ix.

the c'est la vie club

[ olympia: DECEMBER 28TH 2AM ]

 

Wheein forces her three friends up the hill into the darkness. There is a time when the world becomes corrupt and miserable, when the monsters come to life and swallow anything it sees. It’s around this time when she takes hold of Wonwoo’s hand, tells him that they all need to get up, and disappear for one last adventure. In the silence of the night, the other two wake up. Kibum hisses that he needs his slumber like someone of a fairy tale and Taeyeon is light as a feather as Wheein leads them into the outside world. There are no more whispers. Her fingers are still clasped with Wonwoo’s. Kibum continues to steal glances at Taeyeon. The sidewalk changes from concrete to grass. Sometimes, Kibum loses a grip on reality and needs to be reminded once again why he’s awake.

 

“Oh c’mon, where’s your sense of adventure?” Wheein questions and there’s still a little spark in her eyes that catches Kibum off-guard. Because he forgets that Wheein is still alive at two in the morning when the world is still trying to fight off their nightmares. They all forget that everyone is just trying to avoid as much pain as possible.

 

“This is going to be okay, right?” Wonwoo quietly asks. She squeezes his hand tightly. He realizes that there might be something more to this than he thinks. It’s not a brainless walk up to somewhere fun. It’s not some kind of impulsive decision that she has. Instead, it’s another secret she wants to share with the three of them. When the grass turns into sidewalk again, she shines a little light from her phone. Taeyeon latches herself onto Kibum’s arm, who is still somewhat annoyed that he has to be waken up at this hour. She's afraid of what's going to be ahead of them.

 

But it’s slow and cautious, and when the flashlight illuminates the path in front of them, there’s a saccharine type of amazement. It’s just a bench in the middle of the park. Wheein pulls Wonwoo with her to the bench and doesn’t say a word. There’s nothing to be said. It's almost useless.

 

“Okay, why are we here?” Kibum questions. It’s when Taeyeon points up to the sky that he realizes why they’re all there tonight.

 

There are stars in the cloudless sky tonight. While everyone sleeps, they see the beauty in the night sky. This is what they try to avoid with every passing moment of their lives, pain and demons. But they sit on a wooden bench in the middle of a park that has yet to know what they know. Kibum shuts his mouth once more and sits next to Wheein. Taeyeon sits next to Wonwoo. And for a while, they stare at the sky. The stars try to guide their ways to the future. Wheein looks at them all, how they’re all in amazement of this night where everyone’s demons come out of their skin and torment them. But there is none of that, instead, they are in awe by the night sky.

 

Wheein shares her favorite secret to three other people who have shown their strength, beauty, and love towards her. Her eyes look up to the sky once more. She looks up to her parents who watch in the sky and smiles. This is her new family. They would be proud of her if they saw her now. Three new members to her family. It’s a strange thing to realize. The memories of their trip starts to unravel.

 

Kim Taeyeon faces her own reflection in the form of Kwon Jiyong. Her sense of self is stronger than it has ever been before and being a protector of these three other people becomes a part of her. She shares her heart, a part of her soul with them.

 

Jeon Wonwoo surrenders his anxieties for a present he can change. The labels he becomes accustomed to start to become invisible, and he stares into night, hoping that he has the courage to face any kind of struggle there might be.

 

Kim Kibum asks for love and then gives that chance up. He learns that love isn’t as simple as looking at someone in the eye and thinking they’re beautiful. He learns that it requires more than that. He opens his heart for only the few who truly deserve it, and cat-like eyes continue to understand it.

 

Jung Wheein believes in loneliness and never finding anyone to share her life with. She finds three other people and the performance she is so used to starts to disintegrate. Three souls decide to prove her wrong and give her a love that she would never thought was possible.

 

The memories of long drives play. The freeways, the radio that plays the same songs, the moments when they all discover parts of them with the others, it all begins to flash. The early breakfasts is a memory. The time they spend on the beach is something to smile about. The late night and early morning singing plagues their minds. And before they can understand it all, snow starts to fall. It's not supposed to snow, but it starts to snow. The world doesn’t make sense, but when they all look at the night sky, they know it never is supposed to make any sense. This journey is not meant for one person but a collection of them all. Their strings are intertwined in some way now. It doesn’t make sense, but it’s life.

C’est la vie. Such is life.