Yanghwa Bridge

Let's Not Fall In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

August 2013

It has been more than a week since Ji Yong came back to Seoul. Yes, we hang out. Because it seems like Young Bae is the only friend he has and wherever Young Bae goes, I follow. They don’t do much or to be more precise, they don’t even talk much. Sometimes, I wonder how did they even ended up being best friends. I mean, they barely talk. It’s like they’re always playing the staring game when they meet up. Just staring not talking. I suppose my role would be the legendary ‘light bulb’, always lurking around them, trying to understand the connection between these two beings. Ji Yong never talk to me. All he ever did was to manage a weak smile at me when he sees me. I don’t know but sometimes, I have feelings of him staring at me. Of course, I wouldn’t know if he did because I never dare look into those sad eyes of his. They say that the eyes are the windows to a person’s soul. I’m afraid that once I look at them, I’ll be forever chained.

One Wednesday night, late at night, Young Bae and Ji Yong plan to meet up again. As usual I follow. But this time, it is I who pleaded Young Bae to bring me along. He had asked me to stay home. It took me the whole day to persuade him. I don’t know why but this never happen before. Today, they’re meeting at the Yanghwa Bridge. I feel uneasy and guilty at the same time on our way. Young Bae never talk to me in the car. I shouldn’t have insist.

                               

     ‘Stupid Soo Jung. What were you thinking? They might have important personal things to talk about, and they don’t want you to be eavesdropping. Just what were you thinking?’

I blame myself repeatedly.

We arrive first. Ji Yong is nowhere to be seen. The bridge is quiet at this hour of the day. Everyone’s probably at home, about to sleep. I look over the Han River and the beautiful night lights of Seoul City capture my eyes. Magnificent. I walk towards Young Bae, who is looking at the quiet road, waiting.

                               

     ‘I’m sorry.’ I said in a timid voice.

     ‘For what?’

Young Bae diverts his attention to me.

                               

     ‘For insisting. I shouldn’t have come.’

I bow my head, guilt surrounding me.

Young Bae chuckles and pats my head.

                               

     ‘Silly girl. I just want you to stay home because it is late at night.’

I know he didn’t mean it. He is just trying to be nice to me. I guess today, they have important things to talk about. I shoot him a smile and we watch the city lights together.

The sound of the revving engine from afar can be heard. Ji Yong has arrived in his black motorbike. He is wearing a black leather jacket with a black t-shirt underneath, ripped jeans showing part of his white lower limbs and he finishes off with a pair of Nike ankle sport shoes. When he removes his helmet, he casually his hair with his long fingers to loosened

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter