English Disasters

The Words You May Never Hear.

 

“Hey… um, Joon?”

Joon looked up to see Mir awkwardly standing in front of him, clutching a piece of paper in his hand. Mir thought he was going to ignore him, but he just smiled and patted the open space on the couch next to him. “Yeah, what’s up?”

Mir sat down next to Joon and set the piece of paper down on the other side of him. “Have you ever had…” he gulped and then continued, “a crush on someone?”

Joon grinned. “Ooh, I see someone has a crush on a girl. Who is she?”

Mir’s died a bit inside at Joon’s assumption, but he decided to continue. “Yeah, something like that. Anyway, I’ve had a crush on this… girl, for a while, but I’m having problems. I already know that she will never like me back, ever”

“Do you really know, though? I mean, anything could happen. Has she told you that she doesn’t like you?”

“Um, well, not directly. But I always see her with… this guy. His name is… um… Park Bommington! Right, and she’s always helping him and stuff, but I feel like there is something more with them, something that I might not be able to live up to.”

Mir thought that he might have already given everything away with the whole Park Bom reference, but Joon just laughed and put his arm around Mir’s shoulder. “Mir, nobody can ever predict love. Who knows what will happen? Fate will be fate, so you just have to keep going and not give up. That’s what I believe, at least. Now, I don’t want you to give up on this girl until you get her, alright?”

A grin formed on Mir’s face, since Joon basically just told him not to give up on him. Well, not really, but it kind of means the same thing. “I promise I won’t. Now, I gotta go write a diary entry for English class.”

Joon gave him his signature smile. “Right. Go work on that, and call me if you need any help.”

“Yup,” Mir yelled over his shoulder as he walked into his room, “thanks!”

Mir collapsed on his bed and smiled. He listed off the things he had just accomplished in his time with Joon. Well, he had just asked for advice about his crush from the guy he had a crush on; he was able to get advice without giving anything away… perfect. Now I just gotta keep hoping, Mir thought, pulling out his English notebook and opening it to a fresh page.

For the next fifteen minutes, Mir contemplated what he should write about for his entry. He thought about it for a while, and after he couldn’t think of anything that he could write correctly in English, he just started writing about random things.

Janaury 13, 2021

Daer Diarie,

Today waz very eventfull day. We walk to buying icecraems, and we cee birds flie threw wind. Pretty pretty. When we coome home too apartmynt, we waetch Tv and I see favoarite actor. So pretty, so pretttie. Then I go to bedrum and see my teddy ber. I see and cuddl with bear. Clam down, clam down.  Nxt we watch History chanel and that we have fun fun fun. Was my day. You Thank.

Mir set down his pencil and examined his work. “Yes, this is a masterpiece," he said, correcting one little mistake he found, and then he stomped out of his room and slammed it down on the table in front of Joon. “There you go, biotch!”

“Someone’s feeling confident.” Seungho said, who was now sitting on the couch next to Joon and reading a magazine.

“Why yes I am! I just wrote this whole diary entry, and I think it’s really good. Take a look!” Mir nudged the paper over to Joon and sat down next to him. Joon picked up the paper and began to read. When he was done, he just looked at Mir and pulled a fakish smile. “Well, it’s certainly your best work!”

Mir grinned. “Yay!” He squeeled, and then a frown replaced his smile, “But… what’s wrong with it?” He asked, grabbing the paper and examining it.

“It looks like a four year old wrote it.” Seungho said, and Joon elbowed him in the balls.

“What did I do wrong?” Mir complained, shoving the paper and a red pen in Joon’s face.

Joon laughed and began correcting. “The spelling mistakes are extremely horrible, and your grammar is not your best. Actually, scratch that. I think this is the best you’ve done.”

“Wow, I’m smart,” Mir mumbled, sitting back on the couch and slapping himself across the face.

Suddenly a computer was dropped on his lap, a new Word document opened up. “Here, write what you meant to say in Korean, and I’ll help you translate.” Joon put his glasses on and gestured for Mir to start typing, and so he did.

January 12, 2012

Dear Diary,

Today was a very eventful day. We walked to the park to get icecream, and we saw these beautiful birds flying through the wind. They were very pretty. When we got back home to the apartment, we watched TV, and I saw my favorite actor. He’s very pretty. Then I went back to my room and I randomly cuddled with my teddy bear. So cute, so cute. Then I watched the history channel for information, which we had fun watching. That was my day. Thank you.

Mir handed the computer to Joon, and he read the document, and then held the paper up to the computer to compare. “Ah, I see. Well, you were close in some parts. First of all, you got the date wrong. It should be ‘January 12, 2012’, and you write it like this. See? Alright, then, you spelled this wrong…” As Joon continued to talk, Mir just watched him, accidently blocking everything that he said. His voice was so cute, and he looked so attractive with his glasses on. So, so…

“So, does that make sense?” Joon asked, putting the pencil down and giving him the corrected sheet.

“Yeah, sure.” Mir said, grabbing his paper and smiling at Joon. “Thanks, hyung!” Mir ran out of the room and into the safety of his habitat (which is what Mir calls his bedroom, for some reason). God, why did I space out? Mir asked himself, slapping himself again,  I’m such a pabo.

Seungho looked from the now closed door of Mir’s bedroom, and then back at Joon.  I think I know what’s going on here. A frown formed on his face, and he grabbed his bag and started walking to his room. When he got there, he closed his door and sat down on his bed, staring straight at the wall.“So Mir likes Joon, huh?” Seungho said, frowning, “I could tell by the way he looked at him. He’s in love.”

Seungho chuckled. “Well, this should keep me busy. I just have to make sure that Joon doesn’t end up with Mir. That should be easy enough.”

He got a notepad and began planning. This was usually way too devious for him, but he couldn’t help it. He was way too in love with Joon to let Mir get him.