Chapter I

Missing

Chapter 1

I lugged my two suitcases as I padded inside the twenty something storey building. I was greeted by strange looks from rich looking people but I don’t care. I just need to get this job. I smiled to myself as I looked at the crumpled piece of paper in my hand when my pessimistic side kicked in.

What if this person hired someone else already? How will I make ends meet now?

I pressed the button on the elevator and patiently waited for it to stop at the twenty-third floor. I fidgeted due to nervousness. It had always been a habit of mine to do it. Once the elevator opened its doors, I stepped out, trying to channel my most professional looking stance. I can’t mess this up.

Walking towards room 2300, I stilled myself to take in yoga fire breaths.

Once I was calm enough, I pressed the doorbell and waited for the door to open. I was already thinking of how my speech would fare with the employer, much more and attorney when the door creaked open. I found myself getting tongue tied. It’s not a woman but a man.

“Can I help you?” He asked as he raised an eyebrow at my disheveled appearance.

“Uh, good day, I’m here to apply as a baby sitter.” I spoke in a trembling voice as the man stared at me as if I was a lunatic.

So much for getting hired.

He scratched the back of his head and nodded. “Uh, didn’t you read the description?” He pointed at the flyer in my hand. I unfolded it and began to read.

I scanned everything and my vision was halted at one particular qualification. “Preferably a woman with experience in child care and household work.” I literally wanted to slap myself.

How did I not see that?

“I don’t think you’re a woman with child care experience.” The man said with an amused expression on his face. I swallowed my pride and knelt down, much to the man’s surprise.

“Sir, I really need this job, I have to somehow pay for my tuition fee.” I felt my self esteem flat lining already and since I was being shameless already, I figured that this is not a bad idea because I don’t want to live on the street; I really need money, fast.

“What on earth are you doing?”

“Please, give me one chance, I’m great with kids, and I’m studying education, please, just give me one chance.”

The man grabbed me by the shoulders and made me stand up. My eye widened at what he did. “Alright, alright, fine, I’ll give you a shot, just don’t kneel down, you’re making me look like a bad guy.”

A small smile of relief formed on my lips. “Thank you.” I muttered a little inaudibly as he stepped aside to let me inside his apartment.

“We can talk in my office, my son is still asleep in his room.” He motioned for me to follow him without even looking at my slack jawed expression as I gazed in amazement at his humongous apartment. It was much bigger than my parent’s house in Busan where they live on the second floor of their ramyun shop.

In all honesty, I could’ve called my parents and tell them about my dire situation but I didn’t want them to think that their twenty two year old son can’t even fend for himself in the big, bad city.  I was thinking this when I heard a scoff from the other side of the big apartment.

“Aren’t you coming in?” The man looked at me as if I was a crazy mutt.

“Ye—s…” I stammered as I fumbled towards the next room.

 

“So, tell me about yourself.”

just got real. I guess this guy is really a hotshot if he’ll ask me questions like this.

“Well, sir, uh, I’m Cho Kyuhyun, I’m a sophomoreat Seoul University and I’m taking up Pre-School Education, I’m originally from Busan, I entered the army after high school and I’m a very capable young man.” I felt myself fumbling the words a little because the man asking questions seemed too strict about articulation and grammar.

“Why do I need to hire you?” He asked.

“Do you need me to tell you the truth or to sugar coat my answer?” Crap! Did I just say that? If there’s one thing I learned from my seniors, never, ever sass your future employer.

He seemed to be a bit taken aback by my answer and I nervously looked around and saw his diploma from Harvard Law School. I read his name.

Siwon Choi.

“Okay, um, tell me the truth then.” He looked at me straight in the eyes and I found myself getting comfortable.

“Well, I’m currently homeless because I didn’t get to pay rent, I have to make ends meet and I badly need this job.” I ran through that sentence like a hawk for fear that me may deem as a loser.

Siwon started at me and blinked once.

He probably never came across someone who seemed as desperate as I am and I couldn’t blame him for that.

But somehow, he threw a curveball at me.

“When can you start?”

It was my turn to blink now. “Excuse me?” I found myself choking on my words a little. Attorney Choi chuckled at me and then made a serious face.

“When can you start?” He repeated.

“I—I am hired?”

He nodded and I whooped loudly which echoed throughout the apartment and a few seconds later, a child was crying.

Siwon shook his head. “Great, you woke my son up.”

I gulped, so much for making a great first impression. “Will your wife be angry if she found out I woke your son up?”

Siwon’s expression changed immediately. It was wounded, like that of an injured puppy. “Sir are you okay?”

“I—I don’t have a wife anymore.”

I looked at him and bit my bottom lip. "I'm sorry sir, I didn't realize that you're wife is deceased." I really was truly sorry.

"My wife did not die. She disappeared."

End of Chapter