Chapter 3

Strangers

 

 

 

 

Chapter 3

 

 

All she could remember, was Chorong's face before everything turned into darkness.

 

But soon, she regained her consiousness. Waking up to feeling a sudden cold temperature, bright light that shone through the windows as she slowly opened her eyes to a sharp, ringing pain in her head, almost as if there was an arrow stabbed in between. Carefully moving her fingers and toes, she was relieved that her injury didn't seem to affect her nerves at all as it was quite obvious that she was sent to the hospital and stuck in this ward. She wanted to remember what had happened, the thugs, the fishcake stall and Chorong. That's right. Chorong. Where did that girl go? Is she alright? Surely she would be, otherwise who would've taken her to the hospital in such a state? Many thoughts went through her mind as she slightly tilted her head to the left side, only to see a girl sleeping with her head down, on the mattress. Just by one look, she smiled, knowing fully well who it was. Not wanting to wake her up, the girl stretched her arms to pick up her phone that was on the table, unlocking it to check the time and date.

It was 10am in the morning, about 14 hours had passed since she lost her conciousness. With her mind only wondering about Chorong, Eunji texted Chorong asking where she was and what she was doing. It was at that moment, the girl who slept started to move as she rose up, rubbing her eyes after realising that Eunji has woken up.

"Good morning Hayoung-ah." smiled Eunji. Immeditely hearing her voice, the younger girl hugged her tightly.

"What are you doing here and not going to work? Slacking off? It's just your second day and you're acting all high and mighty now gosh" teased Eunji as she caressed the girl's head.

"This isn't a time to joking unnie, you had me so worried! Why did you do that? You promised not to fight ever again since high school and yet you're still......you never listen to me..." pouted Hayoung as she let go and stared at her with crossed arms.

"Sorry Hayoung-ah, it just became like that. How did you know that I was admitted to the hospital?" asked Eunji.

"You called me but it wasn't you that picked up. It was another lady and she asked me to come here, saying that something happened to you. I came but no one was here so I had to settle everything with the doctors by myself. It was a good thing Naeun unnie was with me otherwise I would've had no idea what to do." sighed Hayoung as she rubbed her eyes, clearly evident that she did not sleep the whole night.

"Ah..so Naeun was with you.....I see....' said Eunji as she went quiet, wondering what Naeun would've felt, hearing that she was admitted to the hospital.

"She went back already because she has to work even on the weekends but I'm staying here since interns don't need to work extra anyways." said Hayoung.

"What's this?" asked Eunji, scanning the girl and noticing that she was holding onto a pink hankerchief.

"Ah, this? It was with you when I arrived. It's already washed and dried it because your blood was stained all over. Not sure who it is but I think it belongs to that lady. Do you know that lady?" questioned Hayoung back, knowing fully well that her sister always has the habit of keeping secrets from her.

"She's a friend. I think I'll go and meet her later." said Eunji, wanting to get out of bed.

"You can't go yet! You're not even fully healed yet!" said Hayoung, holding back her eager sister.

"I'm totally fine Hayoung-ah. This injury is nothing. It's not like I have memory loss or I can't move my body. There's no point of me staying here." said Eunji as she touched her head that was wrapped in bandage.

"Unnie, you have to listen to me! Why are so stubborn I can't even-"

Before Hayoung could even say anything else, Eunji's phone started to ring. It was as if everything stopped in that moment as the two girls stared at the phone. The name written on the screen was set as "Chorong unnie".

"Unnie who's that-"

"Hello?" said Eunji as she picked up with swift hands, quickly before Hayoung could even catch it.

"Eunji-ya?"

"Mm. Where are you?"

"I'll drop by after work around 1pm. Don't even think of getting out of that bed. Just be a good girl and listen to your sister for once, please. I gotta go now, bye." said Chorong as she hung up quickly, it wasn't even 10 seconds into the call as it ended.

Hearing the "beep" afterwards, the girl simply smiled and giggled to herself.

"She knew what I was going to do. Indeed, I can't seem to beat her." mumbled Eunji.

"Unnie." said Hayoung as she stared at her with her arms crossed.

"Alright, alright. I'll stay and be a good patient. Please take care of me Miss Oh Hayoung~" said Eunji with a smile as she went back to her bed.

"What? You're usually not like that unnie but fine....I'll go get the doctor. You better stay where you are otherwise I'll have to put chains over you." said Hayoung as she went out, searching for the doctor. She was slightly surprised at her sister's sudden change in behavior after the phone call. Just who had the power to stop her stubborn sister from doing reckless things? Even she herself, wasn't able to do so. Only her mother was able to knock some sense into Eunji. To think that there was someone else capable of doing so, it made the girl interested into just, who this lady was.

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

 

Meanwhile back at the KBS building, things were still as busy as ever despite it being the weekend. Although many staff members including Namjoo herself took a break on the weekends, there was never a time to rest for Park Chorong who is the writer for KBS programs. She was very dedicated to her work and kept herself busy, despite what happened last night. She had no time to rest or even take a moment to worry about Eunji, all that matters was keeping up with the constant deadlines demanded by her scary superiors. Staring at her desk that was full of papers and documents that held important scripts for upcoming projects, these held so much importance and value to the company. It was only right that she kept working in order to create new content for the public to enjoy. She gained happiness by knowing that people enjoyed her concepts and ideas that were crafted into programs but she never seemed to find true happiness in life. She thought getting a boyfriend would give her the answer, but instead it brought her pain instead.

"No, I shouldn't be thinking about these nonsense. I need to concentrate, finish this before 1pm and visit Eunji" thought Chorong, shaking her head, lightly slapping her chubby cheeks as she stared at her laptop, typing away. She too, had to ignore the fact of her wounds from last night. Bearing the pain while working, this was a challenge for the girl who has always lived a lonely life.

Throughout the hours, Chorong and other staff members worked silently in their individual cubicles as all you could hear was the monotonous typing that echoed the building. Time passed quickly as everyone was so concentrated in their work that it flew in a breeze. Just by one look at the clock, it was already 12:30pm. One by one, the staff members got off their desks, stretching their sore muscles as they went off for lunch break. Chorong too, closed her laptop, gathered her things and headed to the elevator, ready to visit Eunji at the hospital as promised. Heading outside of the KBS building where she could finally breathe in the fresh air of nature, the girl wondered whether to buy any snacks on the way. But as she took a peek into her wallet, it was just enough cash to get her a subway ticket to and from home. 

With a sigh, the girl was conflicted but soon, made a decision with optimistic thoughts.

"It's alright. There's no need for me to buy a train ticket back home. I should exercise and walk. It's healthy and since I'm always sitting in the office not taking in fresh air and letting my muscles go to waste." thought Chorong to herself as she entered a bakery, buying a few buns and pastries that were packaged nicely in a box. With that in her hand, the girl walked to the hospital that was nearby to visit Eunji.

As she took the lift to the third floor and walked to Eunji's ward, she could hear a boisterous laughter echoed the hallway. It was a very familar voice but she wasn't exactly sure who it was. Upon opening the door, she gasped.

"No way, I don't think gorillas are supposed to act like that. Shouldn't it walk like that and make sounds like this?" said the girl that perfectly imitated a gorilla, making Eunji and Hayoung laugh out loud.

"Stop it Bom-ah! Gosh, why are you so embarassing! You're wasting your time here, go back to work you fool!" laughed Eunji.

"Omo unnie, shouldn't you just be a comedian instead? Why are you working as an MC anyway?" laughed Hayoung.

"B-Bomi?" asked Chorong quietly and confused as she walked into the ward, causing all three girls to stare at her.

"Oh, Chorong unnie! You're here and you brought food! Yay!!" said Eunji with joy as she clapped.

"Unnie, do you know her?" asked Hayoung in surprise.

"Omg unnie! What are you doing here?!" said Bomi, absolutely happy to see Chorong as she hugged her and sneakily taking the box of pastries away from her hand.

"I came to visit Eunji but I wasn't expecting to find you here....at all...." said Chorong as she stared at Bomi with a confused look.

"Ah, cute. Hey, you didn't tell me that you knew Chorong unnie!" said Bomi as she smiled and turned to Eunji.

"What a small world we live in. Anyways, bring those pastries over here. I'm hungry." said Eunji as she stretched her body across and snatched the box from Bomi.

"Chorong unnie? Wait....why does that name sound familiar....?" mumbled Hayoung in thought.

"Hey, aren't you going to say thank you before you eat? I bought those with my money." said Chorong as she crossed her arms.

"Hehe, sorry unnie~ Thank you for the food~" grinned Eunji as she began digging in, along with Bomi who shoved two pieces of bread into . Hayoung too, took some and soon enough, everything was gone.

"Gosh, are you three a pack of hungry wolves or something?" sighed Chorong.

"Sorry, we're just hungry and poor." giggled Bomi.

"Poor my , Bom-ah." shrugged Chorong as she noticed the younger girl, Hayoung turning quiet in the corner. She could sense that Hayoung was staring at her while figuring out who she was.

"You're Hayoung right? I'm the one that called and don't be surprised, yes I am Park Chorong, the writer who works for KBS which is also the same company that you intern at. I sent Namjoo to become your senior and take care of you." smiled Chorong.

"W-W-WHAT?! S-Sorry, I didn't recognise! I'm Oh Hayoung, thank you for taking care of my sister last night. I didn't expect that it would be you who would help....sorry Chorong sunbaenim!" said Hayoung in surprise, immediately standing up and bowing 90-degrees.

"Sunbaenim? That sounds really weird to hear" laughed Bomi.

"Hey, shut up." whispered Chorong to Bomi.

"Don't need to be so formal. You can just address me as unnie, Hayoung-ah." smiled Chorong.

"Hayoung-ah, don't make that unnie angry or she'll kick you. She's probably better at martial arts than me." joked Eunji.

"Wow..." said Hayoung as she froze.

"Hey, don't make her scared Eunji-ya!" hissed Chorong as she lightly hit Eunji's shoulder.

"Omo, how can you hit a still recovering patient? Doctor! Doctor! There's someone trying to harass me!" joked Eunji.

"Oh my god, let me go get the doctor Eunji-ya!" said Bomi as she jokingly went to the door, joining in the fun.

"Hey, you two....." said Chorong as she glared at the two 93-liners. The girl had never imagined that these two would be so playful with each other. It was almost as if she was taking care of two children.

"Oh?" said Hayoung as she noticed someone outside. It was a familar figure.

"What is it Hayoung-ah?" said Eunji as everyone turned their attention to the younger girl.

"Hold on. I'll be right back." said Hayoung as she stood up and went outside.

 

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

 

Wondering who was it that made the younger girl leave the ward, this left the three girls alone as Bomi began to question Chorong and Eunji's relationship. It was puzzling as to how Chorong knew about Eunji and there were many questions left unanswered. Ignoring the fact that Hayoung left, Bomi was more intrigued by the behind-story.

"So, how did you two know each other. I'm seriously, really, really curious." said Bomi as she sat down, no longer acting as her playful self.

"It just happened. That's all. Since when did you knew Eunji? You two seem close..." asked Chorong.

"We go a long way, right Eunji-ya?" smiled Bomi.

"No, I don't know you. Do I know you?" joked Eunji.

"Hey~~~~" pouted Bomi.

"Alright, alright. Bomi and I knew each other  since we were kids. We practically grew up together, went to the same middle school, high school but got seperated after going to different colleges. But we still keep in pretty good touch, I don't even know why she's here. How on earth did this girl know that I'm in hospital is still a mystery to me." said Eunji.

"That's because I have so many friends, they're all keeping an eye on you." joked Bomi.

"Hey, I have many friends too. You want me to talk about how you farted in front of that famous-"

"SHUT UP!" said Bomi embarassed as she quickly covered Eunji's mouth.

"Oh my, you two are so noisy." giggled Chorong, watching the two. It was almost as if she was watching a comedic skit.

"Anyways, how did you and Eunji meet anyways? The two of you meeting is like a miracle happened between the north and south pole." asked Bomi.

"Omo, why would you say that?" asked Chorong.

"Eunji is a social butterfly and is always going to places because of her job, she meets a lot of people but you unnie, are always stuck in that boring cubicle in the office and you never go out of your house. Plus, you have to admit I'm your only friend unnie." said Bomi with confidence.

"S-Shut up Bom-ah..." mumbled Chorong, shyly but it was the truth. Her personality wasn't the type to be outgoing and have a good social life.

"That's why we are meant to be." said Eunji.

"Opposites attract, don't they?" smiled Eunji. Upon hearing those words, Chorong's heart started to beat rapidly. She wasn't sure what was going on, it was a feeling she had never felt before.

"You're right...oh my, unnie why is your face turning red?" laughed Bomi.

"S-Shut up! It's a little hot here that's all." stuttered Chorong, unsure what was happening to her.

"Anyways unnie, what happened last night? I know that those guys whacked something onto my head but did they run away after that?" asked Eunji, changing the topic as she realised that it was necessary because she understood how Chorong might've felt in that position. She was always looking out for her and knew when to speak and not to speak the right words. It was always something she had always done in secret, ever since she met her.

"I beat them up until they couldn't walk." said Chorong with a straight face.

"Wow....." said Bomi speechless as she clapped her hands. As her only friend, Bomi knew about Chorong's debts but she could do nothing to help because she too, was also financially unstable.

"But aren't they still going to come after you? We should find a way to end this quick." said Eunji in worry.

"It's okay. I'll be paying them next week as promised. That way, they won't disturb me anymore."

"What about next month then?" asked Eunji.

"....." The older girl turned silent. It was the first time she was cornered with a question that she could not answer.

"When that time comes, then only I'll think about it...." said Chorong quietly.

"That won't work. But at least it will give us more time to think of a solution. After all, we made a promise." smiled Eunji.

"Thank you Eunji-ya." smiled Chorong.

"HOLD UP!" shouted Bomi as she stopped the two, feeling left out in the conversation.

"Promise? Solution? What is going on? You two have something that I don't know. That's not fair!" pouted Bomi.

"It's not like you tell me what's going on with you and Taejoon right?" said Eunji.

"R-Right.....dammit Eunji...." said Bomi, losing to her friend verbally. Indeed, she could never beat her.

It was at moment, Hayoung came back as her eyes wavered. It was far too obvious that she was hiding something, a big flaw that the girl always had.

"Um...Chorong unnie, could you come outside for awhile?" asked Hayoung carefully in an awkward tone.

"Okay." said Chorong clearly suspicious that something was up. While heading out, she took a glance at Eunji and Bomi who nodded their head and stared at each other. With the older girl out, the two friends turned silent without her presence.

"But really Eunji-ya, what happened to you? You aren't the type to suddenly befriend a stranger." said Bomi.

"She's special. That's all." said Eunji with a smile.

"Hm...you sure?" said Bomi with a suspicious look.

"Yup." answered Eunji with a straight expression.

"Okay then, if that's the case let me tell you something about Chorong unnie since I've known her for so long."

"What is it Bom-ah?"

"The thing is....."

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

The older girl was lead out into the hallway, follwing behind the tall girl as she wondered what could be the reason to personally talk to her face-to-face. As someone who always worry over many things, she began to come up her own ideas wondering if Hayoung had troubles with her work, wanting to talk about Eunji or Bomi or something even more personal? There were just too many assumptions but Chorong figured that she should stop and simply, see what Hayoung wanted. Following her lead, the younger girl brought her to meet a lady who seemed very pretty up-close, had a slim ant-size waist and wore rather, expensive clothes. But the girl didn't want to judge someone based on their outer appearence.

"Chorong unnie, she's Naeun, my friend. She wanted to meet you." said Hayoung.

"Hi, nice to meet you Naeun-ssi. You...wanted to meet me?" asked Chorong in surprise as the two reached for a handshake. Indeed being up-close to Naeun, she had quite an aura around her. Anyone could tell that she was from a rich family.

"Yes, I'm sorry to suddenly meet you in person all of the sudden. I'm sure you must be taken aback but I'll explain this quickly. Could you do me a favour and pass this to Eunji unnie?" asked Naeun as she handed her a box of pastries. Just by one look at the logo, it was definitely from a very famous and expensive bakery. She was certainly on a different level. Chorong couldn't beat with the pastries that she had bought earlier.

"To Eunji unnie? But why? Are you in a rush? Or is it that you don't want to meet Eunji?" questioned Chorong as she figured that it was just weird. Why her? She could've asked Hayoung to do it instead.

"Unnie, could you just take it...please?" begged Hayoung. Looking at the maknae's eyes, Chorong could tell that she was serious.

"You're hiding something aren't you? Is it that difficult to explain?" asked Chorong carefully.

"....." There was only silence as the two girls avoided eye contact with the older girl. But Naeun felt that she could trust her. Just from one look upon meeting her, the girl knew from the start that she wasn't someone who would let secrets out. She was a girl who kept her promises. She was a little hesistant as Chorong was not letting go, staring at them as she waited for an answer. Clearly, the box of pastries will not be passed on until the truth was told.

"Unnie, it's okay if you don't want to say it..." whispered Hayoung.

"I can hear you." said Chorong.

"Uh..well..." said Hayoung with an awkward laughter, not sure what to do in this situation.

"It's okay Hayoung-ah. I'll tell you why I'm doing this although it's a little hard for me to explain but, please keep this a secret from Eunji unnie at all cost." 

"Deal." said Chorong.

"Eunji unnie and I have been friends for a very long time, we used to be close. Very close. But we suddenly grew apart. Eunji unnie started avoiding me, acting coldly towards me, all because I have a boyfriend now. But I knew why she was behaving like that." 

"You...knew?" 

"It was a little obvious since the beginning but I wanted to avoid the fact that it was true. I understand how she felt but at the same time, I didn't want to hurt her feelings...."

"Unnie...." said Hayoung, aware that Naeun found it difficult to express her words.

"It's okay Naeun-ah. Take it slow and steady." said Chorong with a gentle voice. In moments like these, she had a motherly aura around her and had to ability to comfort others, even strangers that she just met to calm their anxious hearts.

"Eunji unnie likes me."

"Isn't it normal to like someone?"

"Not as a friend but...as a girl...."

It was at that moment, Chorong's eyes widened. She wasn't sure how to accept over the fact that Eunji is a lesbian or the fact that she likes someone else. There was something weird in her heart that stung but she had to ignore these feelings. She figured that she was just getting sick after working late.

"I see...." said Chorong as her words got softer. She was still trying to grasp the information said by Naeun.

"I'm sorry but I don't think I'll be able to face Eunji unnie. Could you please give this to her and say that you bought it instead?" pleaded Naeun.

"But why choose me? Why not Hayoung or Bomi?" questioned Chorong.

"You two...seem close..."

"So you want me to take this and lie to her saying that I bought this? Then, what are you going to do next?"

"I'll just leave as if nothing...happened..." said Naeun as her voice got softer.

"But that's just running away Naeun-ah. If you keep doing that, the relationship between the two of you will never be fixed. Is this what you want?" asked Chorong. The two girls were taken aback as they turned silent. She spoke the truth. It was true that these actions were simply running away. All these time, Naeun has constantly tried to avoid Eunji the same way she was treated, hoping to never meet again even though at times, she would think about her occasionally and worry about what she is doing. It was, complicated.

"I..." Words can't seem to form as Naeun couldn't continue. She was right. 

"Girls are complicated beings aren't they? I want to help you Naeun-ah because what Eunji did is wrong. I don't get the reason why she should avoid you just because you have a boyfriend now. Ah, I should really give her a earful until her ear bleeds. How can she hurt a beautiful girl like you?" 

"Omo, unnie..." said Hayoung as she finally laughed.

"I should probably use my Hapkido and beat her up real good until she understands." joked Chorong.

"Thank you...unnie...." mumbled Naeun with a smile. She was grateful that Chorong understood the situation she was in and offered to help her. She was in such a difficult position that even Hayoung had a hard time, finding ways to piece their relationship back together.

"But Naeun-ah, to be honest, I understand how you must've felt." said Chorong as she looked down.

"What do you mean unnie?" asked Hayoung.

"I've been in that position before. Liking someone but knowing that she has a boyfriend, it hurts but I did not avoid her the way Eunji did. We were normal like how we used to be, friends who supported each other. Even though she has a boyfriend now, I see no reason why we should suddenly act cold to each other." confessed Chorong.

"You...liked someone before too? A girl...as well?" asked Naeun carefully.

"Mm...but I don't anymore. Or rather, I told myself not to fall in love again." said Chorong with a sad smile.

"Unnie, don't tell me that girl is..." said Hayoung, having an idea of who she is talking about.

"The girl that I used to love, she's in there. It's Bomi." confessed Chorong.

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

Back at the ward, the two 93-liners were engaged in a serious conversation that was rare. It was nothing made of nonsense or anything hilarious, it was purely a serious discussion over a personal problem.

"You seem pretty close to Chorong unnie and I think it's a really good thing. She looks happier being around you. " confessed Bomi.

"Why? Wasn't she always bright like that?" asked Eunji in surprise.

"Actually before Chorong unnie met you, she was really down and depressed. I don't know what happened to her. I thought maybe she was just having a bad day at work or she's on her period or something. It's really weird you know? She was totally fine but I noticed that she wasn't her usual self when I started dating Taejoon."

"Gosh, you fool." sighed Eunji, already knowing what the root of the problem was.

"W-What? Did you figure it out already?!" said Bomi with eyes wide open.

"Ah, I can't believe you can't even notice that. It's so obvious she's upset that you're dating!"

"Me?"

"Yes, you fool." 

"But...why?"

"Ah....this is so frustrating....I wonder how Chorong unnie keeps up being around with you." said Eunji again with a sigh as she placed her palm over her forehead.

"What is it Eunji-ya...tell me..." pouted Bomi.

'Hold up. I don't think it's right if I tell Bomi that Chorong unnie likes her otherwise their relationship might turn awkward. I should wait and tell Chorong unnie first before this fool realises it." thought Eunji to herself in that moment, wanting to protect both Chorong and Bomi's relationship. But for some reason, she felt slightly bitter to think that she liked someone else.

"Okay Bom-ah. Think carefully. Have you ever thought that Chorong unnie has been acting weirdly around you or just not being her usual self?" asked Eunji.

"Hm, she laughs at my jokes often and used to be pretty clingy. I mean, I'm okay with the skinship because I do the same thing with girls anyway. But, these days she stopped doing that. I also noticed she's more quieter and careful whenever I'm with Taejoon. What could be wrong?" pondered Bomi as she tried to think deeply to solve the mysterious case. The other girl who already figured out the answer felt confident that her friend would never be able to understand but she wanted to piece their relationship back together. It wasn't simply out of doing something good but because, she wanted to learn more about Chorong. She was curious about the true personality that Chorong had kept, hidden tightly inside her.

"That's why Bom-ah, we have to work together to solve this." 

"As in what?"

"You have to talk to Chorong unnie about this. But it's going to be difficult right? She's not the type to openly express her honest opinions."

"Wow, how did you know that? Didn't the two of you just met like recently? You already figured out her personality?" said Bomi, surprised at her analysis.

"Come on, I've met so many different people thanks to my job. This is a piece of cake. Anyways, I'll convince her. Let me do the dirty work."

"Huh?"

"What I'm saying is, you ask while I talk."

"As in?"

"I'm saying that I'll make her happy Bom-ah. I'll make her the happiest girl in the world so that she will never have any worries in her life. I'll build more confidence in herself so that she can be brave and freely express herself so that when the day comes, she will be able to answer your question with a breeze."

"Eunji-ya...." said Bomi with wide eyes. Wondering whether to ask her that question or not.

"What?"

"Do you....like Chorong unnie?"

The girl suddenly flinched upon hearing that question.

 

 

 

 

 

 

[ END OF CHAPTER 3 ]

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Things are starting to get complicated! What are the actual feelings of Chorong and Eunji? Will the broken relationships between those girls ever be fixed? Thank you for reading, subscribing and also upvoting! Do share your thoughts on this chapter as I will update as soon as I can! :)