Chapter 8

Strangers

 

 

 

Chapter 8

 

 

"I want Chorong unnie to be my girlfriend"

 

For a moment, almost a million thoughts went through the girl's mind. She couldn't possibly say no to that could she? It was a deal after all, she couldn't run away. But yet, she wondered why would she make such a choice over the many others such as choosing money or something more worth. Was she fooling around with her own feelings? She knew the cheeky Eunji well but at the same time, it was hard to tell whether she was serious from her straight expression. Does Eunji really love her more than just a friend?Even if it was genuine feelings, how would she able to accept the fact that Eunji is in love with her knowing fully well of her unsolved feelings for Naeun?

Surely she had only discovered recently that she was no longer in love with Bomi but yet, a chance was right there for her to catch. Should she take that moment before it's gone? Or should she take it slow and easy, rejecting her offer? Within those split seconds, it felt like it was the longest ever. But before Chorong could even answer, the younger girl was quicker.

"It's a joke unnie." said the younger girl as she broke into a laughter, finding it adorable to see Chorong's face turn red from the start.

"What do you think you're doing you idiot?!" thought Eunji to herself as she could immediately see the girl's expression change quickly from shock to annoyance, knowing that Chorong is probably tired of her fooling around so much.

"D-Don't randomly say things like that sheesh!" stuttered Chorong as she hit the girl, frustrated that Eunji played with her feelings like that. Everything she had thought in that very moment vanished immediately. That's right, there was no way the girl could've like her back. She wasn't her style. Whenever she compared herself to Naeun, it was on a whole different level. After all, love is painful and it was better to not get hurt by not telling how she felt towards her. It was better that way.

"I'll think about it unnie, I need some time since it's going to be a one time thing y'know?" said Eunji with a grin all over her face, certainly ecstatic upon Chorong's reactions. It had already spilled the answers that she had been looking for all along. She was confident now and had to wait for the right moment.

"Fine, please think of something logical and nothing made up of nonsense. Let's go, it's time for me to head back to Seoul." said the older girl with a sigh as she got up and headed back to the car slightly disappointed.

"If only she wasn't joking" 

The ride to the train station was a rather quiet one with only the sound of the radio filling the space. Eunji could feel a sense of awkwardness after her playful question and wondered whether it may have made the girl uncomfortable. Knowing fully well that it was her fault in the beginning, Eunji kept exchanging glances between the road and Chorong.

"Sorry unnie."

"What are you sorry for Eunji-ya?"

"I mean, for asking that question. It's a joke after all, sorry if I made you uncomfortable or anything"

"It's okay Eunji-ya, I know you're the type to joke all the time. At least, you're still slightly better than Bomi."

"Oh, really? How am I better than Bomi?" said Eunji as her face got brighter.

"You're not that annoying and you know when to stop."

"I see~" said Eunji as she started smiling from ear-to-ear.

"Why are you smiling like that for?" said Chorong as she broke into a laugh.

"It's good to know that unnie likes me better than Bomi." 

"W-What are you talking about? I like both of you equally." said Chorong, flustered at the girl's statement. Clearly, it seemed that it had a meaning behind it but the girl was too surprised to think about it.

"Aw, really? Okay then~" said Eunji with a pout as she focused on driving instead.

"What? Are you jealous?" giggled Chorong.

"I mean it makes sense, you've known Bomi longer than me and you even had feelings for her before. It's only right that she will still be first place in her heart right?" said Eunji, confidently saying whatever that was in her heart. She was tired of keeping it all in. She wanted to push and make it obvious for Chorong to realise enough, that she liked her in a very indirect manner. It was only simply because, it was more fun that way.

"But I don't have feelings for Bomi anymore. Whenever I see her with Taejoon these days, my heart doesn't hurt at all." confessed the girl.

"You should tell Bomi that, unnie."

"Why?"

"That girl is getting awkward around you after hearing the truth."

"I know. I should talk to her in private someday."

"I hope you can heal the relationship between the two of you unnie. Just like me and Naeun."

"But we're not as worse as you and Naeun" joked Chorong.

"Unnie!"

Although the ride to the train station was short, the two girls were able to break the awkwardness as laughter filled the air. It was certainly a rare moment where the two spent the whole day together and it was definitely a memory that will remain strongly in their hearts. Upon helping Chorong carry her luggage to the counter, it was time to part ways. Looking at each other, it was obvious that they didn't want to seperate because it would mean, this very moment of happiness will be gone and they will return to their normal lives. Even so, life had to continue like that with the hope of meeting again.

"Unnie, I'll call you when I'm going for the audition!" said Eunji as she saw the girl heading towards the gate that acted as a wall between them.

"I will. Text me when you're back in Seoul."

"Sure thing unnie, have a safe trip!"

"Good luck on your audition Eunji-ya!"

"I will, unnie!" said Eunji as she waved until Chorong disappeared into the crowd. Now, all alone by herself, a sigh escaped .

"Here we go, Jung Eunji. This is where the battle starts." mumbled the girl to herself as she went back to her car. Clearing her thoughts about her friends, her family and Chorong, she had to focus on one goal. She promised to herself that she will win the grand prize. With a will that burned strongly in her eyes, Eunji's "crazy" preparation for the audition began.

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

It had been two weeks since, but for the two, it felt like a year. They had been so busy and caught up in their own work that there wasn't even time to text each other. Chorong had become preoccupied with preparations for the upcoming drama that she had proposed earlier, being in charge as the main writer and managing how the whole storyline, script and characters fit was indeed, not easy task. Eunji on the other hand, returned to Seoul recently and registered her name for the Superstar K audition. Wanting to have no mistakes, she had met up with several friends that had musical background and worked hard for songs to showcase during her audition. It wasn't just these two, the other four girls were as well.

With the drama setting in at full speed, Namjoo who belonged to the PR department got busy in meetings, discussing and making up ideas in order to advertise and promote the drama well. She was in charge of visualising and capturing the audience's attention in various marketing methods while intern Oh Hayoung, acted as her assistant. The maknae may be young and still a college student who will graduate soon but she learns quickly. By quietly observing, the girl picks things quick and had no trouble catching up with the busy environment at the KBS office.

MC Yoon Bomi on the other hand started getting more offers to host various programs, mostly for comedic purposes as she had begun to gain more popularity due to her humour. Although at the same time, it was difficult to keep her dating life a secret. After all, it would've been a huge problem if the world found out that she was dating a rookie actor named Choi Tae Joon. With her popularity soaring slowly, Bomi had to keep a low profile which meant less obvious dates with the man she loved.

With summer arriving, it was the perfect season for more activities. This made fashion stylist, Son Naeun quite busy. Not only was she set to design outfits for fashion shows, she was tasked with the challenge of styling idol groups, singers and actors alike. Although it was quite a burden on her shoulder but it was a step higher in her career path. Of course, it also meant less dating time with her boyfriend Lee Taemin. Indeed, working while being in a relationship isn't an easy thing to keep up with.

All six girls were occupied with their own hectic lives but they never forgot about the important day. The day of Eunji's audition. No matter what, they had all agreed to be there for her even if it meant a stake of losing their own jobs.

 

 

[10th May, 12:15pm KBS Building] 

 

 

A groan escaped the girl's mouth as she stretched her arms out wide, massaging her shouders as she closed her laptop. 

"Aigoo unnie, if you keep doing that, you'll get more wrinkles." teased Hayoung as she popped into her cubicle with a giggle, followed by Namjoo. After spending more time with her seniors, the girl was no longer afraid nor the polite junior they knew. Her true side appeared and indeed she was very similar with her sister in terms of her savage ways.

"Hey, you wanna die?" replied the older girl with an evil smirk as she got up. "You two got here pretty fast" she continued.

"We're hungry unnie and we need to eat quick otherwise we'll be late." said Namjoo with a pout while rubbing her belly.

"Alright, let's go and eat you kids~" said Chorong in a motherly tone as the two girls cheered like small children. No one could even tell whether they were seniors and juniors, they looked like close friends who were very comfortable with each other. Indeed, one trip changes the relationship with everyone.

Heading down to the lower floor where the KBS cafeteria was, it's packed as usual. It was lunchtime after all, the offices were empty and everyone gathered to get the cheapest food. Of course, those who could afford would head outside to other restaurants that were slighty pricey. They had no time to choose anyway, the girls had to rush. With speed, they picked their food and landed themselves in luck by finding an empty table. Immediately, the girls ate away in silence as the time was ticking.

"By the way unnie, has Bomi talked to you yet?" asked Hayoung as if she knew something.

"Mm she did. Why? Don't tell me she told you that" said Chorong.

"What? Huh?" said Namjoo, lost.

"It's all cleared now, don't worry." said Chorong with a smile.

 

 

 

 

[FLASHBACK]

 

 

 

About a week earlier, Chorong recieved a text message from the person she had least expected from. Bomi. It was strange that she would personally text her despite her busy schedules lately. But the girl already had an idea what that message was supposed to mean. After all, Eunji had exposed everything to her best friend. It was only time before she had to face the fact instead of always running away. Opening the message, it was exactly what she figured.

"Unnie, are you free after work today? Let's meet at the usual restuarant. No, I'm not bringing Taejoon along today. I want to talk to you about something." - Bomi

"Even the way she types is so different from what she usually does." mumbled Chorong as the younger girl always put cute emoticons along her texts. It was clear that the girl was acting awkwardly around her.

"Okay, I'll meet you at 7pm. Don't be late." replied the older girl.

Staring back at her laptop in the midst of the quiet office floor, she wondered how she was going to say her thoughts. The fact that she used to have feelings for Bomi, the fact that she had fallen in love with her before, the fact that she is a lesbian. It was difficult for her to express herself in front of the girl whom she had known for such a long time. Certainly, she didn't want them to become strangers again. That would be the worst nightmare.

Getting off work after another tiring day, the girl said goodbye to her juniors and seniors as she left the office. Proceeding her steps towards the restaurant, she was surprised upon entering. Usually, Bomi would always be a late-comer but here she was, sitting at the table and patiently waiting for the girl.

"Unnie!" said Bomi as she waved to her, signalling where she was loudly.

"Stop it, people are looking at us!" whispered Chorong as she quickly pulled Bomi's hand down. Perhaps, some things do remain the same. The younger girl may act differently but she was still the same Yoon Bomi.

"Let's order something first unnie." said Bomi in an awkward tone, giving the menu to her.

"You don't usually do that Bom-ah." answered the older girl, knowing that she would always hog the menu to herself first. Since when was she so polite? It baffled the girl but yet, it was somehow funny.

"Ah, really?" she laughed nervously as her eyes wavered between the menu and Chorong.

With a quiet silence in the air, the girls scanned through the menu and soon called the waiter to place their orders. It wasn't long before they were left with an empty space in the table, the only thing they could do was look at each other.

"So, unnie..." started Bomi with a sigh.

"What? Is work too stressful?" asked the older girl, acting as if she had no idea what was wrong.

"Eunji told me everything."

Chorong waited for the girl to continue, her eyes fully on hers.

"You like me."

As always, Bomi was so bold and straight-forward with herself. Perhaps, these were the few reasons why Chorong fell in love. Her words did make her heart flutter but it wasn't as much when she was with Eunji. Was this what they would call, a change of heart?

"Used to. I loved you once Bom-ah." said Chorong, no longer wanting to run away. She wanted to be like Eunji, the girl who faced whatever challenges ahead confidently. It was only because of her, that she was able to talk out face front with Bomi. It was all thanks to her.

"Remember during our college days, we had a training camp for the martial arts class? We shared a bed together one night and honestly, my heart started beating like crazy. It wasn't just that, because you like skinship so much, you really had me there y'know. That's when I realised ah, I've fallen in love with a girl. I'm actually...a lesbian." she continued.

"Then why didn't you say anything unnie? You could've just let me know so that I wouldn't hurt your feelings further. Especially with Taejoon around...." said Bmi, slightly upset. But she knew that Chorong was a girl who kept her feelings bottled up inside. Hearing her confession itself was already something to applaud her for.

"I didn't want us to get awkward. Isn't it already obvious that you're acting so strangely around me?"

"As in how?"

"You're always late, you never give the menu to me first and you always put emoticons in your messages."

"Wow....unnie..." said the younger girl, surprised that she took note of her small habits. Maybe she really was in love with her. Rather than becoming uncomfortable, Bomi smiled. She was happy to know that she belonged to someone's heart once, even though she had no idea that it was just right in front of her. If only she had known sooner, maybe things would've been different.

"But it's already too late isn't it?" said Chorong, holding her own hands out of nervousness.

"Too late as in what?"

"We're going to be super awkward with each other now, aren't we? I mean, don't you feel weird that I used to have feelings for you?"

"Unnie, that doesn't matter anymore. I think I've come to understand something." said the girl with a smile as she boldly held the older girl's hand.

"I was only acting like this because I was afraid that you still have feelings for me, unnie. We are still friends, the past is just the past. I only want unnie to be happy." 

"Bomi-ya.."

"I want to ask you something unnie."

"What?"

"You said that you used to have feelings for me. That means that you don't anymore right? What happened in your heart? Something changed didn't it?" asked Bomi carefully, as she remembered Eunji's words. She wanted to confirm herself because of her weird hunch that Chorong is indeed in love with her same-aged friend.

"Remember when I said I would never fall in love again?"

Bomi simply nodded in response.

"It's making me go crazy Bom-ah. I can't believe I did it again."

"Unnie, you like Eunji don't you?"

Reluctantly, the older girl's eyes wavered but she could feel a warm, tight grip on her hands. It was telling her that it was okay. Rather than having an awkward relationship with her, Bomi decided to be her mental support. She knew her all too well and the most she could do, was to be there for her.

"Mm..I do..." nodded Chorong quietly, slightly blushing and embarrassed to admit the fact.

Upon hearing her answer, the younger girl grinned from ear to ear, elated upon the news.

 

 

 

 

[END OF FLASHBACK]

 

 

 

 

"So the two of you aren't awkward anymore right? Everything's been cut clean right?" asked Hayoung in a fast pace.

"Mm, why are you so thrilled to know about us?" nodded Chorong with a giggle.

"That's a relief, you have no idea how many times Bomi unnie was texting me about that" sighed the maknae with ease. Although there was more to just that, Hayoung had to keep her lips shut because she had to make sure everything had to go smoothly.

"Hurry up and eat, the audition will start soon" instructed the older girl as they had their plates spotless clean, headed downstairs to the lobby, tapped their cards and left the building. With Chorong leading the girls, they walked along the endless path crowded with pedestrians under the hot afternoon summer. Maintaining a small distance away from the older girl, Namjoo pulled Hayoung closer and whispered into her ear.

"Hey, there's something going on ain't it?"

"I haven't told you yet unnie, I think you're the last one to know."

"How could you do that to your loving unnie?" whispered Namjoo in shock as a pout formed in her lips.

"Sorry unnie~ actually, the reason Bomi unnie went to see Chorong unnie was to confirm her feelings for Eunji unnie."

"WHA-" Immediately, Hayoung quickly covered .

"What's with all the noise?" asked Chorong as she turned around.

"N-Nothing unnie! Continue walking, we'll be right behind!" smiled Hayoung as if nothing happened.

The older girl frowned her eyebrows suspiciously while continuing her footsteps. 

"The kids are acting weird today"

"So, what's the plan?" whispered Namjoo.

"There isn't really a plan. When we visit Eunji unnie backstage, we'll leave the two alone by themselves."

"That's all? Really?!" said Namjoo in disappointment. She has watched far too many dramas and had so much expectations of this "plan" they had instilled.

"Mm." nodded Hayoung.

"Whose plan is this? It's lame."

"Bomi unnie's."

"I knew it..." sighed Namjoo as she facepalmed herself.

"But I don't think this plan is even necessary at all." said Hayoung with confidence.

"Why do you think so?"

"Eunji unnie can handle this herself. She said to me, that she's going to confess to her today."

"OH MY-" With quick hands, Hayoung covered Namjoo's mouth again. The older girl at the front turned around with a suspicious look.

"It's nothing unnie, I just told Namjoo that there's a new restaurant opening nearby." smiled Hayoung awkwardly, making up a random lie on the spot.

"Uh huh..." mumbled Chorong as she turned back to her head to face the front. It was far too obvious something was going on, but the girl decided to pretend that she knew nothing. After all, it had to be Eunji's idea. She hadn't seen the girl the past two weeks and didn't even recieve a single message from her besides her, telling the group chat of her audition date which is today.

"What is Eunji planning on such an important day? She shouldn't be fooling around and focus on her audition" thought the girl as she crossed her arms.

Soon, the three girls arrived at the SBS Building that wasn't far from the KBS Building. Indeed, it was strange for staff members of KBS to be in the "rival" company. There was already a huge crowd lining up to enter the audition recording for SuperstarK. But they didn't need to follow the regular procedures, they could cut the queue because they already obtained special access earlier through their staff mates in KBS. As they got closer to the entrance packed with people lining up, they met up with Naeun who was patiently waiting for them. It was easy to recognize her because she was the only one who would dress herself in such expensive clothing, making the girl stand out the most.

"Unnie, did you wait long?" asked Hayoung, happy to see her as she grabbed her arm.

"Actually, I just arrived. Let's go." 

"Alright, just follow us. Bomi's already inside SBS, she just finished a recording for a programme." said Chorong as she lead the girls through the guards and SBS staff, showing them their identity cards that allowed them entry into the building while cutting the long queue. At times like these, they were glad to be working under a broadcasting company despite the stressful working conditions they had to endure. Walking past the hallway of the SBS Building, they soon entered a small waiting room with the label "MC Room Yoon Bomi" stuck onto the door. 

"Oh, you girls are here!" greeted Bomi with a bright grin upon seeing her friends. She introduced them to her managers, make-up artists and other staff who were in the room.

"Wow unnie, you look so different with all these clothes and makeup on.." said Namjoo, feeling awkward around her unnie's "new" appearence.

"Ah, I guess you don't see me on TV often huh?"

"We're too busy that we can't watch the TV Bom-ah." said Chorong.

"Ah....anyways, don't you wanna meet Eunji?" asked Bomi with a grin.

"We shouldn't disturb her now. She needs to prepare for the show later, we'll only make her more nervous." said Chorong.

"Unnie, don't be like that. I'm sure Eunji unnie wants to see you before the big show." said Hayoung with a pout.

"...." The girl went silent. She wasn't sure what to feel. Her heart thumped upon the thought of seeing her again but yet, she didn't want to distract her. It was a very important day after all.

"Unnie, follow me. I'll bring her to you." said Bomi, boldy holding her hand and dragging her out. This left the other three to wait for them in the waiting room.

"W-Wait, Bom-ah!" stuttered Chorong as she couldn't stop the younger girl as they went to a seperate hallway. The younger girl ignored her as she knocked on the door three times, before opening it. With a cheeky grin plastered on her face, Bomi quickly pushed Chorong into the room and closed the door immediately, before running back into her waiting room. At times like this, she seemed like a small kid who liked to play around.

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

Flustered at the door shutting behind her, all the girl could see was someone in a pink cap sitting in front of the makeup table. There was no one else in the room except for her. It was suspicious, as there should be staff members inside but there was only a sole girl besides her alone.

"Gosh this Yoon Bomi" sighed Chorong with a mumble as she took careful steps in front, where she could see the girl smile in the reflection.

"It's been awhile Chorong unnie." smiled Eunji as she turned around, happy to see the girl in front of her eyes.

"Are you nervous Eunji-ya?" asked Chorong.

"Why didn't you text me back?" 

"A little but I'll be fine, don't worry unnie." said Eunji as she got up from her seat, walking nearer to the girl.

"I missed you"

"I see..I should head back. You need time to prepare yourself and I don't want to get in your way." said Chorong as she nervously reached for the door but instead, Eunji's hand held onto her wrist.

"Don't go unnie."

The older girl looked at her, Eunji was so close that it made her heart beat like crazy. But she tried not to show it. As the two momentarily stared into each other's eyes, all they could feel was the dead drop silence in the waiting room. It was just them after all, and no one else to disturb their privacy.

"I wanted to tell you something before I go for the audition unnie. It's something really important." said Eunji as she reached for the doorknob and turned it, making it lock so that no one can enter.

"What's so important that you need to speak to me in private?" asked Chorong.

"For these past two weeks while I was going around Seoul and training, singing songs and making music by myself, I realised something."

The older girl looked at her and waited for her to continue.

"I don't want to have anymore regrets in life. I want to start fresh. Once I step onto that stage out there, it's going to be a different life for me, unnie."

"Of course, you're going to appear on TV and that's no different to becoming a celebrity Eunji-ya."

"I didn't mean that unnie."

"Then, what?" asked Chorong as she furrowed her eyebrows.

The girl simply smiled, finding her reactions adorable. 

"Why are you smiling now?" asked Chorong confused.

"It's cute that's why."

"Don't say that."

"I will. I'm going to make unnie's heart flutter even more." said Eunji with a smirk, walking nearer to the girl.

"W-W-What?" stuttered Chorong as she took small steps backwards, nervous as her heart pounded loudly. It was to the point where she had her back against the wall, she could no longer run away anymore. She had no idea what the younger girl was planning. 

"After this, feel free to hit me or nag at me. I don't care anymore." said Eunji with a smile as she placed her face in front of Chorong's.

"W-What are you doing Eunji-ya?" stuttered Chorong nervously.

"I can't hold myself anymore unnie." said Eunji as she headed on first, swiftly proceeding to lock her lips onto Chorong while using her left hand to tightly hold onto Chorong so that she wouldn't move as her right hand gently wrapped around her waist. It wasn't just a peck on the lips, it was much deeper than that. The older girl wasn't sure how to react to such a kiss, that seemed so aggressive yet gentle at the same time.

 

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 8]

 

 

 

 

A/N: That's a bold move Eunji! You thought she was going to confess but instead, she completes that with a kiss. Do share your thoughts of what you think will happen next with the audition! Thank you for reading and subscribing! I will try to update as soon as I can!