Chapter 5

Missing

Chapter 5

It was a Saturday I was busy with my Advanced Calculus assignment that needs to be passed on Tuesday—nothing better than calculus for a university student, right?—when my phone beeped. I took it out of my pocket and called up the messaging icon.

It was from my mother. A smile gravitated to my lips as I pictured her cooking her delicious ramyun. My mouth watered at the thought of being able to eat it.

Expecting good news, I read the message and felt my heart drop to my stomach when it was otherwise.

“Kyuhyun, you need to come home for a while. Our ramen shop is in trouble.”

Come home? As in right now?

With hell week on its way?

 With final projects drilling me?

How am I supposed to go home? Add my baby sitting job in the mix and I’m considered roasted alive.

I sighed knowing that my family needs me right now so I decided to pack my stuff and go to Siwon and tell him what was up. I need to be perfectly honest because what good will it do for me to lie about something important, right?

Besides, the small ramen shop that my parents have been passionate about is in trouble and I can’t just sit this one out, right?

Maybe he’ll let me be with my family even for just a few days.

Gathering the courage that I had, I took a deep breath and walked out of my designated room with my bags in tow, hoping that my boss would take kindly of my situation.

Padding towards his office, I knew that I was about to enter probably the end of my career as Attorney Choi Siwon’s nanny. Figures, he’d given me a rent free room, and I can eat whatever I want in his fridge all for just being the baby sitter of his young son. Part of me wondered if he would that I’m being user-friendly after what I’m about to do.

Taking in the enough breath, I reached the door and was about to knock when it suddenly creaked open.

Choi Siwon had dark circles around his eyes, his skin was a little blotchy and he hadn’t shaved. Maybe he is busy….

“Sir, I have something to ask of you. Can we talk for a few minutes.”

He nodded slowly and motioned for me to enter his office. “I thought I told you to just call me hyung and not sir?”

Right.

That part of agreement still hasn’t sunk in me yet. Nodding my head. I flashed him a smile. “Hyung…I need…well…I…”

Siwon scratched the corner of his mouth. “Don’t be nervous, I don’t bite.”

The way he joked made me feel even more nervous.

Why does he treat me so nicely?

Not that I’m complaining but it just seems too good to be true that he reacts like this every time.

“Well sir…I mean, hyung, my mother sent me a message telling me that I should go home because something important came up.” I said that in a matter of ten seconds.

I saw nervous sue me,

If Siwon was surprised, he hid it pretty well because his facial expression was the same as when we went to the amusement park. Is making fun of me because I tend to ramble whenever I’m around him?

“In order for me to allow you, I need to know what the reason is.” Siwon said matter of factly. “The answer you gave me a while ago is pretty vague. I need a little more information.”

Is his lawyer senese tingling like spiderman’s?

Wow. How petty!

Although I want to disclose my reason because it’s more than embarrassing, it was mortifying, I told myself that I should be honest because I’ve always believed that Honesty is the best policy…no matter how cheesy that line really sounds.

“Because my family’s little ramen shop is in trouble and my parents would like for me to go home.” I wanted to add that I didn’t how long I’ll be away but I’m pretty sure it’ll take more than a few days to fix this problem.

Siwon nodded.

“Okay. I will give you a week for it then.”

I was surprised by this because if we will follow office rules, I’d be out of a job in no time. Flashing him a grateful smile, I bowed at him respectfully. “Thank you so much, sir…I mean, hyung…”

“No need to thank me.” He paused as I looked up at him, he had this really worried expression. “But, you do know that my son will look for you, right?”

I know that.

How am I supposed to explain to the little fella that I need to be away for a while.

Siwon sighed. “Sorry for putting pressure on you. You didn’t have to hear me say that. I’ll just take have to rest for a week to take care of my son, I mean, I don’t really have any cases to hold yet because it’s not the peak season for it yet…”

I nodded. “If you don’t have anything to say anymore, you may leave now while Shi Hoo is sleeping because it’ll be harder to leave him behind if you leave tomorrow. He’ll just cling on to you.”

“Yes sir. I understand.” I bowed once more and took my duffel bag from the couch.

As I closed the door, I sighed heavily. Looking at the right side of the apartment, I saw Shi Hoo’s room. I decided to say good bye for the time being because I don’t want to leave just yet without seeing him.

Slowly, I walked towards his room and went inside quietly. I looked at him as he slept on his bed. The stuffed elephant that his father won for him the other day was tucked in next to him. I felt myself tearing up a little because in the short span of time that I’ve gotten to know the little guy, he grew on to me and leaving him temporarily is something that was very hard to do.

“Sleep tight Shi Hoo. We’ll each other soon.” I caressed the little boy’s cheek and turned away before I wake him up.

 

BUSAN          11: 15PM

“What?” I couldn’t help it. It deserves a very loud voice.

“Son, please, you have to do this.” My mother patted my shoulder but I shot away from her.

“Mom, I’m done with all of these! I want to live my life as well! I don’t want to take the time off of school so please don’t ask me to take time off of school and stay here because I have dreams to fulfill!”

My mother was taken aback by what I said and as soon as I saw the expression on her face, I wanted to apologize but I held my ground because I just don’t want to put my dreams on hold.

“I understand son, but that ₩ 1,000,000 debt we have is heavy and your tuition fee costs about that much and…”

“Dad, you’re asking me for too much. I only have ₩ 500,000 in my savings account and I intend to pay half of it for the down payment of my tuition fee for the next semester. I can’t just toss it away.”

My father nodded. “I understand.”

“How can you be so self centered?”

I whipped around and saw my younger brother, Hyun Woo. I balled my hands into fists. “I’m self centered? Why don’t you try to get a job then huh? Instead of riding you motor bike around town and causing trouble? That way mom and dad wouldn’t worry about money. Do you think that I don’t know that you take half of the amount of money I send to mom and dad every month just so you can party with your friends?”

“Why are you getting on my case?” Hyun Woo roared.

I glared at him. “Because you are being an ignorant fool who can’t even help out our parents! If you studied for you college entrance exams, you’d be a freshman already but no, because you’re too much on a lazy to even lift a finger around here!”

Hyun Woo as about to punch me when my father shouted.

“How dare you two fight in front of you parents! Is that how you mother and I brought you two up?” I looked down and so did Hyun Woo.

“Apologize to your older brother, Hyun Woo.”

Hyun Woo had this angry look on his face and my father slapped the back of his head. “Sorry, Hyung.”

I nodded. “I’m sorry too.”

“Excuse me but is this a bad time?”

I immediately froze.

What the heck?

I turned towards our shops entrance way and saw my boss, Choi Siwon and his son, Shi Hoo in his arms, sleeping with a big suitcase next to them. My mouth dropped to the floor as I looked at him in shock.

 

End of Chapter