A Date?

He's With Me

"Why are you even bothering with the makeup?" Kyungsoo says as he studies the action of putting on eyeliner.

I stop and look at him annoyed, "Can you stop? I just want to look good okay? I don't know where we're going." I say, blowing my bangs out of my eyes.

He drifts over to his bed and floats just above it so he appears to be sitting on it.

I look back in the mirror and finish my eye liner. My makeup is actually pretty simple today.

Just some eyeliner, mascara, and foundation. Maybe a little blush. Yeah, just a little.

I apply a rose stain to my lips and rub them together. This should be fine.

I start to lift my shirt and then stop right over my belly button.

"Hey Soo, could you um... turn around? "I say kind of embarrassed to ask him to leave.

He turns and floats beyond the wall without saying a word.

I quickly change my clothes brush my hair. When I grab my things and begin to head out, he reappears before me.

His expression is unreadable. "I am going to be right at your side. The whole time."

I roll my eyes and sigh, "I know, just don't try and talk to me while I'm talking to him. It gets confusing, you know?"

He nods and snakes his hand into mine again. I take a deep breath and let his coolness sooth me.

I suddenly feel calm and not nervous at all. I know ill be okay if I have Kyungsoo at my side.

Lets just hope he doesn't try something weird.

 

 

The living room is empty and I'm right on time. A few moments later, Jacob arrives and is now 15 minutes late. 

I cross my arms and frown at him when he strides up to me with the same cocky grin he always wears. 

"What? I thought you would be a little late too. You know, girls."

I sigh and shake my head, "One, ist. Two, I live literally 10 feet away from the living room doors." 

I can feel Kyungsoo's hands on my shoulders, rubbing them slowly, "What an ..." 

He says almost as a whisper; it gives me the chills. 

Suddenly he disappears and Jacob brushes past to open the door for me. 

"Well, since I already made us late, let's get going." He says with a smirk, motioning for me to walk out first. 

He acts like such a cocky bastard. 

This might be more annoying than I thought it would. 

 

 

His car isn't anything impressive, but it is kind of funny that he drives a Prius . He seems almost too big for it.

When we get to his car, he opens the passenger side for me and then proceeds to try to put my seatbelt on for me. 

"Uh sorry," I say, "I can do this part myself." 

He chuckles and puts his hands up again like he's being arrested. "Feisty already? I like it." 

I roll my eyes and shake my head, clicking my seatbelt into place. 

"This guy grosses me out!" Kyungsoo says wickedly. His tone suggests that he does more than just gross him out. Jacob disgusts him. 

"I know..." I mumble under my breath, "Just let me get through this quickly."

Jacob slides into the driver's side and starts the car. He adjusts his mirrors and puts on that same ball cap he always wears.

He backs out cautiously before pulling out of the student lot and driving down the main street.

"I think you're going to like where we're going." He says smiling, seeming genuinely excited. "It's a little ways out though. It's by my hometown."

I nod and look around and notice a bunch of students with the same anxious expression. It really is something you have to get acclimated to, college life.

Jacob takes us onto the freeway and we drive for about an hour until we finally stop in a small town for gas.

After we fill up, he drives onto a canyon that eventually takes us out to a big house on private property.

"This is my home; but don't worry, we wont be spending most of our night here." He says proudly, pulling into the driveway as the gate opens for him.

The property is beautiful. The house is large in size, but appears to be older. There's a porch swing and a few seats that occupy the front deck.

I also notice the tire swing hanging from the center of a weeping willow tree.

 It looks like this house went through a lot of generations with a lot of memories.

I can only imagine how much history lies behind this property.

For some reason, looking at this house makes me smile. Like there is something familiar about it.

 

Jacob parks the car and gets out to open my door.

I get out and look around curiously. But there's something off.

I can't sense Kyungsoo anywhere and it starts to worry me greatly.

I begin to miss his soothing touch and I start to imagine how lost he must feel right now. What if he hit a wall again?

Right as I feel these thoughts consume me, he is beside me again.

"For some reason, I can't go in there. There is something about this property that won't let me get past the porch."  He says seriously. "If you need me, come out and call out." He says before vanishing again.

Another wall? I wonder why.

Jacob starts towards the front of the house before looking back at me, "Are you coming?"

He grins as I shake out my thoughts while walking towards him, "Sorry, spacing out."

Jacob grabs my arm and pulls me into the house. It has a very homely charm. A lot of the furniture appears to be antique.

A nice change from my cold, modern house my family likes to call home.

I take a seat on his couch, as prompted, and look around the living room.

I notice that there aren't any photos, but there are noticeable spots from where the frames used to be.

He leaves me and goes into another room while I look around. I stand up and search for any photos I can find.

I don't know why I am interested, but it seems a bit odd that there aren't any photos.

On top of the mantle of the fireplace, there's a picture frame that is faced down.

I decide not to investigate and to just ask Jacob when he gets back. But also, why did he bring me to his home?

He comes back into the room with two iced teas. He sets one down in front of me onto the coffee table.

"So," he starts, "wondering why I brought you here?" He asks with a goofy grin, and I nod, taking a sip of my iced tea; which was rather good, by the way.

"Believe it or not I'm kind old fashioned. And what a better way to get to know someone than get to know their background? Besides, it's a nice break from all of the video games." He says with a chuckle.

There's a change in his attitude, I can tell that he's being genuine. He might even be a little vulnerable right now. He doesn't seem over confident for once.

I smile and nod, looking around, "It's really nice here. Seems like the perfect place for a family. Good childhood?"

He shrugs and takes off his baseball cap, running his fingers through his hair. "My dad passed away when I was young, but I always had my brother to look after me. So I did have a great role model. He was into sports, and was surrounded by awesome people. He was loved by everyone. Even though he's a half brother, it never changed how much he cared about me. " He smiles and looks at his hat before putting it back on.

"Sounds like a good time." I say, nodding. "I just recently lost my Dad, and I have a little twerp of a brother. I guess I kind of hope he looks up to me in some way." I shrug and take another sip of tea.

Jacob nods and smiles at me softly; an expression I haven't seen yet. "I knew there was something connecting us."

"By the way, Jacob. I can tell you really love that hat. Does it have any special meaning to you?" I ask, setting my tea down and looking back up at him.

He nods and takes it off again once more. "My brother is seven years older than me, and he gave me this hat right before he got into his big accident. He's been in a coma ever since."

He seems to be looking at his hat longingly. 

"Big accident?" I ask, slightly more interested now.

"Well..." He begins softly, "There's something I wanted to talk to you about...We think it's an accident--"

The sound of the door opening interrupts our conversation.

"Mom! I didn't know you'd be here this weekend!" Jacob says a bit worried, standing up to meet her at the door.

I stand up too because I don't want to be rude, but when I do, I recognize her.

It's the older woman from the café at the dorms! With the pocket watch!

Everything seems too weird and coincidental today.

"It's nice to see you again." She says with a soft smile and warm eyes. I smile back and nod. "Same to you."

Jacob looks back at me, "Wait, you've met?"

"I was at the café researching again, you know, for your brother." She says, walking in and taking a seat on the chair across from us.

"So, mom, do you think he'll wake up?" Jacob asks with an excited grin. It's kind of cute, he looks like a kid about to get a gift.

She smiles and shakes her head, "You know how it is, it's all 'what ifs'."

Jacob's excitement seems to dwindle a bit, "Well- that means there's always a chance."

I nod and impulsively rub his back; something Kyungsoo does for me when I'm upset.

"Kyungsoo is a fighter; you know he'll wake up." His mom says with a smile before standing up and walking into another room.

I feel something drop in my stomach. It all makes sense now. The walls, the watch, the seven year difference!

I look at Jacob wide eyed, and he looks at me with a calm expression.

"Yes," he says, "the supposed ghost who haunts our floor, and in your room, is my brother." 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey howdy hey there! Thank you for reading and staying with my story. As always feel free to follow my story and upvote it. Again, if you're feeling SUPER generous, you could leave a comment below!