Chapter 9

Strangers

 

 

 

Chapter 9

 

 

 

Quietly inside the locked waiting room, two girls who tightly locked their lips together against the wall as they could feel each other's breath under their noses. Embracing with their own warmth, a kiss that enveloped deeply. A kiss that longed for their love. It was a strange feeling. Even the one who took such a bold action had her heart trembling nervously as she slowly let go, taking a breath as she smiled, satisfied.

"You've kissed someone before didn't you?" said Chorong, shyly as she was wrapped in the younger girl's arms.

"No, it's my first. I'm sure you've been kissed by your ex-boyfriend several times, why are you so surprised unnie?" said Eunji as a laugh escaped .

"I-It's different...." said the girl shyly.

"So am I a better kisser?" grinned Eunji confidently.

The older girl felt embarrassed but she decided to quietly nod in response. This only made Eunji to smile even wider.

"I still have a lot of things I want to talk to you about unnie. But there isn't much time for me so I'll just say one thing first."

"What?"

"I think I'm in love with you unnie."

Before Chorong could even reply, the girl suddenly placed her finger on her lips.

"I'll hear your answer later unnie. I have to go for the recording now. Text you later. Thanks to your kiss, I'm all pumped up." said the girl with a smile as she suddenly unlocked the door, held her hands and lead her back to Bomi's waiting room where everyone was. It all happened too quickly as if it was planned. The moment the door opened, the girls greeted the two happily as Eunji gave them a thumbs up and hurriedly disappeared into the hallway, getting ready for the recording.

"Unnie, your face is red! What happened?" said Bomi with a wide grin, excited at the outcome of their secretive plan.

"N-Nothing, we should hurry and get seats for the recording." stuttered Chorong, still unable to grasp the fact of the sudden kiss and Eunji's statement.

"Alright, let's go unnie." said Bomi obediently as she wrapped her arm around the older girl's shoulder and lead her outside. The other dongsaengs who followed along behind who started whispering to each other.

"Eunji unnie gave a thumbs up. Looks like it worked." whispered Hayoung.

"I wonder what those two did in that room, they were alone right?" whispered Namjoo in delight.

"Don't get too excited, you're going to make it look obvious" whispered Naeun.

"But it'll be really good if Chorong and Eunji became a couple. They match well!" 

"We shouldn't jump to conclusions that fast...what if Chorong unnie said no?"

"No way that will happen"

"Hey, the three of you are getting so engrossed in your conversation that you're walking really slowly. Hurry up!" said Bomi as she turned around. She was busy trying to calm Chorong down and distract her so that she would remain normal during the recording. After all, this was a plan discussed between her and Eunji. 

 

 

 

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

 

 

A phone rang in the middle of the afternoon as MC Yoon Bomi took a momentary break. Wondering who it was, she was rather surprised to see "Eunji" written on the screen.

"Eunji-ya! It's rare to recieve a call from you!" said Bomi, happy to hear from her friend who disappeared from the spotlight for almost two weeks.

"Bom-ah, I need a favour from you."

"Ah, so that's why you called?"

"What, are you upset now?" laughed Eunji.

"No, not really. What do you need?"

"I'm planning to confess my feelings to her."

"OH MY GOD-"

"Ah, sorry.." said Bomi as she lowered her tone, aware that she was still in public and people were staring at her.

"Gosh, you're embarassing even when you're on the phone." laughed Eunji.

"So you're finally making the move. Wow, wow, this is getting exciting. I feel like I'm watching a movie."

"W-Whatever, anyways I'm going to need your help. I think having the kids help out would be good too."

"Oh? You mean Naeun, Namjoo and Hayoungie?"

"I'm planning to do it on the day of my audition."

"On such an important day? Eunji-ya, you're wild."

"I'm not."

"Whatever you say."

"Anyways on that day, you need to lure Chorong unnie into the waiting room when it's just me and her. I'll handle things from there."

"Isn't that an easy task though?"

"Chorong unnie will probably not want to visit me yet because she'll start rambling about how she'll disturb me and I need time to prepare and all that. She's a very careful girl you see."

"Ohh, Eunji-ya, you know her better than me now."

"Shut up." laughed Eunji shyly.

"I wish you luck my friend, Chorong unnie isn't an easy girl."

"I know. Thanks Bomi-ya."

 

 

 

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

 

 

"Unnie, let's take these seats." said Bomi as she dragged the older girl along, occasionally glancing at her face to make sure that she was alright. She knew that the girl must've been slightly taken aback by Eunji's actions. Although she had no idea what happened back there but she assumed it was a confession and obviously, it took Chorong by surprise. Following her lead, the three other dongsaengs gathered and took seats from the top row. They were able to see the stage clearly as staff gathered around, fixing cameras, running through scripts as they got prepared for the recording. It was a busy atmosphere as they invited the audience from outside and organised them into their numbered seats.

"Who are the judges for this season?" asked Namjoo.

"I heard JYP is taking over again." replied Naeun.

"Wow, that guy?" said Hayoung.

The three maknaes were engaged in their own conversation as they talked about Superstar K, thrilled and excited that they had the opportunity to sit in the recording session. But on the other hand, Bomi looked at Chorong with worried eyes.

"Unnie, are you okay?" asked Bomi as she lowered her head.

"Mm, I'm fine." mumbled Chorong with a nod as she had to snap out of her thoughts that floated endlessly around her mind. She was conflicted with her own feelings, the scene of Eunji kissing her kept replaying like a film as her words continued to repeat again and again. 

"I think I'm in love with you unnie"

Was she supposed to feel happy and glad? Or should she feel worried? Her experiences in love have only brought her pain. From what she had learnt, falling in love only gave her a momentary happiness before betrayal would soon kick in eventually. It was the same fate with her ex-boyfriend, Changsub. At first, things would go smoothly but as a couple continue to see each other, they would get tired and bored. Eventually, the spark that formed in the beginning would disappear and they would just be strangers again. The girl's biggest weakness was pessimism and often, it killed her slowly inside because she couldn't properly express herself in words.

"Unnie." said Bomi as she looked at her. Gazing into her eyes, it was far too obvious that the girl was spacing out.

"Unnie!" said the younger girl in a louder voice.

"Y-Yes?" 

"There you go again, getting carried with your thoughts. Let's not think about whatever is going on in your head right now and enjoy the moment. Eunji's going to stand on that stage and we have to support her with all our might!" said Bomi with a pout.

"Bom-ah.." 

"Unnie's right, I don't know what Eunji told you or anything but let's leave that thought aside first." said Hayoung as she peeked over, eavesdropping their conversation.

"Mm, let's cheer Eunji first." said Chorong with a smile as at that moment, an MC entered the stage as he announced that the recording has begun. With the entire hall packed with audience, cameras began to roll as judges went to their seats. It was fascinating for the girls to see celebrites up close, judges who were well-known singers and had lots of experience in the industry were here to evaluate over 1000 applicants who signed up.

One by one, candidates stood in front of the stage as they began showcasing their talents. It came in various forms, some sang a song, others danced while singing while a smaller majority had played instruments like a guitar or a piano to compliment their vocals. It was a singing program after all. It was interesting to see how there were just such a huge number of talented people out there, but it was a pity that only one winner will stand tall in the competition.

Two hours had passed since the recording session but it was still not Eunji's turn yet. The girls have gotten slightly tired and bored, they hoped that it was the girl's turn before evening fell as they were only allowed a small extended lunch break until 3pm. It was quite nerve-wrecking as there was a possibility of them having to leave without being there to support her.

"Ah, it's going to be 3pm soon. Our bosses aren't going to be happy if we're not back by then...." said Namjoo nervously as she stared at her phone.

"Unnie, i think I saw her through the curtain over there!" said Hayoung with sharp eyes, catching a glimpse of her sister hiding behind the stage.

"Oh, I think you're right! Unnie, wake up!" said Namjoo as her excitement returned, shaking a sleeping Naeun up.

With a sticker plastered on her oversized sweater written clearly in bold "419 JUNG EUNJI", the girl nervously walked around as she glanced at other candidates who were just as nervous as she was. It was almost her turn as the staff signalled her. Before she finally stepped on stage, makeup-artists did a check on her appearence making sure that she looked good in front of the camera.

"Oh my, your lipstick has smeared. Hold on, let me fix that real quick" instructed one of the make-up artists as they quickly got to work, fixing the minor parts. Eunji suddenly giggled as she realised what made it smear. It was her kiss with Chorong. 

"Alright, candidate 419 Jung Eunji! You're next." announced a staff as Eunji was guided onto the stage with the audience clapping for her. Nervousness numbed her body but her heart was full of confidence as she bravely stood in the centre of the stage, bowing. As she looked up, she could see familiar faces from afar and they were the noisiest from the crowd. 

"WOOHOO! JUNG EUNJI GO!" shouted Bomi.

"GOOD LUCK UNNIE!" shouted Namjoo.

"Gosh, you two are embarrassing!" said Chorong shyly as she covered her eyes, shy that everyone was looking at their direction.

"Thanks guys." mumbled Eunji to herself with a smile while taking a quick glance at Chorong. Relieved to see the girl there, Eunji was even more determined to make a good first impression. With a deep breath, she closed her eyes for a second and cleared her thoughts. Facing the judges, she bowed once again.

"Hello. I am candidate 419, Jung Eunji from Busan." said the girl as she tightly held onto her mic.

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

"Eunji has totally gotta be in the second round!" shouted Bomi in excitement as the five girls exited the SBS Building. Due to their work restrictions, they had to leave the moment after Eunji finished performing. 

"Did you see the judges? They were so into her performance!" said Namjoo joining Bomi.

"We'll only know the results next week when the first episode airs." said Naeun.

"But the recording won't finish until tonight right? I hope Eunji unnie's doing alright..." said Hayoung.

"I wonder if she ate lunch yet..." mumbled Chorong in worry.

"If you're that worried, why don't you text her now unnie? She's finished her performance and she's probably in the waiting room doing nothing." smirked Namjoo.

"No, don't text her. That's lame. Call her!" said Bomi as the two girls mischievously gathered around her, clearly obvious what their intentions were.

"W-Whatever, I don't have time. We all need to get back to work, that includes you too Bomi-ya." said Chorong.

"I don't have any schedules anymore. I'm going to have a date with Taejoon later." teased the younger girl.

"By the way, the three of us are going to have dinner later after work unnie. Sorry Chorong unnie, you're not invited." teased Namjoo as she pointed towards Naeun and Hayoung.

"It's okay, you girls should have fun since you're all still young. I still have a lot of work to do unlike you kids." said Chorong, unaffected.

Upon hearing her answer, the four girls glanced at each other with a smile as if it was something they had planned all along. 

"Alright, see you tommorow unnie! I'm heading off first!" said Bomi with a grin as she waved goodbye and disappeared into the afternoon crowd.

"I'll get going too. Maybe we can meet again someday." smiled Naeun as she too, left.

With the KBS workers returning back to their office, they rolled their eyes upon returning to their desks, seeing piles of paperwork ready to be done. Of course, wanting to sneak out of work for a couple more hours had it's own price to pay. But the girls didn't complain, they accepted their fate. It didn't matter as long as they were able to support Eunji on her first ever audition.

Like that, many hours passed by quickly as they engrossed themselves back to work. Typing away on their laptops like robots, constantly paying visits to the printer and going up several floors to hand in their documents, it was the same thing every day. Within a blink of an eye, the sun had already gone down. Scanning around the office floor, it was getting more emptier and was a signal to leave from work.

"Unnie, Hayoung and I are going first alright? You sure you don't want to join us?" asked Namjoo politely as she peeked into Chorong's cubicle.

"You said I'm not invited." said Chorong coldly, her eyes still staring at the laptop screen.

"I-It was a joke though?" laughed Namjoo nervously as her eyes wavered.

"It's okay, you girls have fun. I'm going to finish up the report." said Chorong as she looked at the girl with a smile. But it seemed like a threatening smile that spilled much fear onto the younger girl.

"H-Hayoung-ah, let's go." said Namjoo nervously as she pulled the maknae's arm along, wanting to escape the place quickly. She could already sense a chill down her spine. It was a bad idea to play jokes with her scary senior.

"Bye unnie! See you tommorow!" smiled Hayoung as she waved goodbye.

Soon, Chorong was left all alone at the office floor. As usual, she was the last staff that continued to work hard throughout the night, even skipping her meals. It was normal for the girl who lived alone and had nothing else in life besides, work. Even her co-workers thought that she was a workaholic but no one would have known that she was working so hard for only one reason. Her debts. She wanted to pay it off with her own sweat, not wanting to feel burdened by Eunji's help.

Rubbing her eyes that have been strained from the computer, she took a glance at the clock. It was 10pm.

"Oh my, it has been that long?" said the girl to herself, not even realising how fast time has passed. She didn't even notice that she was hungry either. Checking her phone, there were no new messages nor missed calls. For a moment, she was slightly disappointed. She had expected at least someone to text her. Someone like Eunji.

"No, she's probably still recording. Shows like that take a long time." thought the girl.

Packing up her things, she made sure that the lights were all switched off including the air conditioner that had been running for the past 24 hours. Walking out to the corridor, the girl wanted to take a toilet break before pressing the elevator button. Heading inside, it was slightly scary because she was the only one at the floor. Everyone had left and there was only silence. She didn't want to keep her thoughts occupied with unneccessary things as she entered a toilet cubicle on the far left. Her heart was beating uneasily, the silence in the toilet made her honestly, afraid.

It was at that moment, the lights suddenly went off. Everything was in pitch black darkness.

Taken by surprise, the girl screamed in her dolphin-like tone as she refused to open the door. Stuck inside the toilet cubicle afraid, it was at that moment where she remembered reading a notice from her email-box this morning. It was an announcement from the maintainence crew that electricity would be cut off from 10:30pm onwards for repair work.

"I'm an idiot. How could I forget that?!" thought Chorong as she closed her eyes tightly, not wanting to see anything in the pitch-black darkness. Stuck all alone in the female toilet, there was only one person she could turn to for help. She was too afraid to even step outside alone or even use the staircase to get out of the building. It was her only choice.

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

The Superstar K recording had finally finished after nearly 10 hours of recording. It was quite exhausting for the first-timer Eunji who was new to the whole entertainment industry but it was worth. She was satisfied with her performance today, even recieving applause from other candidates. She was also able to expand her social circle with the other contestants. But what was more important was that, there was a high chance of her advancing onto the second round. Bowing and saying goodbye to the staff and her newly-made friends, Eunji finally left the SBS building after a long day.

Checking her time, she wondered if Chorong was still working at this hour. She knew her far too well. There was no way that girl would already be back home in her comfortable bed. It was at that moment, she recieved a phone call.

"How concidental." said Eunji to herself with a smile as she saw who was calling her. It was Chorong.

"Hello? Unnie?" asnwered Eunji with a bright tone.

"Eunji-ya? Where are you?" asked Chorong with a trembling voice.

"Hm? What's wrong unnie?" said Eunji, already noticing that something was up.

"I forgot that they were going to do maintainence today...they cut off all the electricity and I'm stuck in the office in total darkness....I can't get out of here....I'm scared Eunji-ya..."

"Okay unnie, calm down. Tell me what floor you're at. I'll come get you immediately."

"7th floor...I'm inside the female's toilet...."

"Stay right there unnie. Don't move. I'm coming." said Eunji as she quickly hung up and ran straight to the KBS Building. It was already dark out and there wasn't much people on the streets. Upon entering the lobby, it was already pitch black. Using her phone as a flashlight, there wasn't anyone around. No one was at the counter either. How was she going to go past the gates? Simple. The girl simply ran and jumped across like it was nothing, ran past the lifts and entered the hollow stairwell. Looking up, it was seven flights of stairs.

"Looks like we're getting a good workout today, Eunji-ya." mumbled the girl to herself as she lightly massaged her legs, stretched her arms and proceeded to climb seven flights of steps at a controlled pace. Her thoughts were only on Chorong. What if she cries? What if she can't get out because she's too scared? What can I do? The girl knew that Chorong was a scaredy-cat and being scared of the dark was no surprise. Taking her breath slowly, she finally arrived at the seventh floor. Upon opening the door, she could not see a single thing. It was complete darkness.

Using only her phone as her source of light, the girl bravely shone it against the wall while walking at the corridor. It didn't take long before she found the female toilet after recognizing the sign. Carefully entering, there was only one closed toilet cubicle among the others. It was obvious that Chorong was hiding inside there. With a smile of relief, the girl wondered whether she should play a joke on her. It would be fun to suddenly make a noise as if there was ghost. It would also be fun to make random sounds. Just thinking about the older girl's reaction made Eunji smile brightly. But she knew she shouldn't do that. Otherwise, Chorong would beat her up with her Hapkido skills.

Standing in front of the closed cubicle, the girl gently knocked on the door.

"Unnie? Your saviour has arrived." 

"Don't scare me like that!" shouted Chorong. Just from hearing her trembling voice, the girl could tell that she was still absolutely afraid.

"Unnie, open the door. It's going to be alright."

"B-But what if I open the door, there's going to be something else out there. What if I see something in the mirror? What if its-"

"Calm down unnie. I'm here. Just relax." 

"I-I can't.."

"Unnie. Open the door and come into my arms. I'll cover your eyes so that you won't need to see anything." 

"Are you sure?"

"Trust me unnie." said Eunji as she spread her arms out wide, getting ready.

For awhile, there was moment of silence as Chorong tried to muster her courage. Within a count of three in her head, she quickly opened the door and threw herself onto Eunji, her eyes shut tight. Immediately, the younger girl wrapped her into her left arm while using her right hand to gently cover her eyes. She could still feel her body trembling in her embrace.

"Unnie, it's going to be alright." said Eunji in a calm manner.

"I-I'm scared Eunji-ya.." sniffed Chorong, showing signs that she did cry.

"You're crying?" the younger girl was surprised.

"S-Shut up.."

"I didn't say anything unnie." giggled Eunji as she decided to hold her hands while still using her right hand to cover her eyes. Never before had she felt the girl grip so tightly onto her arm. Carefully dragging her outside into the corridor, the next challenge was taking the stairs.

"Unnie...we have to climb seven flights of stairs down." 

"I-I can't....I might see something...I don't know...."

Eunji simply smiled as she looked at Chorong who continued to close her eyes tightly. She had never seen her like this before. In her eyes, she wasn't a girl who was older than her. Instead at this very moment, she felt like she was her dongsaeng. It was adorable as her heart continued to flutter.

"I guess I have no choice" said Eunji as she crouched down in front of Chorong.

"W-What are you doing Eunji-ya?" said Chorong, not knowing what she was doing as her eyes were closed shut.

"I'll carry you down. It's the only way." 

"But...."

"No buts. Just get on quick before I change my mind and leave you here all alone." joked Eunji.

Obediently, the older girl wrapped her arms around Eunji's neck as the younger girl carefully grabbed onto her short legs. Slowly climbing down the flights of stairs, there was only silence as all they could hear was Eunji's endless sounds of breath.

"I'm sorry Eunji-ya."

"For what?"

"You must be exhausted carrying me like that...if only I was not afraid of the dark...."

"I knew you'd say that. This is nothing at all unnie. You're as light as a feather."

"Lies"

Eunji could only laugh.

"Aren't you tired? The recording must've taken forever." said Chorong, who wanted to break the awkward silence and to somehow motivate Eunji to keep walking down the stairs so that she wouldn't falter.

"But it's okay, I met new friends."

"Wow, indeed you are a social butterfly. I wouldn't even dare to approach anyone."

"Bomi used to tell me that the two of us are polar opposites."

"Mm...it's true..."

"Unnie's cute when she's scared. Hmm..I wonder where did the girl who used to nag and scold me go?" teased Eunji. 

"Hey." hissed Chorong but instead, her stomach suddenly growled loudly.

Immediately, Eunji broke into a laughter till she had to hold the stair railing to contain herself.

"S-Shut up!" said the older girl embarrassed yet she couldn't do anything.

"Oh? Your eyes are open now." said Eunji as she quickly turned around to glance at the girl.

"They are......." said Chorong confused yet in a surprised state. She probably didn't notice because she was too focused into talking with the younger girl in the midst of her jokes.

"Are you sure you weren't lying when you said you were afraid of the dark?" teased Eunji as she carefully put Chorong back down.

"No....I...just......" 

"Ah, I know. You're only scared of the dark if you're alone."

"Mm...." nodded Chorong shyly, embarrassed to admit it.

"Since you seem perfectly fine now, let's go grab dinner." smiled Eunji as she pinched her shoulders, stretched her arms and grabbed the older girl's hand. Leading her down to the lowest floor, they were finally out of the KBS building that was filled in complete darkness. 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

Chorong followed Eunji's lead, not letting go of her hand as she enjoyed her warm touch. After all, there was no one out at the streets so she didn't feel shy to openly show skinship. Looking at the girl who still wore the same, exact pink cap, she wondered if it was her lucky cap or something. Scanning her from head to toe, it was always the same oversized sweater and sneakers fashion. It was indeed quite tomboyish and a complete constrast to her fashion style. But she noticed the small actions of Eunji constantly hitting her shoulders and back. She was worried that the girl may have over-exerted herself after carrying her for about five flights of stairs.

"Eunji-ya." said Chorong as she stopped her footsteps.

"Hm? What?" 

"Are you sure you're okay?" 

"Mm. I am."

"Lies." said Chorong as she gently placed her palm on her back, adding a small pressure. It was at that moment, she could see the Eunji's expression grimace a little as it was clear she was trying to hold in her pain.

"Wait here." instructed the girl as she went inside a pharmacy that was nearby. It didn't take long before she returned back, with an ointment in her palm.

"Unnie, I said it's fine." mumbled Eunji who sat at the empty bench.

"There's no one around, I'll do this real quick." said Chorong, ignoring the girl as she forcefully pulled the girl's sweater halfway, placed the ointment on her palm and gently rubbed it against her back. The younger girl shivered, feeling weird to have someone touch her back but her heart fluttered. She was thankful and touched that the girl noticed it so quickly. Was it too obvious? At times, she wasn't just an unnie but also like a mother. It did remind her of her own mom too, with all the nagging and sighs.

"It isn't much but it will give a momentary relief. If it continues to hurt, buy those back plasters that will help to heal it. If that doens't work, you really need to visit the doctor. Something might've went wrong inside." nagged Chorong.

"Yes mom."

"Eunji-ya."

"I know mom."

"I'm serious."

"I'm hungry." pouted Eunji.

A sigh escaped Chorong's mouth.

"Fine, let's go eat..." said Chorong, giving up.

The two soon arrived at a spicy rice cakes stall that operated till late midnight. Holding their cups drenched in hot sauce and rice cakes, Eunji brought Chorong to an empty playground as they sat on the swings and quietly ate their food. With the cool summer night winds blowing gently against their faces, it was quite a pleasant atmosphere with the peace and quiet of the usually busy city.

"You seem to know the best places to hang around Eunji-ya" said Chorong as she munched on her food.

"People call me an owl. I'm always chilling at these places to clear some thoughts."

"It just means that you can't sleep right?"

"True but also not true..."

"What's that supposed to mean?" said Chorong with a laugh.

"But unnie, that's not important right now." said the girl as she turned to look into her eyes.

"I'm still waiting for your answer" she continued while casually putting another rice cake into .

Chorong suddenly stopped chewing upon hearing her words as she gulped her own saliva in nervousness. She knew that it wouldn't be long till she could continue running away from it, but she wasn't expect it to be this soon.

 

 

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 9]

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: What would Chorong's answer be? To accept or reject? Do share your thoughts of what you think will happen next! Thank you for reading and subscribing, I will try to update as soon as I can~ :)