Her Evil King

Everybody Wants Soo

[Requested by blahblah_l!Wang Yeon had ascended to the throne, named as Hwangjong and become “the Evil King” in the eye of palace. Hae Soo becomes his queen in order to save So and other brothers from Hwangjong’s bloody purge. Warning! Bittersweet but many fluffs.]

 

Wang Yeon opened his eyes, blinking his eye-lids escaping from blurriness. When he looked at his side, he could see the bare skin of a woman’s back. It seemed that she was still asleep—no, fainting would be the fitting word for this situation. Slowly, releasing a low groan he sat up, moving his upper body with his one arm. Instead of feeling a soft sensation of the blanket, he felt the slight breeze that touched his spine. It was the beginning of the autumn.

Yeon picked up his reddish purple robe that spread on the floor, and wore it with no hesitation. He looked at the bedside and reached his hand towards to wake her up but stopped and pulled the blanket around her. Her face then grew peaceful when the warmness surrounded her, unaware of her spouse left the chamber.

Wook’s brother still remember the first time he encounter with her. Hae Soo. Her name. And she was full of surprises for her charm had swept most princes off their feet. Especially the fourth prince Wang So… Yeon’s eyes grew darkened didn’t want to think of wretched brother of his, who was able to receive Soo’s smile. Then he brushed off the thoughts as he walked away from the king’s chamber. His room.


In Damiwon, Hae Soo was staring at the window which reflected with the dim sunlight. The sky was light blue, signified there will be no rains, no intensity of sun that would almost cause everyone to drench in their sweats.

It’s been years since the beginning of Hwangjong’s reign. The Hwangbo clan had caused the treason to overthrow Jeongjong, Wang Yo. Finding Wook wouldn’t make a direct confrontation, Yeon caused the coup d’état, publicly killed the third king of Goryeo with his sword slashed his neck, cruelly revealing the beheaded third king’s neck to the eyes of Queen Yoo. Fortunately, Soo persuaded him to spare the surviving princes’ life and he complied with one condition; Hae Soo of Hae Clan will be the queen of Goryeo. She obeyed and here, she was forced to see the Wang brothers’ eyes frowned at the scene of her kept in prison as Yeon’s first and only wife. Whenever Yeon’s hand slithered around her waist and his lips brushed on her temple, it nearly provoked So, Wook, and Jung. 

Speaking of…

Hae Soo heard the footsteps and looked to see five children; two sons and three daughters of her and Yeon running towards her, calling out for their mother. Soo embraced the oldest son Wang Ju who smiled in return.

“How was your lesson?” Soo asked.

“Boring,” he pouted, “but I finished the archery lesson with Uncle Wang Jung. He is a genius with martial arts.”

Soo only nodded her head. In honesty, she has another child who was born between her and Wang So. Wang Seol. The fragile snow kept in household of Shinju. Thankfully, the elders and Lady Kang has been doting the child with love. So stayed at Lady Kang’s residence to raise Seol on his own and was often visited by Jung, Eun, and Baek-Ah. Every year, Soo secretly sent her gifts to her daughter and sometimes sent letters to Shinju to learn about Seol’s life. But no one in this palace but herself knows her existence.

“Oh, Uncle Wook would be so sad,” A-Ran said, “don’t tell father or uncle Wook about this.”

“I heard that.”

The children jumped in surprise to see their father, Hwangjong came out with smile. All of them, including Soo, greeted him. Yeon urged his sons and daughters to run along and have fun. Ju dragged his brother and sisters, leaving his parents alone.

“The brothers will come tonight for your birthday,” Yeon said with reserved manner, “only today, you can talk to them.”

Soo looked up, her eyes slightly wide. He never allowed any of his brothers to talk or look at her, at least until she conceived her firstborn son. Perhaps, Yeon decided to give her more space in palace for he was sure she hadn’t done anything behind his back.


The grand banquet for the queen has begun. Soo sat beside her husband, eyes were downcast as she felt every Wang Brother’s eyes were on her. Eun and Soon-Duk was sitting on there seats, holding their infant child and glancing at Soo and the rest of Wang brothers back and forth. Jung was sitting beside So while Wook sat along with his wife. Baek-Ah was sitting beside the fourth prince, nervous.

Soo, with calm smile, greeted all.

“Welcome back,” she spoke with optimism, “it’s been a long time.”

Other princes’ expression grew saddened when they heard Soo’s lively, yet raspy, strengthless voice. Chae-Ryung, who is now a clot lady could only look at her lady with sympathy and remorse. Woo-Hee and Soon-Duk winced as they could see her pale face with blank eyes, despite her smile, greatly concerned with their friend. In order to lighten up the mood, Baek-Ah was the first person to gave Soo his gift along with Woo-Hee’s. Their gift was flower oils and silk fabrics with different colors.

“All from foreign country called Hungary,” Baek-Ah grinned, “hope you love them, your majesty.”

Soo managed to form a small smile. Eun and Soon-Duk began to join as they also presented their gifts. Eun’s were sketchbooks with paints, and his wife’s were large hand mirror made by white gold. Then to cheer her up, she made a playful joke.

“Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?”

“Our queen is the fairest.” Eun feigned the magic mirror’s voice.

Soo giggled as she let out a radiant smile. Seeing her laughing, Yeon made a thin line with his lips, try not to show his smile and at the same time felt jealous that his brothers managed to make her laugh. Jung gave Soo several rolls of hanboks with simple yet refined tastes. Wook and So managed to gave her rare herbs she always wanted.

“Thank you so much.” Soo spoke as she accepted them, unaware of glare Yeon made towards his brothers.

So and Wook gave her a rather fond expression Yeon could recognize. Making up a idea, he smiled mischievously and s his one arm around her, alarming his brothers. His clenched hand loosened as he revealed a jewel that was similar as brooch. Plain, but beautiful as it was made by rose crystal formed in a shape of water lily. Surprised with his gift, Soo gently accepted it.

“You told me you love lilies also. I’ve asked royal artisan to made it so you can use it any day.” Yeon confessed.

Blinking her eyes, she grinned at him. Her left hand held his right hand, surprising him. She made a lively, overjoyed smile.

“Thank you.”

Yeon was taken back, but he felt a butterflies in his chest for he always wanted to receive this smile for many years. Perhaps, it won’t be bad to spoil her a little.

“You seemed to know her taste, sire.” Baek-Ah grinned, relieved the tension was broken.

“Of course I do,” Yeon formed a huff, “I’m married to her.”

He said it as if he was greatly emphasizing his brothers who does Soo belongs to. She looked outside pavilion to see her children running around with Eun and Soon-Duk’s older children. What caught her the most was her and So’s daughter Seol spending her time with Ju, playing with flowers and make them as crowns. Soo looked at Yeon, who made a knowing smile. He knew. He was aware that Seol was Soo and So’s illegitimate daughter. However, Yeon didn’t want to become a human whose petty jealousy gets the best and ruin Soo’s life. As much as it pained him to see the result of So and Soo’s love, his heart melt when he saw their daughter. For she strikingly resembles the woman he harboured his affection to. Soo changed him as much as she changed everyone.

“What is her name?” Yeon spoke only to his wife.

“…Seol…is her name.” Soo replied meekly.

Staring at the girl who was laughing along with Ju, he smiled.

“She’s just like you.”

Soo looked at him with wide eyes again. For the first time in her life, she have seen a rare mercy from the evil king.

“You can let her visit palace sometimes.”

Yeon walked away, leaving Soo speechless. 

When she felt someone tugging her skirt, she looked down and saw Seol, Ju, A-Ran, Hyo-Hwa, Bo-Hwa and Moon-Duk giving their mother flower crowns with wide, toothy smile. Within seconds, she hugged all of them in her arms

 

 

Note:
Done! I just want to put fluffs in this pair. So and Soo still love each other secretly, but Soo was having second thought of giving silent treatment to her “husband” Yeon, since he doesn’t find Seol as a threat, but as a striking remembrance of her mother. Now Hae Soo has six children in total...in ya face, Queen Yoo!