Chapter 06

Not According to Plan

Alia lay in bed, listening to the faint sounds coming from her kitchen. She could hear Yoongi’s voice as he sang along with the radio. His voice may not have been perfect, but it still sent shivers down her spine. He came into her room a few times to check up on her, after scolding her for not being asleep the first time, she pretended to be asleep after that, forcing her body to remain still when he rested his hand on her forehead to check her temperature. She still couldn’t work out how he couldn’t hear the frantic beating of her heart every time he entered the room.

 

As she lay there, she tried to work out why she had so suddenly become so self-conscious in Yoongi's presence. She figured that she hadn’t been expecting any company, so she had taken absolutely no time to care for her appearance. She hadn’t brushed her hair since Saturday, and her pyjamas were more in the ‘wear when you're alone’ category. She heard Yoongi stop singing, his rough voice replaced by his footsteps. She turned over, putting her back to the door as she squeezed her eyes shut, trying her best to even out her breathing. Her breath hitched just a little when she heard her bedroom door open, Yoongi’s steps muffled by the thick carpet.

 

She felt the bed dip behind her as Yoongi sat on the edge of her bed. “Alia?” he whispered as he gently shook her shoulder. “Alia?” he said, this time a little louder. She let out a groan, as if he had just woken her up. She turned her head, blinking at him, hoping her acting skills were good enough to fool him. “Sit up and eat something, ok?” he said as she noticed the tray he had placed on her dresser. She sat up, Yoongi helping her arrange her pillows to ensure she was sitting comfortably. He brought over the tray, a bowl of porridge and a cup of her favourite tea ready for her. “Sorry its nothing fancy, but I figured since you don’t have much of an appetite that this would be the easiest for you to eat.” He said as he handed her the spoon. The thought of feeding her entered his mind for a split second, but he pushed the thought away, not wanting to overstep the boundaries of their relationship.

 

She scooped up some of the porridge, the smell making water. She had barely eaten the day before, unless you counted the entire tub of ice cream, which had left her feeling sick. She hadn’t bothered getting out of bed in the morning, and therefore hadn’t eaten. She could feel Yoongi’s eyes on her as she tried the porridge, obviously waiting for her reaction. A smile played on her lips. “This is actually pretty good.” She said as she took another mouthful. A quick, relieved laugh made its way out of his mouth, before his usual, cocky nature kicked in. “Of course it is, I made it.” He said with a grin.

 

She chuckled quietly before continuing to eat. Yoongi sat beside her, reminding her to drink her tea while it was still hot. He didn’t make a move until she had finished the entire contents of the bowl. “That was delicious, thank you.” She said, giving him a grateful smile. “You look a lot better already, you’ve got a bit of colour back in your cheeks. You should go take a shower and change into some clean pyjamas, those ones are probably kinda gross by now.” He said, thinking that if she had a fever that she’d probably been sweating a lot.

 

She nodded, happy for the opportunity to sort out her appearance a little. Yoongi took the tray back into the kitchen while she grabbed some clothes to change into and headed into the bathroom to shower. She took her time to shower, making sure she shaved her legs, used both of her face washes instead of just one before she finally left the bathroom, the mirror completely steamed up from the heat from the shower. She had changed into a comfortable t-shirt and a pair of yoga pants, wanting to still be comfortable. Yoongi was waiting for her in the living room, his phone in hand.

 

He looked up at her as she sat on the couch opposite his, her hair still wrapped in a towel. “How do you feel?” he asked as he slipped his phone back into his pocket. “Better.” she said as she sat comfortably, curling her legs underneath her. “That’s good. I was quite worried about you, you know.” He said, giving her a pointed look. “I can’t believe that I had to find out you were sick from your secretary. What if I hadn’t gone into your work today? I would never have known you were sick!” he complained. She frowned at his words, suddenly feeling guilty for not telling him, but a part of her wondered why she would need to tell him. They weren’t actually dating and it’s not like they had planned on meeting today. His visit to her office had been spontaneous.

 

“Anyway, it doesn’t matter, but next time, let me know, ok?” he said. She nodded, not in the mood to argue. Despite the fact that she had spent the last day and a half lying around her apartment, she felt exhausted. She hadn’t slept as well as normal the past few days. Mainly because almost all of her thoughts concentrated on Yoongi… she didn’t know when Yoongi had become so important to her. She knew that they had become allies due to her plan at the wedding, and they had developed a real friendship from there. But what she couldn’t work out was when her heart had started to skip a beat when he messaged or called her. When had her hands started to get a little sweaty and her smile a little bigger in his presence? When did she start feeling the need to look good for him, even when they were just chilling at one of their homes with junk food and movies?

 

Even though she couldn’t pinpoint exactly when all these signs had started to appear, she was certain she knew what they meant. She had fallen for Min Yoongi for real.

 

Yoongi looked over at her, her eyes unfocused as she stared off into space. A stupid comedy was playing on the TV, and usually she would have been laughing the whole way through it, but he could tell that something was wrong. “Alia?” he frowned when she didn’t respond. “Alia?” he said a little louder, making her start a little. “What?” she said, as she turned to face him, looking confused. “Are you ok? You were spacing out there.” He said, his voice full of concern. She gave him a smile, but he could tell it was forced. “Yeah, I’m totally fine. I think I just need to rest or something.” She said as she moved to stand up, Yoongi instantly by her side, holding onto her arm to support her.

 

He guided her through to her room, carefully pulling the blankets around her once she lay down. “Try and get some more sleep, ok? Can I get you anything?” she shook her head. “No, I’m ok thanks. You should go home. I’m just going to sleep anyway.” She said. “Don’t worry about me and sleep.” He said. She frowned a little, not sure if that meant he was going to leave or stay. She didn’t want to tell him to go, not wanting to appear rude, plus there was a small part of her that was happy that he was there with her. She closed her eyes, sleep quickly claiming her.

 

Yoongi sat with her until her breathing had evened out. He slipped his hand into hers, playing with her fingers. He gently moved some hair away from her face, frowning at the still damp strands. “I should have made her dry her hair properly.” He muttered to himself with a sigh. He stayed with her long after she fell asleep, his mind full of thoughts of her. He couldn’t work out why her being sick affected him so much. The thought of her being in pain made his heart hurt. He figured that it was just from the shock of hearing she was sick and the fact that they had become close friends since their fateful meeting at the wedding all those months ago.

 

She to her side putting her back him which meant that her hand slipped out of his. She sighed quietly as she settled into her new position. Yoongi stayed with her a little longer before slipping out of her bedroom and heading into her second bedroom which had become his. He changed his clothes and went back into the living room. He knew that she would probably sleep for the rest of the night, but he wanted to be there for her if she woke up. He flicked through his movie choices before settling on something to watch, making sure to keep the volume down low so that he wouldn’t disturb Alia, and so that if she called for him, he would be able to hear her.