Chapter 7

Strangers

 

 

 

Chapter 7

 

 

 

Completely taken aback by the situation, Eunji stared blankly at the girl who was now asleep in her arms, their lips still touching each other as all she could hear was the sound of her heart beating loudly. For some reason, it was comfortable just hugging her in such a position but the problem was the lips. It was making her crazy. Deeply in her unconcious state, she wanted to open her lips and kiss her for real. But it was then, she knew this wasn't right. She was still sane enough to make the right decision.

Quickly, Eunji stood up, removing her lips from Chorong as she still held the asleep, drunken girl in her arms, wiping with her sleeve while taking a deep breath.

"This unnie is seriously making me go crazy" mumbled Eunji to herself with a sigh as she got up, used all her might to carry Chorong to the bed and gently tucked her in. Watching the older girl sleep soundly in the comfy bed, Eunji couldn't help but to smile knowing that her unnie seemed to be enjoying a rather good dream. Taking a glance at the clock, it was 2am. The night is still young. Wearing her pink cap, the girl turned off all the lights in the apartment and went out for a stroll. She needed the fresh air to clear her thoughts that spread crazily in her mind. She needed time to understand her true feelings.

Walking all the way to the Haeundae Beach in the middle of dawn where not a single soul could be seen, it was the perfect place for the girl to invest herself in deep thought. Sitting on the sandy floor while observing the waves crash onto the shore, she wondered how her life would continue from here. It was her own decision after all, to take up the audition and become an actual singer just for the money. She was doing it all for Chorong. But, why? She was just a stranger that she had  coincidentally met. In fact, it was her own action to help her back then and in the end, fate brought them back together. Whenever she thought about Chorong, she felt happy. A happiness that filled the empty void of her heart when it was broke into pieces by losing her first love, Son Naeun. It can't be possible. 

"I'm falling in love again?" mumbled Eunji to herself, deducting her feelings into a final answer. She had felt this before, with Naeun. It's exactly the same. She's in love, again. Realising it, instead of being relieved, she was afraid. Experiencing the pains of falling in love was already a huge scar in her heart, she had promised herself to never fall in love again. She also knew fully well that Chorong had the same thought as her. The two had suffered the heartbreaks of love that they vowed to never be in that position again. She was afraid of getting rejected. Of course, she was brave to openly confess her feelings to Chorong but the thought of being rejected had always been a trauma after experiencing something similar with Naeun.

"That's right, this stupid body of mine is just finding a way to replace my pain. By making me forget about Naeun, Chorong unnie came into my heart. Ugh, Eunji you're really something. You're really a fool." said the girl in frustration, confused and conflicted. Why does love have to be so complicated? She had told herself so many times that she will never fall in love again but yet, she fell for the same trap twice. As Chorong entered into her head, she remembered her laugh, her smile, her cute little moments and also moments that made the girl admire her. Everything from her personality and anything else, it was a perfect example of someone that Eunji wanted to become. But instead of admiring her as a role-model, she fell in love.

"No. Chorong unnie probably doesn't even know that she kissed me. Yes, let's pretend none of this happened. Let's just focus on one thing at a time. That's right, I should focus on my audition. Even if I'm really in love with unnie, I'll let this slide as a one-sided love. I'll never let her know that I'm in love with her. No way Eunji. You can't do this." mumbled Eunji in a dazed state as she finally came to a conclusion.

With a sigh escaping , the girl frowned. Was this the decision that she really wanted? She wasn't just doing this for herself, she was also doing it to protect Chorong. 

At a lost, the girl decided to take out her phone and dialled someone whom she could shoulder her worries to and figure something out. Who could possibly be awake at this hour?

"Good morning~" said Eunji with a cheerful tone.

"Goddammit Eunji-ya it's friggin 3am why in the world are you calling me?" mumbled Bomi slightly angry.

"Sorry, sorry but could you hear me out for a bit?"

"Sure, what's up? You don't usually call me up for these kind of conversations" said Bomi as she yawned.

"It's about Chorong unnie."

"Hm? Her again? Hey, I think these days, most of our conversations are 80% about Chorong unnie don't you think so? Eunji-ya...are you..."

"I figured it out. It's true."

"Wow...congratulations Eunji-ya that's great although I don't sound very happy but it's because you woke me up in the middle of the night so yea"

"It's okay. But I wanted to tell you something about Chorong. Because you're an idiot, you obviously would have no idea that Chorong was feeling that way."

"Huh? What do you mean Eunji-ya?"

"Remember when you said that Chorong had been behaving really weirdly the moment you had a boyfriend? Why do you think so?"

"I can't answer that question, I'm too sleepy to think"

"It's because she loves you, you fool..."

"......."

There was a moment of silence as Bomi tried to understand what those words really meant.

"Why are you telling me this now Eunji-ya? You were hiding this all along from me so why tell me this secret now? Now it's going to be awkward between me and Rong unnie."

"Sorry, I just wanted to confirm something."

"What? To see that I like her too? I mean, if you put it that way, I do like her as an unnie. She treats me well like a sister but if you're talking about romantic feelings...not that I'm saying it's wrong for a girl to like another girl it's just-"

"That's why Bom-ah."

"What?"

"How was Chorong unnie like today? During the whole trip on the way to Busan and onwards, how was she acting like? Did you notice any difference?"

"She was a little angry because you went missing but the moment she found you, her face became a hell lot brighter. Heck, I wonder whether she was on a period or something, her mood changes so quickly. She's also got more talkative with you around. Oh wait...." said Bomi, somehow figuring out something.

"That's the point Bom-ah! Thanks! I'm hanging up now" said Eunji, finally getting the answer she had been searching for.

"W-Wait, what am I supposed to do now Eunji-ya?"

"What?"

"What am I supposed to do with the fact that Chorong unnie has romantic feelings for me?"

"Solve it yourself."

"Hey, you pulled me into this situation!"

"Good night! Oh and Chorong's staying over so you don't need to worry about her. I'll take care of it." said Eunji with a laugh as she hung up.

With her confidence back, she was sure that Chorong had feelings for her too. But it wouldn't be fun to just directly ask her wouldn't it? That isn't Jung Eunji's style. As a cheeky grin lit her face, Eunji had a plan to confirm whether Chorong really liked her. If it really was true, she had nothing to lose. Her wounds of falling in love was simply because it was one-sided and she had suffered the pain of seeing the one she loved belonging to the heart of another. But if Chorong's heart is tied with hers, there is nothing to be scared of.

"Here we go Eunji-ya. Don't make any regrets now." 

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

The next morning had arrived and the older girl who fell asleep after consuming much alcohol woke up to the sunlight shining against her face that pierced through the window. She couldn't exactly remember what happened last night, only knowing that she drank a few drinks while talking with Eunji before everything went blank. Feeling herself in bed, she knew that Eunji must've put her to bed. But it was then reality had finally struck her, she was supposed to return back to where the four other kids were.

"Crap!" said Chorong as she got up from the bed only to feel something heavy on her feet. To her surprise, Eunji's head was tucked in between as her body was upside down, slanted as her left leg was hanging up high in the air. Clearly, she wasn't a peaceful sleeper as it looked like she just had a war in her sleep. Almost breaking into her dolphin scream, Chorong quickly covered as she looked at the asleep girl that had open. A quiet giggle escaped from the older girl as she carefully pulled Eunji back to her sleeping position. After all, the bed was a king size and had plently of space for two people to sleep in. But it was then, a thought suddenly struck the girl's mind.

"Wait a minute...don't tell me....Eunji and I slept together?! In that bed?!" wondered Chorong as her face started to turn red just by the thought of it. 

"S-She wasn't drunk too right? She didn't do anything to me while I was sleeping right?!" thought the girl as she quickly touched herself. Nothing unusual happened last night, she is definitely still wearing the same clothes she wore. 

"I must be going crazy, why am I getting so surprised over sleeping with a girl." 

Wanting to calm her exciting heart, the girl got out of bed, headed to the kitchen, poured a glass of water and gulped it down. With a sigh escaping , worries that she had washed away from last night began to build up again as she wondered if the kids had woken up or are well-fed. She was worried that they would wait for her before leaving back after taking a glance at the time. She proceeded to take her phone and sent a message to the person she could trust the most, Bomi.

"Leave to Seoul without me. You will miss your train. I'll ask Eunji to drop me by her house to get my luggage. Take care of the kids for me."

It didn't even take a minute to receive a reply from her.

"Good morning unnie~ Did you have a good rest? Don't worry, we are already on the way to the train station. Eunji told me already~ see you soon back in Seoul ^^ " - Bomi

"What's with her, she's messaging so awkwardly" laughed Chorong as she looked at her phone.

"You seem to be in a good mood today unnie" mumbled Eunji, waking up to the girl's laughter.

"Ah, sorry did I wake you up?"

"You should be honoured unnie. It's actually very difficult to wake me up but here I am." said Eunji with a sleepy smile as she sluggishly got up from her bed, walking towards Chorong.

"Go back to sleep, you look like you didn't had enough sleep at all. You were still awake while I passed out didn't you?"

"Indeed, I can't hide things from unnie."

"I......didn't speak any weird things right?" said Chorong staring at the girl. Just from her look, it was obvious that she had completely no memory of what happened last night. It also meant that she clearly had no idea about the kiss.

"Maybe you did, maybe you didn't" teased Eunji.

"Hey...tell me"

"Anyways, you need to collect your luggage from my house right? I'll drive you there and then I'll get you back home safely in Seoul."

"It's okay, I can take the train. You driving from Busan to Seoul, that's a really long ride. I don't want you to tire yourself."

"What? You don't trust me, the taxi driver?"

"No, I didn't mean it in that way..."

"Then instead, lend me some of your time." said Eunji as her expression suddenly turned serious.

"Hm? What's gotten into you all of the sudden?"

"I mean, starting from now we're going to be pretty busy right? You have your own job and I'll be practicing for the audition. We won't have much time to spend together." said Eunji being very direct with her feelings. She was more straight-forward today after her resolution last night. It was all part of her plan to confirm Chorong's true feelings. It is all an act.

"Why? Do you miss me?" asked Chorong with a smile.

"Yes." answered Eunji boldly. 

Slightly taken aback by the girl's words, Chorong's face began to grow red once again. There was a momentary silence in the apartment building as Eunji just looked at her with a grin. Just by observing Chorong's expression, it was already an answer for her heart.

"S-Stop looking at me like that!" stuttered Chorong, not sure what words to say.

"Anyways, it's Sunday so how about after getting your luggage, we can grab breakfast and I can show you around Busan before I drop you at the train station?" said Eunji as she proceeded to take something out of the cupboards and gave the girl some toiletries for her to clean herself.

"Fine...it's been awhile since I had an actual vacation anyway..." mumbled Chorong, agreeing into the plan.

"Feel free to use the toilet. I'll use it after you unnie." said Eunji as she casually pulled her shirt upwards, wanting to change into something comfortable.

"W-W-WHY ARE YOU STRIPPING IN FRONT OF ME?!" screamed Chorong in a dolphin-like tone as she covered her eyes and quickly pushed Eunji towards the wall.

"What? Is there something wrong with that?!" said Eunji taken aback as she laughed. She had never seen the girl behave like that before. Was she such a conservative girl?

"J-J-Just change in the toilet! Don't change it in front of me! I don't want to see you !" said Chorong as she hurriedly pushed the girl into the toilet and slammed the door afterwards. Her face was already much redder than before and her heart pounded loudly, she needed a moment to take in such a shocking situation.

"Unnie, I always change in front of others. I do it with Hayoung too!" said Eunji as she changed her clothes in the toilet.

"It's because she's your sister!" replied Chorong, deciding to organize her things to keep her mind distracted.

"Bomi does the same too! Naeun's also totally fine with changing with me!"

"B-Because you knew them for a long time! Just hurry up and change, I want to use the toilet." 

"Yes unnie~" replied Eunji as she hurried. With a laugh escaping , she found it adorable at how pure and conservative Chorong was. To think that she would get so shy over someone stripping in front of her, fluttered her heart. It was making her crazy but she had to conceal her feelings. She had to bottle it all in and wait for the right timing. It was all a game of patience.

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

About thirty minutes later, the two girls were ready as Eunji proceeded to bring her to a car tucked at an abandoned garage not far from the apartment building. Lifting the sheet that covered the car and turning the engine, it seemed that it had been a long time since the car was used.

"Hey, are you sure it's your car? It looks like you're stealing it" said Chorong slightly suspicious as she looked around.

"It's my friend's. Come on, I'll take you to my favourite restaurant." said Eunji, signalling the girl to enter.

"Are you sure I can trust your driving?" joked Chorong as she wore her seatbelt.

"Unnie, you're talking to a taxi driver. What do you think?" smiled Eunji.

"If that's the case, do I have to pay for this ride?" continued Chorong with her joke.

"Sure, you can pay it with a ki-" the girl suddenly paused as she realised that her true thoughts almost spilled from .

"Hm?" 

"I mean, it's free because it's unnie that's sitting today." 

"Gosh, you and your cringy words again. Hurry up I'm hungry." said Chorong with a speechless sigh.

"Roger that madam" said Eunji with a laugh as she pulled the handbrake downwards and started to drive.

As the car journey began, the two drove along a small highway as they proceeded to a restaurant highly recommended by the pink-cap girl.

"Hey, don't drive too fast."

"Yes unnie." said Eunji as she lowered her speed.

"Hey, why do you keep changing lanes? You're going to inconvenience others."

"Yes unnie." said Eunji as she stuck to one lane.

Noticing the younger girl obeying her orders, Chorong suddenly broke into a laughter.

"What?" asked Eunji.

"Nothing. Keep driving." smiled Chorong as she didn't want to tell her that she looked cute. She was indeed like an obedient puppy that followed her master's orders without any objection. Never before had she seen such a dongsaeng who had such proper manners.

Soon, the girls reached a quiant restuarant tucked in between two busy markets in the early afternoon, packed with crowds as they managed to get a small table squeezed in the corner. Just by the look, anyone could tell it was a popular location loved by locals.

"Ahjumma, two bowls of kalguksu noodles please!" shouted Eunji as the aunt gave a warm smile while signalling an "okay" sign. It looks like Eunji is a frequent customer to the point of being very comfortable with the staff.

"You come here all the time?" asked Chorong as she picked out chopsticks for Eunji and herself, neatly laying it on the table.

"I grew up eating these noodles unnie. Here, let me help you." said Eunji, noticing her actions as she wanted to take the chopsticks herself.

"She really has good manners. As expected of unnie" thought Eunji.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" asked Chorong.

"Actually unnie, you're really different compared to the many people that I have met."

"Really? How different? Is it a good or a bad thing?"

"It's a good thing, don't worry." said Eunji with a giggle.

"You sure?" said Chorong as her eyebrows scrunched up in suspicion.

"I'm serious!" laughed Eunji, finding her expression adorable.

"Never before had I met an unnie who is wise, has good manners and is 100% conservative. Unnie, you're not a monk right?" teased Eunji.

"Hey, say that again." said Chorong with a creepy grin painted across her face as she held her chopsticks tightly, as if wanting to beat her up with it.

"But really unnie I'm serious, you're a very humble person. I never told you this before but I want to become like you."

"Really?"

"Mm." said Eunji as she nodded her head with a pout.

"Thanks...Eunji-ya.." said Chorong as her voice got softer, unsure what to respond. Coincidentally at that moment, the noodles were served as they immediately started to eat. With only the sound of them slurping their noodles, there was only silence after that. Eunji who took a glance at her unnie whose face became red again, she suddenly laughed.

"What? Why are you laughing again?!" said Chorong in a whiney tone.

"No it's just that your face got red for like the fifth time today. It's cute unnie." giggled Eunji as she proceeded to slurp her noodles.

"Good, even though I'm old, I can still be young by being cute" smirked Chorong.

"Oh yeah I forgot that you're turning 27 soon."

"Hey, don't remind me."

"Right, sorry unnie." laughed Eunji as the two continued to eat their noodles.

After the fulfilling meal, the girls went back to the car and drove to Eunji's house that wasn't far from the place. Parking the car at the opposite of her own house, Eunji cooly took out her own house keys and went to the gate, unlocking it.

"Hey, you have your own keys so why don't you just sleep at your own house?" 

"Let's just say if I do, mom's gonna start nagging at me again. At this hour, my mom's working so no one's at home. I know where my mum usually keep the luggages so just head in and chill around." said Eunji as she tossed her shoes and went into a room.

"Hey, don't just throw your shoes like that." mumbled Chorong as she went to place her shoes properly while taking hers off. She hadn't had time to fully explore the house that Eunji and Hayoung grew up in. Looking around, it was full of picture frames hanging everywhere. It was clear that they were daughters loved dearly by their parents.

"Eunji-ya!"

"What?" answered Eunji from across the room as she searched for Chorong's luggage.

"Where did your father go?"

"Oh, he's working overseas."

"I see...." said Chorong as she picked up a picture frame that had an adorable little girl with two ponytails tied while wearing a bright pink dress. 

"Omo..." mumbled the girl as she smiled. Sneakily taking out her phone, she took a picture of it and giggled. There will never be another chance where she will ever see Eunji wearing something so feminine. She had to save it.

"Unnie, why are you laughing? Anyways, I've got your luggage so let's go." said Eunji as she came out of the room.

"This is you isn't it? You're so cute." said Chorong as she showed the picture to the girl.

"D..Don't look at that...Let's go unnie...." said Eunji as her voice got softer, taking the frame away from her hands and placed it back to it's original position before quickly walking back to the car.

"One day I should really force Eunji to wear either a skirt or a dress. She will look so pretty in it." thought the older girl to herself as she too, walked back.

With the luggage in the boot and their stomachs filled, it would be perfect to send Chorong to the train station so that she can return to Seoul safely. But the girl remembered that Eunji wanted to spend time with her, knowing that they will soon be very busy in their own work that it will be rare to even have a moment to talk to each other. The two girls who sat in the car with only silence as they waited for the engine to warm up.

"So where are we going Eunji-ya?"

"I'm going to take you to a place where you can take away all your worries."

"I don't have any worries."

"Don't lie."

"I'm not."

"Aigoo unnie, you said so many things last night while you were drunk, you don't need to hide it anymore."

"Hey."

"What?"

"You said that I didn't say anything weird last night."

"Crap."

"Hey Jung Eunji"

"What was that? Did I hear something?" said Eunji with a nervous laugh as she suddenly turned the radio and put it to the highest volume, wore her seatbelt in a flash and started driving while teasing the older girl.

"Gosh.." sighed Chorong, giving up on the girl's antics as they soon drove to Haeundae Beach.

 

 

 

 

 

~X~

 

 

 

 

Within a short drive, the girls arrived at the beach that seemed less crowded despite it being the weekend. Indeed, the Busan home girl knew the right timings. Following her steps, they found an empty space and sat side by side on the sandy floor, observing the ocean waves crashing the shores across. They were in a safe distance as they also observed children playing and building small sandcastles. As the two became immersed into thoughts while staring towards the bright, blue sky over the horizon, it did seem like a perfect place to clear their mind.

Stealing a glance at her unnie, Eunji wondered what she was thinking about. After all, Chorong was a girl of many thoughts. You can't really tell what's on her mind because there's just too many things going on at once.

"Unnie." 

"Hm?"

"Seems like you were thinking a lot of things."

"Yeah, it's my first time in awhile visiting the beach and it's an escape away from my busy life back in Seoul."

"Guess I brought you to the right place." said Eunji with a smile, hoping that she would feel better.

But instead, another sigh escaped the older girl's mouth.

"Unnie, if you keep sighing, it will only make you older."

"I know."

"Unnie." said Eunji as she turned her head and looked at her with a serious expression.

"What?"

"Everytime you say that you're fine, I know you really aren't. You bottle up your worries inside and you never tell what you truly feel. It's because of that, you get stressed so easily. Unnie, just lend your shoulder to me. Let me listen what's going on in your mind. Let it all out. It will make you better."

"Bomi told you didn't she?" said Chorong with her sharp instincts.

"Ah....crap...." said Eunji as she figured that she would get caught eventually. No matter how, she can never win her. Before meeting Chorong, she thought that she was the best. But she was wrong. 

"I knew it. You think I didn't notice you looking at me?" said Chorong with a smile.

"You knew that too?! Crap..." said Eunji with a speechless laugh, slightly embarrassed that she's been caught that easily.

"You and Bomi are really similar. It's easy for me to catch on so don't think you can sneakily do things behind my back."

"Yes madam." teased Eunji.

"Bomi told you this didn't she? She's worried about me right?"

"Unnie..."

"Bomi's terrible at lying. But it's honestly my fault for suddenly making my relationship with her awkward. What could I do with the girl I used to have feelings who is dating someone else that she truly loves?"

"Don't tell me, you knew that Bomi told me about your secret feelings for her too?!" said Eunji, slightly surprised and also scared at the same time, knowing that Chorong knew about this all along.

"You can't hide anything from me Eunji-ya."

"Then you shouldn't hide anything from me too."

"...." The girl went silent. It made sense because it wasn't fair that Chorong always found out what Eunji was doing but always keep her own secrets shrouded in the darkness. It was all because of a very simple reason. It was difficult for her to trust others. She was afraid of telling her own opinions to others because she felt that it would burden them more, hurt them more. Wouldn't it be better to keep quiet so that no one gets hurt? This was the mentality that had stuck with the older girl since the beginning.

"Unnie. Trust me. Believe in me. I am here for you." said Eunji as she suddenly grabbed hold of her hand and placed it on her lap.

"Eunji-ya.."

"I don't want unnie to get hurt anymore. I want unnie to live a happy life and be free from her worries. Please, tell me everything that is burdening you. I won't get mad. I won't get upset."

"......." There was a long silence as Chorong was reluctant. But looking at her eyes, it was full of sincerity. From the first day she had met Eunji, they started off as strangers and soon, friends. They shared similar pains and were each other's pillar of support when they had their dark days. It was happening again. Just by her words, she mustered her courage to finally speak everything that was kept locked inside her heart.

"Actually...." said Chorong speaking carefully and slowly.

"I am really thankful that you're helping me with my debts. I really am. But, watching you do everything by yourself....it makes it seem like I'm useless. You're doing all the dirty work while I'm just here, waiting for something to happen. I'm frustrated by that because I wanted to save myself too. That's why I forced myself to work even harder, spending more nights at the office even though I might get sick while continuing to do this. I never told anyone this, not even Bomi or Namjoo because I did not want to burden them with my personal opinions. It doens't matter to them anyway." continued the girl.

"It does matter unnie." said Eunji as she tightened the grip of the girl's hand. Understanding her true feelings, Eunji was able to learn more about Chorong and her own perspective of how she felt with her actions. She thought that it would ease her burden by going to an audition and winning the grand prize which will clear her of her debts. She thought that she would feel relieved. But instead, she made her even more stressed out. 

"It's my fault." thought Eunji, in realisation.

"That's why, I began to wonder Eunji-ya."

"What?"

"Why are you so willing to help me in the beginning? We made a deal didn't we? What kind of help do you need so desperately in return? It has always been on my mind and I am honestly worried but I am ready to solve the problems that you have."

"Unnie..."

"There was once, I wondered whether you are just using me. I am after all, just a stranger at first. Are you trying to place such a heavy burden on me so that I could never say no to your requests? I know that I shouldn't think that way but..."

"Do you want me to tell you what I want in return after clearing your debts unnie?" said Eunji carefully, finally understanding how Chorong must've felt with her idea of making a deal. She didn't expect the girl to worry so much about the consequences of a deal that she made for fun. She wasn't expecting her to take it so seriously. 

The girl simply nodded in response as she waited for the girl to answer.

"Once I clear your debts, there is something I want unnie to do for me."

"What is it?" asked Chorong in anticipation yet feeling nervous and afraid at the same time. She had no idea what Eunji would want in return. She was a clearly unpredictable girl after all. Just what could her requests be?

"It's very simple, really." said Eunji with a giggle.

"Stop laughing Eunji-ya, I'm serious."

"I want Chorong unnie to become my girlfriend." answered the girl with a smile, eyes looking deep into hers.

 

 

 

 

 

[END OF CHAPTER 7]

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Confession time?! How will Chorong react to this? Will she finally accept her feelings despite the fear of falling in love again? Thank you for reading, subscribing and upvoting! Do share your thoughts of what you think will happen next! I will try my best to update soon~ :)