RED

Eclipse

(Everything is black and white until you meet your soulmate. One catch ㅡ when your significant other dies, things go back to the way it was. Everything was fine, it was a normal day at work ㅡ then suddenly, everything went monochrome. AU)

//

“So many photos…” the little boy across from me ghosted his hand across the picture frames that stood perfectly along my table.

 

“You can take a look at all of them.” I voiced out.

 

“Really?!”

 

I nodded.

//

They used say that the world has many other things to offer. What we see with merely just our eyes does not compare to the vast world beyond. My grandfather used to say that to me often. I never believed anything that came out of his mouth – he was old, and whatever whatnots he had was the mere effect of his old age. 

 

The world was never exciting anyways. Only someone insane would think otherwise. Who would be satisfied over a world that’s just merely black and white? 

 

Though, I’ve never really seen any other colour besides the two, but living for twenty-one years is enough time to get tired of it. Is it too much to ask that I needed something new? That I wanted more of what its currently giving me. 

 

But, having to think this way means that I have to believe the old man. Its not that I didn’t love my grandfather, it’s just that he has more unrealistic things to say, delusions over delusions, and I didn’t need an ounce of it.

 

With it, I was never happy. 

 

Then, something happened. Something nice, actually happened.

 

I met her. 

 

There I was, by the counter of the coffee shop where I worked. I was a Barista, preparing the brewing coffee that an elder lady just ordered, after a few minutes into my morning shift.

 

The bell by the door rang faintly, indicating that someone just entered. The shop being air-conditioned and all, the scent coming from the new comer mingled with the soft smell of coffee and vanilla – invading my senses as I looked up. There and then, I knew – I saw the most beautiful girl that I’ve ever seen. 

 

Suddenly, 

 

The world isn’t black and white anymore. Everything was in colour. Her, wholly, was covered in shades of colour that I have no idea what to make of, but for me, they were really pretty. 

 

Starting then, from the moment she smiled; her voice that’s as smooth as caramel yet sultry like sugar all at the same time as she ordered a cup of cappuccino with her name, Yongsun, written on it – everything was suddenly perfect. 

 

She was perfect. 

 

Things became different then. I actually had the energy to wake up every morning, specially if an angelic face like hers and eyes that was filled with life would greet mine. The smile that was etched on her lips gave me reasons to look at the positive side of things once and for all. 

 

We did things that I once saw as cheesy and sap, but now, it meant more than any thing and ever. We took pictures, and my favourite was her smiling candid photo in her dress with the colour I couldn’t name. It was very vibrant, very alluring. I loved it.

 

But, all good things last.

 

I was all smiles then, drinking a cup of newly brewed coffee while I wait for the shop to open. I actually came in early though it was hard for me to leave my sleeping angel in bed. She had a trip to attend to, and being an all nighter the night before, she needed all the rest she can get before she drives her car for a three hour ride. I’ve always admired her ‘baby’ as she called it. It has almost the same colour as the sun, only darker. 

 

I was recalling memories, listening to the voices coming from the television by the corner, and actually making up names for the colours I was able to see then. Then, the bell by the door rang.

 

What happened next made me pause – confused.

Everything turned monochrome.

 

What I heard and saw next, broke me.

 

My ears picked up the sound of an accident being announced. My eyes bore permanent to the car flashed upon the screen. I knew that colour and plate number anywhere. 

 

I was devastated. 

 

I hurried to the hospital as soon as my phone rang for emergency. My mind was blank, I saw nothing but her face. I heard nothing but her voice. I felt nothing but her ghosting touch. That time, I only had one thought in mind – I need to see her. 

 

When I reached the location, I saw only her. Eyes closed, stained with a colour I was utterly familiar with. I named it my favourite the first time I saw it. But, seeing her in that state then, I thought other wise.

 

For someone who's so full of life ㅡ she didn't live a long one. 

 

My Solar.

//

“Pretty, isn’t she?” I spoke as I saw him lift up a photo I preserved well. 

 

“She is, I can’t really appreciate it though because of the bland color.” He looked sad, and I understood him well.

 

“Do you want to know what I see?”

 

He smiled a cheeky one and nodded like the child he was. “Yes, please. I want to!”

 

I ruffled his hair, taking the photo gently from his hand. I smiled and traced my fingers along her pretty smile. “This was my favourite photo of hers. So pretty, so innocent, like an angel, wearing this pretty dress.”

 

My grandson looked at me expectedly.

 

“She was wearing this dress with its perfect shade of what shouts allure and vibrancy.

 

She was wearing, red.”

 

“How’d you know?” I chuckled low from the innocence of the question.

 

“I just do. Someday, you will too. You’ll know that this world isn’t just black and white.” I assured, placing the photo back to where it belongs.

 

//

 

Why am I filling you with angst lately? She's Eccentric and Her Human already has half of it written, but I can't seem to think of what to write afterwards. I wrote this to have a little break, a Research Defense is going on and it's killing me xD Anyways, have a nice day, luv~