Good and Ached

Summer Job

“DooJoon-ah. Are you dating?”

 

Lie. “No? Why?”

 

“You sure?” his boss shot him a dangerous look before reaching into his drawer pulling out a stack of photos.

 

“Hyung. I can explain.”

 

“No. Don’t give me the crap and like – I can’t help it. My heart beats when I see her. Save this for your B2ST members. You as a leader have failed. You are supposed to be a good example to your members and friends. But now? I’m really disappointed. I thought you are the more responsible one in the group.” His boss literally shouted at him.

 

“Please Hyung. I really don’t want to break her heart.”

 

“Do you want to do it yourself or do you want me to interfere?” his boss asked him, merciless and his tone was finalized.

 

There, he was trapped like a mouse, imprisoned in a cage and the only way to get out was to break the heart of the girl that he has sworn to protect. How ironic.

 

DooJoon’s boss gave a small nod when he saw the decision in DooJoon’s eyes. “Glad that you can understand. This is the best solution.”

 

But DooJoon couldn’t  hear anything his hyung was telling him now. All he could think of was how to break the news to MiEun.

 

---

 

The lone man staggered back to his house, eyes dilated, hands shaking and his heart completely destroyed. He decided that he cannot let s see himself in such a state – weak and helpless. He sank down to the floor outside his dorm door, and let the pain and sorrow take over. He felt suffocated, like he was being choked. It was torturing him inside and out. He tried to yell but nothing came out. He smashed his hand to the hard cement floor but he could feel nothing at all. He was completely enveloped in the pain.

 

He thought of MiEun. If he was already in so much pain, for sure it will hit her so many times more. But this time he won’t be there to shield her from the pain. He can’t be there to stop her tears. He thought of her sweet smile. Her angel-like face. Her ‘I Love You’s. Then without any warning, tears spilled as they flew down his face.

 

Now, all he can think of is whether which will hurt less – to leave her or to get her to leave him?

 

---

MiEun headed to the park near her house, since DooJoon suddenly called for her to meet him there. She smiled to herself as she replayed today’s scene in her head. She was confident that this time, it would be different. They are going to last long, start a family and have each other’s tombstones next to each other. He is the one.

 

She spotted DooJoon sitting alone on one of the park benches. She made a plan for her entry. She sneaked behind him and placed her hands over his eyes, “Guess who?”

 

“Of course my beautiful jagiya, that I’ll love forever.” He replied, hoping that she wouldn’t realize that his voice broke near the end.

 

“Ayyy. No fun.” She replied playfully as she went to sit next to him and tangled her fingers with his. His hand is so cold. How long did he wait here?

 

“Baby… I have something to tell you.” DooJoon said softly, as he removed his hands from hers.

 

“Yeah?”

 

“Let’s……” he said, but his words seemed to be jammed in his throat. “Let’s…… break up.” He tried again, this time successful.

 

“E.. Ehh?” MiEun replied, taken aback as she blinked and tried to clear her head.

 

“MiEun-ah. My boss called just now. He said that we cannot date. I’m not supposed to date… He wants us to break up.” DooJoon said, as he lifted his head to meet MiEun’s eyes.

 

“And… You said no. Right?” MiEun asked, praying that this is all a dream “Tell me that you said no please. PLEASE!” she replied, getting louder.

 

“I’m sorry. I guess it’s the end for us.”

 

“Mwo? You said.”

 

“I know what I said. But some promises are meant to be broken.” DooJoon said, trying to end it quickly since he was torn inside.

 

“Are you telling me that work is more important than me?!” she yelled, tears in her eyes, her face flushed.

 

DooJoon closed his eyes before he sent a prayer to the angels. “Yes.” Please let my baby be okay. Take away her pain and inject it in me. I don’t mind. Please. I beg you.

 

MiEun stubbornly resisted to what she was hearing. “Oppa. Is it me? Did I do something wrong? Is it my dressing? My hair? My personality? Tell me. I’ll change. Please…. Don’t leave me. I can’t take it.” She pleaded, clutching at his hands while staring into his eyes wishing to see a glimpse of hope in them.

 

“No. You’re perfect.” He replied softly, taking a while as he swallowed back his tears “I… I’m sorry.”

 

Figuring that he couldn’t take it anymore and his tears would overflow anytime, he stood up and walked away, leaving MiEun in the park, alone. As he walked to the entrance of the park, he covered his mouth with his hands as his tears streamed down his face, uncontrollable. He did it. He left her. Now, he was worried whether the angels heard his prayer.  

 

I’m sorry. But I love you.

 

---

She looked at him walk away, abandoning her and everything that was theirs. How can he be so heartless?

Her vision blurred as her eyes was filled to the brim with tears. Déjà vu. They spilled. One, two. Then, as if the floodgates were opened, tears began to fall all over. She tried to stop but couldn’t. She crouched to the ground, hanging her head. She was ashamed to see the world. It was as if someone tore away her soul. She felt completely exposed and utterly shattered inside. How foolish of her to think that he was going to be her happy ending. She felt defeated. She was foolish enough to let the first jerk break her. Now, she’s letting history repeating itself. It was as if he smashed her heart into a wall and it broke into a million pieces.

She was sure that she didn’t have a heart anymore but why was it still hurting so much?

Collapsing to the ground, she lied there as she hugged her legs to her chest, trying to prevent herself from tearing apart. The ringing in her ears wouldn’t stop. The ache in her chest won’t go away. She was certain that she was going to die. That seemed like a very good option now.

He took away her pain, mended the holes in her heart, and replaced the missing piece in her heart. He filled her heart up to the fullest, taking away her emptiness. He promised her their happy ending. He swore to protect her. Yet? Now he was nowhere to be seen when she is being attacked by swords and arrows. Where did her shield go? It was sending an injured soldier to the battlefield without any armor. It promised nothing but death.

She wasn’t strong. She wasn’t made of steel. She hurt so much. She felt so hollow. She…..

Slowly, she fell out of conscious, and the last thing she saw, was a dark figure running towards her. Then, she out.

-------------------------------------------------------

 

Hi, me again. Sorry for slow updates. Part-time job is killing me.