Infinite Love

My Cursed Lineage

 

A recap on the present: Hanmi was just woken from her Niel nightmare by her sister Eunmi. That same day, she went to work in SM Entertainment and got her next project.

 

“You and Yoonhee are collaborating with Woolim Entertainment for the comeback of Infinite. Yoonhee is going to assist in the MV filming, jacket-making, etc., while you, of course, will be busy with the songs. Any questions?”

 

Mr. Lee Soo Man looked at Hanmi expectantly after explaining her new project.

 

“None, sir,” was all Hanmi said.

 

“Are you alright?” said Mr. Lee worriedly.

 

“I just slept badly last night, sir,” said Hanmi. She mustered a half-baked smile.

 

“Ok. If you’re sure you’re alright, you may go,” said Mr. Lee, not fully convinced.

 

Hanmi walked out of the office silently and sought comfort in her own little office. She dropped heavily on her swivel chair and buried her face in her hands for a while. Then she took the framed picture of her favorite twins on her desk. It was a Polaroid she took when they went to Lotte World with Kwangmin. Hanmi smiled at them, and then her tears started to fall again.

 

I know I promised I wouldn’t cry for you anymore, but I miss you all so much, she thought.

 

Her tears dropped on the pictures she put under the glass of her desk. There was Taemin during one of their practices. Jinyoung and Gongchan smiled at back at her. And there was Niel, flashing her his trademark Jang Geun Seuk smile. She had to smile through her tears, which were not stopping, by the way.

 

I don’t know which emotion to express! thought Hanmi as she laughed to herself.

 

I better clean up; Yoonhee unnie might see me, thought Hanmi. She got up and washed her face in a little sink in her office. When she got back to her desk, Yoonhee came through the door.

 

“Hey, did Mr. Lee tell you our new project?” she asked, smiling.

 

“Oh, yes, and unnie, please come in,” said Hanmi.She sat on her swivel chair as Yoonhee placed herself comfortably on one of the desk chairs.

 

“Do you know Infinite?” asked Hanmi.

 

“Kind of. Not in the know-them know-them sense. I’ve seen them in TV and they’re supposedly masters of choreography,” said Yoonhee.

 

Just like Taemin oppa, thought Hanmi.

 

“Do you know them?” asked Yoonhee.

 

Hanmi blushed lightly. “Actually, yeah. My bias is their maknae. You know who that is?”

 

“Wait, wait, I know him…uhm…Sungyeol?!” guessed Yoonhee.

 

“No!” teased Hanmi. “He’s their third youngest. Silly. You wanna guess again?”

 

“Well, that guy Sunggyu looks young…” said Yoonhee again.

 

Hanmi burst out laughing. “Unnie! He’s the leader and eldest!

 

“Hey, I didn’t know,” retorted Yoonhee, laughing along with Hanmi.

 

“Actually, when I first saw them, I thought Woohyun was the eldest, but anyway… You wanna guess again?”

 

“No, just say it already.”

 

“Lee Sungjong,” said Hanmi proudly.

 

“Wait,” said Yoonhee. She looked up and put her finger on her chin, thinking, remembering. “Isn’t he the diva-ish one like Key? I read a lot of things on the internet saying he’s gay.”

 

“HE’S NOT GAY!!!” said Hanmi in a loud voice, standing up in a bolt. Yoonhee backed off.

 

“Ok, ok, sheesh, so he isn’t, fine,” she said. “Calm down, I’m sorry.”

 

“I-I’m sorry, unnie,” said Hanmi shyly, reclaiming her seat. “I’m so pissed with people thinking Sungjong is gay.”

 

“Oh, right, well,” said Yoonhee. “I came by to tell you we’re heading to Woolim tomorrow. I’ll pick you up here, yeah?”

 

“Yeah, ok, thanks, unnie,” said Hanmi. Yoonhee smiled at her again before getting out of the office.

 

“You’re a strong kid,” said Yoonhee.

 

Hanmi fell back against her chair. She reflected on the new platter placed before her. A new group, another bias, another possibility for another boyfriend. Not that she was being all that and stuff, but due to the string of events (new group, a bias, next the bias falls for her, a new boyfriend), she could just imagine what was coming.

 

That night, she was curled up on her bed, looking over the Polaroids she took of her oppas. She tried hard not to cry, but tears found their way to her eyes anyway.

 

Someplace else, in Infinite’s dorm, everyone was already in bed while Sungjong got left behind to clean up.

 

“Aish, my hyungs hate me so much! I’m always left behind to clean up,” muttered Sungjong as he fluffed up the couch pillows.

 

Suddenly, light filled the room. Right, people, you guessed it: a visit from the Other World. Who could it be?

 

“Sungjong-ssi? Are you Lee Sungjong?” asked a voice.

 

“I think it’s him, they said this is him,” said another voice.

 

“Hey, can’t you speak? Are you Lee Sungjong?” asked yet another voice.

 

“Yes, y-yes, I am Lee Sungjong,” replied Sungjong shakily. He stepped back a little away from the light and the voices.

 

“He says it’s him!” said a voice different from the other three.

 

“Quit it with the light, Jinyoung hyung. We’re safe, no one else is here but him and us,” said the Second Voice.

 

“Oh, sorry,” said the First Voice.

 

The light dimmed a bit and Sungjong saw where the voices came from. Four boys dressed in white stood before him. They seem to radiate light from within them. One of them looked like he was about Sungjong’s age.

 

“Hello there,” said one of them, the Third Voice, the one who looked Sungjong’s age, brown-haired, lanky.

 

“Sorry for us barging at this time of night, but we gotta talk to you,” said the First Voice, the one they call Jinyoung.

 

“You do know we’re scaring him, right?” whispered the Second Voice. He was blonde and looked like the youngest among them.

 

“Get it over with, our time is short. They might see us,” hissed the Fourth Voice.

 

“Hello, I’m Jinyoung,” smiled the First Voice.

 

“I’m Youngmin,” said the Second Voice.

 

“Taemin here, and I believe we’re the same age, well, when I d-“ said the Third Voice, but was cut off by the Fourth Voice.

 

“I’m sure he doesn’t want to know that,” said the Fourth Voice. “I’m Niel, by the way.”

 

“Wait, what are you?” said Sungjong. “’Cause you’re kinda freaking me out, as Niel said.”

 

“Right, well, there’s no need to know what we are, exactly,” said Jinyoung, wrinkling his nose.

 

“We’re here because we’re told that you’re gonna play an important role in the life of a certain friend of ours,” said Taemin.

 

“Just like how we were,” smiled Youngmin, only to have his mouth covered by Niel.

 

“’Were?’” asked Sungjong, getting more and more confused. Who are these shining figures before him?

 

“YES, anyway,” interrupted Taemin, shooting glares at the others.

 

“So, who is this person?” asked Sungjong, kind of intrigued.

 

“She’s female, and her name’s Hanmi. The other details about her, you’re gonna find out for yourself,” said Jinyoung, giving Sungjong a mysterious smile.

 

“What do I do to her?” asked Sungjong.

 

“We want you to take care of her and help her however you can,” said Taemin.

 

“You sound like she’s my girlfriend… She’ll not be my girlfriend, will she? I don’t even know her,” said Sungjong.

 

The boys only smiled at him.

 

“We have to go now,” said Niel said. “Remember your promise and don’t hurt our Hanmi.”

 

“Wait, wait! I don’t understand,” said Sungjong. He reached for Youngmin’s wrist, but to his utmost surprise, he passed right through.

 

“Uh oh, hyung,” said Youngmin. He began dissolving.

 

“We’ll meet you there,” said Jinyoung assuring Youngmin. Youngmin nodded and ceased to be seen.

 

“What the hell?! What are you guys?!” demanded Sungjong. He backed off.

 

“Sungjong-ssi, we were once Hanmi’s boyfriends. We’re…dead now, but why we’re here is because we want her next boyfriend to take care of her when we couldn’t,” explained Taemin.

 

“You’re ghosts?!?!”

 

“You’re too harsh,” said Niel. “Try spirits-who-were-allowed-to-see-the-future.”

 

“That’s worse! You’re all dead! Have you come to take me too?!”

 

“Weren’t you listening?” said Niel, nearing losing his patience. He took a step forward which caused Sungjong to back off.

 

“Alright, alright, I promise! But don’t hurt me!” pleaded Sungjong. He got down and kneeled in front of them.

 

Niel was taken aback. “Hey, don’t do that. I didn’t mean it like that. And you’re older than me! Please get up.”

 

Jinyoung rolled his eyes at Niel. He knelt by Sungjong, willed himself to be solid, and touched his shoulder.

 

“We’re sorry. We didn’t mean to scare you. We just wanted someone to take care of Hanmi, and we’re sure that that person will be you,” he said softly.

 

Sungjong paused for a while before answering. “Alright, I’ll look after her. Is she…you know, pretty?” he asked sheepishly.

 

“You’ll have to find that out for yourself,” smirked Taemin.

 

“I have one last question: will I tell her about this encounter?” asked Sungjong.

 

“Your choice, actually,” said Niel.

 

“Will she believe me?” he asked again.

 

“Sorry, you said that the other one was the last,” smirked Niel.

 

They waved to him and disappeared into thin air. The room regained its dimness.

 

“Sungjong-ah?”

 

Sungjong turned to see Hoya peeking out of the bedroom door. He had sleep embedded in his eyes.

 

“What’s up, hyung? Can’t sleep?” said Sungjong kindly as he got up.

 

“You know how easy I’m distracted by the slightest noise,” he said, rubbing his eyes. “Who were you talking to?”

 

Sungjong grew a little pale. “You heard me, hyung?” he asked worriedly.

 

“Yeah. You will say this, then you would pause as if listening to someone speak, then you would speak again,” said Hoya, his brows coming together in difficulty to explain.

 

“So you just heard me, not anyone else?” asked Sungjong, making sure.

 

“Yeah.”

 

Sungjong sighed. “Yes, well, I was concocting imaginary speech bubbles in my head. Do you remember anything I said?”

 

“No. But at this time of night?!”

 

Sungjong glanced at the wall clock. 1:00 AM.

 

“Oppsie~!” said Sungjong while giggling. “I got carried away. Sorry, hyung. Let’s just sleep, ok?”

 

Hoya just smiled and put his arm on his dongsaeng’s shoulder. They went in the room and slept.

 

Back to Hanmi’s part of the story, she woke up at 6:00 AM. She went out and Eunmi wasn’t awake yet. She prepared breakfast and ate alone.

 

‘Maybe unnie was talking to umma and appa again late last night,’ thought Hanmi.

 

She got ready and left a note on the table beside Eunmi’s breakfast.

 

Unnie~ I left at 7:00. You were talking to umma and appa again, weren’t you? You should sleep early or you’ll have eyebags on you. =))

 

I prepared breakfast for you. I’ll see you later~!

 

~Hanmi~

 

She took her usual journey to SM Entertainment. Today was the day she and Yoonhee will visit Woolim Ent. to talk to their new clients, so to speak. While waiting for Yoonhee, she wrote down sample lyrics in her music journal.

 

You’re like the breeze, you come and you go

You hardly care who’s there, you know

But just like the air, you’re hard to live without

Unable to breathe, I can’t speak, can’t shout

 

“Hanmi-yah! Annyeong!” came Yoonhee’s bubbly voice.

 

Hanmi shut her journal and stood up. “Unnie! You always dress up whenever we meet new groups, huh?”

 

“Of course! The first impression counts,” smiled Yoonhee. “Let’s go!”

 

The drive was long-ish, and Hanmi found herself dozing in the car. Yoonhee let her and played ballads in her built-in player in the car. Sometime later, Hanmi felt heself being shook awake.

 

“Wake up, princess, we’re here,” whispered Yoonhee.

 

“Oh, did I fall asleep?” said Hanmi as she got up and out of the car.

 

“Yeah, you did,” said Yoonhee.

 

They walked up to the front desk of Woolim Entertainment and asked the audience of their CEO.

 

“Mr. Woo is waiting for you,” said the concierge. “Please follow me.”

 

They followed the lady to the second-to-the-last floor. There, they went to a fancy black-doored room.

 

“Mr. Woo is waiting inside,” said lady, bowed, and went away.

 

The girls nodded and knocked on the door.

 

“Come in.”

 

They entered a lavishly decorated room. Everything was stylishly black, along with the CEO’s fancy suit. Compared to Mr. Lee, Mr. Woo looked a couple of years younger. He smiled at them and his eyes crinkled.

 

“Welcome to our humble company,” he said, opening his arms as if to hug them.

 

“‘Humble’ is right,” muttered Yoonhee. Hanmi nudged her a bit. They offered seats through getsures and they politely sat down.

 

“Infinite will walk in any moment now,” said Mr. Woo. “Meanwhile, would you like something?”

 

“Oh, no thanks, sir,” said Hanmi. “But, will you tell us about the new project of Infinite?”

 

“Ah, yes,” said Mr. Woo. “The topic we engaged in is quite as creative as the first. We’re thinking of making an MV where the boys are to be sorcerers, or magicians, yes? Can you imagine it? There’ll be this beautiful, captivating, magical song in the background which shapes the MV’s storyline.”

 

Yoonhee was in the same bubble as Mr. Woo, imagining how mystical this MV will be. Hanmi wasn’t as involved and sorry to say, she kind of popped their bubble.

 

“Do you have a quotation whatsoever that we could work on?” she asked.

 

“Not really, darling, but can’t you work on the concept?” said Mr. Woo apologetically.

 

“I suppose I could, but it would be more helpful if-“

 

Just then, the door opened and seven boys dressed to impress walked in.

 

“Ah, yes, Infinite, my prized band,” said Mr. Woo. The girls stood up to greet them. They bowed to each other and found seats for themselves.

 

“Introduce yourselves, boys,” said Mr. Woo.

 

“Annyeonghaseyo, I’m the leader Kim Sunggyu,” said the one with the smallest eyes.

 

“I’m Jang Dongwoo, one of the rappers,” said the next guy who resembled a dinosaur just like Kim Jonghyun.

 

“Nam Woohyun here, a vocalist like Sunggyu hyung,” said the next, the one with the most defined V-line.

 

“Lee Howon, or just Hoya, and I’m a rapper too,” said the next. He had these slightly feline eyes.

 

“Lee Sungyeol, or you could call me Yeollie~” said the next guy, doing this amazing aegyo.

 

“Kim Myungsoo,” was the all next guy said. He was acting rather cold.

 

The last, Hanmi had to keep herself from fangirling. You’d think she was used to this by now, seeing her biases in the flesh.

 

“I’m Lee Sungjong, their maknae,” smiled the last boy.

 

“Nice to meet you all,” said Yoonhee. “You may call me Yoonhee, and I’m 21 years old.”

 

“A noona!” exclaimed Sungyeol.

 

“Hi, I’m Hanmi, just 18 years old,” said Hanmi shyly. She glanced shortly at Sungjong before bowing.

 

‘So this is their Hanmi,’ thought Sungjong.

 

The boys, Yoonhee, and Mr. Woo engaged in the talk about Mr. Woo’s idea for the MV. They were all that, waving their arms in the air like some magic is on it. Their fingers fluttered like light danced from them. And Hanmi couldn’t stand it.

 

“Excuse me, may I use the restroom?” she said politely as she got up.

 

“And then there’ll be-sure dear, down the hall first door on the right-this breath-taking-” said Mr. Woo without skipping a breath. Hanmi didn’t stay to hear the next part if his statement as she hastily bowed and got out.

 

Once outside, she breathed a sigh of relief. ‘Wow, it’s good to be out here,’ she thought. Before she was a few paces away, someone called her back.

 

“Hey, wait! Wait for me!”

 

She turned and saw Sungjong walking briskly toward her. Her heart thumped loudly, which she preferred than it stopping.

 

“Oh, hello. Shouldn’t you be inside?” asked Hanmi. She tried so hard not to stutter.

 

“Yeah, well, I wasn’t enjoying as much as you,” shrugged Sungjong.

 

“How’d you know?”

 

“You had this look on your face that said ‘I have to get out of here’,” said Sungjong, attempting to copy her, which had him laughing.

 

Hanmi laughed too. “I bet I didn’t look half as bad as that,” she said while giggling.

 

“Yeah, maybe,” said Sungjong. “Hey, you wanna walk around? I could show you this place we call home.”

 

Hanmi agreed and she and Sungjong explored the building. When Sungjong showed her the recording room, she was especially pleased. There was a drum set, a couple of guitars, and a baby grand (piano).

 

“You play?” asked Sungjong.

 

“Yeah, I used to. The piano. I haven’t played it since…” she said, then trailed off. Since Taemin oppa died. It’s been a very long while.

 

“I’m sorry,” said Sungjong. “If it doesn’t pain you, will you play for me?”

 

“Sure, but my skills are kinda rusty,” said Hanmi sheepishly. She sat on the piano and played the very first song she made for SHINee: Shining Inheritance. Sungjong was enthralled by the sweet, soulful melody. He was almost sorry when Hanmi stopped.

 

“What’s wrong?” said Sungjong. Then he noticed Hanmi’s shoulders quaking.

 

“Hey, hey, why are you crying? Is there anything I could get you? Are you hurt?” asked Sungjong worriedly.

 

“N-No, th-this is nothing,” hiccupped Hanmi. “Just…memories, bad memories.” She hastily wiped her tears and avoided Sungjong’s eyes.

 

Sungjong softly and carefully hugged her and caressed her hair. Hanmi’s cries ceased as she just let her tears flow without noise.

 

“You know, they visited me last night,” said Sungjong. He let go of her and knelt in front of her.

 

“Who?” asked Hanmi, wiping her eyes rapidly, only to have her wrist held by Sungjong.

 

“Your friends. Taemin, Jinyoung, Youngmin, and Niel,” smiled Sungjong, although inside, he was panicking. What if she doesn’t believe? Her friends are dead, after all.

 

To his surprise, Hanmi said, “What did they say?”

 

“Y-You believe me?” said Sungjong, astonished.

 

“Yeah, I believe you when you say they visited you. You’re not joking around me, I’m sure. I mean, I don’t think you’ve met them yet.”

 

“Well, I do know them. They were idols, weren’t they? They made international news when they died.”

 

“Yeah…but I believe you, ok? They’ve visited me once before too, in the flesh,” said Hanmi, then she realized what she said. Her eyes widened and she clamped her hands on .

 

Only vampires could see the dead, and that’s only when they’re deeply depressed. She can’t tell anyone what she is. That’ll end her future then and there; maybe even her life.

 

“What? Really?” exclaimed Sungjong.

 

“Well, yeah…they, uh, they seemed very life-like in my…dreams, yes, my dreams,” said Hanmi, quickly covering up her blooper.

 

“Oh, right. Dreams can be so real sometimes, huh? I had this one, but that’s irrelevant,” said Sungjong, laughing in spite of himself.

 

“Did my friends say anything to you?” Hanmi asked again. “I mean, they told me they missed me on their last visit. In my dreams.”

 

“Yeah, actually, they told me of you. They made me promise to watch over you and help you however I can,” said Sungjong.

 

“Really? That’s sweet of them, but really, I’m sorry they went to you. Don’t bother yourself,” said Hanmi nervously. What were they thinking?!

 

“Too bad, I already promised. I’m the sort who always keeps his promise,” smiled Sungjong.

 

“Please, Sungjong-ssi, I-” said Hanmi, only to be stopped by Sungjong.

 

“It’s ok, Hanmi-yah. It’s a pleasure, actually. And please, call me oppa,” he said.

 

Hanmi had to give in. “Fine…oppa. I suggest we go back.”

 

And that started the friendship of the two. It was very natural and felt nothing romantic, partly because Hanmi swore never to love another. So, she was kind of passive and numb to Sungjong’s attempts.

 

But to Sungjong, Hanmi was the potential girlfriend. He never had one, and actually, Hanmi violated everything in his To-Be-In-A-GF list, only because she was something more, much more. It was her he tried to impress. She had to be there for him to perform well. It may over-acting, but Sungjong kind of depended on her to excel.

 

Add that to how Sungjong treated her, took her home, and everything else boy does when he trying to make the girl say ‘yes.’

 

Sungjong has fallen for our young vampire.