eudaimonia

a night and forever

eudaimonia
/juːdᵻˈmoʊniə/

noun

1. "human flourishing"; a contented state of being happy, healthy, and prosperous.

_____________________________________________________

Ok I changed my mind. The following chapter will be the last one. I promise. I know you're probably tired of me by now but I just HAD to add this really short filler. (It's something I wrote months ago and forgot about lol). It's basically just dialogue (aka, Baekhyun rambling , waxing poetic, and being dramatic. (We seem to have a lot in common.)) But I'm hoping it tides you over until I post the last chapter. Enjoy!

_____________________________________________________

 

It's one of those nights when the two of them don't wish to do anything but lie in bed. Baekhyun is in his favorite position—head pillowed on Yixing's chest—lightly tracing patterns on his shirt.

"Hyung, do you ever wish we'd be allowed things that made us happy?" Baekhyun asks in a wistful tone.

Yixing looks down at him, surprised. "What do you mean? Aren't you happy? When you go out on stage and see and hear thousands of fans cheering for us? When you realize that you're the one bringing the smiles to their faces and the tears to their eyes?"

"Yes, of course. It's just—" Baekhyun makes a frustrated noise. "It's just… that's not personal happiness. Those are things we share with the world and—well—I can't explain it. I know I gave up my right to a normal life when I decided I wanted to become an idol. But that doesn't necessarily mean I don’t occasionally want to be able to enjoy normal things. This might sound selfish, but don't you wish you could sometimes indulge in the ordinary? The simple things that bring true happiness? Stuff like being able to go out freely without being accosted. Or just having a bit of peace and quiet and time to myself. Or… or falling in love with someone and being allowed to have them."

He says that last part quietly. The words, with their vaguely hidden meaning, send a strange feeling shooting through Yixing's chest.

"Are you… are you happy now? At this very moment?"

Baekhyun looks up and says, "Of course," with an intensity that suggests he is appalled at the very idea that Yixing might think otherwise.

"Of course I'm happy," he repeats. "I'm with you. I'm so happy that my heart feels like it's about to burst out of my chest. You know that feeling when you're so intensely happy it hurts? The kind of happiness that melts away all your worried. Makes it seem like nothing else matters except you and the person you're with. That's what it's like. I'm so happy it's literally blinding. I know it sounds ing cliché, but it's the truth." Baekhyun takes a deep breath and beams up at him.

Yixing is speechless. (As usual.)

"And you know what Kyungsoo said when I explained it to him earlier?"

"What'd he say?"

"He looked me straight in the eye and said flatly, 'That's called being in love, idiot.'"

Yixing isn't sure how to respond. He feels like his heart is stuck in his throat. His breath caught in his chest.

If that's called being in love, then I must be in love with you.

The words Yixing can’t say burn in his throat.

So instead he just chuckles, "He said that?"

Baekhyun laughs, "Yeah. In that totally Kyungsoo sort of way he has about him."

"Yeah, I can imagine it. I wonder how he acts with Chanyeol when they're alone though…" Yixing ponders out loud.

"You're only supposed to be thinking about me!"

"Hah. Move over,"

Baekhyun goes silent all of a sudden. The smile fades from his face. In a quiet voice, he asks, "Did I—did I do something wrong?"

Yixing just rolls his eyes and pokes his cheek. "Move over,” he repeats.

Slowly, Baekhyun lifts his head from Yixing's chest, untangles himself from his arms, and scoots over on the bed.

Yixing follows by crawling closer and instead rests his head on Baekhyun's chest.

They rarely ever sleep like this. It's usually always the other way around. Baekhyun in his arms or occasionally spooning him from behind. Or they’ll just end up tangled together. Never Baekhyun cradling him like this.

As if by instinct, Baekhyun's arms immediately come up to circle around Yixing and pull him even closer. Yixing nuzzles his face in the other boy's neck.

After a quiet moment, Baekhyun clears his throat. "Well, this is new."

And Yixing, who has his ear pressed against Baekhyun's chest, just replies, "I can hear your heartbeat." He looks up and smiles at Baekhyun cheekily, both of them recalling their conversation about heartbeats from the recording studio a couple weeks past.

"It's beating really fast."

"Oh?" Baekhyun says, trying to sound calm.

"Is it because of me?" Yixing asks cheekily.

Baekhyun blushes and opts not to answer. He averts his eyes from Yixing's gaze but the older man is enjoying this too much.

He puts his hand on the warm, smooth skin of Baekhyun's waist where his shirt has ridden up. Baekhyun can't control the shiver that runs through him as Yixing starts rubbing gentle circles on his exposed hip bone.

Yixing smiles to himself and settles in closer to Baekhyun as the lights are turned off.

 

_____________________________________________________

Holy I used the word happy so many times in this chapter. And forgive me for this whole corny mess. Baekxing just s with my heart. Also, Yixing the little . Baekhyun literally confessed to him and he still didn't kiss him? This boy better man up soon. Anyway, NOW it's one more chapter to go, folks! (I’m actually nervous and feeling the pressure cause it has to end with a bang, y’know?)

Comments are appreciated! <3