Spinning

Companion

     

     Youngbae's head was spinning as he drove away from the restaurant. He didn't know how to process what he'd just overheard. His best friend, Jiyong, was in love with him? Was he the one Ji had been pining over all these months? It just didn't seem possible. How could this be true? But the more he thought about it, the more the pieces began to fall into place in his mind. All those little signs that he'd just brushed over. Ji's reaction when Bae & his girl got back together. The way Ji had avoided him for a while after that. The way Ji refused to say who his new love was, no matter how much Bae had . 

     "The teasing..." Bae groaned. "How could I be such an idiot?" he said, smacking the steering wheel in frustration. "He must have been miserable... And I made it worse. I'm his best friend. I should have known. Why didn't I know? Why didn't I see the signs?"

     Now that he thought about it, maybe he had seen the signs. He just hadn't thought much about them. 

     He growled in frustration at himself. 

     He remembered all the sweet little things that Ji had done for him over the past few months. Ji had even bought him the hat that Bae had worn to the restaurant that night. The one he'd forgotten about. Again. 

     Bae cursed under his breath. He hoped that Ji or Ri had gotten it & taken it with them because he knew the restaurant would be closed by the time he could get back there to retrieve it.

     He must look so ungrateful after Ji bought him the hat & he just left it there. 

     "I can't do anything right," he groaned. 

     He was far too keyed up & confused & frustrated with himself to go home quite yet, so he decided to just drive around for a bit. Driving around & listening to music had always helped to clear his head. 

     He fell silent as Ji's song, Super Star, came on the radio. He'd heard the song many times before. Even before it was released. Ji often liked to get his best friend's opinion on his music as he was working on it. And Ji played had this one for him more than once in order to get his thoughts on it. He'd always thought the song was rather sad (which wasn't unusual for Jiyong), but tonight he heard it differently. His best friend sounded so lonely. It made his heart ache.

     "Is it my fault?" he asked no one in particular. "Did he try to tell me & I just missed it?" 

     The song ended & Bae turned off the radio. He needed to think.

     "How many other signs from him have I missed?" Bae wondered aloud.

     "There was the picture on his phone's lock screen that he didn't seem to want me to see..." he thought.

     It had looked a lot like the picture of the two them on the rollercoaster the day they'd gone to the amusement park together. Or at least, he thought it did. From his viewpoint it had been upside down so he wasn't sure. But he had seen Ji gazing at it with a look of pure longing on his face.  

     "And then there was the morning after the amusement park..." he mused, remembering the awkward moment when he woke up in a rather aroused Ji's arms.

     He cringed a little.

     Had Ji really had a y dream about him? He still wasn't sure he wanted to know the answer to that.

     He felt so unprepared for any of this. Still, he couldn't just bury his head in the sand & wish for it to all go away. This was Ji. And looking back over all the little hints he'd seen over the last few months, he was now pretty sure that his ears hadn't been playing tricks on him back at the restaurant. It seemed his best friend really did have a thing for him.

     And Bae knew it would change everything. 

     He sighed. 

     "What am I going to do about this?"