Chapter 13

Not According to Plan

Three more days had passed and Yoongi was still unable to get a hold of Alia. Every time he called her, she rejected his calls. He had tried going to her apartment again, checking to make sure her car was there, but she wouldn’t answer the door for him. He had an appointment to go to the hotel the next day to review the footage from their security cameras. They didn’t allow the footage to leave the building, so he had to go there.

 

He woke up early the next morning and headed to the hotel, thanking the security team for allowing him to look over the footage. They led him to a small room that was lined with hard drives and countless screens. They had loaded up the footage from the day of the party for him. After quickly guiding him through how to use the machines, they left him in peace to look at the footage. He had a rough idea of what time to look for, but finding the right camera was proving to be difficult. All of the cameras were named by numbers, meaning that finding the correct one was not an easy job.

 

After three hours of searching, he finally found the right camera footage. He watched as Alia rushed into the bathroom, JaKyung almost right behind her. He turned the volume up as high as he could. There were no cameras in the bathroom, but if he strained himself, he could just make out what they were saying. He heard JaKyung say his name then the words ‘break up’. He rewound the footage, leaning closer to the speakers to hear the muffled voices. He was thankful that the bathroom door was slightly open and that the hallway was empty, if there had been any noise from the hallway, JaKyung and Alia's conversation would have been completely inaudible.

 

“I told you to break up with him.”

“I did break up with him.”

 

Yoongi’s eyebrows shot up, why had JaKyung told Alia to break up with him?

 

“Then why were you talking with him?”

“No one ever said that I couldn’t talk to him.”

“I told you that after you broke up with him, Yoongi is mine.”

 

“What the ?” he muttered as he once again rewound the footage to make sure he had heard everything correctly.

 

“I told you that after you broke up with him, Yoongi is mine.”

“You can’t own him JaKyung. He's a human being. Besides, from what I hear, it’s not like you’ve made any progress with him.”

“Shut up! What do you know? At least when I'm with Yoongi it will be for real!”

 

Yoongi’s eyebrows furrowed. He had never heard JaKyung speak like this before. If anyone had told him that these words were from her, he never would have believed them… a sudden thought hit him. Someone had told him. Alia… she had tried to tell him but he hadn’t listened.

 

“Real? Then what face are you going to show him? The nice but airheaded girl I thought was my friend? Or this face? The one that’s a complete ? The one that spilled my secret that I trusted her with? The one that threatened me to do what you said? Which one is the real you?”

 

Yoongi could hear the hurt in Alia's voice. From what he could tell, JaKyung had told someone something that she wasn’t supposed to, and he could make a pretty well educated guess on what secret she had spilled. There was also the fact that Alia had said that JaKyung had threatened her. Was JaKyung the reason that Alia had broken up with him? Had the story about her mother starting to ask her about marriage been made up? A cover because she hadn’t wanted to expose JaKyung and her threat knowing that no one would believe her? The sound of a slap echoed in his ear and Alia’s shocked voice at being hit rang in his ears.

 

He heard the sounds of a scuffle then he saw himself appear at the doorway. He couldn’t believe how wrong he had been about the whole situation. He saw himself picking JaKyung up and the smirk that she threw over his shoulder towards Alia. “I’m a ing idiot.” He mumbled as he ran his hand down his face as he watched the scene over again. “I ed up big time.” he mumbled. The security team had told him that he wasn’t allowed to make any copies of the footage and if he so much as plugged a USB into one of the machines it would set off an alarm and the team would be on him before he could say his own name, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t make a recording of the footage.

 

He casually looked around, making sure that no one was lurking at the doorway before pulling his phone out of his pocket. He put the footage back to when Alia appeared and hit record. The quality wasn’t great and the audio was faint, but it was enough that it could be heard. He slipped his phone back into his pocket and left the room, taking the time to thank the staff once again for their help. He rushed over to Alia’s office, determined to see her and apologise for what had happened and to ask her for the real reason she had broken up with him.

 

He rushed up to her secretary, not bothering with niceties. “Tell me Alia is here.” He begged. The secretary shook her head. “She hasn’t been here all week. She's been out visiting all the other offices this week.” she said, her tone apologetic. Yoongi cursed under his breath. He figured that the reason that she wasn’t spending anytime in her office was because she knew that he would probably turn up here when he couldn’t get in contact with her. “Could you call her? Don’t tell her I'm here though. Please?” he pleaded. The secretary bit her lip, Alia hadn’t specifically told her not to do this. She let out a sigh, “I’m probably gonna end up in a lot of trouble.” She said as he picked up the phone in front of her. “You won't. I promise.” He said as she dialled Alia's number.

 

She put the phone on speaker as it rang, Yoongi giving her a thumbs up. “Hey.” Alia said as she answered the call. “Alia? Its me.” Yoongi said before the secretary could speak. “Yoongi? Why are you calling from my office?” she asked. “I need to talk to you but you're not answering your phone.” he said, hoping that she would give in and either meet him or at least accept his calls. “Look, I’m really busy right now. I don’t have time to talk.”

 

“Alia, please! We need to talk!” he said before she had the chance to hang up. There was silence on the other end of the line. “Alia?” he heard her sigh quietly. “We don’t have anything to talk about.” She said as the line went dead. “I’m so sorry.” The secretary said. Yoongi sighed, trying to keep his frustration in check. “Don’t apologise. If Alia says anything about this just say you don’t know anything about it. I’ll tell her that you weren’t here. Say you were in the bathroom or something. If she gives you any hassle about it, just call me.” He said as he pulled out a business card from his pocket and handed it to her. “Thanks.”

 

“Do you know which office Alia is visiting today?” he asked. She quickly checked out a note on her computer. “She's in Suwon today.” She answered. “It’s the weekend tomorrow so she won't be working, right?” he asked. She shrugged. “Sometimes she comes in during the weekend if she has things to catch up on, but the building is usually empty at the weekends.” Yoongi nodded. “Thanks again for your help today. Remember and call me if Alia gives you any trouble, ok?” she nodded. “Thanks Mr Yoongi, I will.”

 

He left the building trying to work out whether or not he should head to Suwon to try and meet up with Alia. He knew it was about an hour and half’s drive to her office there, but what he didn’t know was how long she was going to be there. He could arrive there and she could be leaving to return to Seoul right now. He finally decided against going to Suwon. Instead, he decided that it was time for him to have a little chat with someone else. He pulled out his phone, searching his contacts for the name he needed. “Hey, are you free to meet up?”

 

“I’ll text you the address. Meet me there.” He hung up the call and text the address of a restaurant that was close by. “It’s time to get to the bottom of this.” He said as he put his car into gear and tore out of the car park.