Chapter 4

My Meteorite

“They found resources,” Professor Ji announced.

“Whose they?” I questioned, “The rebels?”

Professor Ji turned to look at me and replied, “You shouldn’t call them that, they are our military presence.”

“How did they get it?” Dr Kim asked.

“They intercepted a message about an airlift gone wrong,” Professor Ji answered, “They will send all the resources to us as it is closer. The medication you wanted for the little girl is also there.”

All thoughts evaporated with those words. Princess would be receiving the treatment that she needed. She would survive. Good karma all round. I breathed out and a smile with so much teeth that it threatened to break my face.

Dr Kim looked at me then bumped my shoulder, “Somebody’s really happy,” he said with a smirk on his face.

I rolled my eyes but a smile found its way back and I replied, “Well of course, we’ve had a shortage for months and now we finally have the medications that we need.”

He snorted. “Do you honestly believe yourself?”

I lifted my head up, shook my hair and walked off. I didn’t need to explain myself to a person that I had no obligations other than work ones. I felt the presence of eyes that followed my movement, I was sorely tempted to turn around and stick my tongue out but I decided that such behaviour was beneath me.

Panting. It was always the same nightmare when I had one. I tried to recall the images but all I could smell was the burning of trees and flesh. The beautiful shooting stars that I had once made wishes were raining down on Earth. The most vivid and terrifying thing were the screams. Screams of names, pain and anguish.

The ones that survived were all lost and no one knew what to do.

I shivered noticing that I had forgotten to shut the window. I got up and closed the window, pretending that that was the reason why I had awoken.

I worked lethargically and slowly the next day.

A knock of an elbow shook me from my thoughts, “Yah! Why do you look so bad? Did you not sleep?”

I sighed. I just didn’t feel like dealing with annoying people.

“Ooi! Don’t just ignore me!” A hand reached out and grabbed my arm to pull me back. “What’s wrong?” asked a softened voice which contradicted the contrast of the aggressive and strong hold on my arm.

I stopped, looked down and then looked at Jongin. I clicked my tongue and replied coolly, “I’m fine. Stop worrying about me.” I made to leave.

His grip didn’t slacken and he said, “You think too highly of yourself. I don’t worry about you. I just feel like your patients deserve your 100% attention.”

“That was a low blow Dr. Kim. I know what I need to do and I don’t need someone like you to tell me.” I wrenched my arm free and walked off. I huffed, angry at myself. How could I let things from the past affect me so much? This is why I chose medicine. To fix myself through fixing others. I was broken but if I could mend someone else I could feel whole again. This clinic wasn’t a hospital but in many ways we had become one, transport was just too expensive to use if we could sort out the problems on our own. It’s another reason why I wanted to be here specifically. To do more with less.  And this place… Maybe if I stay here, I’ll find the answers.