Flashback: SHINee

My Cursed Lineage

Only a few weeks after Hanmi settled into the SM family, Lee Soo Man told SHINee's manager to give Hanmi her first assignment: SHINee's comeback album. A full-length album composed of 13 songs.

 

"Sir, that's a lot of work for a 16-year-old," said SHINee's manager.

 

"She has all the time she needs," said Soo Man. "And Jonghyun and Onew are contributing two songs, so they said.

 

"Yes sir. I'll tell her right now," said manager, bowed, and got out of the office. He went straight to Hanmi's corner.

 

"Hanmi-ssi?"

 

"Oh, neh?" Hanmi looked up from the notebook she was scribbling on.

 

"Mr. Lee wants me to tell you your first assignment."

 

"Oh! What is it?"

 

"You're going to prepare SHINee's comeback album. Full-length. 13 songs," explained the manager. "But minus 2 since Jonghyun and Onew will contribute one each.

 

"Oh, arasso. Did Mr. Lee say anything about the subject or concept?"

 

"The concept for the comeback is "Still together, still shining"," said the manager.

 

"Oh, ok. I was actually starting to write something," said Hanmi. 

 

The manager was surprised. "Mr. Lee was right when he said you could do it," he said.

 

Hanmi smiled modestly. She rose and bowed as the manager left. Then she looked at her notebook. "It's perfect!" she said.

 

The title of the new song was 'Shining Inheritance'.

 

A 2 months later, Hanmi submitted a total of 11 songs to Mr. Lee, plus the 2 songs Onew and Jonghyun gave her to "edit". As Mr. Lee reviwed them, he was smiling and nodding at each work. When he finished looking through them, he smiled at Hanmi.

 

"These are looking good. You even picked out each members' parts. And some are good dance music," commented Mr. Lee.

 

"Thank you sir," bowed Hanmi.

 

Mr. Lee picked up a phone. "Come into my office, please."

 

Hanmi's heart started beating fast, because she thought Mr. Lee just called in SHINee. But a little bit to her diappointment, a lady got into the office.

 

"You sent for me, sir?" the pretty lady said and bowed.

 

"Yes, I want you to accompany Hanmi to the recording room. She's prepared the songs for SHINee's comeback album," said Mr. Lee.

 

"Hi, I'm Yoonhee, in charge of the recording," smiled the pretty lady. She took Hanmi's hand and shook it. Hanmi smiled and nodded her head.

 

They went to the recording room, where-tada!-the SHINee members were already waiting. Hanmi's heart beat faster again, especially when she saw her bias: Lee Taemin.

 

"Noona, annyeong!" said Taemin. The rest of the members looked and bowed to Yoonhee.

 

"Hi boys. I'm guessing you haven't met the new lyricist. This is Hanmi," said Yoonhee. Hanmi bowed to the boys. "She has prepared the songs for your comeback album."

 

"Oh, we've met her, right, Hanmi-ssi?" said Jonghyun cockily. "Onew hyung and I submitted our songs in her office for her to edit."

 

"Neh," said Hanmi and Onew at the same time.

 

"Arasso. Well, there's a piano over there, Hanmi-yah. Why don't you let us hear each song," suggested Yoonhee.

 

Hanmi sat down at the piano. He fingers softly touched the ivory keys. After a while, she began to play the song 'Shining Inheritance'. It had a sweet melody, but not a ballad. For a while there wasn't a sound to be heard but the song's melody. After she played, Yoonhee applauded. She was in the recording studio. She had recorded the song's melody.

 

"That was beautiful, Hanmi-yah," said Yoonhee.

 

"Yeah," said Key.

 

The others only nodded.

 

"Well, go on, guys! Learn the song and let the recording begin!" said Yoonhee.

 

SHINee, Yoonhee, and Hanmi spent the entire day in the recording studio. At the end of the day, they finished 3 songs.

 

"That was prductive, people! And that's a wrap. I'll see you all tomorrow," said Yoonhee.

 

Hanmi went back to her office alone. It was 5 in the evening. She noticed Mr. Lee's office lights still on.

 

'People here must work very hard. They might even stay until 10,' thought Hanmi. 

 

At the lobby, before she got out, someone called her name.

 

"Hanmi-yah!"

 

She turned and her heart knocked against her rib cage.

 

"Taemin-ssi. Wh-What's up?" she stammered. 'Aish! Why are you stammering?' she mentally slapped herself.

 

"Oh, please drop the formalities. I've always wanted someone to call me oppa," said Taemin.

 

"O-Oppa?"

 

"Yeah, but if you're not ok with it, it's ok," said Taemin with a sad shrug.

 

"Oh, I don't mind... Taemin oppa," saud Hanmi shyly.

 

Taemin's face brightened. "I liked your songs. They were pretty cool."

 

"Thanks," blushed Hanmi.

 

"Do you mind if I walk you home? It's getting dark," offered Taemin.

 

"I don't mind that, but don't you? And I'm guessing your dorm isn't near our place."

 

"It's ok. The others won't miss me. Come on," said Taemin, grabbing Hanmi's wrist and pulling her out of the building.

 

While walking, the two engaged in easy conversation. Hanmi found out that Taemin was an easy friend.

 

"You're a fan of ours? That's cool! Who's your bias?" said Taemin.

 

Hanmi blushed. She was thankful that the night was dark already. "Actually, it-it's...you."

 

"Me? Oh, that's great!" laughed Taemin. Hanmi found herself laughing along.

 

"Oh, this is our place. Do you want to come in?" asked Hanmi.

 

"I think I have to go back now, but it's awesome making a new friend. I'll see you tomorrow!" said Taemin.

 

"Ok. Bye!"

 

Hanmi was giddy all night. Eunmi was being really weirded out. 

 

"Yah, Hanmi-yah, what's up with you?" she asked.

 

Hanmi filled her sister in with another spazz-filled story.

 

"And he walked me home! Today was beautiful," said Hanmi, ending with a swoon.

 

Eunmi only smiled and nodded. "Alright, go to bed now. You have another day tomorrow."

 

When Hanmi was asleep, Eunmi sat down on the couch and picked up the picture of their parents.

 

"Umma, appa, I know, what she is could affect this relationship, but she's 16! She deserves a life," whispered Eunmi sadly. "Not like me. I don't mind our kind, but will she?"

 

A few months later, Hanmi and Taemin's friendship grew stronger that ever. They were always "hanging out", or so Taemin said.

 

"Are you guys going out for lunch again?" said Minho while they were taking a break. Taemin had changed into new clothes.

 

"Yes, hyung. How'd you know?" said Taemin.

 

"Duh. You like her," said Key.

 

Taemin turned crimson. 

 

"Haha, your umma's right!" laughed Jonghyun. "Do you have any plans of courting her?"

 

Taemin didn't speak.

 

"Yah, you can trust us, maknae," said Onew. 

 

"Alright, fine, I do have plans of courting her. Any ideas?"

 

"Ask Jonghyun, the expert," said Key, making air quotes.

 

"I suggest you go the sweet but dodgy way," said Jonghyun matter-of-factly.

 

"How's that?"

 

Taemin's hyungs smiled at him with knowing looks.

 

Later, Taemin took Hanmi out to dinner. It was an open-air place. The wind was blowing softly, but Hanmi still shivered.

 

"You cold?" said Taemin. Without waiting for an answer, he drapped his jacket on her shoulders. 

 

"Oh, thanks," said Hanmi.

 

They had dinner while talking like they used to. After that, Taemin lead Hanmi to the edge of the diner. The city lights twinkled like colorful stars. Taemin kept clearing his throat. He was quite unsure about his hyungs' plans.

 

"Oppa, you ok? I have a cough drop here. You want?" said Hanmi, her eyes wide with worry.

 

Taemin smiled at her. "You're worried about me?" he asked sweetly.

 

"Of course. You're my friend, aren't you?"

 

They fell quiet for a while. Then Taemin decided to go for it.

 

"Hanmi-yah, I heard that someone in SM fancied you," he began.

 

"Really?"

 

"What if he told you he liked you?"

 

"Who is he?"

 

"I know him well. I'll show him to you if you want."

 

"If he told me he liked me...it depends. I don't know him yet."

 

"What if you do?"

 

"Who is it, oppa? Please tell me."

 

"He is the maknae and lead dancer of their group. Some even say he's the best dance machine of his age."

 

Hanmi was pretty slow. "Maknae...lead dancer...but that's..." Hanmi looked up at Taemin.

 

Taemin smiled. Hanmi blushed. Taemin held Hanmi's hand. She blushed even harder.

 

"I've liked you the first time I saw you. Your pretty voice, your gentle fingers, your easy-going attitude. I liked that."

 

Hanmi didn't know what to say.

 

"Would you be my...girlfriend?"

 

Hanmi's insides exploded. This was her ultimate SHINee bias, asking her to be his girlfriend. This was better than any fanfiction she's ever read. And who would say no to Lee Taemin?

 

"Yes, yes, oppa!"

 

Taemin was so happy he lifted her up and swung her around. Consecutively, fireworks lit up the night sky, but what happened next drowned out all the noise in the world.

 

Taemin leant down and kissed Hanmi. She was surprised at first, but she gave in soon enough.

 

The next few months, Taemin and Hanmi spent all their extra time together. But unfortunate events are yet to come. One night, Taemin and Hanmi visited the place they became a couple. There was no one there, but they liked it just the same. The couple sat at the very seat they ate on. They engaged in easy conversation. Suddenly, the clouds overhead parted. The big, full, ivory moon shone through. Hanmi caught a glance of it and out.

 

The next morning, she found herself on her bed at home. She was puzzled, but she figured Taemin brought her home. Her memory of last night was hazy.

 

"Good morning, unnie," she called.

 

Eunmi was sleeping on the dining table, her face pale and her eyes were puffy.

 

"Omo! Unnie! What happened to you?" exclaimed Hanmi. At the voice of her sister, Eunmi woke up.

 

"Oh, I'm fine. Shouldn't you be getting ready for work?"

 

"Are you sure you're fine?"

 

"Yup."

 

Hanmi nodded and got ready for work. Before she left, her sister held her back.

 

"Hanmi-yah, be ready for whatever the day has in store for you, ok? Be strong," said Eunmi.

 

Hanmi was a bit puzzled, but she nodded and went on her way.

 

In the building, it was curiously quiet. She didn't see anyone walking about in their business. She went up to the Big Boss' office.

 

"Good morning, sir," bowed Hanmi. Lee Soo Man was pale and looked scared. "Are you ok, sir?"

 

"SHINee is waiting for you in the practice room," was all he said.

 

Hanmi bowed and quickly got out. Something was definitely not right. She proceeded to the practice room. Onew, Jonghyun, Key, and Minho were sitting there with bowed heads. Taemin wasn't there.

 

"Hey, guys, what's wrong?" said Hanmi. "Where's Taemin?"

 

"You haven't heard?" said Key in a heavy voice.

 

"Heard what?"

 

"Taemin's dead. We're gonna visit him in the hospital today. We waited for you," said Minho in an even heavier voice.

 

Hanmi was stunned. "That's not funny, Minho-yah. I was with Taemin only the night before!"

 

"That's just it! But you weren't there anymore. A friendly citizen found him on a bench on the sidewalk at around midnight. His eyes were open but unseeing," said Onew.

 

"But we weren't there! We didn't go there!" said Hanmi. Her voice was becoming uinsteady.

 

"Tell us what happened, then," said Jonghyun.

 

Hanmi fell silent. She wracked her brain, but she didn't get anything from last night. "I don't remember," said said quietly.

 

Then Yoonhee came in. "The van's waiting for you guys. And Hanmi-yah, I'm sorry."

 

In the hospital room, Hanmi saw Taemin's lifeless body on the white cot. She didn't understand what happened, so she went in the state of shock. No tears, but absolute shock. Hanmi couldn't move. Her sister was called to take her home.

 

"I'm sorry, Hanmi-yah. You really can't remember what happened?" said Eunmi quietly. The sister owned a car left by their parents.

 

Hanmi didn't reply. Eunmi only nodded. WHen they got home, that's when Hanmi's tear broke through. She sobbed on her sister's lap the whole night, still no words, just tears. When Hanmi fell asleep, her sister carried her to her room.

 

Eunmi spent the rest of the night in the living room, with only the reading light on the side table as source of sight.

 

"Umma, appa, she's only 16," whispered Eunmi to the framed picture. "But the inner her is starting to go out. This is hard for her. But I can't tell her, not yet."

 

It was only June. Hanmi was still 16.