Flashback: B1A4

My Cursed Lineage

 

A year later, Hanmi had exhausted her tears for Taemin, but she hasn’t forgotten him. She was still puzzled about his death. The police didn’t get any leads yet. But she had the whole SM family mourning with her. They helped and encouraged each other through the tough time. Taemin was a devastating loss in the idol world, and it was too heavy a burden to bear alone. So the SM family became closer at the passing of the greatest dance machine of his age. Hanmi wrote an additional song to add to their comeback album: Still Shining, Still as Five. Ironic as the title may be, but the lyrics had lines like ‘even with one missing, the rest continue to hold on for him,’ and ‘forever in our minds, we look up at the moon and at him.’ It was like a parting song for Taemin from Hanmi and Shinee.

 

As I said, a year passed after the tragedy, and Hanmi and Shinee are back on track, along with SM Ent. A lot of things slowed down because of Taemin’s passing, but Lee Soo Man has succeeded in preparing Hanmi’s next project.

 

Before that, the CEO of WM Entertainment gave him a call.

 

“Yoboseyo?” answered Mr. Lee.

 

“Mr. Lee? This is Yang Min Suk of WM Entertainment. I’m expressing my deepest regrets for your terrible loss; with me is my entire company.”

 

“Oh, yes, yes, thank you so much,” replied Mr. Lee wearily.

 

“I’ve heard of your new lyricist; we talked about her in the phone some time ago,” explained Mr. Yang.

 

“Do you need her to help you for a project?”

 

“Yes, if she doesn’t mind. B1A4’s next mini-album.”

 

“I’ll call her right now to tell her, and we’ll call you back, ok?”

 

“Neh, kamsahamnida!”

 

Mr. Lee put down his phone and made the effort to go to Hanmi’s office. The girl was scribbling away in her music journal.

 

“Hanmi-yah?”

 

“Oh, Mr. Lee!” exclaimed Hanmi, as she got up and bowed respectfully. “Is there anything you need?”

 

“Mr. Yang of WM Entertainment just gave me a call. He said he wanted you to assist in the album making of B1A4,” explained Mr. Lee.

 

“I’ve heard of them,” said Hanmi. “It must be great to work with those boys! They were born cute!”

 

“Alright, I’ll tell Mr. Yang you’re interested. You better go see Yoonhee and tell her you need a shuttle to WM Entertainment.”

 

“Yes, sir,” bowed Hanmi. As soon as Mr. Lee left, Hanmi went hunting for Yoonhee.

 

In half an hour, Yoonhee and Hanmi were driving through Seoul in Yoonhee’s car. No shuttles were available.

 

“So, are you excited in your new project?” asked Yoonhee.

 

“Oh, yeah, I’m a fan of B1A4 too. My bias is Jinyoung,” said Hanmi.

 

“Oh, I’ve seen them. I think he’s cute too,” said Yoonhee sheepishly.

 

Soon they got to the building.

 

“I’ll be dropping you off here. I’ll pick you up at 6 t drive you home. Sorry for noe being able to accompany you inside, kiddo,” said Yoonhee.

 

“It’s ok, unnie. I’ll see you!”

 

Hanmi meekly looked around the building’s interior. It resembles SM in a bit. Hanmi approaches the front desk.

 

“Excuse me? May I request to see Mr. Yang?” she asked.

 

“Oh, are you Hanmi? Mr. Yang is expecting you. Right this way,” said the friendly lady.

 

She led Hanmi to the highest floor to a room with wide double doors. It was made of smoked glass.

 

“Mr. Yang will be waiting for you inside,” said the lady. Hanmi bowed to thank her and hesitated for a fraction of a second before opening the door. She wasn’t really ready for what (or who) was waiting for her inside.

 

The room was as wide as the doors, which is very wide. A long table stood in the middle of the thick red carpeted floor. The wood was shiny. The wall behind the head of the table’s chair was an entire window. The walls were white and clear. But the people in the room were who Hanmi focused on. Yes, people.

 

A man in a white suit sat at the head of the table. Five boys sat in the seats to his right hand.

 

B1A4.

 

“Oh? You must be Hanmi. Come, sit with us,” called Mr. Yang, the guy in the white suit.

Hanmi bowed and shakily made her way to the seat on Mr. Yang’s left. Right in front of Jung Jinyoung. OMG.

 

“This is B1A4. Have you heard of them?” asked Mr. Yang.

 

“Y-Yes, sir,” she stammered. Aish! Stammering again! Stop it, Hanmi-yah!

 

“Good, good,” said Mr. Yang. “But I do want them to introduce themselves to you formaly now that you’re going to work together. Jinyoung, you start.”

 

Jinyoung nodded. “Annyeong, Jung Jinyoung-imnida. I’m the leader of B1A4, blood type A.” He reached across the table to shake Hanmi’s hand. Hanmi took it stiffly.

 

OMG, I hope he doesn’t take this wrongly!

 

The next boy was Baro, and he smiled happily. “Hi, Baro-imnida, lead rapper. I hope we become good friends.”

 

Sandeul was next and he grinned. “I’m Sandeul, vocalist. I’ve heard of you. I hope we work together well.”

 

“Maknae Gongchan here! Basically, I’m responsible for the aegyo around here,” said Gongchan and did bunny ears.

 

“I’m CNU, also a rapper,” smiled CNU with his trademark sweet boy smile.

 

“Hello to you all,” said Hanmi, trying hard not to get tongue-tied. “I’m Hanmi, the idol world’s new lyricist. I’ve been active for a year only. I’m hoping for more to come on.”

 

“Alright, that was great. The theme for the new mini-album is ‘Be the One, All for One’. It was a motto coined by the fans, and I thought it would be great to use it in a mini-album. All in favor?” said Mr. Yang.

 

The boys and Hanmi all nodded.

 

“I want you to take your time to create 6 songs for this mini-album, Hanmi-yah. Do you mind if I drop the formalities?” asked Mr. Yang.

 

“Not at all, sir,” smiled Hanmi.

 

“I want a song with the title ‘Still As Ever’. I think it’s kind of catchy, isn’t it?” suggested Baro.

 

“Sounds good! I’ll work on it!” said Hanmi.

 

They talked about the project for a while, until the friendly lady from the front desk knocked.

 

“Mr. Yang? The boys are needed for the shoot now,” she said politely.

 

“Oh, yes, the album jacket shoots. It’s still early. You said your friend will pick you up at 6, Hanmi-yah?” said Mr. Yang.

 

“Yes, sir,” replied Hanmi.

 

“Why don’t you come to see the shooting?”

 

“That would be nice, sir!”

 

The friendly lady led them out, but Mr. Yang called Jinyoung back.

 

“Postpone Jinyoung’s shots for later, Minjung. I need him for a moment,” said Mr. Yang. Jinyoung meekly walked back into the room.

 

Hanmi was curious, so she said, “May I use the restroom? I’ll just catch up with you later.”

 

“Ok,” said Gongchan, who hired himself as her tour guide.

 

Hanmi fell back and made sure there was no one in the hallway before putting her ear against the door, and this what she heard.

 

“Jinyoung-ah, what’s wrong with you? Why don’t you at least try to be happy like your group mates?” Mr. Yang’s voice, scolding Jinyoung.

 

“I’m sorry, sir,” replied Jinyoung dully.

 

“Why did they ever pick you as leader? It should have been CNU, he is the eldest! You are a middle!”

 

Jinyoung didn’t reply.

 

“Yah, are you deaf now? Say something! Defend yourself!”

 

“I’m just… going through something, sir. It’s difficult,” replied Jinyoung in a heavy voice.

 

“You mean your girlfriend? I told you to break up with her because she would be a hazard to your career! Don’t you understand that?”

 

Jinyoung didn’t reply again.

 

“Go on, don’t miss you shoot. Don’t disgrace me again.”

 

“Yes…appa.”

 

Before Hanmi could gasp or anything, the door opened and it knocked her down. She landed (fortunately) on the carpeted floor.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry!” mumbled Jinyoung. He held her wrist gently and helped her up. “Are you hurt?”

 

“No, I’m fine. Are you alright?” asked Hanmi.

 

Jinyoung was kinda taken aback by the question. “Wh-What do you mean?”

 

Hanmi blushed. “I kinda listened through the door. Please don’t be mad at me. I won’t tell if you don’t want me to. I just wanted to know if you were alright.”

 

“You don’t have any business with my personal affairs! You are a newbie here!” yelled Jinyoung. He ran the opposite direction. Hanmi felt broken. In a fanfic, this was worse thing that could happen to the fan/leading lady. Same goes for Hanmi’s new life. Her eyes brimmed with tears as she walked the direction of the shooting set. She bumped into a tall guy.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry,” said mumbled, keeping her head low to avoid anyone seeing her tears.

 

“Hanmi noona? Is that you? What’s wrong?” Hanmi recognized Gongchan’s voice. Oh great.

 

“Nothing, Gongchan-ah. I just feel…”

 

“You’re crying, noona!”

 

“Ssh, please, don’t let anyone know.”

 

“I know what to do, noona. Come on, come with me.”

 

Hanmi followed Gongchan without protest. He led her to a door with a staircase in it. They climbed it and ended up at the very top of WM Entertainment.

 

“Noona, I hope you don’t mind heights,” said Gongchan sheepishly, suddenly realizing he hadn’t asked.

 

“Not at all. I find it comforting being so high,” said Hanmi, taking a deep breath as she wiped her tears away.

 

“We always come up here when we feel bad. CNU hyung, Baro hyung, Sandeul hyung, me, and of course, Jinyoung hyung. Recently, it’s Jinyoung hyung who’s always up here.”

 

Hanmi flinched at his name. “Does he tell you why?”

 

“No, we’re all secretive about our reasons, especially him.”

 

“Oh.”

 

They fell quiet until Hanmi heard a hiccupping quite a short way off. She scanned the place and saw a boy in the ledge. She gulped. Jinyoung.

 

“Oh, I didn’t know hyung was here,” muttered Gongchan. “Oh well, it’s ok. I’m his favorite anyway.”

 

Before Hanmi could stop him, Gongchan approached Jinyoung. “Hey, hyung!”

 

“Gongchan-ah, what are you doing here?! The shoot isn’t over yet,” said Jinyoung.

 

“If that’s the case, you shouldn’t be here too,” shrugged Gongchan.

 

“Do you feel bad now?”

 

“No, but Hanmi noona does.”

 

“Hanmi noo-oh, her,” said Jinyoung once he turned and saw Hanmi. He scoffed and turned back. Hanmi felt crushed again. This was her bias, and he was mad at her.

 

“Are you mad at her, hyung? Why?” asked Gongchan.

 

“She was too nosy,” said Jinyoung simply.

 

“I’m sorry!”

 

The two boys turned to Hanmi, whose eyes were springing up fresh tears.

 

“I didn’t know! I was just worried about you. You didn’t look at all well while we were discussing things, then Mr. Yang calls you in,” explained Hanmi. “I didn’t mean to in your business.”

 

“What’s it to you what I feel?” said Jinyoung coldly, back still turned.

 

“I-I…I’m a fan of B1A4, and you…you are my bias,” said Hanmi quietly.

 

“Oh great, another fan expressing her sympathies,” scoffs Jinyoung.

 

“Hyung?! What is wrong with you? Why are you treating her so bad? We should make her feel welcome! She’ll be a big part of our new production!” protested Gongchan.

 

“Gongchan-ah, please, could you leave us alone? You have to go back to the shoot or Mr. Yang will scold you,” said Jinyoung.

 

Gongchan sadly pouted and lowered his head. “Yes, hyung.”

 

As he passed Hanmi, she gave him an encouraging smile. “Thanks.” Gongchan smiled back at her

 

Hanmi and Jinyoung stood not moving or saying anything for a while. Then Jinyoung spoke.

 

“Ok, look, I’m sorry I yelled at you. It was the wrong place at the wrong time,” he said softly.

 

Hanmi gained the courage to stand alongside him. “I understand. He must be so harsh with you, since you’re his son.”

 

“No one else knows, ok? Be careful around it. I don’t want anyone else to know about anything you heard.”

 

“I promise. You can talk to me about stuff, you know. You can trust me, just saying.”

 

Jinyoung finally smiled at her. “Now I feel like I do. You’re cute, you know?”

 

Hanmi blushed. “Hey, you need to get back down. Mr. Yang will not be pleased if you ditch.”

 

“Right, well, you better come along. He said you go see it too,” smirked Jinyoung.

 

The two new friends made their way to the set, where Gongchan’s shoot was just ending and Jinyoung’s was ready to start.

 

“Jinyoung-ah, hey, where’ve you been?” said CNU.

 

“Just the bathroom, hyung. Hanmi and I ran into each other so we thought to come together,” lied Jinyoung.

 

“That was smooth,” muttered Hanmi, which earned her a warning look from Jinyoung.

 

The shoot went fine. Hanmi admired Jinyoung way more after that. How his little movements and poses look great in the camera, the way he smiled and did aegyo, and everything else. Jinyoung and Hanmi hung out while taking breaks and became closer. The shoot finally ended at 6, when Hanmi got a message.

 

Hey, wuzzup, kiddo? I’m on my way, ok? –Yoonhee unnie

 

“Jinyoung oppa, Yoonhee unnie is on her way to pick me up. I guess I’ll wait for her in the lobby,” whispered Hanmi.

 

“Oh, ok, I’ll wait with you,” said Jinyoung.

 

“You sure? They might need you here,” said Hanmi.

 

“Don’t worry, they won’t miss me,” said Jinyoung. Hanmi stopped. Those words…

 

--flashback—

 

“Isn’t it more dangerous for an idol to be out night? They might worry about you,” said Hanmi.

 

“It’s ok, they won’t miss me,” smiled Taemin.

 

--end of flashback—

 

“Hanmi-yah, you ok?” said Jinyoung, waving his hand in front of her face.

 

“Huh? What? Oh, it’s nothing. I just remembered something,” said Hanmi. “Let’s go down.”

 

Jinyoung smiled an encouraging smile and the two slipped out of the set, and down into the lobby. They seated themselves on the lounge chairs there and started a conversation.

 

“So, Hanmi-yah, why did you decide to be a lyricist?” asked Jinyoung.

 

“It’s not me; actually, it was Mr. Lee who volunteered me. He heard one of my personal compositions and offered me to work in his company. Who wouldn’t say no to that, right?” explained Hanmi.

 

“Yeah, who would?” agreed Jinyoung with a smile.

 

They talked while waiting for Yoonhee, and just like Taemin, Hanmi had Jinyoung captivated by her easy-going attitude and sweet-girl personality. Jinyoung was almost sorry she had to go.

 

“Will you be here tomorrow?” asked Jinyoung as Hanmi got into Yoonhee’s car.

 

“Yeah, I think I will. I’m not done with the songs, so I’m gonna ask Mr. Lee if I could work here. We switched numbers. You can call me if you feel lonely,” said Hanmi.

 

“I definitely will,” smiled JInyoung. He waved at the girls as the car got out of the driveway.

 

“Yah, Hanmi-yah, you got that dude hooked on you,” smirked Yoonhee.

 

“Unnie!” groaned Hanmi, though she secretly blushed. “You know my experience.”

 

“I’m sorry, but you should move on! Get another life. Taemin would like that,” said Yoonhee.

 

Hanmi was quiet for a while. “You think?” she whispered after thinking.

 

“I know so,” said Yoonhee.

 

They drove in silence for a while until they reached Hanmi’s house.

 

“Hey, think about what I said, ok?” said Yoonhee before driving off.

 

When Hanmi was in bed, a text popped up in her phone.

 

Hey! It’s me, Jinyoung. Did you get home safely? –Jinyoung

 

Hanmi smiled. Yes, oppa. You are my oppa, right? –Hanmi

 

The response was immediate. I think so. How old are you? –Jinyoung

 

I’m turning 17 in two days. –Hanmi. This reminded Hanmi just now that she was turning a year older. A lot has changed since last year. She almost lost track of time.

 

I am your oppa! You’ll call me oppa, ok? –Jinyoung

 

I think I already did. ^_^ --Hanmi

 

No, I mean, all the time. –Jinyoung

 

As you wish, oppa~ --Hanmi

 

I have to sleep now, I’m pretty tired. I’ll see you tomorrow, ok? In the rooftop. –Jinyoung

 

Ok, oppa. Sleep well. ^_~ --Hanmi

 

Sweet dreams, my princess. ^_~ --Jinyoung

 

Hanmi had to blush at the last text. Who wouldn’t, right? Hanmi smiled and closed her eyes.

 

‘I’m moving on, Taemin oppa. Are you happy for me?’ she thought. A warm feeling spread in her body, making her feel cozy and hugged.

 

‘Thank you, oppa.’

 

And so this started the happy connection of the two. They hung out all the time for two months. Gongchan even started feeling neglected.

 

“You’re hanging out with her again, hyung?” said Gongchan with an exasperated voice.

 

“This is different, Channie,” said Jinyoung hurriedly. He was getting fixed up in smart-casual.

 

“Why? And what’s with the new polo?” said Gongchan.

 

Jinyoung leveled his eyes with his dongsaeng’s and smiled. “I’m gonna confess to her, Channie,” he said in a low voice. Even if the others were outside, Jinyoung took extra precaution.

 

“Well, it’s about time!” yelled Gongchan. Jinyoung clamped his hands down in the maknae’s mouth.

 

“Sshh! Pabo-yah! Do you want the others to hear? It’s a surprise, ok?” hissed JInyoung.

 

“Alright, I get it, hyung. Good luck!”

 

Jinyoung had told Hanmi earlier to meet him at Namsan tower. Hanmi didn’t say no. So Jinyoung got there 15 minutes earlier to prepare everything. Hanmi arrived at 5:30.

 

“Oppa, it’s pretty up here,” said Hanmi in an awed voice. She was ushered into her seat by Jinyoung.

 

“I like it here too.”

 

An hour passed filled with playful banter until Jinyoung fell serious.

 

“Oppa? Are you ok?” said Hanmi.

 

“Hanmi-yah, I…I brought you up here to tell you something,” said Jinyoung.

 

“What is it?”

 

Jinyoung took a deep breath.

 

“I…I like you, Hanmi-yah. Would you be my…girlfriend?”

 

Hanmi’s heart skipped a beat. This is just like last time, but since Taemin had “given her permission”, Hanmi knew what she wanted again.

 

“Of course, oppa,” she said and smiled sweetly.

 

Hanmi and Jinyoung were walking home. But their pit stop before Hanmi’s place was B1A4’s dorm. Jinyoung had told Hanmi he would tell the boys about them with her. Hanmi agreed.

 

Suddenly, a chilly breeze blew by and parted the clouds. Hanmi looked up at the sudden brightening of the surroundings and found out why.

 

She out again.

 

The next day, she found herself again in her room at home. Just like last time. She felt a sickening feeling at the pit of her stomach. She grabbed her phone from her bedside table. No messages from Jinyoung. She sent him a message.

 

Oppa, please answer me. –Hanmi

 

Almost immediately, a response popped up. Hanmi noona? Jinyoung hyung is gone. –Gongchan

 

Hanmi dropped her phone and curled up in a miserable ball. Her tears flowed from her eyes. Not again. Why is this happening to me?

 

Eunmi heard her sister’s sobs from inside the room.

 

‘Hanmi-yah, I’m sorry,” thought Eunmi.

 

It was the same time of the year: two months after Hanmi’s birthday. Jinyoung and Taemin’s deathday. Hanmi is 17 years old.