweet nothings to each other!

Really Jungkook? He doesn't even like Tae like th--

Shut up, Jungkook! I'm trying to think!

Now he's talking to himself as the scenarios fill his head and he knows he's going half-way insane over something that doesn't even matter, and doesn't matter the most to him of all people. He doesn't care what Taehyung does or who he talks to because he doesn't care about Taehyung. In fact, he's perfectly content. He told Taehyung to leave him alone, and he's effectively scared him away with a hickey (and much more Jungkook thinks nothing of.) Now he's sure to leave him alone, he won't even walk into the same room as him unless it's for class. He's suspended, so that's the least of his worries.

Jungkook likes it like that.

Jungkook feels good.

Jungkook is unbothered.

His phone rings again and he grabs the device and almost screams through it. "I told you he has a cold!"

"Err..hello?" An unfamiliar voice comes from the phone and Jungkook gasps inaudibly. "I'd like to speak to Jeon Jungkook please. Is he present at the moment?"

Jungkook quickly clears his throat awkwardly, wondering why bill collectors are calling him. "This is he. How can I help you?"

"Thank goodness! We've sent so many emails," Jungkook is confused, cocking his head to the side. "my name is Choi Jooyeon. I'm the Director of Medical Education at Younghwa Memorial Hospital." 

Jungkook wonders why a director from one of the best medical facilities in Seoul would be calling him of all people, feeling dejected. "Ah, but I live in Pyeongsaeng. I'm afraid you have the wrong number."

"Oh but I don't," She continues and coaxes Jungkook to stay on the line. "Your college application was in the system of high schools we normally pluck from to work for us someday in the future. I've been trying to contact you because we want to consider you for an internship in the maternity and pediatric ward. Your grade-point average is stellar and you're quite the extra-curricular young man. We'd like to interview you, if that's alright."

The phone melts off of Jungkook's face and he's choking on his own saliva, in an absolute daze. "M-Me? Jeon Jungkook? You picked me?"

"Quite the modest one I see," The woman laughs on the line and presses him once again. "Of course if you aren't interested--"

"No! Y-Yes," Jungkook is so confused and overjoyed he can't even speak Korean clearly. "if you just give me a time and date I will be sure to come, I promise."

"I'll be going on vacation within the next week. I'd actually like to meet with you today at four, if possible."

Jungkook chokes again, covering the phone and screaming internally. "Yes! Today! Four! Y-Yes, I will be there. Four." Jungkook doesn't know how to use his words at all and it's very clear. She bids him farewell and he practically runs to the shower, but not before picking out his best suit.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

"Ah, it's still the best!" Yugyeom lounges in the living room while Taehyung is busy cleaning in the kitchen, scrubbing away at the floor with an apple bun in his hair. He's put on an old oversized sweater to avoid bleach stains, and with the sweater drooping below his shoulders it's safe to say he looks very odd. He doesn't mind, he's always been fond of larger clothes and there's much more ventilation. "I used mom's recipe."

"She makes the best samgak-kimbap. Where is she?"

"Work. She's always so tired when she gets home so I like to take care of all the chores while she's gone."

"Aigoo. What a model son, you should teach that brat to respect his dad. They fight when they so much as glance at each other, I swear."

"He came with you too? I see..." Taehyung vaguely remembers many times when Jungkook's father would take away his toys and make him study English or Math instead. It was almost as if Jungkook wasn't allowed to be a normal child--he had duties and strict rules to abide by--which weren't asynchronous with being a six year old. His father wanted to mould a prodigy, the consequences of doing so hid behind the bright smile Jungkook would always show to people. The more Taehyung thinks about it, the more he thinks why Jungkook found refuge in his company. Taehyung came from a home full of love, and his mother spoiled him rotten with it. They didn't have a lot of money, but Taehyung was always smiling, always playing, always enjoying being a child.

Come to think of it, as Taehyung files through his memories he realizes it was he who taught Jungkook how to smile. 

"Jungkook is a good kid. I just wish he and dad would squash this." He stuffs another rice ball in his mouth as Taehyung sighs in frustration, taking off his rubber gloves. "It's not that simple, Gyeommie."

"How so?"

"At the end of the day, has Jungkook ever been accepted by his father? He's a man now. Has he still never felt his father's love? And no, love is not sending a monthly check to make sure he's okay, if that's what he does.." Taehyung looks down, hoping that Yugyeom isn't offended.

"I mean..you're not wrong." Taehyung's eyes widen and he nods. "He hasn't been a great father but he's trying. I wish Kookie would at least give him that."

"I get that,but...a boy needs his father. My dad was there for most of my life and we still try to maintain a healthy relationship even though he can't be. He takes great care of my younger siblings and he's a good father." Taehyung settles down in an armchair and pours hot ginseng tea from a kettle, preparing to lecture the older boy some more. 

"The foundation is there, you know? He needs to encourage Jungkook, teach Jungkook, and love him just like he did when he was a baby. I have faith in him, he can do it. Don't make excuses for him, teach him."

Yugyeom has a tender smile on his lips, and for a split second Tae can see the resemblance between the two brothers. "You haven't changed a bit. You're still all about Jungkook to this day." Yugyeom raises his cup of juice to wash down his rice. "Well, I am in love with him."

Yugyeom spits his juice all over the floor Taehyung just scrubbed, and he could care less about the older male's profuse choking. "Hey! I just cleaned up!"

"Y-Y-You're not serious right? In love? With that punk? What is the world coming to..."

"Why is that so shocking? You guys act like he's a serial killer."

"He's an angel,"Yugyeom regains his oxygen, huffing with wild eyes. "an angel who socked your tooth out, then went crazy for several years because you wouldn't date him--"

"Aigoo. I know the story and I feel terrible, stop repeating it!" Taehyung sighs and accidentally burns himself with his tea, wincing. "That's what I thought too, but I had it all wrong. I'm actually the one who punched him in the nose, I fell, tooth out. Bam, karma at it's best. I don't know how it happened but once I knew it was all my fault and he was still nice to me all this time, I fell in love."

"Just like that?"

"Just like that."

"Gross." Yugyeom is baffled and sits back in the chair while Taehyung dabs at his hair, still wet from the shower.

"I can't help it, I love everything about him. He's so sweet, and handsome, and tall, and warm, and.."

Taehyung goes on and on as his brother's expression grows more and more digusted.

"But I think it's time I move on. Things are rocky between us and I ruined the possibility of him ever looking at me in a positive light ever again. I'm always going to love him though, that won't change."  Taehyung's smile slowly falls, and before Yugyeom can inquire further there's a knock on the door. "I'll get it. Mom's home from work."

Taehyung hurries to the front door, pulling on the sweater that keeps drooping down his tanned shoulders. He's nudging it up when he opens the door and lays eyes on a tall male in a crisp suit. He's wearing cologne that's soft and musky, spotless dress shoes and small maroon hankerchief in his pocket. His neck is craned as if he's looking for something, and when he turns towards Taehyung he almost doesn't recognize him. "Is my brother here?"

Taehyung opens his mouth to speak but the words won't come out, instead he's standing there with his mouth moving and his eyes wandering down to Jungkook's shoes. He didn't know he was this bad, because Jungkook had no right to look this ravishing after touching him like that yesterday evening. The memory is fresh in his mind all of a sudden and he covers his bare shoulders and his collarbone reflexively as Jungkook stares at him impatiently. "I..I..me..your..?"

"My brother," Jungkook pinches the bridge of his nose, trying again. "Yugyeom. Is he here?" Again Tae is stuttering and his entire face flushes before the blood starts to trickle from his nose. "Um...you've got a little--"

"I know, h-he's..in the living room." Taehyung hurriedly smears the blood with the back of his hand, effectively embarrassing himself in front of his crush. "Okay..can I come in?" Jungkook glances down at him as he nods quickly, utterly confused. Jungkook tries to make his way through the small door frame, little space available due to Taehyung standing about like a stuttering idiot. He doesn't realize how much he's in the way until Jungkook slides by him and his face rubs against his suit jacket, painting it with blood in the process.

Jungkook curses to himself, immediately noticing the developing stain and closing his eyes as if to keep the anger in. 'J-Jungkook I'm so sorry, I can wash it!"

"It's fine. I'll take care of it later." He's rubbing at his temples and Tae's heart sinks. "But there's peroxide upstairs, just a little if you give me thirty minutes--"

"I don't have thirty minutes. I shouldn't have come here in the first place."

Yugyeom marches in the foyer with rice balls in his hand, visibly pissed off. "Hey, do you really need to talk to him like that? It was an accident!"

"Why weren't you answering your phone? I called you five times an hour ago."

"I was chewing. Why'd you come? Aren't you afraid you'll get Tae's cold?"

"I'm not sick, I just have a bit of an allergy.." Taehyung sniffs up some more blood, doe-eyed and confused. Yugyeom forces tissue into his nose, annoyed by the sniffling that periodically interrupts their babbling every now and then. "Can you drive me to an interview? If I take the subway I'll be late...it's all the way in Seoul."

Tae is overjoyed, his face lighting up. "You did?! Where at?" Jungkook glares at him, momentarily forgetting he'd exiled him just yesterday. "At Younghwa."

Tae's nose spouts more blood as he rejoices, earning a smile from Yugyeom. "Of course I'll take you, that's a once in a lifetime opportunity. Leave the jacket."

"I need it!" Yugyeom rolls his eyes when Jungkook huffs. "Stop being a brat and let him wash it. You look overdressed anyway."

Jungkook sighs in defeat, handing the jacket to a smiling Tae with red buds in his nostrils. "I think you look amazing, you barely needed this." Jungkook pauses, captured by Taehyung's smile for a brief moment. He clears his throat and continues rolling up his sleeves, then folds them. "Uh...thanks."

"Just one thing. Won't get anymore blood on you, promise." Taehyung adjusts his crooked tie, standing on his toes to reach Jungkook neck properly. The shoes give him some height and he's peering right into Taehyung's sincere eyes, studying the excited smile on his lips as his hands maneuver around his tie. Jungkook looks away every time there's a possibility of their eyes meeting, because there's no way he's admiring how Tae's sweater is sliding down his solid collarbone and golden shoulders. His eyes wander to the purple mark on Taehyung's neck and he almost chokes on his saliva as his heart skips several beats. In a split second he's finished and whilst being dragged out of the front door to Yugyeom's car, his eyes won't leave Taehyung's lippy smile as he waves goodbye.

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Feel free to beat me with a stick bc this update is LONG overdue :) Thank my cousin who threatened to disown me if I didn't get it out! I've been busy with research and exams so please forgive me. As an apology I'm treating you to a double update! Sit tight~ xoxo