who are you?

el•e•ment

“You'll be sleeping in Kyungsoo’s room.” Yunho opened the bedroom door to reveal a spotless room. It didn't look like anyone had been in it in months. “He's a bit of a neat freak so I'll have to advise you to clean up after yourself” he informed Jongin. The walls were painted teal and the bed sheets were white. “He’s away at camp at the moment so there isn't any point on having you sleep on the couch in the living room when there's a perfectly unused bed here.” Jongin passed his fingers on the smooth wood bureau then picked up a small rectangular glass bottle that contained a clear liquid. “That's cologne” Yunho told him. “You spray it on your body and clothing to smell good.” Jongin removed the top and sniffed near the spritzer. It had a woody aromatic fragrance with a clean citrus scent to it. “Smells good, huh?” Jong in nodded putting the top back on and setting it down where it originally was.
     “Well,” Yunho put his hands in the pocket of his uniform pants. “I'll leave you alone to rest. My room is just down the hall so don't be afraid to knock if you need anything. Good night, Jongin.”
     “Good night, Yunho.”
     He closed the door behind him, leaving Jongin alone to explore and he did just that. On his bureau were a few “skin “moisturizes,” “colognes,” and a black comb. The young man walked to the sliding doors of what appeared to be his closet. He passed his hand across a couple of white collared shirts then different textured and colored shirts from short to long sleeve. What he found strange was the shoes, the styles varied just like the shirts. They weren't the kind everyone wore back at home. At the wide four paned window with the view of the back yard, were numerous trophies for numerous activities. Soccer, science, mathematics and literature. Kyungsoo appeared to be intelligent and athletic. After collecting what information he could of the young man, Jongin got into bed but struggled to fall asleep. After all, this wasn't his bed nor home.

When he did fall asleep, he was awoken by a loud gasp. The boy from the picture stared at him in confusion. “Who are you and what are you doing in my room?” Kyungsoo demanded. Jongin quickly got out of the bed. He stood still not sure what to do or say. “Your uncle…” he struggled with the words. He didn't feel quite comfortable with telling him the truth of how he was found. Thankfully, Yunho came in and saved him the struggle.
     “Kyungsoo, what are you doing here?”
     “I live here,” he crossed his arms over his chest, “what is he doing here is the question?”
     Yunho looked at Jongin, “I forgot to mention that he's also lacks formality when it comes to me.” He then turned his attention back to the improper boy, “I told him to sleep here but of course I wasn't aware you would be returning early.”
     “It began to rain at the camp so they brought us home earlier. Who is he?”
     “His name is Kai, he's a son of a friend of mine and he’ll be staying with us for a while.”
     “Of a friend?” He looked at Jongin with suspicion and doubt, “I don't remember the four of them being old enough to have a son around my age.”
     “Why don't you just out of other people's business? He's a son of a friend of mine, leave it at that. Come Kai, I'll set you up in my room.” Yunho motioned for Jongin to follow him. He walked passed Kyungsoo and caught whiff of another cologne mixed wit an earthy scent. He indeed had been, what they call, “camping.” He was outside when he heard him say to Yunho, “what with his eyes?” but instead of answering the boy he told him to “shut up and go to sleep.”

“I'm sorry about my nephew,” Yunho said as he began making a bed on the floor next to his bigger bed. “He's just very blunt if that's a good way of putting it. He didn't scare you, did he?” Jongin shook his head no. “Good, he can be quite intimidating at times. His teachers all say so,” he laughed. “It's good to know you don't scare easy. Well, here we are.” He finished with the bed then looked at it with his hands on his hips then looked at the boy. “Are you sure you don't want to sleep on my bed? It's more comfortable.” Jongin walked from where he stood watching to the bed on the floor, “you've done already enough. I'll sleep here.” He could feel Yunho’s guilt for allowing him to sleep on the floor. The man didn't say anything else and shut the lights off and got into bed. It was silent. Jongin stared up at the ceiling. He could hear the sounds of Kyungsoo walking in his bedroom, opening drawers, he even heard him sigh. Jongin wondered if he suspected he wasn't like them. Did he know like Yunho?

     The following morning, Jongin found Yunho in the kitchen pouring coffee into his thermal mug. “Oh, good morning,” he smiled once he caught glimpse of him entering. “Good morning” Jongin’s voice was hoarse from sleep, something that never happens. He finished pouring his coffee then set the saucer down, put the top on the mug then faced him. “I decided I should wait for you to wake up before I leave being we didn't get to speak about your situation.” He wasn't sure what the man meant. “My situation?” Yunho nodded, “you'll be staying here until they return, correct?” Jongin didn't have anywhere else to go. He wasn't sure anyone else would be so understanding and calm with who/what he was. Yunho looked at him and saw him like he was any ordinary person. He gave him a place to stay and a shower, clothing and a bed. He was better off staying here with him.
     “Yes, I'll be staying” he said.
     “Why were you down here? I'm sorry, I don't mean to impose it's just that when I was younger, I've read so much about your home and your people. To actually meet you in person, well you must know the feeling. I'm sure they teach you all about our kind down here. I find you quite fascinating. I'm full of questions and I'm sure you are too.”
     “I understand,” the boy sat down at the table. Should I tell him why we came down here? It wasn't exactly confidential information anyway. “My parents both have been on your planet before, in fact all the adults have. It's tradition for each of us to visit for the first time here on our eighteenth birthday. Except I got too absorbed in the moment and wandered too far from the others.”
     “So, they leave you?”
     “We have a certain amount of time to be on your planet. We shouldn’t overstay to avoid any chance of being discovered.”
     “But still, to leave you alone on your first visit, on your birthday, it seems cold.”
     “It may seem that way but they were only following protocol.”
     “Protocol,” he repeated with a nod. “I see. Do they have plans to return?”
     “Yes. At the next full moon.”
     “The next full moon,” he took a sip from his mug, concentrating on the boy’s face for a moment, calculating when the next full moon was. “That's almost a month from now,” he looked at him. “What are you going to do to bide your time?”
     “I’m not sure. What do you suggest?”
     “Might as well go back with a few good stories, don’t you think? Create your own memories of your first visit on Earth. I can make a few things happen and enroll you in the high school with Kyungsoo, introduce you a cousin of some sorts.”
     “You told him I was a son of a friend.”
     “I’ll work something out,” he laughed. “In the meantime, I think I might take you in with me. I don’t want to leave you here alone. We also have to do something about those eyes of yours, one look at you and there’ll be a load of questions and stares.”