Chapter 4

Just A Nobody [A Scarlet Heart: Ryeo Story]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hae Rin's POV

I smiled to myself as I noticed how fast my bruise was healing thanks to Prince So's ointment. After getting changed into my favourite set of hanbok, I set out to meet with Soo unnie and Chae Ryung. We were going out to town to enjoy the ghost festival as Hae Soo and I weren't invited to the palace to avoid Soo unnie further causing any trouble. 

I beamed as I came across Lady Hae and Prince Wook just on their way out to travel to the palace. I bowed to them politely, "Unnie, Prince Wook, please have a good time at the royal celebration." Lady Hae patted my head affectionately, "Don't worry, we will. We'll see you tonight when we return, alright?" I nodded and bowed to them again before leaving. I managed to make eye contact with Prince Wook shortly before he left as well. I gave him a small smile despite his stoic expression.

I approached the entrance where Hae Soo and Chae Ryung promised to meet, deep in thought, I wonder what's bothering Prince Wook? He doesn't seem quite happy ever since that gathering with the princes and princess. Somehow deep within, I felt like it was my fault that the 8th Prince was upset. 

I let out a small gasp when Soo unnie slapped her hands onto my shoulder from behind, making me jump. "Unnie, don't do that!" I whined as she laughed and slung her arm over my shoulder as Chae Ryung appeared at my other side. I beamed at her as she bowed to me as a greeting, I hooked my arm through hers as we giggled in joy and headed towards the crowded town.

We ate a lot of food and also bought a lot of stuff, we walked around and watched in amazement as the people released white lanterns into the dark sky. We walked further towards a lake where various animal-shaped colourful lanterns were floating on the water. Hae Soo seemed to have seen something in a distance and told us to wait there as she left towards the woods.

Chae Ryung called out to her but she didn't listen and kept going. "Aish, I'll go after her. Wait here, Chae Ryung-ah." Heaving a deep sigh, I ran after my sister, obviously worried about her. I finally saw my sister standing behind a tree, she looked like she was spying on something or someone. Before I could reach her, she ran off somewhere else. I was going to chase after her when I heard a voice speaking from where Soo unnie was spying on.

With cautious steps, I approached the scene and took my sister's previous place behind the tree just in time to witness men being slaughtered. I unconsciously let out a loud gasp, my eyes widened in fear and shock

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter