A Tactical Change

Companion

     The conversation at the restaurant haunted Jiyong. His mind kept replaying over & over the moment when Youngbae asked him about when the boys could meet his nonexistent new girlfriend. It was like a song stuck on repeat. He knew Bae hadn't meant to hurt him, so he couldn't be angry with him. He knew Bae would never intentionally hurt anyone. Especially his best friend. But at the same time, it stung. The simple fact that Bae was leaned back with his arm draped around the back of his girlfriend's chair when he asked the question made it feel like a slap in the face. He knew that Youngbae would never taunt him or rub his relationship in his face, but that's what it felt like. It seemed that his logical mind & emotional heart were constantly at war when it came to Youngbae. 

 

     Ji continued to have dreams about Bae, not every night, but quite regularly. And they only added to his pain, because every time he woke up from one of those dreams, he was once again forced to face the harsh reality that the man he loved did not love him back. At least not like that. Not like he wanted him to; like he needed him to. He found himself gazing longingly at Bae when Bae wasn't looking, & wanting to be close to him like in his dreams.

     

     That's when he decided to change tactics. 

 

     Trying to woo Youngbae was almost an unconscious decision for Jiyong, as if it were his default setting. It had always worked with the girls he'd dated, right? It's what he was good at; making someone feel special. And he knew it. So he started randomly bringing Bae's favorite chocolates to work & buying him little things like a new hat he knew Bae would like that he found when he was out shopping. Just little things like that. He knew that being too extravagant would be obvious, so he never went overboard. He wanted to quietly win Youngbae's heart. Not arouse suspicion. When he could, he would invite Bae over to his apartment for pizza & a movie or just to talk. It didn't really matter to Ji what they're doing. He just wanted to be with Bae. To be close to him. To make him smile. Because that smile never failed to brighten his whole day. 

 

     Ji didn't realize that his need to be near Bae had not gone unnoticed, but Bae was used to Ji's need of skinship, so he didn't think much about it when Ji became a bit more clingy than usual. He just figured it was because he needed the support while he was pining away for whatever girl he'd fallen for this time. Ji had yet to reveal who this new girl was that had stolen his heart & that bothered Bae a little bit because Ji had always talked to him about things like that before, but he figured Ji would talk to him about it when he was ready. Bae knew better than to push his best friend when he didn't want to talk about something because he could be very evasive when he wanted to be. And they'd been pretty busy with work anyway so they hadn't had a lot of time to talk about anything not work-related. 

 

     One weekend, after a particularly stressful week at work, Ji suggested a trip to their favorite theme park. He figured it would be a fun way to relax because he knew how much Bae loved rollercoasters (so he knew Bae would enjoy it). Plus, it would give Ji a little of the extra time with Bae that he craved so much. Ji was certain he'd been right for suggesting the trip after getting off of Youngbae's favorite rollercoaster. They stood in front of the little hut that sold memorabilia from the rollercoaster they'd just ridden looking at the picture of the two of them riding the rollercoaster & laughed at Ji's screaming face & Bae's hair blowing wildly in the wind. Bae wrapped his arm around Ji's shoulders & pulled him against him in a sort of side-hug & rested his head against Jiyong's, & said, "Thank you, Ji. You always seem to know exactly what I need. I don't know what I would do without you. You're the best friend a man could have." 

 

     Youngbae's words both warmed Ji's heart & crushed it a little at the same time. It felt so good to be loved by Youngbae, but Jiyong wanted to be so much more than just friends. He let out an awkward half-hearted chuckle, unsure as to what he should say in return. He was almost tempted to tell Bae how he felt right then & there, but he was too afraid of what Bae's response would be. Before he could think of anything to say, Bae grabbed his hand & took off at a near-run, "Come on, Ji! I want to ride the water-ride next!" he said excitedly. And Ji followed him, relishing the feel of Bae's hand in his. This was all like a crazy, emotional rollercoaster, but he was willing to go anywhere & do anything if it meant he could be with Youngbae.