lost and found

el•e•ment

Jung Yunho ended his night like usual. He drove down the isolated road towards his house like usual. He tapped his steering wheel to the beat of the song that played lowly on the radio like usual. He always drove on Golib-doen Road, it was quite and isolated (hence the meaning of the name for the road.) Yunho decided on taking Golib-deon Road because it happened to be his favorite scenic route. It was a popular road in in all of Korea, best known for its acres of thick woods.

     The sky was an unusual light blue—almost neon—this particular night. Yunho had no idea there was going to be a full moon tonight. The moon seemed closer than it had been the night before and cast a white shadow over causing everything to glow. “Beautiful” Yunho whispered, leaning closely to the steering wheel to get a better look at the view. Never had he seen anything as magical as this. This was perfect for a picture, he needed to share this with his nephew. Yunho slightly lifted his foot off the gas pedal to slow down and then pulled off to the side of the road. He put the car in park then turned in his seat to dig in his black duffle for his Nikon camera. Once he got his camera, he exited the car and walked to the front, turned the camera on then focused the camera on a perfect shot. He first took a picture of the sky. CLICK. Yunho now focused on a shot where he caught the road, the woods on both sides and the sky altogether. CLICK.

     His camera was focused on his car, attempting to get a picture with this unique background when he heard the cracking of a twig. He lowered the camera. He couldn’t pick which direction the noise came from, because of the silence, the noise echoed. CRACK! He heard the noise all around him followed by footsteps on the autumn leaves. At this point, Yunho was on full alert. His heartbeat picked up tempo. He wasn’t alone. There was someone in the woods and they were watching him but he didn’t know from which side. Yunho scanned the woods on his right then to his left, where he saw a pair of glowing eyes focused on him. They were eyes that belonged to almost any nocturnal animal that lived in the woods and those varied from deer to wolf only, these eyes were too high up from the ground to belong to an animal. This couldn’t be human. Yunho was suddenly aware of his heavy breathing. He couldn’t manage to gain control of his feet, they felt extremely heavy now and that caused a wave of panic to wash over him.
     “Wh–who are you?” Yunho stammered. There was no reply. “What is it that you want?” he asked, making a second attempt to figure out what the eyes belonged to. The eyes moved closer and the footsteps louder. Yunho channeled all his energy into moving his feet. He didn’t know what the thing is or what it can do. “What do you want?” panic all in his voice. Out from the darkness appeared a young man. His hair was cut short and in the shade of ash brown. He stood at about 5 foot 11 inches, thin and looked healthy. He was wearing a blue short-sleeve cotton shirt and matching loose pants with white tennis-like sneakers. Though his clothing appeared spotted with Earth he didn’t look feral. What was he doing out here? Yunho thought. The young man remained a few feet away from him, his eyes remaining with its glow.
     “They’ve left” his spoke with a deep yet smooth voice.
     “What? Who’s left?’
     “Everyone” he blinked.
     It didn’t occur to Yunho to take a closer look at the young man's eye because he stood away from him. But his blinking caused him to focus on them. The man's eyes were no ordinary human-being eyes you’ll see your parents or your friends have. His eyes were a warm yellow with a light green around vertical pupils. The man had cat-like eyes. Cat eyes? The only thing—species—the only species that had cat eyes were not human. The cat eyes were common in the Extraterrestrial realm. Yunho slowly covered his mouth in shock, “this can’t be.” It all made sense now. The sky, the full moon, and the extraordinary night scene. They had come to visit Earth but had left this young specimen behind. Yunho was no longer fearful but both intrigued and excited. Since his youth, he had read and learned all there was to on these species but never met one. He thought the opportunity to meet these creatures would come when he should pass away. But here he was. Flesh and all. Face-to-face.
     “Why did they leave you?” Yunho asked.
     “I wandered off too far and couldn’t make it back on time.”
     “Did you travel on a UFO?”
     “A UFO?” he looked confused.
     UFO was something the humans gave the space/aircrafts.
     “I’m sorry,” Yunho searched for a term to call it, one he would understand. “Ship?”
     “Yes. How do you know?”
     “It’s sort of a known thing down here. I’ve also read everything there is written on your kind. Of course, I’m not saying it’s true.”
     He gave Yunho a nod.
     “Say,” Yunho cleared his throat, “why don’t you came back with me to my home?”
     “I’m not sure I should leave” he said looking over his shoulder back into the woods.
     “Are you going to wait out here the whole time?”
     He looked back to Yunho and said nothing.
     “It’ll be daylight soon and these roads will fill up with cars. Someone will see you.” When he saw, he wasn’t convincing the young man he added, “we can think of some way of getting you back home. I give you my word, you’ll be safe.”
     The man thought this proposal over for a beat then gave him a nod once again. “Fantastic, come” he motioned for him to follow the older man to his car. He was in control of his feet again in seconds. Weird, he thought walking to the car. But the man paused in front of the passenger door. Yunho stared over at him from the driver’s side. The young man stared at the alien object. They don’t use cars idiot, he thought to himself. He hurried over to his side and opened the door for him. He looked at the older man, “I go inside this?” He looked extremely uncomfortable. “Yes, it’ll get us to my home before daylight” Yunho informed him adding, “you’ll be safe.” The young man nodded his head then slowly got inside. Yunho closed the door gently then hurried back to his side and got in. The car got multiple suspicious looks before he calmed down.
     “My name is Yunho by the way, Jung Yunho” he told him with a smile. “What is yours?”
     “Kim Jongin” he said nervously.
     They have normal names just like us, Yunho thought excitedly to himself.
     “It’s very nice to meet you, Kim Jongin.”