Chapter 5

Just A Nobody [A Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Story]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hae Rin's POV

I looked away from Prince Wook when he spotted me sitting in the garden on a rock, next to the pond. I wasn't surprised when he decided to approach me. I knew he was suspicious of me since that night of the incident in the woods. I stared at the water, solemnly as I anticipated Prince Wook's confrontation. 

I heard him sigh as he sat down next to me, "Rin-ah, that night... in the woods, are you sure nothing happened? It's really important if you knew anything. I'm not supposed to let any outsider know about royal business but Rin-ah, someone is trying to assassinate the Crown Prince. And whatever happened in the woods, or whoever was there, could be the culprit who attempted to murder Prince Moo." He spoke to me in a quiet and careful manner.

I felt my heart drop as I slowly turned to face Prince Wook, "Someone tried to k-kill the Crown Prince?" I questioned with wide eyes. He heaved yet another sigh and nodded heavily, I gulped and turned away from him. Prince Yo is trying to kill Prince Moo?! My head snapped back up to face Prince Wook as he placed a hand over my trembling ones.

"That's why I'm asking you, Rin-ah, have you seen anything while you were in the woods?" I swallowed the lump in my throat and shook my head, not making any eye contact with him. "No, I told you nothing happened, and I'm sure of it, your highness," I answered softly, pulling my hand out of his grasp as I yet again, turned away from him. "Even if something did happen, it probably happened before I was there, so please, believe me, iye?" 

I tried my best to answer without shaking to avoid any more suspicions. He seemed defeated by my answer, but nodded anyway, not wanting to push any further. Feeling uneasy, I stood up and bowed to him, "If there is nothing more, then I'll take my leave first." I started to walk away but stopped, "Rin-ah, I'll always be here for you whenever you need someone to talk to, or even just a shoulder to cry on."

My eyes prickled with tears upon hearing what he said, but I blinked it away and turned around to smile curtly at him and made my way back to my room. The moment I locked the door to my room did I burst into tears and fell helplessly onto the floor as I sobbed silently into the sleeve of my hanbok, not wanting anyone to hear me. Prince Wook, I'm sorry I couldn't be of any help to you but I really need to keep my family from being in any danger.

 

A few days later, Soo unnie decided to take me out to town for fresh air as she noticed I have been locking myself up in my room for days. I appreciate her effort of trying to cheer me up but I felt as if my life was already over, and the worst thing is that I'll be suffering all by myself.

I forced a smile as Soo unnie and Chae Ryung pulled me stall after stall to look at a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter