kai from exo

el•e•ment

Kyungsoo stood at his uncle's doorway watching Jongin fold his blanket. He found him very strange yet interesting. He’s never met anyone so unworldly. “Did you accept samchuns’ suggestion?” he asked the boy. Jongin looked up from folding his blanket, “I’ve thought it over” he answered. “I have too” Kyungsoo said. “You have?” Jongin asked surprised. Kyungsoo walked into the room and sat on his uncle's bed facing him. “I figured it’s better to keep your mind off of the bad that’s happening between your parents. I know school might be the last place on earth anyone would want to pass time in but it’ll help. And maybe, making new friends can help too.” Jongin looked down shyly. Kyungsoo couldn’t help but smile from it, he found it cute. “I think I might do that” he mumbled. “If it makes you feel better, I’ll be with you the whole time.” He knew they most likely won't be in the same classes if he enrolled except homeroom being that they were in the same grade and the only way being together would be possible was if he visited.
     “We’ll be together the whole time?” Jongin looked excitedly at him.
     “Mmhm.”
     “But, won’t they need my information?”
     Kyungsoo smiled at him, “not as much as if you were to enroll in the classes. You’re going as a visitor so samchun can can write a note stating that. That will be all the information they’ll need from you. I’ve seen a few classmates have relatives come with them to school.” He rested on his side and continued talking, “I mean, it’s really up to you.” Jongin, once again, looked down. “Would you like to come with me today to try it out? If you don’t feel comfortable then I can talk to samchun about you staying home.”
     “I’ll like to go with you.” 
     “Good,” kyungsoo got off the bed “it’ll be fine, okay? Be ready in a hour.”

Yunho sat at the dining table, already dressed in his uniform, polishing his boots when Kyungsoo approached him with the pen and paper needed for him to write the note for Kai. He set them on the table. Yunho glanced at the paper then continued working on his boot, “what’s that for?” He sat down on the chair next to him. “It’s for Kai’s permission of visit.” A smile appeared on his face. “You got him to agree to go.” Kyungsoo was curious of his relationship with Kai. Is he really a son of a friend? “Today will be a test run, if he’s comfortable he’ll come with me until it’s time for him to leave” he told him as Yunho began to write the note. “Samchun, is he truly a son of a friend?” Yunho continued writing and said, “what else can he be?” Kyungsoo didn’t say anything else. He was right, what a stupid question. He didn’t know why he the feeling in his gut that something wasn’t right. He didn’t know why his uncle, the one who helped take care of him, the one who always made sure that he had everything he needed and was the only male father figure he had while growing up gave him this feeling. Kyungsoo didn’t want to be suspicious of him. It made him feel guilty to feel so.
     After Yunho wrote the note, he went into the bedroom where Kai was. He stood in that bedroom for ten minutes. Kyungsoo waited in the kitchen with his things. 
“Kyungsoo,” Yunho says walking out the room, with Kai behind him, his wallet in hand. Kai goes to the front door where the shoes were. “I’m going to need you to do me a favor, okay?” He nods. “After school, take the car and go into town.” He counts his money and then hands it to the boy. “What is this for?” Yunho puts the rest of his money in his wallet and in his back pants pocket. “It’s to buy Jonー” he cleared his throat, “to buy Kai clothing and whatever else he needs for his stay.” Why didn’t he bring what he needed with him? “Okay.” Yunho put his hand on his head and smiled, “thank you for being a good sport about this.” Then grabs his boots and goes to where Kai was to put them on. After he was finished, he told Kai to give him a call anything strange were to happen then ruffled his hair and walked out the house. That gut feeling came back again. 

After they dropped the note in the main office, they headed for the homeroom. “Don't worry” Kyungsoo repeated on the walk. “I'm not worried” Kai told him. But when he was introduced to the teacher, mr. Lee, his expression said otherwise. His eyes went over every face in the room staring at him. “Class” he clapped to get their attention, but he already their attention once the boys walked into the room. “I'll like you to welcome–” he turned towards Kai for his full name. “Kim Kai” he gave him. The teacher smiled at him and turned back to the eyes of the curious. “I'll like you to welcome Kim Kai. He is the cousin of Do Kyungsoo and he’ll be sitting in as a visitor. Please treat him well and help him feel welcomed.” He turned to Kai once more and said, “do you want to say a few words?” Kai looked at Kyungsoo for help. “He doesn't talk much sir” he told the man. “Well enough. He may sit next to you but please pay attention in your classes.” Kai followed Kyungsoo to his seat by the window. Kai sat on the left. Kyungsoo caught sight of the group of girls who sat in the front staring at them–Kai–already with the whispering and giggles. “Seems like you're already popular” he said to him. “Me?” Kyungsoo nodded then nudged his head over to the girls. He looked at them. They squealed and quickly looked away. Kai looked back at the boy, “why do they make that noise?” Kyungsoo laughed, “I don't know. That's just what girls do.” He shook his head unimpressed with them, “they're very loud.” He laughed again because Kai sounded like an elderly man. 

     It was strange for him to have someone tailing him from class to class. Kai didn't say a word the whole time, instead, he took in his surroundings and the chaos of switching rooms. A lot of the girls suddenly came up to Kyungsoo to strike conversation, which they never do since he ignore them. All the girls in his school were the same. Always on their phone either texting or on SNS. Drooling over idols from popular boy groups. Each week it would be a new member, last week it was this one named Jungkook. Now it's a new one from EXO–he forgot his name. It was hard to keep up. 
     It was during free period the fourth group came up to where he and Kai sat. Kyungsoo checked over his math homework with him looking over his shoulder. The boy glanced over at him and made eye contact–like the night at Halmonis’–he quickly looked away. Something about him being this close made him hot under the collar. Kyungsoo reached over to the window and slid it open letting in the cool breeze. Someone their teeth then said, “yah, close the window Kyungsoo. I have allergies!” Unfortunately, he had to close it after their were some noises of agreement. He looked from the corner of his eye, he was still close. I guess he didn't get the message. 
     “Do you need help?” Kai asked.
     “I'm just going over it before I hand it in.”
     “So, you don't need help?”
     “I'm certain I have them correct” he said proudly.
     “I've seen eight that are wrong.” Just like that his pride was shattered. “Do you want me to help?”
     “I went over them three times last night. How?” He began looking over the problems once again in search of the eight that were incorrect. 
     “Hello Kyungsoo” he heard sing-song. They both looked up. Irene and her two sidekicks stood in front the boys desk. Kyungsoo fought really hard not to curse. He literally hated Irene’s guts ever since he moved here with his uncle. 
     “Hello Irene” I didn't hide my annoyance.
     “What are you guys doing?” 
     “Going over homework.” 
     Her eyes moved from the boy to Kai then to him again. It was a signal for introduction. He didn't. She made the move. “Hello, I'm Irene” she bowed her head. Kai looked at Kyungsoo for a hint on what to do. He shrugged thinking, why the hell not? The quicker she can leave. “Hello, I'm Kai” he imitated her bow. “Omo, he has the same name as him” Sulli whispered to Krystal. “He even looks like him too” Krystal said keeping her eyes looked on Kai’s. This annoyed Kyungsoo even more because he knew who they were comparing him to. Their new boy crush of the week. Kai of EXO. They were really pathetic. Irene pulls a chair up to the desk. Krystal still stares at Kai. Sulli is still smiling. Kyungsoo sits back in shock. What was going on? 
     “I hear you’re related to Kyungsoo, is that true?” She propped her elbows on the desk and folded her hands underneath her chin. 
     “Yes” Kai answered. 
     “You two look nothing alike.” 
     “It doesn’t mean that we aren’t” his pitch went up a notch from nervousness. 
     Kyungsoo didn’t like her making him feel that way.
     Irene smiled, “I’m not doubting you aren’t.”
     “Okay. That’s enough of you pestering him. We need to get back to our work here.”
     “Mm, Kyungsoo,” she sat back in the chair and looked at him, “ever the gentlemen.”
     “I’m sure there’s other guys out there for you to leech on to.”
     “Why are you such a ?”
     “Because I don’t like you. Why can’t you understand that?”
     “Yah!” she yelled, making everyone look at them and Kai to jump, “that’s no way to talk to a girl.”
     “Let’s just go” Sulli said grabbing Irene’s arm.
     “No” she yanked it away and stood up. “I don’t know what’s your problem. You think you’re better than me or something? I should sm–” then suddenly her sentence trailed off. Her body wobbled and her eyes looked up to the ceiling. Kyungsoo and her sidekicks looked up to see what it was she was looking at but there was nothing there. In monotone she said, “let’s leave them alone.” Both girls exchanged confused looks then followed her away from the table and out the room. The class fell back to its normal routine of chatter, laughter and reviewing work. “That was weird” Kyungsoo said reaching for his pencil. A drop of crimson fell on the page of his notebook. He pulled his hand away then found where the source. Kai.