Standing Up for Joomi

The Words You May Never Hear.

 

“Seungho is doing WHAT???”

“SHHHH! Don’t talk so loud; I wasn’t supposed to tell you.” Thunder whispered harshly, cupping his hand over Dara’s mouth so that she wouldn’t annoy anyone in the coffee shop.

“Dude, this is not something you should be all calm about,” Dara said to him, taking a dainty sip of her espresso, “We have to find a way to fix this.”

“Wait… We? No; I am not gonna let you handle it your way.”

Dara looked up at her brother and frowned. “Why?” she asked, “I’m good at handling these kinds of things.”

“Noona; punching Seungho in the face isn’t going to solve anything.”

“Well why not? He might learn a lesson better if I can leave a mark on his pretty little nose…”

“Okay. Look; this isn’t going to work, alright? We need to think of a way to convince Seungho to leave Joon and Mir alone,” Thunder informed her, taking a big bite of his donut and chewing it loudly.

“Aish… chew with your mouth closed, will you?” Dara hissed, throwing her cup into the nearby trashcan and sighing, “I think I should be able to come up with something this weekend, and I can show you my ideas on Monday, okay?”

Thunder swallowed his food and cocked his head to the side. “I thought I said I was going to work on this with a little bit of help from you.”

“Ha! Hell no. I’m not going to let you plan this!”

“Why not? I’m way better at this kind of thing than you,” Thunder complained.

“Yeah, but your brain is the size of a peanut.”

“Hey! I thought I already proved to you that I was the smart one!”

Dara laughed. “Sorry; I couldn’t help it,” she said, and then she checked her watch, “Well, I have to go to vocal practice; apparently we’re getting a new song today. See ya later, honeybuns!” With that, she strutted out of the coffee shop.

“Honeybuns… who does she think she is,” Thunder rumbled, grabbing his bag and following his sister out the door.

--

Joon collapsed on his bed and kicked off his black converse in one swift motion. He pulled off his jacket and threw it off the side of his bed smoothly, and then he flipped over on his chest so he could stare out the window.

Outside, the orange and red leaves on the autumn sprinkled trees were glowing under the street lights. A group of school kids were outside playing catch in the dark across the street. Joon smiled as he remembered doing that with his dad, but then pain shot through his chest. No, don’t think about Dad. Joon thought to himself, letting his head fall onto his pillow.

After lying in the same awkward position for at least five minutes, Joon was finally able push his dad out of his mind, and then he turned over onto his back and stared at the ceiling. He reached his hand over to the bedside table and pressed the play button, and Lifehouse’s music filled the room.

As he stared at the ceiling absent-mindedly, his thoughts began to float towards everything that happened the day before. He began to go over the events that took place; the trip to the coffee shop with Park Bom, watching my favorite movie, and then… Joon felt pain shoot through his chest again as he remembered Mir. His mind filled with these horrible images of him and that girlon dates, Mir kissing her, the two of them holding hands…

Joon shook his head and face palmed. “Dude; stop worrying about it, because you should be happy for him; he finally found someone he likes.” Joon nodded to himself and tried to close his eyes, but they immediately flew open, and he sighed. But I like him so much…

“GAH! PABO PABO PABO! Don’t let your own jealousy get to your head. Stupid, idiot… GAHHHHH!!!!!” Joon grabbed his pillow and hit himself with it, until he realized G.O. and CL standing in the doorway and staring at him.

He immediately put his pillow down and tried to act normal. “Sup guys!” Joon said, waving to them and fixing his boy-band hair.

G.O. and CL looked at each other. “Nothing… Um, so CL has to sleep here tonight; something about the other girls working on something at her house, so she’s gonna have to use your bed. You can go sleep in Mir’s room.”

“I have to sleep in Mir’s room?” Joon asked, his heart thumping louder now.

“Yes you do.”

“But I don’t want to.”

“Dude, you have to.”

“No.”

“Come on, Joon.”

“I refuse.”

“Stop it.”

“GUYS!”  CL yelled, punching her boyfriend in the stomach and slapping Joon across the face, “I’ll just go sleep in Mir’s room.”

Joon sighed and grabbed his pillow. “No, I’ll go. Don’t worry.” With that, Joon ventured out of his room, into the living room and knocked on Mir’s door.

“Coming,” Mir yelled, and then he heard a loud bang from inside and some drawers opening and closing. Finally, Mir made it to the door and opened it. “What’s this? Why are you here?”

“It’s a sleepover!” Joon said, stepping inside and climbing onto Mir’s top bunk, “CL is sleeping over so I’ve gotta sleep in here.”

“Oh… okay. Sure. I wanted to go to sleep now though,” Mir said, climbing back into bed.

Joon sighed and then smiled, “Okay. Goodnight!”

“Night.”

When the lights went out, Joon stared at the ceiling and felt even more depressed. He started imagining him and Mir together, going on dates, kissing, sleeping in the same bed…

Joon silently screamed at himself and tried to sit up, but was stopped by the ceiling. “Are you okay up there?” Mir asked from below.

“Yeah, I am.” Joon said, and then he buried his face in his pillow.

You just embarrassed yourself.

Pabo.

What he didn’t know was that Mir was thinking about the exact same things.