Chapter 3

Missing

Chapter 3

I looked at my laptop one more time as I finally closed its lid. I checked the time on my phone and it was already past four in the morning.

Was I really up for that long?

Man.

Why am I such a pushover when it comes to group projects?

A loud yawn escaped mu lips and I felt myself slowly but surely succumbing to my tiredness and fell asleep right then. When I woke up, it was way past seven thirty.

.

My class is at eight! I guess I forgot to set my alarm! Damn it! If I won’t be able to submit this on time, I might as well kiss my ambitions to graduate with honors considering that my professor is very strict regarding deadlines and if I was a second late, I’d get not only a deduction but a failing mark.

I immediately went into my room  and changed not bothering to even take a bath. As I was changing, I remembered that I still have to print out my papers. I immediately went out and saw Siwon and Shi Hoo in the living room. I bowed and my boss greeted my with a smile as Shi Hoo walked towards me and grabbed my hand with his little ones.

I looked at my boss apologetically. “Sir, I’m running a little late. I really need to pass this project and if I don’t hand it in time, I’ll get a failing mark.”

I thought that he would say that he doesn’t care but his answer surprised me. “I’ll go get my car keys and drive you to your school, we can bring Shi Hoo as well since you still need to baby sit him. So you have any classes for today?”

I shook my head, feeling relieved. “No Sir. I just need to submit my report and I done.”

“Okay then.”

“Uh sir.” I didn’t really want to over exert and over use the favor I have but I was desperate. “Would you mind it if I used you printer?”

He smiled at me. “Go ahead use it. I barely make use of it anyway so print out to your hearts content.”

I sighed in relief as he entered the room thinking of how lucky he is.

 

Inside Siwon’s car, I sat on the back with Shi Hoo who was playing with his favorite stuffed animal. “Sir, thanks for doing this for me. If you hadn’t offered me a ride, I never would’ve submitted my papers on time. Thank you.”

Siwon smiled at me as he drove. “It really doesn’t matter. I’m glad I was able to help you.”

Suddenly my stomach growled. I forgot I hadn’t eaten since dinner last night and it was way past nine in the morning.

“Are you hungry?” Siwon asked, trying to stifle his laughter.

I went beet red. “Uh, no, sir, I—I wasn’t.” My stomach let out another loud growl. This time Siwon let out a laugh.

“Let’s get something to eat. We don’t want the monster in your stomach growling.”

I felt so embarrassed I could’ve sworn my cheeks felt so hot. “Uh…o—kay sir.”

Siwon sighed as he rounded the corner making a beeline to the nearest McDonald’s. A small smile crept onto Siwon’s face. “I hope you don’t mind but this is my favorite place whenever I get a pang of hunger.”

I smiled a little. I’ve always loved McDonald’s, especially when there’s a happy meal involved. I turned to Shi Hoo who was looking at me with a smile on his little soft face. “Did you hear that? We’re going to McDonald’s.”

A mewing little sound came from Shi Hoo and I pinched his cheek gently and I chuckled at his cute reaction.

Once we were in, Siwon was the one who ordered. He bought back Chicken Nuggets, a box of large fries and a happy meal for Shi Hoo. “I hope you don’t mind but McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets are my favorite.”

I beamed at him. It’s my favorite too. How coincidental. “Wow, I love these too, sir.”

Siwon looked at me seriously. “You don’t have to call me sir. It kind of feels like you’re my student…” He paused, collecting his thoughts, I guess. “You can just call me, hyung.”

Hyung?

He wants me to call him hyung?

How can I do that? I mean, it’s not like we’re close enough to have that kind of brotherhood? I mean, what if someone close him heard me say it? How would it look like.

“Okay?” Siwon looked at me expectingly.

“Uh…okay…sir…I—I mean, h—hyung.”

He grinned at me broadly and began to eat his nuggets as I nervously began to eat mine as well. Shi Hoo who was sitting next to his dad took one nugget from his plate and began to eat it with his hands.

Why does this scene make me feel happy and at ease?

 

Once we were inside the car, Siwon spoke up. “Hey, this may seem a little bit weird but do you mind if we head over to the amusement park? I haven’t had the chance to bring my son there. Since, I decided to take a day off from work, maybe we can go there?”

I couldn’t even remember the last time I was able to go to an amusement park so I guess you can guess what my answer is.

 

“Here you go.”

I looked at the teddy bear that my boss—Attorney Choi Siwon was giving me. It was about the size of a five year old. “Sir, I…”

He grabbed my hands and made me hold the ample teddy bear. I couldn’t quite fathom it but when his hands held mine, I felt something stir inside me and I immediately felt my cheeks go hot. It was a good thing though that he wasn’t really paying attention to me because he was busy carrying Shi Hoo in his arms as the toddler played with the stuffed elephant his dad won for him earlier.

We rode the carousel after that since Shi Hoo seemed very keen on riding it because he looked at the ponies as they went round and round. After that, the three of us went on the ferriswheel that over looked the city. Although I  immediately went pale when we started to rise—I have fear of heights—he didn’t notice it because there was a huge smile plastered on his face and while his son had the sense of seeing something new for the first time.

I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to be a party pooper and spoil the fun that my boss and his son are having after a very long time.

As the night went by, the stars shined brightly—a first that I experienced considering how cloudy it had always been at night ever since I moved here from Busan—Shi Hoo began to fall asleep and as soon as he headed back to the car, there was slight smile on Siwon’s face as if he had seen the beauty of the world in just one measly day.

The car ride back to his apartment was quiet but not awkward at all. I stayed beside his sleeping son and when we arrived at his place. I carried the little boy in his room and he made sure to kiss his son’s forehead before leaving the room. A small smile escaped my lips because he reminded me of my father.
 

He sat on the couch and motioned for me to sit across from him. “Thanks again for agreeing to go to the amusement park.”

“Don’t mention it…hyung…”  I still felt weird calling him that. Why did he have to tell me to call him that?

As he stayed silent for a long time, I decided to retire to my bedroom with my big stuffed animal. As I closed the door, I hugged it tightly and felt the butterflies in my stomach flutter wildly.

What’s happening to me?

End of Chapter