Young Bae's Childhood Friend

Let's Not Fall In Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Young Bae and I get into my uncle’s old ford truck. As promised yesterday, Young Bae is going to meet up with a friend of his today. They agree to meet at an old rendezvous of theirs, a children playground where they used to play when they were young kids. At least that is what Young Bae told me. I don’t know what’s wrong with me, me being nervous or what, my body keeps on fidgeting on the passenger seat. Young Bae notices, I guess. He turns on my favourite song and places his right hand on my shaking hands, calming me down instantly.

He pulls up outside the fenced property. A motorbike is already parked there. I recognise it as the 2011 Harley Davidson Sportster XL883L Super Low. I am able to name the model because my father was a bike fanatic, although he never owned one. Judging from his ride, Young Bae’s mysterious childhood friend just got me more curious as to what type of person he is.

                               

     ‘He prefers the wind and rain beating against his body. He once told me, he felt free from all the care of the world that way.’

Young Bae looks at the bike and then at me.

     

     ‘This is all he got. He won it in a bet. Not even a single penny is paid for this……He wouldn’t have done it knowing the outcome.’

Young Bae paused before saying the last sentence so soft that I can barely make a word out of it.

We walk into the abandoned children playground. Tall grass grow everywhere, casting shadows around the place. On the far end of the playground, a young man is sitting on a wooden bench with his leg crossed, back facing us. He is waiting for someone. That, must be Young Bae’s childhood friend.

Young Bae and I stand not far away from the bench. I can’t stop staring at his back. He seems… I’m lost

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter