Discovery

He's With Me

Why. Why am I so terrible right now?!

"Ugh!" I say as I throw down my headphones in frustration. "Dammit!"

I scoot away from my desk and begin to pace around the room. 

"Jimin, you have been at this all night, maybe you should go ahead and give it a rest." Kyungsoo says, resting a cold hand on my shoulder. 

I sigh out and start to relax, his touch calming me. I shake my head, "Sorry, I have to beat him." 

Kyungsoo nods and pets my head, "I know, and I want you to win twice as much."

He starts to frown, "There's no way you're going on a date with him. No way."

I really don't want to lose my pride; that is what I'm really focused on. I could care less about going on the date. 

I mean, what's so bad about it anyway? Jacob is nice enough. And he's kind of cute, in his own way. 

I look at Kyungsoo and now he's scowling, it's like he can read my mind. 

"What?" I say, moving away from him and pulling my sweatshirt on. 

"Where are you going?" He says, suddenly changing his expression to a curious one. 

"Out." I say, picking up my bag and looking in the mirror to fix my hair. 

Kyungsoo yanks on the back of my jacket again and appears in front of me. 

"Tell me you aren't going to go get a coffee at this hour." He says, blocking the door. 

I roll my eyes and attempt to walk through him, but he doesn't budge. He looks like he's concentrating pretty hard. 

I back up and cross my arms, "Just let me go. I promise this is the last cup." 

"You said that three cups ago! It's 4am!" He says pointing at my desk. 

Well, he's right. The cups are stacked high next to my computer and I guess I didn't notice the time before. 

"Alright, really, Soo. This is it. Do you want anything?" I say absentmindedly, before I can stop myself.

There is a silence before he responds, "Hot cheetos. I want hot cheetos." 

I'm not going to question it, even though I'm sure he can't eat them.

I nod and on my way out I hear him say, "The puffy ones!" 

 

 

This probably my seventh trip down to the cafe and I'm pretty sure they know what I want to order by now. 

So as it seems, the cafe and most of the drink options remind me of instant coffee. 

The only thing that is semi-decent so far is the mocha latte. It mostly just tastes like chocolate. 

I pull out my meal card, as I see they've already started on my order. I also plop a giant bag of hot cheetos onto the counter, the puffy ones. 

I pay and start to head out and back to my dorm. 

There's something that catches my eye, something shiny. 

I look over and see a middle aged woman with a laptop open and three cups of coffee next to her. She's scratching things down into a notepad frantically. 

She has a fair complexion with long black hair and pretty full lips. If it weren't for the lines of age and worry, she'd be quite beautiful. 

I notice her hands are covered in bandaids and she wears a name tag. She must work in housing, maybe the director. 

She looks over at something on the table, its round and gold. 

It can't be, can it? I change directions and pretend I'm going to walk past her. 

As I get closer, I notice it's a pocket watch. Is this mere coincidence? People don't normally just pull out pocket watches, right? 

She looks up at me and smiles, "It's nice isn't it? Are you into vintage items like this?" She asks with a sweet expression. 

I shake my head and smile back, " I was just thinking it's really rare to see people with pocket watches these days. It is really beautiful though." 

She nods, "Yes it is, very sentimentally valuable to me. Would you like to have a look inside?" She asks. 

"Yes of course." I say as I take a seat across from her.  

She opens the watch and I notice that it has an open mechanical face with silver hands. 

On the inside of the cover it has a saying, 'Expect nothing, appreciate everything' 

"It is even more beautiful inside..." I say, marveling at it. "I can see why you treasure it." 

She nods and smiles at me, "Maybe I will see you again and tell you the story behind it." 

I nod and smile back before standing up, "I hope to see you again. Have good rest of your day!" 

 

 

Hurrying back to the dorms, I sip my coffee and notice that it is already starting to become cold. 

I wonder if that pocket watch has any relation to Soo? Or is it mere coincidence? 

I hurry into the elevator and tap my foot in agitation. Kyungsoo is going to be pissed that I am this late. 

And almost as if he's heard me an image appears before me, nearly knocking the coffee out of my hand. 

"What took you so long?!" Kyungsoo says, clearly agitated. 

I sigh and toss the bag at him, but it fazes though him and falls to the elevator floor. 

He seems a bit pained and floats closer, "I got worried, so I tried to come down there. But for some reason, I couldn't get into the cafe." 

I look at him quizzically, "What do you mean?" 

"Every time I would tried to get in, I would crash into a wall. It's happened before but only by the housing offices." He says, turning around when the elevator opens. 

Kyungsoo steps aside for me to go first and I bump into something solid, like concrete again. 

Another ghost? 

No. I look up and see Jacob looking down at me. He has dark circles under his eyes and is holding a travel mug that says, 'No crying in baseball'. 

I laugh a little at his pitiful state before I realize that I probably look like that too. 

He smirks and walks into the elevator, and I continue walking as the doors begin to close. 

"Hey, noob!" I hear him say, causing me to frown. 

I turn around, "What?!" 

He tosses me the bag of hot cheetos, "Don't forget these. Gamer fuel." He winks at me and the elevator doors shut. 

Kyungsoo makes a cringy sound and shivers. He's back to being next to me. 

"That guy gives me the creeps, make sure you beat him so that you don't have to go anywhere alone with him." He says, nodding and leaving me behind. 

 

 

Why. Everyone is crowded in the living room for our match. He already has a console hooked up to the TV, and two chairs perfectly placed side by side. 

I'm really starting to think that I don't want to do this. 

As I walk into the room, glares are thrown in my direction. I guess that's what you get for being the weirdo of the floor. 

There are two sports drink bottles on each chair, and a cereal bar as well. 

I didn't think he'd be this nice. Maybe he's just trying to butter me up so I'll let him take me on a date anyway. 

I put the cereal bar and gatorade on the table in front of me, and crack all of my knuckles.

Time to get serious. 

Suddenly all of the people around me begin to erupt with "woop"s and other chants.  I turn around to see Jacob striding towards me with his cocky grin. 

He sits down and hands me a controller. 

 

 

When the game starts, I immediately get the first two kills.

"Easy." I say under my breath and feel a bit relieved.

 The crowd is silent for the rest of the match. 

 

 

 

I swept him. He couldn't get a single kill on me. I feel kind of bad in a way. 

Kyungsoo is no where to be found when the match ends and I emerge victorious. 

I kind of feel sad because there is no one to celebrate with, and all of Jacob's friends just left half way through. 

He packs up his system and heads back to his room. 

"Jacob." I say before he leaves, "Good game, maybe we could hang out sometime." 

He turns back and grins, "Saturday. Living room. Two o'clock. Don't be late." 

He turns his back and walks out. 

Well, I guess I am going on that date.  
 


_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey! Thank you so much for reading! If you liked this please follow my story and upvote it! It would make me super happy! And if you're feeling SUPER generous, you could leave a comment on how you feel about this chapter or the story so far.