Chapter 07

Not According to Plan

Alia woke up feeling disorientated. Her room was in complete darkness, even though it had been the middle of the afternoon when she had fallen asleep. She rolled over with a groan, checking the time on her alarm clock. “I can’t believe it’s almost three am.” She muttered as she pushed herself into a sitting position, stretching as she did so. She rubbed her eyes as she swung her legs out of bed, yawning loudly. She shivered slightly as the thick carpet in her bedroom gave way to the cold wood flooring in the hallway.

 

She frowned at the flickering light coming from her living room. She tiptoed her way down the hallway, poking her head around the corner. She could just make out the top of Yoongi’s head, his soft snores filling the room. She smiled warmly as she made her way over to him. She picked up the remote from the coffee table and shut off the TV, making the room dark, the only light now coming from outside. Yoongi was half lying on the couch, his head tilted to the side as he slept.

 

She crouched down in front of him, enjoying the rare opportunity to take in his features. Her eyes ran over his handsome face, the pale moonlight making his skin almost glow. She resisted the urge to reach out and touch his face, too afraid that she would wake him up. She stayed there until her legs began to protest from crouching for so long. She stood up, her legs shaky and went to the kitchen for a drink, the reason she had woken up in the first place. She quickly finished the glass of water then headed into the second bedroom which Yoongi had claimed as his own, grabbing his blanket and bringing it out to the living room.

 

She carefully covered him with the blanket, a small smile on her face as she did so. Even though she had initially wanted him to leave, a small part of her was happy that he was still there. She knew that their romantic relationship was fake, but they had become friends, and he obviously cared about her. The thought make her irrationally happy. As she stood up to leave, Yoongi gently grabbed her wrist. “Alia?” he said, his voice rough with sleep. She crouched back down next to him. “Hey, sorry I didn’t mean to wake you.” She said quietly. He pushed himself into a sitting position, not letting go of her wrist. “It’s fine. Are you alright? Do you need anything? How are you feeling?” he asked, worry filling him at seeing her out of bed when it was obviously the middle of the night.

 

“I’m fine. I just got up for a drink and I saw you lying here.” She explained. Yoongi looked down at the blanket that had fallen down to his waist. He frowned. “I’m meant to be the one looking after you.” He said with a pout. She chuckled at him. “I’m fine. I feel a lot better.” she said, giving him a smile. “You should head into your room to sleep, it won't be comfortable out here.”

 

He shook his head, “Your couch is remarkably comfortable.” He said as he lay back down, his eyes already closed as he pulled her down with him. “Yoongi! What are you doing?!” she asked in a panic as he pulled her against him and awkwardly covered them with the blanket. “Going back to sleep.” He said as he finished adjusting the blanket over them. “Then go to your room.” She said as she tried to sit up, but he pulled her back down, wrapping his arms around her to keep her in place. “Stop fidgeting.” He mumbled, already half asleep. “Just sleep here, that way if you wake up again I’ll know and I can get you whatever you need.”

 

“But…”

 

“No buts. Sleep.” He commanded. She lay beside him, her whole body tense while Yoongi seemed completely at ease. Almost ten minutes passed before Yoongi spoke again. “You need to relax if you're planning on sleeping.” He commented. Alia dipped her head, thankful that he could only see the top of her head. He sighed, “Should I sing for you?” he suggested suddenly. She knew that he wasn’t completely confident in his voice, he probably wasn’t aware that she had heard him singing in the kitchen earlier, but she had told him before that his rough voice when he was singing was actually really nice, even if it was far from perfect.

 

She nodded against his chest as he took a deep breath and started singing. It was some popular love song from one of the many idol groups that were always on TV, and he knew how much she liked the song. He could feel her relax as he sang, he didn’t know why she liked his voice so much, he knew that it was nothing special, but for some reason, she seemed to genuinely enjoy listening to him. By the time he finished the song, she was already asleep. He peered down at her, a smile on his face. He tightened his grip around her, letting out a content sigh. For some reason, having her in his arms just felt right.

 

He gently rubbed her side as he lay awake, a million thoughts running through his head. She looked so peaceful wrapped in his arms. He tightened his grip around her, enjoying the rare opportunity to have her in his arms. Even though they pretended to be a couple in public, he never wanted to push things too far in case he made her feel uncomfortable. They kept their couple actions simple: Holding hands, wrapping his arm around her shoulders or waist, and on the times when he had been feeling particularly bold, kissing her hand. But somewhere along the line, those actions were now no longer enough. He wanted more. He wanted to lie like this with her every night. He wanted to hug her whenever he wanted, and not only when there were other people there to see. He wanted to kiss her, and not on her hand.

 

He let out a frustrated sigh as he tried to rein in his thoughts. “Control yourself Yoongi. She doesn’t think about you that way.” he whispered to himself, before closing his eyes and letting sleep claim him once again.

 

 

The next morning, Yoongi was the first to wake up. He smiled down at Alia, whose limbs were tangled up with his. I could get used to waking up like this. He thought to himself as she began to stir. “Morning.” He said, his voice a little raspy from not being used. “Morning.” She mumbled back, still not fully aware of their position. She rubbed her eyes before blinking up at him, suddenly remembering what had happened the night before. “How are you feeling?” Yoongi asked is if waking up with her on top of him was a normal daily occurrence. “Uuuhhh, better, thanks.” She said as she pushed herself up, supressing the urge to throw herself onto the floor.

 

She carefully untangled herself from Yoongi and from the blanket, Yoongi more than happy to watch her instead of helping her, her face tinted with pink in embarrassment. “I better shower. I need to get into work early to catch up on things from yesterday.” She said as she stood up. “Are you sure you're feeling up to going into work today? Shouldn’t you just rest today?” he said as he finally sat up, ruffling his already messy hair. She shook her head, purposely not looking at him. “I already missed a lot of stuff yesterday, and I do feel better. There's no point taking a day off for no reason.”

 

Yoongi nodded in understanding. “Ok, but don’t push yourself. Just take it easy, and if you start feeling sick again, just come back home, ok? You can call me and I can go pick you up, I don’t have much scheduled for today.” He said, giving her a small smile which made her heart skip a beat. She nodded stiffly before rushing into the bathroom. Yoongi frowned at her quick departure. Usually she would have made fun of him for acting so overprotective, but she basically just ran away from him. It made him feel frustrated and disappointed.

 

After her shower, she disappeared into her room to get ready while he jumped into the shower. When she finally emerged from her room, Yoongi was on the phone with someone, he turned to her and put his hand over his phone. “Hey, I forgot that we had arranged to have dinner with my parents tonight, do you want me to cancel?” he asked, still worried about her overdoing it when she was ill. She shook her head. “It’s ok, we can go.” She whispered. He nodded before uncovering his phone and continuing his conversation.

 

She picked up the things she needed for the day before Yoongi appeared by her side. “I’ll take you to work. That way I can pick you up and take you to dinner, ok?” he offered as he grabbed his car keys. She nodded, “Ok, sure.” He led her to his car, making sure to hold the door open for her. They drove in silence for a while before Yoongi’s phone beeped with a message. “Can you check that for me?” he asked. Alia nodded and picked up his phone, opening the message. Her mood instantly darkened as she read it. “It’s from JaKyung, she says not to forget to meet her at one o’clock for lunch.” She frowned as she read the message, her chest suddenly feeling tight.

 

“Ah, . I completely forgot about that. Can you text her back and tell her I’ll be there?” he asked, his eyes on the road, completely unaware of Alia’s sudden shift in mood. “Sure.” She mumbled as she quickly typed back a response before putting Yoongi’s phone back in its place. Yoongi pulled up outside her building and she quickly unclipped her seatbelt. “Let me know when you think you’ll be able to get away and I’ll be here to pick you up, ok?” he said. She gave him a quick nod, not able to meet his gaze. “Sure. See you later.” She said as she quickly got out of the car, almost forgetting to close the car door in her hurry to get into the building.

 

She felt the all too familiar burn of tears behind her eyes as she rushed into the elevator. Her chest felt like it was caught in a vice. She stabbed at the button to take her to her floor as she forced air into her lungs. “Ok, it’s not a big deal. It’s not like you didn’t know this was gonna happen. Just take it easy.” She said, her eyes looking upwards as she mentally willed her tears not to fall. By the time the elevator reached her floor, she had composed herself enough to face her secretary, apologising to her for her sudden absence the day before.

 

She almost smiled at the huge amount of paperwork waiting for her on her desk. Any other day the sight would have made her sigh, but today, she was thankful for the distraction. The endless paperwork was a great distraction so that she wouldn’t have to think about Yoongi and whether or not his date with JaKyung was going well.